Stephen King

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • ST.. 11 Mar 2003 22:05:00 934 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh look a thread not about terrorism now there’s a novelty.

Anyway, just recently finished reading "The Shining" and thought it was excellent. Are there any King fans on EG? And if so what tomes from his hefty-back catalogue would they recommend? Conversely which are best avoided?
  • striker 11 Mar 2003 22:13:09 2,603 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm a big fan, here.

Just bought the first book by chance. I'm portuguese but I wanted a book in english for the vacations. Had to be big and cheap. Thanks to penguin I bought Stephen King's The Stand.
    I've read about 6 of his books and found this one to be the best. And from what I've read trhough the net it is also his best book alongside It according to his fans. It's very long but it's great. I don't have time right now, I'll post tomorrow about other books.
  • ST.. 11 Mar 2003 22:15:18 934 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers, I was looking at both "The Stand" and "It" but was slightly put off by their Lord Of The Ring's rivalling length.

I've also read "Dreamcatcher" which I thought was poor.
  • lost_soul 11 Mar 2003 22:18:49 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I haven't read all his stuff, but I've read a fair bit.
    I would recommend Different Seasons - 4 short stories including Shawshank Redemption and The Body (Stand by Me).

I really liked some of his recent stuff - The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon, Hearts in Atlantis (brilliant book) and Bag of Bones.

I'm not sure abou his older stuff, it's about 15 years since I read any of it, but I remember enjoying The Stand and Pet Sematary.

oh yeah, the first couple of Dark Tower books were good, I wasn't so keen on the second 2, but they were interesting and the final 3 parts are out later this year/early next.

Edited by lost_soul at 22:20:52 11-03-2003
  • sam_spade 11 Mar 2003 22:19:13 15,745 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Basically anything that's been made into a well regarded movie is worth reading.

I used to really love King and throughly enjoyed Pet Sematary. Also try and get the Long Walk(?) from the Bachman Books. It, is excellent although the ending is slightly naff.

Also there's an excellent article on the Little Leagues in Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

And if you become interested in the man and his views on writing, then On Writing is no better text on writing and the man himself.
  • DrCongo 11 Mar 2003 22:24:13 912 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I do recommend "It", even though it's huge I read it fast enough... one of those "can't put it down till I've finished" books. King is a mean bastard, making you care sooo much for the characters in his books and then... :)

Also recommended: "Christine". The first King novel I ever read, and still (IMO) possibly the best. "The Dark Half" was really really scary, I couldn't finish it because ...I just couldn't.

The Dark Tower series is excellent as well. Not strictly horror per se, maybe a mix of horror and fantasy...

The rule of thumb seems to be that you're best off avoiding most of the stuff King has written during the last 5-10 years or so.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Mar 2003 22:26:13 35,425 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, it's about 12 years ago that I read my last Stephen King, but I really liked "It". King has an underrated talent in setting a perfect "typical American small town, sun is shining, birds are singing, paperboy is around on his bike"-mood, and it's especially well done in this one.

Reminds me it isn't that long ago really, I read this book about the girl that get's lost in the woods a while back. Not bad either.

And some of his short stories are prety good, for instance "The raft".
  • lost_soul 11 Mar 2003 22:28:19 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Reminds me it isn't that long ago really, I read this book about the girl that get's lost in the woods a while back. Not bad either.
    That was the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Mar 2003 22:30:24 35,425 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes that would be the one, read it in German so I didn't know the English title. Not a typical King, but a really good read.
  • NAZCA 11 Mar 2003 23:22:02 187 posts
    Registered 12 years ago
    Weird. It's been just a couple of hours since i watched Thinner (1996) on DVD. Never read the book, but the film was OK. Got a trip ahead of me. See you in two days.
  • theheadcharge 11 Mar 2003 23:37:24 471 posts
    Registered 12 years ago
    Man, i read dream catcher, that book was way too long, if I had had the whole front third of the bible i mean book chopped off in a freak guillotining accident and started reading i would not have missed a thing. Towards the end it gets pretty good but i gotta say that if i had had anything else to read (i was on holiday) i would have just put the book down and read something else, and normally i will read anything i start no matter how crappy.
    Not sure where i was going there. If you want a good book to read though try frank skinner (auto?)biography, bloody funny, he wrote it himself but i dont know which of those above i call it.
    Or failing that, you have to read captain corellis mandolin, one of my favourite books ever, it made me laugh, it made me cry (well almost anyway) and it made me think.
    Banging, no?
  • ST.. 11 Mar 2003 23:39:24 934 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "frank skinner (auto?)biography"

Now thats "horror" in the purest possible sense of the word!
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Mar 2003 08:46:40 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've read and enjoyed most of his 'classic horror' tales, although I've not been so keen on some of his more modern stuff. The Dark Tower series is excellent but hard going if you can't get into it. And 'The Stand' is probably my favourite. Try to get hold of the uncut version.
  • pjmaybe 12 Mar 2003 08:58:24 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Big big big fan. I think Needful Things is a cracking book, and The Green Mile, though sickly sweet, was a great idea when it was published in partworks..got me through art college that did!

Peej
  • gizmo 12 Mar 2003 09:19:32 2,025 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really enjoyed 'Four past midnight', a collection of 4 short stories. Pet semetary was also excellent. I'm part way through skeleton crew at the moment.
  • pjmaybe 12 Mar 2003 09:23:55 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good books by King (IMHO)

Needful Things, It, The Stand (I know it's long but it's cool...TV film was OK too apart from the AWFUL ending!), Tommyknockers, Christine, The Green Mile, Different seasons (including Apt Pupil and Shawshank - cool!), Gerald's Game, I could go on..

