• Page

of 1358 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 29 Jan 2013 20:52:13 10,599 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I seriously think it's a valid question. The WiiU has got off to a very bad start, and it's completely reasonable to ask whether it's already doomed.

You can say the answer is no, but you can't claim it's biased or sensationalist journalism to ask the question in the first place.
    How can any console possibly be doomed after 2 months?
    Especially from the biggest console manufacturer in the world.
    If something is doomed, it's doomed. The very word implies its demise is inevitable, so time passed is irrelevant. A year, 2 months, before it's even come out...it doesn't matter. If it's doomed it's doomed.

Dreamcast, Jaguar, Saturn...all doomed more or less from the start, and all from big boys. I don't even need to mention the likes of the N-Gage or Gizmondo or CDi, all of which came from big companies (well, apart from Gizmondo).

As for whether Nintendo could do this, they have - Virtual Bot, 64DD...arguably even the Cube.

It's a valid question and article. This is one of those times when your personal bias is making you all defensive and fanboyish.
    Are you seriously trying to compare those machines and companies with Nintendo and the WiiU? Seriously?

It is possible for me to disagree with you without being "defensive and fanboyish" btw.
    My opinion isn't even specific to Nintendo, asking if it's too late 2 months after launch of a console from one of the big boys is ridiculous. The PS3 had a shitty start, so did the 3DS, the article actually shows that 360 after 6 weeks was only slightly ahead of where the Wii is now. It's hyperbolic nonsense and sadly typically of the way journalism has been going in recent times.

The WiiU will almost certainly get nowhere near the Wii in terms of sales, I've no idea how it will sell.
    What I do know is that writing it off after 2 months when you have Nintendo and their billions of cash reserves, enormously popular IPs incoming is fucking stupid.

P.S Playing with the semantics of use of the word doomed is pointless, the whole discussion is around the "is it too late" text from EG.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• ResidentKnievel 29 Jan 2013 20:54:38 6,182 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, it's too late, the Wii U is doomed

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• kalel 29 Jan 2013 20:55:50 87,093 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But you are being defensive and fanboyish, not because you don't think the WiiU is doomed, but because you won't even accept the validity of it as a topic of conversation! That's just ridiculous.
  • ResidentKnievel 29 Jan 2013 20:56:43 6,182 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago

• Deleted user 29 January 2013 21:52:17
    I've been messing around with my WiiU for a couple of hours and my current opinion is that it will be a shame if sales do not pick up steam as from what I've seen so far it's an impressive little machine.

ZombiU has really impressed me with it's implementation of the two screens and the Rayman demo was nothing short of joyous.

Miiverse is a nice take on facebook, couldn't resist drawing something. I can see me doodling on that a lot.

It's a shame there's such negativity about the WiiU prospects the day I get one. I've got the new console thrills.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 21:53:52
    Now, whether to buy Mario WiiU or hold off until Rayman. Hmm, could have done with a Mario demo really.
  • Psychotext 29 Jan 2013 22:01:18 53,982 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I still wish I "got" that Rayman demo. Really did nothing for me.

Still, Pikmin to come and that's all that counts. Is there any word how they're going to make use of the touchpad yet?
  • Raiko101 29 Jan 2013 22:01:59 6,219 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mario Wii U excells in multiplayer, so it's a must if you've got some one to play it with. It's alright if you're playing alone as it has buckets of charm, but make sure you don't pay over the odds for it.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Luckyjim 29 Jan 2013 22:02:14 2,873 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Something tells me the PS4/720 will also struggle out of the gate. I think people underestimate what a tough economy we're living in at the moment.

There's simple no point being an early adopter these days. Consumers will wait for games and an inevitable price drop. The only problem with this is all the doom-mongering articles it can generate, thus potentially scaring off third-party support.

