Minecraft XBLA Page 64

• Page

of 69 First / Last

• ubergine 4 Apr 2013 18:22:05 2,285 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The 3 good seeds I had for TU7/8 generate horribly in TU9. Villages are half formed or completely gone. The best mountains formations are likewise half missing. The beaches aren't additions to the coastlines but replace existing areas and aren't an improvement.

And the new gravel texture is vile.

If you can defeat the enderdragon it drops enough xp for 77 levels or so. I only did it in creative mode so far to test it out, looks like quite the challenging fight given you have to destroy these healing-crystal things before the dragon is vulnerable.

Other than that, some new blocks, and a bunch of new bugs. Apparently people with Silver accounts can't start their saved games, either old or new ones, unless they disconnect the Xbox from the Internet altogether! I haven't tried opening up my old worlds yet to see what's changed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Deleted user 4 April 2013 18:59:00
    ubergine wrote:
    The 3 good seeds I had for TU7/8 generate horribly in TU9. Villages are half formed or completely gone. The best mountains formations are likewise half missing. The beaches aren't additions to the coastlines but replace existing areas and aren't an improvement.
    Isn't it a case of starting a new world to take advantage of new features like the other updates?
  • thedaveeyres 4 Apr 2013 19:00:54 10,806 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Woo, new patch! Looking forward to starting a new world with my daughter this weekend.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• ubergine 5 Apr 2013 02:41:47 2,285 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Montgomery_Flange

You don't have to. Any TU7 / 8 world should have an End portal. TU9 puts a version of beaches back in and fiddles with some aspects of generation. They aren't improvements on what I have in my existing worlds.

• S.J.Rogers 5 Apr 2013 13:51:36 3,557 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So no jungles in this update..? :(
  • SomaticSense 5 Apr 2013 14:54:47 8,093 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nope. No jungles.

To be honest though they need to increase the map size before they start adding new biomes, or else we'll have biomes of a pitiful size in order to cram them all in, and thats if they spawn at all. Can you imagine a complete lack of a desert because the game had to make room for a jungle area?
  • S.J.Rogers 5 Apr 2013 15:00:31 3,557 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    True, although i would prefer a Jungle to the Desert.
  • SomaticSense 5 Apr 2013 15:05:45 8,093 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For about an hour. And then you realise you want glass and have to go on a month long expedition to find the 34 blocks of sand which spawned between the 50,000 blocks of dirt.
  • S.J.Rogers 5 Apr 2013 16:03:21 3,557 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also very true, i would just like an Ocelot to keep the bloody Creepers away..! :)
  • ubergine 7 Apr 2013 17:20:42 2,285 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jungles will certainly make finding a good seed very interesting...

Here's my first TU9 seed I consider worthwhile:

The Amber Spyglass

(it's the book I'm reading)

great terrain, every biome except Snowy Plains (which is a good thing to lack) rivers etc. only one NPC's village and not near spawn, so it's more "survival" like in that you'll need to find your own food. Stronghold and nether fortress are great, seems to be only one mineshaft and hard to find, but it is epic. All resources you could want. It's a good, challenging survival seed. I play on hard because I am.

• timetraveler 8 Apr 2013 06:46:51 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I like Minecraft on PC more. How do you prefer to play? Survival mode or creative? :D
  • ubergine 8 Apr 2013 08:18:18 2,285 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Survival. Creative is only useful for quickly checking out a seed or figuring out a redstone device before returning to the survival map.

• L_Franko Moderator 8 Apr 2013 10:31:11 9,694 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grabbed a copy of this yesterday after wanting it for quite some time and after spending a good amount of time in the training world learning what's what I started a survival game. Love it, built my first house and got some tools and wepons up together then began to venture out and explore very briefly before ending my session there.

Even from my one session I can see the possibilites are near endless with the crafting and building but what I want to know (never played Minecraft before on any platform) is am I working towards something? Do I just need to keep exploring the world I'm in? I feel like I am missing something.
  • Raiko101 8 Apr 2013 10:55:38 6,168 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really wish they didn't play about with the lighting in the latest patch. It breaks down all too often...

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• ubergine 8 Apr 2013 12:13:42 2,285 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    Grabbed a copy of this yesterday after wanting it for quite some time and after spending a good amount of time in the training world learning what's what I started a survival game. Love it, built my first house and got some tools and wepons up together then began to venture out and explore very briefly before ending my session there.

Even from my one session I can see the possibilites are near endless with the crafting and building but what I want to know (never played Minecraft before on any platform) is am I working towards something? Do I just need to keep exploring the world I'm in? I feel like I am missing something.
    The game is several games. It's an exploration game, a collect-a-thon, a sandbox building game, an electrical engineering game and a kind of RPG-lite. You play any or all of the games within the game.

The addition of The End just now gives it one long term goal with a definite... end. Defeating the enderdragon isn't a very difficult fight really, but it's a long way there from the start of a new map.

Find resources for armour and weapons, and preferably enchanting

Make a nether portal, collect resources from nether to activate end portal and make potions

kill a bunch of endearment

find and activate end portal

survive The End.

That's the direct path, more or less, but like Skyrim, you aren't likely to do any quests in a straight line. The game has so many systems to toy with - I've been playing for a year now and still haven't looked at note blocks or played the new music discs.

