Sleeping Dogs Page 37

• Page

of 39 First / Last

• Madder-Max 28 Dec 2012 23:03:02 11,618 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not used to batman games and saints row 2 did it far better with the fight clubs. I find it quite tricky and annoying.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Madder-Max 28 Dec 2012 23:04:05 11,618 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This game reminds me of true crime on the ps2

• monkehhh 28 Dec 2012 23:18:48 3,267 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Madder-Max Well, it was called True Crime Hong Kong at one point!
  • Mr-Brett 29 Dec 2012 14:02:39 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They feel cheap? is it an official controller? they're pretty well made, I wouldn't worry about that. I would recommend trying a set of 'real triggers' if you haven't already.

Individual button mapping should be in every game but sadly only a couple of console games actually have it (pretty much just Bethesda ones)

Also everything Madder has said is a big bag of wrong :)

Portable view - Never forget.

• Mr-Brett 29 Dec 2012 14:58:12 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Easy now, I wasn't defending anything. I don't like the PS3 triggers either, I was just saying that they don't break that easy so you probably don't need to worry about it. If you like the 360 triggers then give real triggers a shot, if not then you're screwed really, maybe there's a third party controller that would suit you better.

You might want to take a second and trying to decide if someone is deserving of your agro before replying in future. You'll certainly be a lot better off around here if you do.

Portable view - Never forget.

• octo 23 Jan 2013 16:40:14 979 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished this yesterday having set up the xbox after moving house. I thought it was excellent. I see some people bemoaning the story but I found that to be one of the strongest features of the game. The missions could have used a little more variation but the story missions were excellent and left you genuinely feeling torn between the two factions.

All of the gameplay elements were excellent. I liked the free-running use of the A button, the combat was absolutely excellent (although a little simple after learning all the patterns). Gun play wasn't quite as polished but it worked when you needed it.

I hope it sold enough units for a sequel.
  • muttler 26 Jan 2013 20:30:49 3,937 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just got this today, loving it so far, its fuckin ace.
  • Lexx87 26 Jan 2013 20:36:41 20,869 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's proper good and the story is half decent too.

If you have it on PC, get the hi-res pack, looks stunning.

Speak the truth hussy!

• mrpon 26 Jan 2013 21:08:49 28,421 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    15 on Steam, I totally want it but happy to wait till sub 10.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• andytheadequate 26 Jan 2013 21:14:31 8,075 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Its been cheaper than 10 a few times so might as well wait. It really is a good game though, especially seeing as though I didn't expect to like it
  • Lexx87 26 Jan 2013 21:17:22 20,869 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I keep saying it but finishing the story is worth the final scene :D

Speak the truth hussy!

• Syrette 26 Jan 2013 21:18:15 43,061 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shame about the DLC.

• mrpon 29 Jan 2013 10:48:50 28,421 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aaaaand now it's 7.49 on Steam and free on PS+ next month.

Woo!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mrharvest 30 Jan 2013 18:16:56 5,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just started but I can't say I love it. The controls feel sluggish and the animations are somehow weird. Also I tried the first race a few times but either I've suddenly become utterly useless or the AI is a big bag of cheat.
  • Zizoo 30 Jan 2013 18:22:00 8,099 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd say stick with it, but I loved it from the start.
  • thefilthandthefury 31 Jan 2013 07:42:40 24,950 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Same here - from the opening scene I was pretty much sold on the whole thing. Uhh... stick with it anyway!
  • Blerk Moderator 31 Jan 2013 09:33:25 48,225 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wasn't sure at the beginning, but after the first few hours I was loving it. Just completed the game in the last few days and it's one of my favourite open-worlders ever, I didn't want it to end! :)

So yes, give it some time. It took a while for the fighting to click with me, the most important thing is to fight slowly and carefully, not just mash buttons. Try to unlock a few of the statues at the Dojo to give you some cool moves. And don't worry about the races - they become MUCH easier once you've unlocked some faster cars.
  • andytheadequate 31 Jan 2013 09:43:11 8,075 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Indeed, I was unsure at first but once the controls click it can be a joy to play. If you still don't enjoy it after 5-6 hours then give up, as you probably never will.
  • mrharvest 2 Feb 2013 05:20:29 5,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Okay, thanks guys. I'll keep at it. I did finish the races that were available - maybe it's some dlc stuff. The first race I tried was a long motorbike race around the whole island. The AI were overtaking me on straights even though we had the same bike? The other issue I had was that they kept ramming into me and for some reason if I fall off the bike I lose instantly but the AI drivers never fall of their bikes. That's a bit... Unfair. Also my bike's front wheel kept snagging on something on perfectly flat ground if I went at high speeds.

