Rock Band, Guitar Hero and all that guff

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • kalel 27 Oct 2011 12:29:08 87,180 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hello

Short version – I want Rock Band 3, and initially I probably only really want it with one guitar, although two would be good. That said, a guitar and a keyboard would also be good. Not so interested in drums.

I seemed to have missed the boat on all the various packs, and don’t seem to be able to find the game with a guitar bundled anywhere, if this ever existed (which I presume it must have done).

However, I notice there are various Guitar Hero packs around, plus something called Band Hero which seems good value.

So, I really have no clue what to get and could do with some help. What games are compatible with what songs? If I get Band Hero is Rock Band doing to work with it? etc etc

So in short I want the best value set with the most range of games that will work on it, or some rough idea of the current “thing to get”.

Cheers.
  • TheSaint 27 Oct 2011 12:32:50 14,317 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the Rock Band website has a compatibility chart you might find useful.

http://www.rockband.com/compatibility
  • nickthegun 27 Oct 2011 12:32:56 59,537 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The guitars are much of a muchness. Get the best value guitar pack (probably a guitar hero) and pick up the rest of the 'solus' games cheaply from almost everywhere.

All the guitars work with all of the games, with the exception of one or two of the shittier features.

The keyboard hasnt come down in price much. Ive kept my eye on it for a while and it hasnt dropped to less than 70 quid anywhere, probably because no one bought any stock as they knew it would flop on its arse.

Also, you can get DJ Hero 2 deck and game for £19.99 instore at game if thats your thing too.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 27 Oct 2011 12:34:17 87,180 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I think the Rock Band website has a compatibility chart you might find useful.

http://www.rockband.com/compatibility
    Useful, thanks.
  • melv 27 Oct 2011 12:41:51 57 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kalel - Rock band 3 never came as as guitar bundle so that will be why you can't find a bundle.

Keyboard bundle for £54.00 at Tesco direct if you're interested.

Description_here
  • kalel 27 Oct 2011 12:49:36 87,180 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OK ta. That explains a lot.

Is the Matcatz guitar the "official" one?
  • Zomoniac 27 Oct 2011 12:54:54 7,827 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The guitars are much of a muchness. Get the best value guitar pack (probably a guitar hero) and pick up the rest of the 'solus' games cheaply from almost everywhere.

All the guitars work with all of the games, with the exception of one or two of the shittier features.
    I would disagree strongly with that. The later Rock Band guitars are way ahead of the rest (I use the McCartney bass from the Beatles LE and love it). They're also much longer so easier for adults. Plus once you get to expert on RB some of those solos are nigh on impossible without the solo buttons.

And they don't all work with everything, some of the early GH games (2, 3 and A definitely, and I think WT and M too) don't support Rock Band guitars. All RB games will take any guitar though.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 Oct 2011 13:01:24 6,654 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You post in the hiphop thread, why not get dj hero?
  • melv 27 Oct 2011 13:04:00 57 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kalel - Yes, the mad catz ones are the official ones. Mad catz are re-releasing rock band 3 later this year, although i can't remember if that's just in the US.
  • kalel 27 Oct 2011 13:06:09 87,180 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    You post in the hiphop thread, why not get dj hero?
    It appeals to me but not in the same way, and I wouldn't have time for both.
  • mrpon 27 Oct 2011 13:09:52 28,791 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Surprised you got the WAF for this! ;)

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• nickthegun 27 Oct 2011 13:18:13 59,537 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:

I would disagree strongly with that. The later Rock Band guitars are way ahead of the rest (I use the McCartney bass from the Beatles LE and love it). They're also much longer so easier for adults. Plus once you get to expert on RB some of those solos are nigh on impossible without the solo buttons.
    The Rock Band expert solos are ok on a GH guitar, you dont 'need' the solo buttons and, admittedly, I havent played with a Rock Band guitar since RB1, but I found the GH ones had a better action, with better placed buttons.

The length isnt a huge problem either. Im not exactly a small chap, but the GH guitars size has never bothered me.

But, yeah, the RB guitars dont work with the early GH games, but its far more likely he is going to find a GH bargain guitar than a RB one.

• kalel 27 Oct 2011 13:20:16 87,180 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Surprised you got the WAF for this! ;)
    WAF?
  • evilashchris 27 Oct 2011 13:21:06 6,973 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rockband guitars are better than GH's, for the simple reason that the strum control doesn't click on them.

Hate listening to the clickety-click of GH guitars.

Twitter: @COToole

• mrpon 27 Oct 2011 13:21:11 28,791 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    C'mon! Wife Approval Factor.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• nickthegun 27 Oct 2011 13:24:24 59,537 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    evilashchris wrote:
    Rockband guitars are better than GH's, for the simple reason that the strum control doesn't click on them.

It provides no feedback without the click, you mental!

• kalel 27 Oct 2011 13:29:18 87,180 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    C'mon! Wife Approval Factor.

Oh I seee.

Actually it’s for her benefit. She’s been not so subtly asking about the various bundle options (Christmas is looming) and so I thought I’d help her out by not so subtly putting some bits on my Amazon wishlist (which she also not so subtly suggested I updated).

Would Guitar Hero 5 be a good one? Seems to be some quite good value bundles for that around.
  • Tricky 27 Oct 2011 14:46:03 4,375 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    evilashchris wrote:

It provides no feedback without the click, you mental!
    I've never known anyone not hit the end stop on the strum action when playing on either the GH or RB guitars - that's all the feedback you need. I'm with Chris on this - fucking clicking shitty GH guitars do my head in and I hate the fret buttons being raised out of the neck like they are. It's far easier to do note slides with the RB one and they're easier to locate by feel.
  • terminalterror 27 Oct 2011 14:59:17 18,937 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MadCatz are rereleasing Rock Band 3 and lots of the various instruments for this "holiday season" in the US. A quick google didn't show whether they'll be doing the same thing in the UK.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next