A Thread of Ice and Fire Page 9

• Page

of 62 First / Last

• nickthegun 22 Feb 2013 14:44:32 59,941 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But dont power hair genetics rule all? There have been little mention of the starks being generation after generation of ginger, for example.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• LeoliansBro 22 Feb 2013 14:45:18 44,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Targaryn hair and eyes have to be recessive traits, otherwise why the inbreeding?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 22 Feb 2013 14:45:48 44,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tullys are ginger. Starks are Welsh.

• nickthegun 22 Feb 2013 14:45:54 59,941 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Because they are a 'love the one youre with' kind of family.

• LeoliansBro 22 Feb 2013 14:47:23 44,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're really coming into their own.

• nickthegun 22 Feb 2013 14:48:49 59,941 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dunno, I assumed that since it made such a song and dance about hair colour, Jon would look like Jimmy Saville if that were the case.

Also: magic.

• LeoliansBro 22 Feb 2013 14:52:52 44,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, Jon either has a Targaryn father (Rhaegyr) and a Stark mother (Lyanna) or a Stark father (Ned) and a Targaryn mother (the girl with the purple eyes). Either way, the fair hair and purple eyes got kicked into touch by Stark genes.

Another thing: how is any Targaryn a 'wench' or whatever Ned calls her? They're royalty. I'm liking this theory a lot, in part because it's the only way to solve the billion contenders for the throne problems, plus get House Stark to win.

• Humperfunk 22 Feb 2013 14:58:23 2,249 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Another thing: how is any Targaryn a 'wench' or whatever Ned calls her? They're royalty. I'm liking this theory a lot, in part because it's the only way to solve the billion contenders for the throne problems, plus get House Stark to win.
    I always thought it was Robert who called her a wench, which offended ol' Ned, and that was only because Robert thought he nailed some bird on the road...

I loved your summary by the way on the other page. Big fan.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• President_Weasel 22 Feb 2013 15:41:39 9,336 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    They're really coming into their own.
    Wahey!
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Feb 2013 23:55:20 8,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am pretty certain Daerneys is Azor Ahai or what his name. Their birth was pretty much exactly what Mellisandre's prophecy described. Obviously Mellisandre has not pieced it together yet. So it is indeed possible that she is trying to manufacture the prophecy.

I am also convinced that Jon's parents are Lyanna and Rhaeger. The member of the royal guard was in love with the woman Ned apparently had an affair with. He said she died childless.

Also there was a theory about the giant that I quite liked a few pages back. And it looked like a Caeser story to me.

I also think Bran is been groomed to do something hugely evil. But that is baseless conjecture on my part.
  • LeoliansBro 1 Mar 2013 21:26:50 44,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You know, aside from the fact that the music is spot on and very good in its own right, it struck me how they really hit the nail on the head with the opening credits to the series.

The feel of it, wheels within wheels and machinations and the fact that to those who play it, it is just a game, is exactly right. But there's so much more going on in there than you realise at first. There's a lion bending its knee to a stag triumphant in there. We all know what that means, but it's never so obviously said as here that this is a skewed arrangement, and that this cannot last.

• LeoliansBro 1 Mar 2013 21:31:12 44,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also lol.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 21:31:34 01-03-2013

• disusedgenius 1 Mar 2013 21:39:09 5,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not only that, it serves a narrative purpose in that it means you know exactly where you are in the world, the scale of the place and the situation all the characters find themselves in.

It's basically the sort of thing which the phrase 'fucking inspired' is meant for.
  • mcmonkeyplc 3 Apr 2013 13:55:23 39,457 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The news today about Iain Banks really brings home how precarious the subject of finishing this series is.

He really needs to get a move on :(

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Metalfish 3 Apr 2013 14:03:59 8,819 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    George got cancer of the 'editing gland' and had to have the whole thing removed.
  • Salaman 3 Apr 2013 14:35:47 19,068 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    The news today about Iain Banks really brings home how precarious the subject of finishing this series is.

He really needs to get a move on :(
    Didn't Martin brief a writer of the TV series on where his story archs are going just in case he snuffs it? Or something like that. Vaguely recall something like that.
  • mcmonkeyplc 3 Apr 2013 15:48:30 39,457 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well I always thought that would be the only option if he fluffed it, HBO would have to finish it.

I don't know if he's briefed anyone though.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Tricky 3 Apr 2013 16:02:50 4,403 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, he's told the two showrunners at HBO how it's all supposed to end, just in case.
  • Salaman 3 Apr 2013 16:24:10 19,068 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Someone needs te infiltrate the office Xmas party over at HBO and feed them two a few tequilas each.
  • Baihu1983 3 Apr 2013 16:33:59 3,443 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    When is the cunt releasing Winds of winter?
    I did read next year but who knows. Doubt it will have the same issues as Feast and Dragons.