Peej
  • pistol 12 Mar 2003 09:48:35 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ST.. wrote:
    Oh look a thread not about terrorism now there’s a novelty.

Anyway, just recently finished reading "The Shining" and thought it was excellent. Are there any King fans on EG? And if so what tomes from his hefty-back catalogue would they recommend? Conversely which are best avoided?

I used to be a fan back in the 80's, but more so the films. I appreciate that the films are only based on his stories, but even so. I've only really got heavily into reading over the last 10 years or so.

Back then though I loved the Shining & Christine. The Shining freaks my misses out though, as when she was a kid lieing in her bed watching it, a burglar was on her roof and jumped down in front of her window. Her older brother had caught him trying to break in, so he legged it. I think I remember her saying the burglar literally wet himself because of the adreniline.

Oh, and remember Creepshow?

• binky Moderator 12 Mar 2003 09:58:43 9,436 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My lady is a very big King fan. think she's got nearly all of his books on the bookshelf. I know she really like Nightmares and dreamscapes. and Green Mile she raves about. IT is good. I prefer his short stories myself. Im desperately trying to think of the one i like... might be called Night shift?
  • pistol 12 Mar 2003 10:16:09 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    binky wrote:
    My lady is a very big King fan. think she's got nearly all of his books on the bookshelf. I know she really like Nightmares and dreamscapes. and Green Mile she raves about. IT is good. I prefer his short stories myself. Im desperately trying to think of the one i like... might be called Night shift?

Well Creepshow was one of his early ones. Basically a comic book of horror stories that come to life.
  • pjmaybe 12 Mar 2003 11:05:46 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    binky wrote:

Binky, what are the short stories in it? If it's the one with Rita Hayworth & Shawshank Redemption, that's different seasons (Great book!)

Did anyone ever watch Sleepwalkers? Total turkey with one saving grace, Madchen (YUMMY!) Amick!

Peej
  • striker 12 Mar 2003 20:56:51 2,603 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The are my opinions on the books i've read:

The Stand-My "horror" favourite. Don't forget to read the uncut version. It's incredible how so many little things about each character, each introduction to that character means so much in the book. Master storytelling.

The Dark Half - Also a great book, shorter but very dark.

Cujo - This one i didn't like much. It's not that I couldn't get myself to reading it, but I expected better.

Four Past Midnight - 4 short stories, including The Langoliers. Liked 2, the other 2 were just ok.

The following are more recent, and focus less on horror.

Salem's Lot - Nice book.

Bag of Bones - Another great book. Completely without horror. It's just a ghost and love story, and it's one of my favourite books.

I just didn't like Cujo very much. The others I'd recomend without hesitation.
    I just think King is a master storyteller. The way he grips us, the way he keeps us turning pages is great. Everything is calm, we're reading without much exaltation, and then he hits us with something like: "he left the room not knowing he had seen Katie for the last time".

The Stand is my favourite, much, but much better than the movie. And please, if you're interested in any book, don't see the movie first....
  • ST.. 12 Mar 2003 21:34:10 934 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm currently beavering through "The Dark Half", it's no classic but it's enjoyable enough, a tad corny perhaps.

Regarding the movie versions: I thought that the TV version of "IT" was very good.
  • striker 12 Mar 2003 21:54:34 2,603 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was broadcasted here in Portugal about an year ago, but didn't want to watch it without reading the book first. Anyone knows if these movies are avaiable on DVD?

I'd get The Stand asap if I were you ST, it's really great.
  • caligari 2 Aug 2006 03:31:05 16,989 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sooo...I re-read 'IT' the other day (well...it took a little longer than a day).

I now feel like going on a King binge for a few weeks.

What should I go for next? :)

Edited by caligari at 03:31:32 02-08-2006
  • Shadrach 2 Aug 2006 03:50:35 1,878 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No mention of the Dark Tower series?

OK, the last three books were pretty ... well, crap and the ending slightly disappointing but that shouldn't put you off. The first three books are awesome, the Waste Lands is one of the best King books ever.
  • caligari 2 Aug 2006 04:00:54 16,989 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shadrach wrote:
    No mention of the Dark Tower series?

OK, the last three books were pretty ... well, crap and the ending slightly disappointing but that shouldn't put you off. The first three books are awesome, the Waste Lands is one of the best King books ever.

What exactly IS the Dark Tower series? It always looked a little too 'Lord of the Rings' for my liking (although I did actually love the LOTR book, so what do I know?).
  • evilashchris 2 Aug 2006 04:34:41 6,957 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The dark tower is kings own mythology, threads from that run through ALL his other stories, it's very clever indeed.

Twitter: @COToole

• Genji 2 Aug 2006 06:06:43 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    evilashchris wrote:
    The dark tower is kings own mythology, threads from that run through ALL his other stories, it's very clever indeed.
    Not all of them, only Salem's Lot, Insonmia and The Stand, to an extent.

It's a good series, but my brain started turning off once King began inserting himself as a character in the last few books. It got so "meta", it was barely even a story anymore.

@caligari

It's like a wild west, time travelling, dimension hopping fantasy series. The main character is a Clint Eastwood clone. It's great for a while, but then it just gets weirder and weirder.

Edited by Genji at 08:07:54 02-08-2006
  • Scimarad 2 Aug 2006 07:10:46 8,530 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm a pretty long term SK fan (on and off) and I really loved From a Buick 8, though I know some people on here really didn't.
  • matrim83 2 Aug 2006 07:47:38 5,587 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Misery. Read it. Now.

Valar morghulis.

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous