• Fatiguez 23 Jan 2012 21:32:26 8,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't
  • Deleted user 23 January 2012 22:03:15
    darkmorgado wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    Love it all but if I had to pick one.

Britain - Chicken Madras, Fish and Chips, Full English and a Chicken Dinner.
    Madras is South Indian.
    British winter/ autmn food is amazing. Casseroles, steak and kidney puddings etc, with well prepared veg - spring greens, whole root veg like carrots etc is unbeatable at times. And soups like pea and ham with a decent bread roll.

The summer food aint a patch on others though, but then at home we mostly have italian recipes or meditrainen dishes in the summer.

A shout as to go out to chorizo and Pepper (As in yellow pepper) paella. best dish ever.

But yeah italian and indian all the way. We had a guy from pakistan live in my flat at uni for 3 months, some of the food he cooked was spell binding, just think bombay potatoe dish but a lot lot better. Load of lentils and flavour.
  • RobTheBuilder 23 Jan 2012 22:35:49 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was surprisingly impressed by the food in Germany. Not the top end food, but things like Schitzel and the proper turkish kebabs.

I wouldn't it was the best food, but it's definitely under-appreciated.

There is much to be said for 5pm hangover kebab breakfasts in Berlin :D
  • Tonka 24 Jan 2012 07:05:04 20,213 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Döner Kebab?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• CosmicFuzz 24 Jan 2012 07:21:57 23,849 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scotland surely!

Haggis and black pudding!

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• Deleted user 24 January 2012 08:14:17
    Clearly Scotland.

We take all the best foods in the world and give them a Scottish twist by frying it. So we can't be beaten.
  • smoothpete 24 Jan 2012 09:37:33 31,490 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sport wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    I just had a bit of a Man Vs Food moment in the Indian restaurant, I was just by myself (smooth) and I significantly over-ordered, but me being me, finished all of it and now I feel sick and want to die. But goddamn it was delicious.
    After the burger thread, are you looking to eat yourself to death?
    Seems that way! I had a potato masala dosa, a veg thali, some battered cauliflower in spicy sauce, and some chana dhal.
  • AgeOfChaos 24 Jan 2012 09:54:10 255 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    A lot of my Chinese friends from uni were united in their dislike of British cuisine. Fish and chips being a particular dish of criticism, it's hard to disagee. As much as I enjoy fish and chips, after eating it I tend to feel ill.

Edited by AgeOfChaos at 11:02:52 24-01-2012
  • disusedgenius 24 Jan 2012 10:02:39 5,278 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AgeOfChaos wrote:
    Fish and chips being a particualr dish of criticism.
    Y'see, this I find a little strange - I've always found it an easy dish to 'sell'. Well, good fish and chips, anyway - the shitty stuff is becoming all too prevalent nowadays. I'm always surprised at how bad it is for after-pub munching as well. :(
  • Lexx87 24 Jan 2012 10:04:44 20,869 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    I remember when Gremmi was funny.
    He is funny, that post was funny.

Speak the truth hussy!

• disusedgenius 24 Jan 2012 10:18:25 5,278 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...and yet he still makes it feel fresh!
  • Tonka 24 Jan 2012 11:33:19 20,213 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Now I remember why I hate Gremmi.
    He has a tendency to stroke ecosses penis in a way that turns every other interesting thread into a tired old stand off between the two.

Get a room.

And save some space for Lexx and is tub of Vaseline

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• figgis 24 Jan 2012 12:54:24 7,376 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    figgis wrote:

Madras is South Indian.
    It's a British dish, as are all our main curry dishes. It's only the vegetarian stuff that's usually Indian.
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Jan 2012 13:32:45 232 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Greek, Indian.

Anything with a lot of flavour or spice.

I've travelled a lot so I could pick a lot of country specific dishes but generally it was the street food that was the best, like: Pani Puri in India, Pho Ba in Vietnam, Empanadas in Argentina.

Edited by UnblestCarpet at 13:36:00 24-01-2012
  • DaM 24 Jan 2012 13:47:22 12,985 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Regarding Scottish food, there are some excellent dishes like stovies, which is left over roast lamb or beef, stewed down with sliced potatoes, onions and loads of butters. Great peasant comfort food.

And I do think we excel in fusion cookery - the deep fried pizza as mentioned, also the kebab pizza, the macaroni pie. Wonder if a deep fried donner pizza would hold together....?

And I can make ecosse homesick just my mentioning roll and slice sausage or scotch pie.
  • Razz 24 Jan 2012 13:47:58 61,055 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For me, Malaysia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• UnblestCarpet 24 Jan 2012 14:03:49 232 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    figgis wrote:

Madras is South Indian.
    It's a British dish, as are all our main curry dishes. It's only the vegetarian stuff that's usually Indian.
    The basis is obviously Indian, it's just the name that is British. A lot of Indian curries are made with the same base gravy, with it staying the same whether using meat or not.

Yeah there are a lot of British names and variants of Indian Curries.

I'de say the average British/Indian takeaway curry is a saucy mess with a few lumps of meat floating about in it. It's a shame that people don't eat more vegetarian curries as they really are the tastiest!
  • figgis 24 Jan 2012 14:09:00 7,376 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spagetti Bolognase is likewise a British dish. the basis of the dish might be foreign but if its universally accepted on menus in our country and not known or eaten in the country of origin then it's a British dish.

The vegi indian stuff is often the best stuff to eat in a normal curry house.

Edited by figgis at 14:09:41 24-01-2012
  • Razz 24 Jan 2012 14:14:22 61,055 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You say that but some of the best curries I had were in Goa, meat based too. Though the best I had a Paneer Pea Curry, also in Goa.

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• jakuande 24 Jan 2012 14:18:23 192 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scottish breakfast : flat sausage and white pudding are genius, also
    "Scottish style" fish and chips with salt and sauce.

Best non-British cuisine : Korean, for carnivores everywhere Korean barbecue is amazing. They also make the best instant ramen : Shin Ramyun.
  • DaM 24 Jan 2012 14:26:25 12,985 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had forgotten about Korean, I have a bag of kimchi to finish, it's stinking the fridge out :)

I think the whole of South Asia cuisine is almost completely unknown by most folk. A lot of local "Chinese" restaurants have started to offer Thai and Malaysian food, but it's about as authentic as the Chinese food is. Thai - add some sweet chilli sauce, Malaysian, chuck in some coconut. Meh.

This has got me thinking about dinner, I have some defrosted steak and beansprouts and white cabbage. Beef yakiudon I think!
  • spamdangled 24 Jan 2012 14:27:31 27,276 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    figgis wrote:

Madras is South Indian.
    Wrong.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• kalel 24 Jan 2012 14:31:53 86,950 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Italians are the best cooks if not the best cuisine. Pretty much everywhere I ate in Italy was good, even the cheapest street food. I had some pizza outside the San Siro from a street seller than was probably the best pizza i've ever eaten. Laughable to think of the cat burgers you get outside White Hart Lane.

Actual cuisine is hard to say, but probably French as I'm a meat guy. Do like a bit of Turkish that said.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last