I think the 3DS suffered a bit of this before its turnaround - a reason, I believe, we're only now starting to see decent 3rd party support for it.
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jan 2013 22:06:51 10,599 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    Now, whether to buy Mario WiiU or hold off until Rayman. Hmm, could have done with a Mario demo really.
    It's 30 quid at play.com

• Deleted user 29 January 2013 22:31:32
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Mario Wii U excells in multiplayer, so it's a must if you've got some one to play it with. It's alright if you're playing alone as it has buckets of charm, but make sure you don't pay over the odds for it.
    I think this is the case for lots of games on Wii U at the moment, tbh. Nintendoland, NSMBU and Sonic All-Stars are all significantly more fun when played with others. The only multiplayer disappointed so far has been Zombi U, it feels tacked on, but it's okay, the game is really focused on single played anyway.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 22:33:49
    Don't see how it is any different from talking about how doomed the vita is. Legitimate topic.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 22:35:50
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    It's 30 quid at play.com
    Very tempting.....
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 22:42:02
    MoGamer2006 wrote:
    @Aargh

Look, I'm not saying the Wii U has had an amazing launch. But it's all about software, ultimately. I haven't actually got a Wii U yet, but I know I will one day - when the big hitters come. And I'm sure many will do the same.

And as for the new machines... They're not going to be cheap at launch, plus software will be expensive to make and take longer to develop. I can be you now a game won't cost less than current Xbox/PS3 ones either.

I think anyone expecting major new releases on a week-by-week basis from launch is going to be sorely disappointed. Publishers will dip their toes but, as with all launches, it'll take time for a steady stream to form.

There's also the issue whether anyone but the hardcore will be able to see the value in the upgrade - I think many will find it hard to see the graphical uplift - but that's a whole other issue...

In short, I don't think that the success of the next Xbox/Playstation is a given. I certainly think they'll do okay, but will that be enough to give publishers the return they need to make more games?

It's a scary time for everyone.
    Of course a new machine will be more expensive than an old machine, that's irrelevant.

New games will do the usual thing of being 5-10 more at the start then return to usual. Worst case is you wait a month and you'll be paying 30, 6 months and it'll be 10 just as it is now.

The cost to developers won't be that much more, tech moves on, tools and techniques get better. If it does go up then they might go back to ideas rather than art and 3 hours of shit cutscenes that everyone hammers the x button to skip anyway.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 22:50:07
    actually think some next gen games will be 'cheaper' in that they will be episodic and released over a course of 6 months. Keep players tied into a game especially if its a cross of MP and single player.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 22:51:27
    It's only been out 2 months and we've just got past christmas, it's a valid topic if the situation is the same this time next year. :)

Edited by CrispyXUK at 22:53:16 29-01-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jan 2013 22:58:49 10,599 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    It's only been out 2 months and we've just got past christmas, it's a valid topic if the situation is the same this time next year. :)
    Indeed.

• Deleted user 29 January 2013 23:02:34
    It a valid topic after such bad sales with nothing on the horizon.

I know it must hurt people like ecosse who have devoted so much of their lives to support a company but sometimes failure is clear to see very early on and it's better to accept it.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 23:04:38
    Sales seem about the same as previous consoles to me, am I missing something?
  • Psychotext 29 Jan 2013 23:07:25 53,982 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stock. That aside, in the UK at least the only console the Wii U is close to in launch terms is the 360 (which was rarer than rocking horse shit for the first few months).

In Japan the Wii U is now showing Vita and Dreamcast level sales.

Problem they have is that picture isn't going to look any better until the second half of this year at the very earliest.

Edited by Psychotext at 23:11:48 29-01-2013
  • Mola_Ram 29 Jan 2013 23:08:43 7,250 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hey, how about we try and go a page without someone calling someone else a fanboy or whatever. Seems like a too-convenient way to just dismiss someone out of hand, and really doesn't contribute to the discussion in any way.
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jan 2013 23:09:15 10,599 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    It's slightly below the 360 in the same time period so it's doomed, it's too late for Nintendo to do anything about it.
    Nintendo will be 3rd party soon.

I think that covers it.

• richardiox 29 Jan 2013 23:13:47 5,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Surely the "doomed" element isn't just about its piss-poor sales so far or the lack of a "killer app" like Wii Sports. Or the piss poor marketing including the name itself. It isn't even just about their piss poor online implementation (games tied to console not accounts)

...It's about the massive lack of third party support and lack of grunt compared to its incoming rivals. Yes, The PS3 also had a poor start sales wise but it always had huge third party. This is why the WiiU is doomed. And the fact the Wii casuals crowd all now game on iOS.

