XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 130

• Page

of 130 First / Last

Next
  • LeoliansBro 28 Aug 2014 09:08:59 44,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You know what? I'm surprised by this game, looking back. It's a step down on the original in every way bar the graphics (and the perks). Fewer weapons. Less complex arming mechanics (ammo for instance, or what sqaddies can carry). Smaller maps. Fixed maps. Fewer alien races. No random placement of individuals, instead all in squads. Completely pre-set boss maps. Kill shots that are decided when you pull the trigger, rather than tracing a path (and allowing for accidental collaterol damage, deliberate mistargeting and friendly fire).

What is weirder is that none of these are particularly hard things to implement, so the simplification is our fault (as consumers and gamers) rather than the fault of the developers. but even that doesn't explain why maps couldn't be randomised. The closest to an explanation I can get is that the fixed maps, coupled with huge cocking holes in the side of every UFO, points to some unresolved pathfinding issues in the AI which they couldn't straighten out in time.

Still an amazing game, just one with a shorter lifespan that could have so easily been so much more.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• TAJB 28 Aug 2014 14:58:41 358 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I totally agree. I prefer the original which I played on the PC and I also played Terror from the Deep on PS1 and both games were awesome. Even just changing the option to plonk your base anywhere you want annoyed me. It seems alot like a downgrade from the original installments because they have made tweaks that aren't particularly fitting with the originals.

PSN: Tiny_WeeMan

• LeoliansBro 28 Aug 2014 15:16:21 44,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've played the original more than any other game. If EW had the same scope and breadth I could have done the same here.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 15:16:57 28-08-2014

• TAJB 28 Aug 2014 16:14:19 358 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    The original was so free compared to this incarnation but I fear that the original will never be brought back in its former glory. They will make it nice and easy to contol, simple to play and less fiddley for people without patience. For the people like us who have the patience and the aptitude to play games like the original we will have to settle with the dumbed down version.

• bunglebonce 28 Aug 2014 19:05:58 2,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe the only compromise on that front will be randomised maps in the next version, assuming the series will continue to the new generation.

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• robc84 28 Aug 2014 19:46:11 5,795 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've never played the originals, this is my first one and I love it.

Perhaps I should try out the earlier games.
  • TAJB 29 Aug 2014 09:35:20 358 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I think it may be because we played them first we prefer them. Similar to the theory that the first Final Fantasy game you play is your favorite (FFIX FTW!).

But I don't know anyone who played the originals after then new ones so I can't tell. If you can endure 1990's graphics and can get it to run properly on any new windows system (probably using a windows 98 or possibly XP emulator thingy) then you could get addicted all over again :p

• basmans_grob 29 Aug 2014 10:18:53 324 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    anybody played xenonauts?

http://www.xenonauts.com/

It's meant to be a far more like for like update. I never played the original either but love this game but it doesn't have a massive replay value.
  • jabberwoky 29 Aug 2014 11:19:46 527 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I may get xenonauts at some point. Have already played a bit with ufo alien invasion free game but it doesn't click with me.

The original did have its annoyances, like spending 2 hours getting all your guys off the skyranger, and too much micromanagement. Also there is a lot more focus on individual squad members in EW which is a big plus.

I think the dream scenario would be upping the squad limit to 10, random maps, (although designed maps are always better so this may be double edged if not done really well), multiple bases and increased/better ufo combat strategy, and the ability to choose your missions instead of doing one of 3. You would have to have only one central base with soldiers in it as trying to track 100 for example in 5 bases would be too much and they would lose their individuality.

That in a terror from the deep sequel would make a lot of peoples day.
  • LeoliansBro 17 Sep 2014 08:58:06 44,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've fallen in love with this game all over again.

Goddamn that whale mission, fucking heroic effort from my lads.

• robc84 17 Sep 2014 09:04:32 5,795 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Whale mission? Is that on EW?