As for Jon

Don't think hes dead myself. George tends to make it 100% clear that a characters dead and he pulled the 'fake death' chapter ending with Tyrion earlier on in the book.

Pretty sure Melisandre knows Stannis is not rally dead. Doesn't someone say in one of the Asha chapters that Stannis spends all hes time looking in the flames talking to her? And Jon mentions he can always see the flames burning in her room window.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Apr 2013 16:45:05 44,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Someone needs te infiltrate the office Xmas party over at HBO and feed them two a few tequilas each.
    This is the mission I was born for!

• thedaveeyres 3 Apr 2013 16:59:17 11,079 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm way behind you lot, I've just got to Edmure's wedding... and felt I had to share. H O L Y S H I T F U C K ! O_O

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• LeoliansBro 3 Apr 2013 17:00:40 44,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Indeed.

• Baihu1983 3 Apr 2013 17:09:09 3,443 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Such a great moment and they really want to have done it justice on the show.

But next season is one I'm probably looking forward to more.

Way past time the Lannister's lost a few people on the show.
  • Bremenacht 12 Apr 2013 15:08:39 18,275 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm getting gently prodded into reading this. It's nothing like Raymond E Fiest or early Stephen Donaldson is it? The problem is, I if I get into it I'll just have to keep reading, even if it's a bit crap.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Apr 2013 15:33:20 17,075 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    I'm getting gently prodded into reading this. It's nothing like Raymond E Fiest or early Stephen Donaldson is it? The problem is, I if I get into it I'll just have to keep reading, even if it's a bit crap.
    At least read up to the end of book three. I find that it tends to bumble along a little incoherently after that book. It's a weird series of books, they're incredibly compelling but afterwards I find I can't really remember much and I'm not entirely sure I have enjoyed most of it. As I say though, three is the pinnacle and it's worth reading the two before to get there as you'll be lost without them.

I must get around to getting series 2 and 3 of the TV series as I hope it'll remind me what I've forgotten.

You are a factory of sadness.

• disusedgenius 12 Apr 2013 15:36:56 5,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The best part about the first 3 books is that, by that last one, you genuinely can't predict what's about to happen next. It's an experience few and far between in fantasy/sci-fi books, but something which might be diminished by having watched the TV series.

After that it starts to drag under it's own weight, but you're addicted and there's nothing for it by that point but to carry on.
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Apr 2013 05:34:17 8,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have just read the first 2 Raymond E Feist: Riftwar books and feel comfortable saying that the first 3 Game of Thrones books are far, far better.

I even enjoyed the shitty 4th GoT book more than Silverthorn although I did really enjoy the first Feist book: Magician.

The best thing about the GoT books is their unpredictability. The predictableness of the Riftwar books at present is really annoying me. As much as I like Arutha I kind of hope he dies at the start of the third book.
  • Metalfish 13 Apr 2013 09:29:55 8,819 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GoT are great, but having read them all, I could easily identify entire books worth of material that could be chopped out. George is one of the best "make it up as you go along with the plan" authors there is, but he's quite obviously got to the point where he's giving himself far more strands than he'll ever need (or be able to tidy up).
  • ubergine 13 Apr 2013 13:08:28 2,398 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I never read the first book, beyond an amount at the beginning and at the end and skipping around a bit, basically to establish that the TV show pretty much lifts story, dialogue etc directly from the book. I must have seen the first season of GoT 6 times before I read it so it seemed a bit pointless. I read the rest of the books though. 2 and 3 were gripping but had a "where's he going with this?" feeling as the characters increasingly lack goals - or don't bother to directly attack their own goals. the fourth book was a fucking chore and the fifth book was only better because it was a chore about the more interesting characters.

In book 4, the whole arc about Brienne looking for Sansa Stark was just ridiculous. We the reader knew where she was and that Brienne wouldn't find her, so the whole arc adds nothing to further the plot, it's just a massive pointless diversion.

It just seem Martin likes to go on and on to his now captive audience about this world he's created, and not so much about the plot or characters. The world is the character and the plot to him it seems. The characters and plot are increasingly wonky and directionless as the wheels fall off his brain.

That said, his shittest work is a thousand times better than the last four books of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I gave up on that one partway through the fifth book, bored out of my mind by King's blah-blah-someday-something-will-happen.

Success is the worst thing that happens to writers. It means their editors get less and less say.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Page

of 62 First / Last