Edited by richardiox at 23:15:42 29-01-2013
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 23:20:48
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    It's slightly below the 360 in the same time period so it's doomed, it's too late for Nintendo to do anything about it.
    Nintendo will be 3rd party soon.

I think that covers it.
    No. 360 had huge 3rd party support to make it a success, WiiU doesn't. 360 had a constant stream of releases. WiiU doesn't. 360 didn't have a great established brand to build on, WiiU did.

Sales are worse than a console that had the stigma of bring made by Microsoft, that had few decent releases at the start and the WiiU has 2-3 major competitors on the way to make it irrelevant in terms of specs. 2 months in and it already has nothing at all to offer other than 1st party Nintendo games at some point in the future (TBD), none of which are going to excite people that have been playing then for the last 20 years.

Edited by Aargh. at 23:21:35 29-01-2013
  • richardiox 29 Jan 2013 23:59:30 5,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Its another 'Nintendo Box' basically, and a machine that needs to owned alongside another console to get the proper breadth of the gaming spectrum.

it may have Kart, Zelda, Smash Bros, Animal X, Mario, Fit etc but yet again it won't have GTA, Elder Scrolls, Fallout 4, Battlefield etc. Nor will it have 'next gen' franchises. Compare the WiiU specs to PS4 to see why is going to be incredibly challenging to get these next gen engines running on it.

So yeah -basically, like the 3DS, GameCube, Wii and N64 its a Nintendo Box. like most people with a knowledge of history predicted it would be. The problem increasingly with a Nintendo Box is we've all played those franchises to death now. Another 2D Mario? Mario Kart? Smash Bros? Animal Crossing? Zelda?

Great games the first, second and third times round but there's a limit. And without the aforementioned third party support there's comparatively little to fall back on. Not to mention disgustingly huge gaps in the release schedule, a problem specific to Nintendo platforms above all others since 1997.

15 years they've had to learn. And 15 years of telling me 'THIS is the generation we learn from our mistakes and will have massive software support'. And 15 years of me believing them. And 15 years of them failing to deliver.

Even despite its huge user base, the Wii only had decent software sales on first party games - bar the likes of Just Dance. People buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games - its been true since 97. So it's no wonder that other than some token ports around system launches, 3rd parties tend to steer clear.

Anyone who can't see the scale of the massive problems facing the WiiU is a fanboy. Yes 720/PS4 sales may start slow but we know their games libraries will be strong with actual 'AAA' third party support between platform exclusives.

tl:Dr - 15 years of fail and still people have faith.

Edited by richardiox at 00:01:16 30-01-2013

Edited by richardiox at 00:03:11 30-01-2013
  • ResidentKnievel 30 Jan 2013 00:05:39 6,182 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When you compare the Wii U sales to the 360 sales you have to factor in the 360 being sold out everywhere and the Wii U being flogged by Zavvi for 25% off regular price in order to get rid of them.

• richardiox 30 Jan 2013 00:28:41 5,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    360, PS3 and Wii launch periods = flying off shelves, ferocious eBay bidding

WiiU launch period = retailers slashing prices within weeks, unsold stuck, eBay auctions going unsold.

But its not doomed! Because Pikmin and a remastered 2002 game are out this year. And at some time in the next 36 months you can play a new Mario and Zelda.

At least their two rivals in the market aren't about to release machines with literally twice the CPU power and double or quadruple the RAM.
  • Youthist 30 Jan 2013 00:34:24 10,011 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, no they aren't about to, no.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• richardiox 30 Jan 2013 00:44:02 5,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aren't they? 2gb ram vs 4/8gb. 3 core CPU @ 1.3ghz vs 8 core CPU @ 1.6ghz?
  • Raiko101 30 Jan 2013 00:47:25 6,219 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If Nintendo can save the 3DS there's no reason they can't turn arpund the Wii U's fortunes.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Page

of 1358 First / Last