So I left that race for a bit and went to try the others. There was a boat race that was pretty easy and a car race with some really nice cars that I finished on my first try. I think maybe the nearest race to you shouldn't be the hardest but hey. I haven't unlocked any new vehicles or at least I couldn't select anything.

The fight clubs I haven't found too bad. It's nothing but counter + 3 normal hits and you can't lose.
  • hilts 2 Feb 2013 10:51:48 125 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have been playing this over e last couple of weeks and am loving it too!
    Have a bit of a love / hate thing with open world games , usually find they get monotonous quite quickly.
    Sure it has its issues , but gta and similar games all do.
    Finding it far mor enjoyable than GTA IV and the saints rows -
    Great story , nice dialogue and just the right pace and size in my opinion!
  • Madder-Max 2 Feb 2013 11:29:02 11,618 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Meh. I gave it about 10 hours or so and can't get on with it. Vehicle handling is abysmal, the fighting is overcomplicated and the story is quite meh too. Back into storage it goes until some point in the future where I might dip in and give it a go again.

• mrharvest 3 Feb 2013 05:29:03 5,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've put a bit more time in and the game does get better. However my second niggle: what I know of Hong Kong triads is that guns aren't all that common and the game even goes out of it way to point this out in one story mission. Why then every single story mission after that ends up being a bullet fest? I've been chased by 2 dozen guys on motorbikes with SMGs on the bloody main road and the police doesn't even bat an eyelid.
  • Triggerhappytel 2 Mar 2013 03:18:29 2,667 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, I'm playing this at the moment and really enjoying it, but was wondering whether I can play on after the story missions are finished? I've been getting collectibles and doing side missions as I've progressed, but I'm thinking of just going ahead and finishing the main plot, then I'll come back for leftover lock boxes, cameras, etc.

Great game though, I'm really enjoying it.
  • theguy 2 Mar 2013 03:33:57 652 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    So, I'm playing this at the moment and really enjoying it, but was wondering whether I can play on after the story missions are finished? I've been getting collectibles and doing side missions as I've progressed, but I'm thinking of just going ahead and finishing the main plot, then I'll come back for leftover lock boxes, cameras, etc.

Great game though, I'm really enjoying it.
    You can continue free roaming after finishing the story missions
  • ElNino9 2 Mar 2013 04:16:45 13,285 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The driving ruins it for me - it just handles like a cheap iOS game, almost like it was an afterthought. The story is decent enough, and I've had fun with the combat. In fact, it feels like a bargain bin game.

Not sure why it revived some gushing praise, mind.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• alexm 2 Mar 2013 06:47:48 246 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ElNino9 Because Sleeping Dogs and Dishonoured are the games to be seen with by Eurogamer hipsters ;)
  • ZuluHero 2 Mar 2013 08:38:08 4,018 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished this on PC, one of the best games I've played in a long time! Loved it from start to finish and the graphics are really great. Loved the dynamic real time lighting and weather effects. Also loved how alive the city feels. The combat and on foot stuff is as great as the driving. The story was well written and voice acting was too.

Personally i think this beats GTA hands down.
  • Syrette 12 Mar 2013 23:03:49 43,061 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any of you lot bought the new DLC ('Year of the Snake')?

I see the rest of the DLC plus the game itself (and a load of other Square Enix titles) are on sale on XBL at the moment so I'm thinking I might get Nightmare in North Point and this.

560 sounds a fair price but if it'll only last me an hour or so I'm not sure I'll bother.

• Page

of 39 First / Last