The Cave - Ron Gilbert, Double Fine and Sega Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Deleted user 23 January 2013 19:27:05
    very point n click this, going to wait for the steam version
  • wobbly_Bob 23 Jan 2013 21:14:26 1,898 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok pissed off... Me and other half played the trail. We got to the bit where you jump off the cliff with the after doing the hot dog quest and it asks you to buy the game. We did. Now we can't go any further. I we get 2 characters off the cliff then it just does nothing. Can't select 3fd character.
  • neilka 23 Jan 2013 21:39:17 16,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Someone seems to have found a way to fix it here (unless that's also you!)
    http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8431/

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• wobbly_Bob 23 Jan 2013 21:54:14 1,898 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for that link :) i came here to say I "solved" " the problem. Had to quit the game and start a fresh adventure. SIGH still not too much bother since its right at the start. I'm released I thought it was fubared. Enjoying it so far!
  • Daeltaja 23 Jan 2013 22:02:49 1,160 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Played through the demo, didn't like it one bit. The humour was forced and not the slightest bit funny and that's coming from a huge RG fan. Maybe I've just grown tired of it but I found it almost cringey.

Found it all rather boring and uninspired. Maybe it's the mood I'm in but I'm skipping a purchase, for now.
  • neilka 23 Jan 2013 23:16:03 16,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's up on Steam!

• barchetta 23 Jan 2013 23:27:42 1,369 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh, I should have loked here re the zoom bug between zones 1 and 2 (immediately after purchasing the unlock). Didn't restart but did find save/reload allowed me to zoom in on character down at the bottom.

Pretty basic bug I think, shame as it makes me fear for the rest of the game!

However, liking the humour and the v.o. work is nicely done.
  • barchetta 23 Jan 2013 23:31:20 1,369 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The character selection has me wondering if the puzzles realign to your selection or if there are certain branching areas reachable only by particular characters. haven't read any reviews - don't want to spoil it.

Reminds me of an old game... was it Lost Vikings with the constant team juggling?
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 24 Jan 2013 08:15:02 10,861 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok, both the Wii U and 360 versions are currently suffering from a hideous frame rate inconsistency. Not tried the PS3 version. Hope a patch is being worked on...
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 24 Jan 2013 09:52:04 622 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And Sega being the publisher makes this yet another game that doesn't appear in my region on Steam (only Sega stuff I can ever see are the retro games, megadrive to DC). Companies really need to stop regionalising download markets as it defeats the whole point of the convenience of getting the titles. (particularly when you can use resellers to get around some of the restrictions anyway)
  • aeschylus 24 Jan 2013 10:19:02 446 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Enjoying it a lot, the Carnival area is pure brilliance, I am surprised these frame rate issues were not picked up in testing..

I think this is a 8/10
  • andytheadequate 24 Jan 2013 10:30:22 8,317 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    aeschylus wrote:
    Enjoying it a lot, the Carnival area is pure brilliance, I am surprised these frame rate issues were not picked up in testing..

I think this is a 8/10
    They will have been, but just ignored so it wouldn't delay the release.

Does this have multiplayer?
  • NOSAVIOUR 24 Jan 2013 11:24:31 2,809 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, you all play on same screen though and take it turns if characters are in different sections.
  • mikeck 24 Jan 2013 11:37:56 1,936 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx Out of interest what is your region, because we try and ensure that our games are released everywhere as often as possible.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 24 Jan 2013 12:54:57 622 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx Out of interest what is your region, because we try and ensure that our games are released everywhere as often as possible.
    South Korea, as I said it seems to be a few companies with problems of being available here but Sega are one of the worst as the only non dreamcast/Mega Drive game I can see is Sonic & SEGA Allstars Racing (which is listed as published by Sumo not Sega). Everything else by Doublefine is available.
  • MetalDog 24 Jan 2013 13:28:09 23,861 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spent lunch with this - good so far. Just got past the bit with the hot dog, which took me waaay too long to work out.
    Knight, Adventurer and Scientist for me.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• CaptainKid 24 Jan 2013 13:33:24 140 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Downloading now! I hope this is funny, not enough humour in games lately (last 15 years)
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Jan 2013 13:35:37 26,316 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RPS didn't think much of this.
  • CaptainKid 24 Jan 2013 13:44:23 140 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Daeltaja wrote:
    Played through the demo, didn't like it one bit. The humour was forced and not the slightest bit funny and that's coming from a huge RG fan. Maybe I've just grown tired of it but I found it almost cringey.

