Buying first car Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Load_2.0 8 Dec 2010 11:22:15 19,445 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hello,

It's been a long time since I owned a car but lately I have been thinking it may be useful as my friends and family are now spread outside of central london.

My going out is less about getting hammered at pubs and clubs and more about eating dinner, going to events and generally more civilised behaviour for which getting to and from would be far easier in a car.

I pondered spending 8-10K and buying something great but given the useage, (maybe 3-4 trips per month) that is hard to justify.

Would I be mad to buy a cheap MG? A 2004-2006 plate is pretty cheap on Autotrader. I realise parts and servicing might be a bit steep, but I wouldn't expect there to be too much given the miles I would do and the relative age of the car.

Any MG owners out there care to comment?
  • heyyo 8 Dec 2010 11:24:09 14,372 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Where's M_E? fuck sake.
  • nickthegun 8 Dec 2010 11:38:25 60,506 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    Would I be mad to buy a cheap MG?

Completely.

If you want cheap, bootable fun the real men are all driving renaultsport clios this year.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• figgis 8 Dec 2010 11:43:47 7,376 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MG's are unreliable. Can't you get an MX-5 or similar?

My first choice for that price range would be a 1 year old Ford Focus. Dull but good car for money.
  • sport 8 Dec 2010 11:58:11 12,775 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A Lancia will never let you down Load.
  • Deleted user 8 December 2010 12:00:26
    servicing might be a bit steep, but I wouldn't expect there to be too much given the miles I would do and the relative age of the car.
    I wouldn't assume anything about running costs - even a new tyre or two will be pretty harsh and if it's not had a new cam belt it will need one soon, which will run you a few hundred quid and that's just the normal stuff - not anything actually going wrong.

Also, I take it you don't drive at the moment? Have you considered how much it would cost to insure...?
  • The_Foo_Fighter 8 Dec 2010 14:27:44 724 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm looking at getting a new car at the beginning of the new year, so will be selling my MX-5. I know it's going to genuinely break my heart to sell it, but need a bigger car :(

It's got about 70k on the clock, immaculate condition and will be sold with a small jar of man-tears (mine).
  • JuanKerr 8 Dec 2010 15:25:37 36,331 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sticky man-tears?
  • The_Foo_Fighter 8 Dec 2010 15:31:03 724 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, those are on the seats, like slug-trails of loneliness.
  • Nexus_6 8 Dec 2010 15:38:33 3,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For a small car that you only need to get from a to b, I can't recommend the Fiat Panda highly enough. Great little car, speedy off the line, good layout with high up gear stick, been really good in this shit weather as well. Had it up to Orkney, down to London, all round Scotland and no problems.

Whatever you get, if you are buying new, which i recommend, see if the dealership does pre-registered cars. New car, bit cheaper.
  • Concrete 8 Dec 2010 16:06:02 594 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't buy new unless your employer is paying for it. Cars that are 2-3 years old have taken the massive depreciation hit so you don't have to. Modern vehicles can and do run to 200k so don't be put off by a car with 30k on the clock when it means you can buy it for half the price.
  • nickthegun 8 Dec 2010 16:09:49 60,506 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats such a stupid cliche.

• Nexus_6 8 Dec 2010 16:16:56 3,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's the cliche?
  • heyyo 8 Dec 2010 16:22:42 14,372 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Concrete wrote:
    Modern vehicles can and do run to 200k so don't be put off by a car with 30k on the clock when it means you can buy it for half the price.

Modern vehicles require about *200k of spare parts to get them to 200k miles. 30k clocked is fine yeah, but don't be shocked to be buying wheels, tyres, exhausts, catalytic converter, clutch and brakes. On top of repairing bodywork, paintwork, glass, lights when you get the 2nd hand car.

*not literally ;)
  • nickthegun 8 Dec 2010 16:38:04 60,506 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nexus 6 wrote:
    What's the cliche?

Buy a 3 year old car because its already done its depreciating, never buy new, let someone else take the hit.

For some people buying new is the best option. You can get quite a tidy car for 200 p/m with servicing and sometimes tax and insurance thrown in. At the end of two or three years either hand the leasing company the keys back or use the equity to trade it in for another brand new car on 200 p/m.

If you consider that even after its finished depreciating, it will still depreciate, the cost of ownership on a new car is often less than buying a 3 year old car.

