Learning to Drive Page 18

• Page

of 18 First / Last

Next
  • wogsy81 4 Jan 2013 08:56:41 748 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I passed my test about 14 months ago at the grand old age of 30.

I took a crash course in Blackpool. It was 7 days long with shared tuition. Basically, me and another learner would have 2, two hour sessions each day. When one wasn't driving he was in the back watching.

It was the worst 7 fucking days of my life. Staying in a shithole B&B combined with driving around Blackpool for 8 hours. Man it was the worst week of my life.
    Reading munkis posts i can definitely relate. Learning to drive aint no fun at all.

I passed though and man am i glad i did and its out the fucking way.
    The feeling of relief when i passed will stay with me for a long time. I was pretty garbage during the week and i had 100% consigned myself to fail the test no doubt. But i wanted to do the test anyways as i knew it would be valuable experience for the next time i took it.

But come test day i somehow pulled it out of the bag and passed. With consigning myself to failure i think it took the pressure off me a bit as i wasn't nervous at all. In fact i had a damn good chinwag with my assessor as i done my test and it genuinely felt like a 10 minute drive. It flew by.

So yeahh, learning to drive is a nightmare but once you pass. That's it. You dont have to go through it ever again. Keep that in mind brother.

Stay with it mate is my advice. The test is only gonna get harder and harder as the years go by so the earlier you get back on the horse the better i think.
  • localnotail 4 Jan 2013 09:28:24 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bbvDJC wrote:
    Thanks guys, think I'm going to go for one hour a week for the first month and see how it goes and go up to two if I'm doing okay after that.

I'm usually a quick learner but I'm pretty apprehensive at the moment!
    The trouble with 1 hour lessons is that it can often take 45 mins to get started / coordinated, so you don't get the chance to make good progress. It's a false economy - 2 hours would be more useful.

If you can play a twin-stick shooter, you should be able to get the hang of driving ;) Good luck.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deckard1 4 Jan 2013 09:33:47 28,755 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah 2 hour lessons is the ideal length really. Anything more and you're going to start losing concentration. I learnt when I was 17 and have loved it ever since. Anyone who doesn't like driving is doing it wrong. Just drive really fast. It's fucking heaps of fun.
  • Mr-Brett 4 Jan 2013 09:48:23 12,828 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Just drive really fast. It's fucking heaps of fun.
    Even in traffic jams?

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• ModishNouns 4 Jan 2013 09:50:57 4,656 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Even in traffic jams?
    Especially in traffic jams. Straight down the hard shoulder like a BOSS.

Edited by ModishNouns at 09:51:11 04-01-2013
  • Deckard1 4 Jan 2013 09:52:51 28,755 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Even in traffic jams?
    I live in the north. Except for the odd penny farthing, and the occasional man wrestling with a pig, the roads are clear as for as the eye can see.
  • Deckard1 4 Jan 2013 10:00:24 28,755 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    guts wrote:
    I've been driving for years and quite enjoy it. I'm not a terrible driver but I do a lot of the stuff my instructor used to tell me off for like driving with my hand on the gear stick, steering with one hand and several other things. I recently got clocked speeding but was not massively over the limit and had the option of a speed awareness course. It was more expensive than the fine but I decided to go for it. You know what, it was really quite a good course. It lasted about four hours and there was quite a few other people there. I got to keep the pen we were issued for filling in a booklet/test type thing and also got a copy of the most recent highway code. I am going to read through it but I am dreading it as I didn't realise how much stuff I had forgotten or never really knew in the first place.
    :redface:
    Can't believe I missed this... you got to keep the PEN!! Oh my God!!
  • Mr-Brett 4 Jan 2013 10:12:22 12,828 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Even in traffic jams?
    I live in the north. Except for the odd penny farthing, and the occasional man wrestling with a pig, the roads are clear as for as the eye can see.
    Oh, I thought there was a big problem with horse and cart congestion up there.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• MMMarmite 4 Jan 2013 10:54:02 1,065 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wogsy81 wrote:So yeahh, learning to drive is a nightmare but once you pass. That's it. You dont have to go through it ever again. Keep that in mind brother.
    Unless you get old, banned or forced to surrender on health grounds... ;)
  • Murbal 4 Jan 2013 11:04:46 22,380 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been driving for over 21 years /o\
  • ModishNouns 4 Jan 2013 11:13:18 4,656 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Without a break? Where there fuck are you going?
  • sport 4 Jan 2013 11:16:37 12,775 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
  • Page

of 18 First / Last

Next