Wifi Analyzer software suggestions

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 15 Oct 2011 18:03:53 2,433 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My wifi is playing silly buggers and I want to know what's wrong. My xbox disconnects randomly, as does my wife's Galaxy S2 and our laptop. Tried the Talk Talk technical helpline, they've just sent me a new router, but it's still doing it. I've checked all the settings and tried everything I and the tech people can think of.

I'd like to monitor my wifi/broadband connection and see what's happening. Can anyone recommend any good free software for doing this? I've just downloaded inSSIDer 2.0, but it's a little limited, as is the wifi analyzer on the wife's android phone.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Dirtbox 15 Oct 2011 18:36:48 77,652 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What router is it?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 15 Oct 2011 18:38:09 2,433 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Huawei HG521

• Dirtbox 15 Oct 2011 18:43:07 77,652 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's probably your problem. By all accounts it's a bit shit.

• Anthony_UK 15 Oct 2011 18:44:11 2,473 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Entered the thread under the wrong reasons :/

I'm at home ill and my vision is a little burry...read wifi as milf

/has nothing of worth to add and gets back under the quilt
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 15 Oct 2011 18:44:55 2,433 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A bit? It's fuckin awful. But I need to prove that it's the sub standard router that's causing the problems. If I can prove it, I can get them to give me a better one, or allow me to leave Talk Talk without penalty, as they're not giving me the service I signed up and am paying for.

• Dirtbox 15 Oct 2011 18:47:01 77,652 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why not just buy another router that you can use as you like with whoever you like?

I realise it's "the principle of the matter" but if you get another router then inform them that your problems have gone because you're not using their POS, you might be able to claim a little money back on your bill. Or return theirs and claim the cash off it against your bill.

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 15 Oct 2011 19:00:48 2,433 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No. I'm not paying out to prove a point. I've paid them for a service and I want that service, it's down to them to provide it, not me.
    They don't like me already cause I phone them up every year and threaten to leave unless they give me a discount on my bill. I've been with them for four years now and I pay fuck all a month.

• MMMarmite 15 Oct 2011 19:47:24 1,013 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Tried the Talk Talk technical helpline, they've just sent me a new router, but it's still doing it."

Tried telling them that? If the "sub standard" router is no good, why don't you just buy a better one?

"I've paid them for a service and I want that service", "I pay fuck all a month" - Looks like they're giving you the service you pay for ;)
  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2011 20:00:32 59,362 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Turn off everything that broadcasts on 2.4ghz, wireless phones, video senders, joypads and so on and so forth to see if anything is interfering with it and if you have acces to the configuration page, change the broadcast channel.

But the chances are someone near you has got a wireless n router that's molesting yours.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• JetSetWilly 15 Oct 2011 20:24:52 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try Net Stumbler. That'll tell you what networks are nearby and what channels they're on. To minimise interference you want your channel to be at least 4 away from nearby ones. So if you're surrounded by people using channel 1 try 5 etc.
  • Whatsfor 15 Oct 2011 20:35:36 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    inSSIDer.

Link.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 15 Oct 2011 20:57:08 2,433 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Already got inSSIDer, as stated above ;)

There's only one other router and that's next door. I've set it to a different channel already.

As I said, I'm not paying for a new router myself, it's up to them to provide what I need.

As for paying fuck all, that's no reason to provide a shite router! ;p

• DaM 15 Oct 2011 22:25:12 12,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can you flash the router's firmware with DD WRT? Might make it work a bit better....I imagine talktalk is the route of a lot of your issues :)
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 16 Oct 2011 10:53:33 2,433 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not supported by DD WRT, unfortunately. Talktalk was the cheapest (when it was Tiscali) and as I've got it down even cheaper it was sensible to stick with them. Thinking now that I may have to give them the finger.

• Matt_B 5 Mar 2014 07:58:14 444 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Okay so I work in a chalet, I have 15 guests with multiple internet devices. The internet stops working when they are all in the chalet. This is never normally an issue.

Essentially I have one guest who is a know it all about all subjects and I know that he is running this wifi analyzer and god know what else, he is boring me with stats on the router etc. How can I tell who is hogging all the internet. No one is running torrents or so I'm told.
  • Fab4 5 Mar 2014 08:01:39 5,986 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you have nerd credentials you could try Wireshark. We use it all the time at work when trying to determine connectivity issues.
  • Matt_B 5 Mar 2014 08:20:46 444 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks I'll look into it.
  • sickpuppysoftware 5 Mar 2014 08:40:23 1,322 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Matt_B wrote:
    Okay so I work in a chalet, I have 15 guests with multiple internet devices. The internet stops working when they are all in the chalet. This is never normally an issue.
    Have you considered donning a mask and killing them all one by one starting maybe with the ones who have sex first. Just remember to check the WIFI after each killing.

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• Page

of 1

Previous Next