Wii U Page 1350

• Page

of 1414 First / Last

• Raiko101 6 Aug 2014 21:11:30 6,720 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @zoolophage It's about putting as much space between yourself and the enemy. The more space, the greater the spread in bullets and the easier it is to dodge. You will naturally stick to one part of the screen, which is helpful because it allows you to focus on taking out one side of the enemy and exposing the core.

You also get bonus points for taking out multiple elements of the enemy in one go, so if it's not particularly risky, always try to blow up an entire arm, rather than chizzle away at each individual element.

If you expose and destroy the core, without blowing up much else, you'll get major bonus points.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Razz 6 Aug 2014 22:40:18 61,661 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nintendo Japan posted this today, probably just for Tanabata though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Raiko101 6 Aug 2014 23:12:34 6,720 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Majora's Mask is definitely sounding more likely at the moment. They'll be looking for big 3DS titles next year and Grezzo haven't been up to anything for a while.

• Great-Googly-Moogly 8 Aug 2014 22:05:51 1,305 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Bit late, but i just caught up with the Hyrule warriors direct.. i've gone from meh (initial reveal) to actually.... this might be pretty good.

There seems to be quite a lot to the game. I only ever played a demo of DW...perhaps 2 way back on the ps2. Although i played the demo multiple times ( meta game to see how many i could kill in demo time), i just figured the game would be that. So i never brought one.

The direct certainly picked up when it started to look at more RPG elements, and adventure mode looks awesome, so my interest as definitely piqued. Seems there is a lot more thought to the 'hey guys, lets combine zelda and DW, and rush it out'. The direct suggests a lot of work has gone into it.

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    Photography: www.joelstinton.wordpress.com
    Games: www.joelsgamereview.wordpress.com

• RyanDS 8 Aug 2014 22:07:37 9,860 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Genuine question. Is it actually possible to browse the wii u shop?

The store never works through a pc browser, and accessing it from the wii u itself I can see some highlighted games, but no fucking button that says "here is a list of wii u games."

I don't want to search, I want to see a list and prices, is this possible?
  • Great-Googly-Moogly 8 Aug 2014 22:10:19 1,305 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    To be honest i don't know, i never really looked through the e-shop in my time of owning the console. Just used it for the code stuff for mario kart.

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    Photography: www.joelstinton.wordpress.com
    Games: www.joelsgamereview.wordpress.com

• RyanDS 8 Aug 2014 22:13:23 9,860 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah found it. You need to go into the search bar and it has filters, I guess putting up a store front with sections is too much for the fucking lazy nintendo cunts.

It is a terrible store as well, with prices even worse than Sony and ms... Every good game (all four or five of them) is fucking fifty quid and there are no discounts or anything.

Cex tomorrow it is.
  • dogmanstaruk 8 Aug 2014 22:43:09 471 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RyanDS Remember Wii U digital games are also available from other retailers.

I'm digital on the Wii U but my main games e.g. Mario 3d, Zelda and Donkey were all bought from another retailer. Shop around and you can get good prices e.g. I got Kong for 33 quid.
  • Raiko101 9 Aug 2014 15:53:25 6,720 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Cex tomorrow it is.
    Maybe you could use the funds to purchase a deck of cards to tide you over until they release some games on the other consoles?

Seriously though, the pricing for retail games on the eShop is horrendous. That and the console doesn't have enough storage on it's own to support such downloads. The whole concept was clearly an after-thought for Nintendo and is something I tend to avoid.

On the other hand, the digital-only games are much more reasonably priced and are plentiful. That and the eShop isn't all that difficult to navigate if you take time to familiarise yourself with it. The Virtual Console games and the Indie games have their own sections on the front page. That and the Charts tend to filter out the best software for you, in each category.

• ValtermcPires 9 Aug 2014 16:26:51 7,792 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TBH seems a good deal, even if the game is bad..

Did anyone notice that "The Letter" from @TreeFallGames is on sale for an amazing $0.49!!!

Eat, Sleep, Play, Repeat! - Gaming Life

Consoles: PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance/DS/2DS/WiiU
    ID's: [size=3]Nintendo Network ID: ValtermcPires | 2DS FC: 4914-4851-8703 | PSN ID: [url="http://www.mypsntrophies.com/profile/Val

• mAc6 9 Aug 2014 16:34:16 736 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Americans getting the good stuff
  • Deleted user 9 August 2014 16:38:59
    Nintendo see Europe as an afterthought. Nothing changes.
  • mAc6 9 Aug 2014 16:42:53 736 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, let us pay in dollars too, Nintendo, jerks!
  • Raiko101 9 Aug 2014 17:04:43 6,720 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Whether you care much for Nintendo Life or not, they gave The Letter a massive 1/10.

The Letter isnít just paper thin, itís a half-formed thought scribbled almost illegibly across a post-it note. With a plot that never goes anywhere, gameplay thatís practically non-existent and cringe-worthy production values, we canít help but wonder how this even made it onto the Wii U eShop. It functions, but itís so disjointed, underdeveloped and brief that thereís no reason to give it your attention. Warn your friends, write it off, and then move on.

• Cappy 9 Aug 2014 18:17:21 12,119 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Let's see if Nintendo Life retain their newfound fervour to punish 'cringe-worthy production values' next time a Nintendo first or second party game hits their desk.
  • RyanDS 9 Aug 2014 21:07:47 9,860 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Picked up mario 3d world today.

Just completed the first section and have to say I am not seeing it. Bland, no innovation and generally uninspired. Pretty much mario 3d land, just not actually 3d...

