Wii U Page 568

• Page

of 1347 First / Last

• kalel 25 Mar 2013 15:51:58 86,409 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The only person I see having a go is you.
  • Armoured_Bear 25 Mar 2013 16:04:01 10,293 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    ecosse's fury transcends the ASCII character set.
    It's the closest I can get to Asterix swearing :-)

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Gregorin 25 Mar 2013 16:04:38 3 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I think the wii u will take off soon. I think many of the games on haven't taken use of the gamepad. When they realise the potential of it they will start releasing more games people want and it will take off
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 16:05:40 58,851 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good post, some reasonable points there.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 16:07:53 43,236 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wasn't Pikmin supposed to be out already? When's it due?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 16:13:27 43,236 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gregorin wrote:
    I think the wii u will take off soon. I think many of the games on haven't taken use of the gamepad. When they realise the potential of it they will start releasing more games people want and it will take off
    I said exactly the same thing about the Wii. I made a big long list of uses for the Wiimote and unique games that could only be played through using it.

Of course I missed the point. Developers want to make a game that works across platforms. It is very difficult to include a console with an entirely different control input (not to mention a performance deficit) and so the most cost effective solution was to develop for the 360 and the PS3 with a simplified Wii version as an afterthought. Look at Dead Space, look at Call of Duty.

The move towards a more generic controller is a move in the right direction for Nintendo, but it is what it has in common with its competitors which is the key to success, not what it has that is different. All this will sadly be eclipsed in a year or so when the next gen takes off in earnest and the WiiU is stuck with the same technology gap as its predecessor.

The best console of the next generation will be the one that does the same as all the others, but best. Note that 'best' is not the same as 'best selling'. Or is anyone genuinely arguing that the Wii was the best console this gen?

• zoolophage 25 Mar 2013 16:16:24 1,602 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pikmin 3 is supposed to be a Q2 release. Exactly when that will be is anyone's guess

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• Cappy 25 Mar 2013 17:28:34 11,831 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Q2 is from the end of March to the end of June, if I'm remembering right.

Though that's no indication of when Pikmin 3 will actually be released, with such an ambiguous parameter for a release date it could end up being any time this year, even the next if Nintendo are staggering releases between regions as they sometimes do.
  • Armoured_Bear 25 Mar 2013 17:30:42 10,293 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    Pikmin 3 is supposed to be a Q2 release. Exactly when that will be is anyone's guess
    June 28th.

• LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 17:31:25 43,236 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So barely Q2 then. In fact the last working day, smacks of a placeholder date to keep their promise while giving themselves as much development time as possible.

14 weeks to go!!1

Edited by LeoliansBro at 17:32:47 25-03-2013

• LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 17:39:19 43,236 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ... or was that the point ecosse was making.

• Raiko101 25 Mar 2013 18:24:34 6,081 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is Punch Out!! on the Wii worth picking up? The original is brilliant.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Armoured_Bear 25 Mar 2013 18:33:58 10,293 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    It didn't appeal to me so I never tried it but it reviewed really well.
    Worth a punt if cheap I guess.

• ED209 25 Mar 2013 19:08:15 505 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it just me or is there a suprisingly un-nintendo sale on the wiiu store right now?

Samantha Janus?

• CharlieStCloud 25 Mar 2013 19:44:46 5,090 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It is a shame the Wii U doesn't have the Game of the Year.

: (

... hopefully Irrational Games will port it over at some point.
  • addyb 25 Mar 2013 19:49:58 1,034 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Yeah I'd say so if you like the original. Its dirt cheap these days and its fun. I'm tempted to pick it up again myself as it was a nice blast from the past playing the original last night.

Still I've got plenty to play at the moment. Lego city, BioShock infinite (PC) and Luigi's mansion this week added to the mass of PS+ games that keep piling up on my ps3 and vita. :)
  • griff_dai 25 Mar 2013 19:54:54 412 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If HMV are still selling when I have been paid next week, I will pick one up. If they are not, then I'll wait for the Deus Ex bundle....
  • Raiko101 25 Mar 2013 20:56:21 6,081 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @addyb Cheers! Yeah, i'm really enjoying it at the moment. I already had it on my 3DS actually and i've sunk hours into it. It's seriously difficult, but I like how each opponent fights so differently.

• addyb 25 Mar 2013 23:10:34 1,034 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    @addyb Cheers! Yeah, i'm really enjoying it at the moment. I already had it on my 3DS actually and i've sunk hours into it. It's seriously difficult, but I like how each opponent fights so differently.
    Well the Wii version is pretty much the same in that regard. Some very tough opponents but once you find that weakness it becomes easier. The fun is figuring out said weakness. :)
  • scuffpuppies 26 Mar 2013 09:43:51 263 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @AceGrace
    NFS was on the 3DO, not the Jaguar.
    You're right, my silly mistake.

Still an awesome game though. I was addicted to setting fast times that my house mate couldn't beat (he was generally better at racers than me).