Found it all rather boring and uninspired. Maybe it's the mood I'm in but I'm skipping a purchase, for now.
    Demo? Don't see a demo on Steam..
  • NOSAVIOUR 24 Jan 2013 13:46:46 2,809 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Enjoyed the demo enough that I'm now downloading. Any idea which characters are best to start with. So far I like the idea of the kids having to escape their home and the time traveller. Don't think I'll play through more than once.
  • aeschylus 24 Jan 2013 14:27:12 446 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /Jeez

which reviewer said the puzzles were easy!!!

Do the time traveller character, that bit gave me a bloody headache
  • Ultrasoundwave 24 Jan 2013 14:34:28 3,388 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    For me personally, Games™ are my trusted source (i agree with about 95% of their reviews) and they have scored this 6/10.

Basically saying that there are some fantastic ideas in there and it feels like a great game is buried underneath somwhere, some glaring flaws let it down though.

Disappointing.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• NOSAVIOUR 24 Jan 2013 14:36:12 2,809 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loving it so far. Turned off, couldn't stop thinking of it so turned back on. Can see me being addicted in bite sized pieces.
  • MetalDog 24 Jan 2013 14:54:45 23,861 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep - personally I'm going to see how I feel about it, rather than rely on reviews to colour my vision. If it was a more expensive game or I hadn't pre-ordered it TF2 HAT AHOY reviews might sway me, but as it stands, I'm enjoying it - screw what the reviewers say =D

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• mikeck 24 Jan 2013 15:36:38 1,936 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx That's strange, it definitely should have been released in SK.
  • CaptainKid 24 Jan 2013 21:34:03 140 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm playing it on PC now.
    Graphics are very nice, especially the knight looks very cool. Environments to. I highly prefer this over Trine 2.
    Controls are not as bad as I thought although definitely not platformer worthy. Humour is alright. Problem is.. there is so little of it since there is not much dialogue.

But above "problems" are made ten times worse because I end up wandering the cave lost. looking for an item or chamber. Even when I know HOW to solve the puzzle. So this means 15 minutes of searching without dialogue and jumping, climbing etc.

This game definitely needs a map! (obviously with greyed out parts which you haven't discovered yet) Or a zoom button or something!
    Also a "teleport other 2 characters to my location button" since the game already does that automatically anyway if you wander to far.

I found a "pass camera" button under controls but that doesn't seem to do anything, perhaps a bug?

There is also is a sever lack of story. Not even the environments really tell a story. For example in the beginning you have to steal some stuff in the off limits personnel area, but that whole section looks nothing like a personnel area. In fact I thought I accidentally skipped that part or something.

Also the cave contradicts itself, continuity is lost. For example he says specifically nobody can die in the cave. And then later on continues making jokes about how the other adventurers died and he has to get rid of the bodies, it's a running gag almost. This sounds like nitpicking but since there is not that much dialogue to begin with..

Edited by CaptainKid at 21:36:24 24-01-2013
  • aeschylus 24 Jan 2013 22:01:56 446 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @CaptainKid

Just finished it with my first 3 characters, can recommend easily my GOTY

I jest of course, it was good, bloody good in places...

Any the problem is CaptainKid I think a lot of the running about is filler, if you made it so you could carry more or a teleport the game would be over very quickly, yes it can get a little annoying, but what I do in a new area is just explore look for the obvious solutions then do them and then the rest
  • CaptainKid 24 Jan 2013 23:28:18 140 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @aeschylus
    My problem is, I get lost. I spend 15 minutes looking for that one path that contains that one item I need.

I need a map or a zoom out function. As it is right now you can only see the corridor you are in most of the time and not one floor up or down.
  • neilka 25 Jan 2013 00:45:59 16,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think there's going to be a lot of people upset about one particular puzzle in the time traveller's area - to move the boulder in the past you have to hold down the push/pull button and switch characters at the same time. I've just wasted an hour on this, knowing what the solution was but not how to do it!

• Sid-Nice 25 Jan 2013 01:00:45 15,851 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I found the demo (Wii U) a tad underwhelming; I certainly expected the demo to last more than 10 minutes especially with 950MB of data. The demo was over so quickly that I thought I must be doing something wrong at the end.

I did enjoy my play through and I was left wanting more; but not £9.99 more.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Page

of 5 First / Last