It is not badk, it is just the same as the last ten Marios. Saying that it was improved with the wife playing and was rather chaotic.
    Mario galaxy was a reduced mario 64, and now nintendo have not even aimed for that and have done something safer and smaller. What happen to the nintendo that made wind waker and mario 64?

Edited by RyanDS at 21:08:21 09-08-2014
  • Raiko101 9 Aug 2014 21:30:35 6,720 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't get me started in Wind Waker, again.

• Pinky_Floyd 9 Aug 2014 21:50:38 8,388 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RyanDS Funny enough I bought 3DW at launch and STILL havent finished it though am still playing it, had it on today actually for a few levels.† I am on flower world.†

Couple of things, the first few worlds are pretty easy and if you just run from start to finish the levels will seem pretty short.

If you take the time to 3 star, 1 stamp and top of flag every level you will get a chance to appreciate some of the level design and witness some genius star placement.†

3DW is actually a pretty big game, there are a LOT of levels.† Many of them have some pretty genius moments.

Not even the mighty SM3DW can be all things to all men and if you dont like it, you dont like it.

For my money though, it really is one of the best single player games I have ever played.† I found it clever, consistently funny, pretty challenging and an almost constant pleasure to play.

But wtf do I know, I hold NSMBU right up there with Super Mario World so I quite obviously have a screw loose.† Or several.
  • JiveHound 9 Aug 2014 22:04:12 2,747 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Na, Mario Wii U is pretty legit. I rate it highly, once the challenge kicks in.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Deleted user 9 August 2014 22:12:47
    RyanDS wrote:
    Picked up mario 3d world today.

Just completed the first section and have to say I am not seeing it. Bland, no innovation and generally uninspired. Pretty much mario 3d land, just not actually 3d...

It is not badk, it is just the same as the last ten Marios. Saying that it was improved with the wife playing and was rather chaotic.
    Mario galaxy was a reduced mario 64, and now nintendo have not even aimed for that and have done something safer and smaller. What happen to the nintendo that made wind waker and mario 64?
    Yup. I agree.
    You'll be lucky finding many more that agree. Mario seems to get a free pass by most people regardless of what Nintendo do.

Edited by Adv at 22:58:07 09-08-2014
  • Pinky_Floyd 9 Aug 2014 23:53:30 8,388 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know not everyone will like the game, but saying it got a free pass because its Mario is a tad disengenuous.

Do you really think it got a free pass by EG to be chosen as game of the year?† Perhaps you do.
  • Deleted user 10 August 2014 00:11:21
    I tried reading EG's review of SMW3D, but gave up after the second paragraph to be fair.

The writer was clearly touching himself over it.
  • Pinky_Floyd 10 Aug 2014 00:17:19 8,388 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, there are 4 writers in the game of the year article, though if you didnt manage to get through the review its unlikely you got would get through that.† Have you played the game?

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 00:19:16 10-08-2014
  • Deleted user 10 August 2014 00:32:51
    Yeah. It's fun, but the scores I've seen are just ridiculous. It's getting praise left, right and center when it does very little beyond the basics of any platformer.

Reviews are meant to reflect the product and the writers opinion of it - which is fine. But, the problem starts when the writer has a love for the series pre-existing the latest installment. You wouldn't have someone who hates ice hockey reviewing the latest NHL game would you? So why would you have someone review a game they're clearly going to love.
  • Psiloc 10 Aug 2014 00:53:45 1,664 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, it should be reviewed by someone utterly indifferent to it.
  • MatMan562 10 Aug 2014 01:04:44 2,615 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Adv I think you'd have to try incredibly hard to find a games journalist who has never played a Mario game before and if they've played a Mario game, they'll have a pre-existing opinion of it one way or another. It wouldn't be any fairer having someone who hates the series review it. It's an unavoidable problem with such a large franchise.

If you get a reviewer who has no experience of a series review a game then it's kind of useless to anyone who has. I imagine if somebody who'd never played a CoD game before reviewed Advanced Warfare they'd likely say it's one of the greatest games of all time or somesuch, but to people who have played the last 6 CoDs, or even just one of the more recent ones, that review would be near pointless because they wouldn't be able to say any of the differences or new features that will tell anyone who's played one of the games before whether they are likely to like the new one or not.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Deleted user 10 August 2014 05:18:56
    @MatMan562 Psiloc answered it. Yeah, they're bound to have played it or something similar, but they should be indifferent to it.
  • Raiko101 10 Aug 2014 06:11:46 6,720 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I personally can't think of many 3D platformers that come close to 3D World, besides the Galaxy games (which are better). Most platformers tend to lean towards being an adventure game, lacking in platforming variation and compensating with a story that wouldn't be out of place in a Saturday morning cartoon. Mario has always side-stepped the narrative and focused purely on platforming.

• Psiloc 10 Aug 2014 10:59:05 1,664 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was being sarcastic to be honest. Indifference probably wouldn't be the best quality in a critic either.

I dunno. There have been lots of games that are well regarded that I think are absolute trash so it shouldn't really surprise me there are people out there who don't "get" Super Mario. When I play COD for instance I am sincerely mystified that so many people adore it so it makes sense it's the same the other way around.

Then again I don't wonder aloud why Activision don't completely rework a winning formula so I don't really get why the same gets said about Super Mario.
  • DFawkes 10 Aug 2014 11:01:55 24,097 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No no no, everyone has to have the same opinion about everything ever. That's how it has to be.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Page

of 1414 First / Last