I should really pick up my CI playthrough. Just about to assault the alien base....
  • convercide 17 Sep 2014 09:15:34 6,088 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah it's on EW. Absolute bastard of a mission.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• LeoliansBro 17 Sep 2014 09:16:58 44,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, it's my first EW playthrough and it was an absolute bitch, pitched perfectly. Felt like the nest escape from Aliens.

So, MEC units. Yes! Gene labs, yes kinda.

• Bremenacht 17 Sep 2014 09:28:37 18,693 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I've fallen in love with this game all over again.

Goddamn that whale mission, fucking heroic effort from my lads.
    I was astonished at how I got taken apart on that mission. Playing NI, I thought I'd been sufficiently cautious and used the right tactics for that enemy. Even with one bit of carelessness, I thought I'd got it sown up. I didn't realise what shit I'd played myself into until I was neck-deep in it. A thrilling mission.

If I ever get that far in CI, I suspect that's where my games will end.

Edited by Bremenacht at 09:29:29 17-09-2014
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Sep 2014 10:20:30 17,171 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love that mission. It feels properly epic and getting a turn-based game to feel epic should be applauded. There's more good stuff to come LB.

You are a factory of sadness.

• RedSparrows 17 Sep 2014 10:34:38 23,236 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The whale mission is superb. Turn-based gaming can be so intense when done right.
  • ThrowingTuba 17 Sep 2014 10:46:31 68 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Man, why don't they release this for Vita. I know there are probably a litany of valid business reasons why this isn't feasible but it would be amazing...

Any word on a sequel?
  • convercide 17 Sep 2014 10:53:54 6,088 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is definitely feasible on Vita as it was released on iPhone fairly recently. It seems like it is a very scalable game engine so would be easy enough to do.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• TAJB 17 Sep 2014 11:07:04 358 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Yeah you need 8GB SD card space before you can play it though. Need a bigger SD card before I download it for android.

• Tomo 4 Oct 2014 19:31:37 13,944 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just started this today, for the first time. And I lost 5 hours to it! Fucking excellent game!

I've named all my soldiers after my friends (and cat) and I'm dearly attached to them. I'm yet to lose any to the alien scum. The day I do... I will go ape I think.

The blending of genres just shouldn't work. I've played Advance Wars and similar things, where it's all about the battles. But building your fort in between missions is just as compelling as the missions themselves. Top notch design that.

I've got to go to a fucking party now, and all I think about is rescuing Australia before there is a meltdown.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 5 Oct 2014 06:15:19 11,399 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The best thing is that your friends on that squad will start doing some incredible things, like suddenly getting three head shots in a row, or ending up with psionic abilities or some shit like that. It's great! You make me wanna play it again now. :-)

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• SirScratchalot 5 Oct 2014 12:58:36 7,876 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @jabberwoky This is my main compaint as well. There's no point in moving anyone if they might see an enemy, thus waking them up.

Would much prefer enemies that move around the map with some purpose. Never advance with your last move or suddenly you will have created new enemies that will sometimes run into areas of the map where you already had sightline.

It's a bit bizarre that this is the actual way it works.
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Oct 2014 13:14:37 17,171 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, I think it is fair that the Sectoid's and the thin men do not move around the map as generally they are doing their thing to the corpses so it makes sense that they would be static.

Added to that, I'm sure Cyberdiscs and some other enemies do move around the map a bit but that might just be my imagination.

You are a factory of sadness.

• LeoliansBro 5 Oct 2014 13:34:36 44,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are patrol routes for the aliens. You'll sometimes see then turn up in their turn, which is helpful for you as they scarper and don't get a shot off.

• Tomo 5 Oct 2014 14:17:02 13,944 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Has anyone played this on iOS? Specifically on an iPhone 4S? I am seriously tempted to get it on my phone too, I'm enjoying it that much, but I'm worried about the frequency with which it might crash. Shelling out 7 quid for a buggy mess, I do not want.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last

Next