Dark Souls Page 735

• Page

of 1218 First / Last

• mumtoucher 28 Feb 2013 11:37:43 298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We are both reaching the end of our first playthrough together -- apart from tomb of the giants its been a breeze. I'm rocking high strength with full upgraded black iron set + black knight sword and tower shield combo. Loving it.

Can't wait for the sequel, I'd love to be involved with the EG community on it - EPIC!!!!! (lets hope they dont fuck it up)
  • spindle8888 28 Feb 2013 11:39:03 11 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    yea it was his red mist attack that was really hurting, will need to have a nosey at my equipment i guess. Also does anyone know why i had 20 estus flasks on me? id thought 15 was the limit?.

Edited by spindle8888 at 11:39:18 28-02-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 28 Feb 2013 11:39:07 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mumtoucher It's all about invasions. As an invader it's normal to get into a world with 3 guys trying to kill you. And as a Co-Op player it's normal to have an advantage agaisnt one single invader - that's the nature of the game. It's not fair - I like that.
  • evild_edd 28 Feb 2013 11:44:56 3,172 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Pitch black places with yawning chasms left right and centre, riddled with 10 foot tall hard bastards is another story entirely :)
    Indeed. I can think of several places that make the first half of the game seem like Barbies Horse Adventures.

Good luck with those, evil edd. ;)
    All sounds like a peace of p*ss to me. Reckon I'll be on NG++ by Sunday! ;0)

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• JonFE 28 Feb 2013 11:49:43 1,456 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Pitch black places with yawning chasms left right and centre, riddled with 10 foot tall hard bastards is another story entirely :)
    I HATE that place, HATE IT!
  • JonFE 28 Feb 2013 11:56:28 1,456 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spindle8888 wrote:
    Also does anyone know why i had 20 estus flasks on me? id thought 15 was the limit?.
    Nope, fully kindled bonfires will give you 20.
  • spindle8888 28 Feb 2013 11:57:32 11 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ah thats a bit weird, i mustve missed out on fully kindling almost every bonfire in the game :)
  • RedSparrows 28 Feb 2013 12:53:12 23,882 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Gaping Dragon is possibly the most disgusting boss ever.
  • spindle8888 28 Feb 2013 13:03:11 11 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    dunno why but he always reminds me of an elephant, think its the way his cute little nose pops up over the ledge in his intro :p
  • Tricky 28 Feb 2013 16:51:44 4,479 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    The Gaping Dragon is possibly the most disgusting boss ever.
    Sounds more like an affliction than a creature :)

I finally got this when it was cheap on Amazon last week and it's definitely starting to sink its claws into me now - had the same issue with it at first that I did with Demon's Souls (too disheartening when you lose tonnes of souls) but I've put more time into it and am now able to waltz through most of Undead Burg with nary a care in the world. Looks like I'm not too far behind evil_edd's progress as I just got killed by that bastard dual-wielding demon down in the basement area.

I've got no idea how I'm supposed to sort out the gargoyle on top of the church that I walked into the other night and that Hydra in the Darkroot Basin looks proper mental (the crystal things around it are a piece of piss though). So, it looks like I've got plenty to challenge me and everything I hear suggests it's only going to get harder. Great game.
  • quadfather 28 Feb 2013 16:53:24 13,185 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tricky - don't forget you can summon helpful npc's in human form for assistance

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Mr_Sleep 28 Feb 2013 17:54:45 17,293 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    I finally got this when it was cheap on Amazon last week and it's definitely starting to sink its claws into me now - had the same issue with it at first that I did with Demon's Souls (too disheartening when you lose tonnes of souls) but I've put more time into it and am now able to waltz through most of Undead Burg with nary a care in the world. Looks like I'm not too far behind evil_edd's progress as I just got killed by that bastard dual-wielding demon down in the basement area.
    He is a bastard. Let us know if you struggle to take him out as there's some good tactics for that fight that will help.