And I know the old chestnut is 'but you never own it' but, really, who gives a fuck?

• Deleted user 8 December 2010 16:40:15
    And there's something sexy about getting your brand new car delivered. I would definitely buy new again in the future, having gone sensible second-hand Focus for my most recent purchase.
  • DaM 8 Dec 2010 16:41:55 13,338 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My car is nearly 3 years old, and I'm tempted to get a new or nearly new one soon. We'll get more for it selling it now.
  • Nexus_6 8 Dec 2010 16:42:52 3,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Nexus 6 wrote:
    What's the cliche?

Buy a 3 year old car because its already done its depreciating, never buy new, let someone else take the hit.

For some people buying new is the best option. You can get quite a tidy car for 200 p/m with servicing and sometimes tax and insurance thrown in. At the end of two or three years either hand the leasing company the keys back or use the equity to trade it in for another brand new car on 200 p/m.

If you consider that even after its finished depreciating, it will still depreciate, the cost of ownership on a new car is often less than buying a 3 year old car.

And I know the old chestnut is 'but you never own it' but, really, who gives a fuck?

I agree, was just confused as there were 2 opposite pieces of advice right above one another!

New cars are less hassle for the most part. My brother is an AA patrol-man so I can rely on a decent service if I had a second hand or whatever, but the gf got the panda new and it is top notch. As you say, just because it has depreciated already doesnt suddenly make it a great bargain.

And people cuold have done a poo in the glove box without you knowing.
  • Concrete 8 Dec 2010 17:40:56 594 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Nexus 6 wrote:
    What's the cliche?

This, my friends, is why the UK has such a problem with debt. Some, sensible? people actually like to live their lives free from it, but hey, why not pay 200 quid a month to drive a shopping trolley around.
  • nickthegun 8 Dec 2010 17:48:49 60,506 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As opposed to what? Taking out a loan to pay for a 7k car that you will still make a loss on? Or ploughing most of your savings in a car to own outright and be saddled with a loss making asset and a huge chunk taken out of your ready capital?

And its not really debt. Its a living expense in the same way that taking out a mortgage isnt an example of broken britain.

• Concrete 8 Dec 2010 17:58:55 594 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Its a living expense that is unfortunately tied to a depreciating asset. If you lose your job or for what ever reason have to give the car back before the term is up you are going to get pounded.

I would personally argue that you don't buy a 7k car if you can't afford it, but in perfectly functional Britain people don't like being told they can't have things now now now.

Cars depreciate, its unfortunate, but then everything does. There's no point throwing yourself on the sharp end of 50% depreciation over three years, when you could put up with 20% for a near as dammit identical product.
  • nickthegun 8 Dec 2010 18:44:25 60,506 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, taking out, effectively, a 2 year loan if you are on the verge of losing your job isn't very clever.

However, not everyone is in that position and just spouting the same NEWCARSLOL cliche that comes up in every car thread is often poor advice.

• Vice.Destroyer 31 Dec 2010 16:35:09 5,850 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, thanks for all the advice, the girlfriend seems to have ignored it all and didn't go for a brand new car. She got a 2002 Fiat Pinto 1.2. Low mileage, one year MOT and 1495 cash.

/says prayers
  • angeltreats 31 Dec 2010 16:37:54 2,602 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh god. Rutty has a 2001 Punto that's an absolute pig and I dream up different ways of killing it once and for all. I really hope your missus has a lot less trouble with hers...
  • Vice.Destroyer 31 Dec 2010 16:43:42 5,850 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /says more prayers
  • Densil 31 Dec 2010 19:21:55 324 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    /says more prayers
    Look ok to me safetywise http://www.euroncap.com/tests/fiat_punto_2000/28.aspx ;)
  • Vice.Destroyer 13 Jan 2011 15:38:38 5,850 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, first car has been bought and first car has been lost. We have a Fiat Punto 2002 and the girly has lost her car key. We only got one and the garage doesn't have another one. I take it, we go to the manufacturer for a replacement. Any idea of the cost. Someone at work is saying something in the 200 range.

Can it be done cheaper?
  • billythekid 13 Jan 2011 15:43:41 11,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Depends if it's just a key or if it has a coded chip in it. You could well be looking at having the locks and ignition barrel changed.
  • billythekid 13 Jan 2011 15:47:34 11,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Worth calling these guys I reckon.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last