• L_Franko Moderator 8 Apr 2013 12:41:52 9,694 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok cool, cheers ubergine.

I'm look forward to getting back on the game and just tooling around at the moment to be honest I just wasn't sure if I should be heading towards something or not. Glad I'm not and I can just go nuts in my own time.

Really looking forward to seeing what this game has to offer.
  • andytheadequate 8 Apr 2013 14:32:55 8,108 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I really wish they didn't play about with the lighting in the latest patch. It breaks down all too often...
    It has been utterly broken! Can't believe that wasn't spotted in testing...
  • Raiko101 8 Apr 2013 14:36:27 6,168 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In some cases you can fix it by altering the lighting in the environment with a torch, but sometimes it's stubborn.

• S.J.Rogers 8 Apr 2013 16:11:05 3,557 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I started a new map on Friday to try out the update and my new map is quite a good one.

Directly below spawn is a Zombie spawn and 7 diamonds. All the biome's are there and nice rivers too. The Mushroom Biome is nice and big and right close to spawn is a desert with a lava pool and water pool right next to it = EASY Obsidian... .

I went to the Nether very close to the spawn and it opened in a Nether Wart patch and right behind is a HUGE fortress with 2 Blaze spawns and other things.

Also there are 2 villages back in the normal world and both have a Blacksmith with a chest = free diamonds and armor...

All in all its a very good map. I am back into work on Wednesday and will post the seed if anyone is interested..?
  • L_Franko Moderator 9 Apr 2013 10:21:07 9,694 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had a great sesson last night and got lots of mining and building done, I managed to dig a tunnel between two hills and built a house on each one. This idea came about because when I opened my door one morning two Creepers where waiting for me. Now I have an escape.

Just before I turned the game of I watched the sunrise through a well placed window in my second place and spotted a scary looking monster, it was tall, skinny and extremely fast, zipping around the landscape. What the hell was it?

Edited by L_Franko at 10:21:55 09-04-2013
  • AcidSnake 9 Apr 2013 10:33:44 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @L_Franko:
    Don't look at it!
    Well, don't look at it directly as it easily offends and it can teleport too...
    It's an Enderman...Warps around and moves blocks around...Hates water...

If you look directly at it it becomes aggressive, otherwise it's quite calm...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• L_Franko Moderator 9 Apr 2013 10:41:12 9,694 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah, cheers for the info.
    If they hate water then I small be building a moat around my next building project.
  • AcidSnake 9 Apr 2013 10:43:41 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They'll teleport over...

Though another of it's weaknesses is it needs at least three blocks height of empty space to move...

So if your ceiling is at a height of two blocks he can't get to you...
    Or just part of your house as an Enderman shelter...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• L_Franko Moderator 9 Apr 2013 10:47:46 9,694 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Understood, I think I might just do that.
    I'm guessing it isn't a good idea to get in a fight with one.

Edited by L_Franko at 10:48:21 09-04-2013
  • AcidSnake 9 Apr 2013 10:53:29 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're quite powerful IIRC...

• Raiko101 9 Apr 2013 12:46:30 6,168 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really wish I stuck to one map, rather than starting over and over again. All those wasted hours of progress. This time it'll be different.

Hopefully...

• ubergine 9 Apr 2013 13:23:04 2,285 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @L_Franko You honestly don't have to worry about the endermen too much. They are passive u less you attack them or look directly at their faces - which can happen by accident.

If you don't have Armour they might make short work of you. you can protect yourself by jumping into water though. Some people keep a bucket of water in their inventory for that reason but... well, it's not that hard to avoid fights with them.

You can create an area safe from monsters by placing torches. That's the short version.

The whole game operates on predictable, understandable systems, them doesn't tell you what they are. Which is why there are extensive wikis on the game. most useful bit of knowledge is probably this: "Light" in the game has 15 levels. Sunlight is level 15 (and has some of its own properties) whereas light from a source you place is probably level 14, and decreased by one level each square away from the light source.

The "light level" of a block has / allows numerous things to take place, eg a certain amount is needed for plants to grow, while a LACK of light creates conditions where a monster can spawn. I think it is level 7 or under for monsters to spawn.

Monsters can spawn within a certain range around your position - I think it is something like "at least 25 blocks away and less than 125 blocks away" if there is sufficient space and darkness.

Because of all that, you can create a safe/r area around your houses by placing torches. That's the long version.

• L_Franko Moderator 9 Apr 2013 13:32:39 9,694 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So what you're saying is go nuts with the torches. Luckily I've already got a load of light source in my building already so I should be safe from a monster spawning in my safe zones.

I just remembered that I found a opening deep underground with some groaning coming from the darkness but I swiftly blocked it back up again as I was too scared to explore it. I'll go back tonight and torch that place up. Made a steel sword so should have a good enough weapon to deal with the nasties. As long as they come at me one by one.
  • ubergine 9 Apr 2013 14:00:36 2,285 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A torch every 10-15 blocks or so seems to do it. You get to instinctively know what works eventually - I don't literally count blocks, you can see the darkness and get a rough idea.

• robthehermit 9 Apr 2013 14:44:14 4,023 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dammit. I was out. I was safe. Now you're all dragging me back in. Why can't you all be excited about Terraria instead.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Page

of 69 First / Last