XBL: Scuffy P
    PSN: Scuffy_P
    NN: ScuffyP

• scuffpuppies 26 Mar 2013 11:18:38 263 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My concern regards what'll happen eighteen months after both the PS4 & XBOX3 have launched. Developers aren't going to create cross-generation games on all multiplatform titles. It's just financially and creatively not a viable option.

It'll be okay at first. Similar to when the 360 launched, 95% of games were "last gen" tech with updated textures and a slightly higher resolution, but they were still basically PS2/XBOX games. I hated the initial launch of the 360. When 'Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter' released it felt like the Next Gen had finally arrived (not forgetting Quake 4 and Dead Rising too). So the Wii U will be okay while developers continue working on the PS3/360 versions of the new titles (the Wii U being an afterthought, not the motivation). But that won't last, especially when you take in to account how eager developers are to leave this generation behind.

So when Assassin's Creed 6 is being developed, Ubisoft aren't going to hold back the team's creativity so as to squeeze it on old technology or make them design two versions and release a downgraded AC6 for the Wii U. Nintendo NEED their exclusives.

I don't want Wind Waker HD (I still own my original copy), I want a new Zelda game. NSMBU wasn't "new", but a rehash of the 3DS version. Monster Hunter 3 isn't new but three years old, Wind Waker is eleven years old...what's going on?

When the Wii U looses multiplatform titles and publishers stop cross-generation development, and Nintendo haven't invested enough time, money and thought in developing exclusives, I fear the three months my Wii U hasn't been turned on recently will grow to three years.

I'm stunned that a company I once held in such high esteem, a company that created my first entry into the console world with the NES, a company that created my favourite console of all-time with the SNES, a company that created one of the most influential games in history on the N64, a company that could develop technical beasts with the Gamecube...I'm stunned that such a company is getting is so wrong.

I'm beginning to think that Nintendo honestly believe the Wii wasn't a fluke, wasn't a perfect storm...I'm beginning to think Nintendo haven't a f**king clue what to do next.

XBL: Scuffy P
    PSN: Scuffy_P
    NN: ScuffyP

• Progguitarist 26 Mar 2013 11:24:08 10,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone know if it's possible to buy a gamepad charger? Dog hated the WIi U so much he decided to chew through the cable last night.
  • kalel 26 Mar 2013 11:25:30 86,409 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's very simple in my view. Nintendo have to get out a significant number of very good 1st and 2nd party games, and quite quickly. That really is all there is to it.
  • DFawkes 26 Mar 2013 11:35:18 22,605 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's very simple in my view. Nintendo have to get out a significant number of very good 1st and 2nd party games, and quite quickly. That really is all there is to it.
    I agree with this - if I had a 360 that'd leave me with Nintendoland and ZombieU, which are both really good but not good enough to buy a new console. Even adding Lego City and Monster Hunter isn't really enough.

Comments on the front page Wii U articles would have you believe price isn't even that much of an issue, because they keep revising what they'd pay every time a retailer lowers it! "I'd only pay 250". It goes down "250? Nah, I could only play "200". Goes down. "150!". It always seems to be about Current Price minus 50 ;) Don't think that's really a viable method of market research though, given this is the Internet.

Anything else I say will just be repeating myself, so I'll just say I can't see a really good reason for a 360 or PS3 owner to have a Wii U as well yet, assuming off TV play is of no use to you.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:38:05 26-03-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• kalel 26 Mar 2013 11:38:23 86,409 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not rocket science. The console is not powerful enough or similar enough (weird controller) to compete on a like-for-like basis with other future consoles.

So it has to compete on its own terms. And that means having lots of good games that you can't get on other consoles.

It's ridiculously simple, and mind-numbingly obvious to everyone apart from apparently, Nintendo.
  • Raiko101 26 Mar 2013 11:43:33 6,081 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think the problem is how quickly they get their games out. It's easy to say they need to release games, quickly, but at what cost? For sure they're probably developing a dozen of them at once, but they're normally worth the wait. I'd rather wait if it meant we got a more original Mario Kart.

• Ultrasoundwave 26 Mar 2013 11:45:03 3,267 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I still find it quite bizarre and disappointing that Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite are not on the Wii U, but Sniper Elite and Deus Ex are on the way?????

:confused:

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Chopsen 26 Mar 2013 11:46:17 15,727 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, they've known they're going to be releasing the console for ages, so they should have developed a launch decent schedule along side it. It's not as if they found the console down the back of the sofa.

They did the same before though. Their hardware releases seem typified with a very barren and/or banal release schedule for the 1st year of life.

Edited by Chopsen at 11:46:38 26-03-2013
  • kalel 26 Mar 2013 11:49:41 86,409 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Even WiiU enhanced version of say, Mario Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword would have been sensible (if cynical).

I certainly was much more encouraged to get the original Wii because of Twilight Princess.
  • Kay 26 Mar 2013 11:49:59 17,762 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be fair, both Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite have had really long development periods - both were shown in 2010 iirc, before the Wii U was even announced.
  • Page

of 1347 First / Last