I've got no idea how I'm supposed to sort out the gargoyle on top of the church that I walked into the other night and that Hydra in the Darkroot Basin looks proper mental (the crystal things around it are a piece of piss though). So, it looks like I've got plenty to challenge me and everything I hear suggests it's only going to get harder. Great game.
    Summoning is something to bear in mind. As for Hydra, his primary damaging attack is his ranged one, get in a bit closer and you may have more chance, standard tactics apply i.e. keep your shield up :-) He's only a mini-boss as there's no fog door so it's not essential to take him out for the main game.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 28 February 2013 19:43:23
    @Tricky Make sure you’re patient with every enemy you attack until you’re proficient with blocking and dodging. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

– Read up on fast / fat rolling and remember that heavy armour may be powerful but isn’t necessarily the best thing if you want to dodge quickly.
    – Make sure you read up on upgrading / crafting weapons. I had a Chaos Balder Side Sword that made mince meat out of most of my enemies.
    – Depending on your build, read up on the best ways to enhance your character. Some things you can level up are pointless (Resistance is pointless, for example)
    – Summon when you can and be summoned when you can. It’s a great way to get Souls & Humanity.
    – Always use Humanity when you can. With 10 Humanity active you can summon players, have great curse resistance and the enemy drop rate increases (you can farm humanity in parts of the game, so research that).

Edited by lukejones at 19:44:20 28-02-2013
  • Tricky 28 Feb 2013 21:47:41 4,479 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheers guys. So does humanity work a bit like levels? I.e. if I use 4 humanity and get killed, do I stay human but at level 3 of humanity or do I immediately get hollowed? Trying not to read up on too much as I want to find as many things out as I can for myself - the only thing I've really cheated in so far is to find out about the Drake Sword, which makes mince meat out of all standard enemies.
  • Tricky 28 Feb 2013 22:07:13 4,479 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So does that rob me of all humanity that I've spent? If so, then that's the kind of shit that worries me :-)
  • Azazel 28 Feb 2013 22:09:47 726 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You revert to hollow as soon as you die. You will retain all your humanity if you can reach your bloodstain and retrieve it (you only get one chance, so die on the return trip and it's gone for good).

Humanity affects item discovery, resistance to curses and the strength of chaos weapons which are available later in the game.

Edited by Azazel at 22:11:06 28-02-2013
  • Azazel 28 Feb 2013 22:22:25 726 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So anyway, I unlocked The Dark Soul at the weekend. I was all like, "Right, I'm done now. Time to get on with my life."

Last night I rolled a new character.
  • Tricky 28 Feb 2013 22:35:50 4,479 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah humanity is tied up with the souls as well - gotcha. Well that's not too bad, except when I got killed on the roof of the church at the furthest point from where you enter, losing 12000 souls in the process (yes, I know it's not a lot to you NG++++++++ guys, but it's a shit load this early in the game ;))
  • ZuluHero 28 Feb 2013 23:09:21 4,239 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are sneaky ways to bank souls, like buying dung. Frampt will give you the same back that you paid for them. Though you can only carry 99 of them, it's still a big chunk.
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 23:20:28
    Still waiting for an easy mode patch so I can play it.
  • RedSparrows 28 Feb 2013 23:30:43 23,882 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's really not that hard (says he who hasn't even finished one playthrough). More... demanding. You mainly fail because you cocked up, rather than the game being like a bullet-storm affair or simply broken.

You can play it in smallish chunks, also, weirdly.
  • TOOTR 1 Mar 2013 03:26:37 9,644 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Azazel wrote:
    So anyway, I unlocked The Dark Soul at the weekend. I was all like, "Right, I'm done now. Time to get on with my life."

Lol - I did the same :D

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• mumtoucher 1 Mar 2013 08:41:37 298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dan, not really delved into the world of invading yet, that is something I'm looking forward to immensely.
  • quadfather 1 Mar 2013 08:52:38 13,185 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    Azazel wrote:

Lol - I did the same :D
    Ah, so I'm not alone then. That's nice

• Deleted user 1 March 2013 09:53:55
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 1 March 2013 09:54:14
    @Tricky I’ve sunk around 80 hours into the game and halfway through NG+ in just over 4 hours, so it gets easier as you play it. Just be patient and get an understanding of each moveset the enemies have. For example you know if you get close to the heavy knights they’ll do a hard attack you can dodge and then backstab them (run around the back of them and press the light attack button).

I actually urge you to read up on the game online. It totally opens up the game and helps you understand concepts that are a little obscure. Here are a couple of decent pages to read:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Online
    http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Humanity
    http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Bonfire
  • Tricky 1 Mar 2013 14:07:20 4,479 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right, that's the Gargoyles dealt with (thanks to help from Solaire's phantom) and the first bell rung. Going to go and have another go at the Depths tonight - went down there and got battered by the two big feckers (are they smiths?) and then got dropped on by some horrible slime blob bastard. With no Estus left and little health I scarpered.

I guess that's where I need to go next though, right? Blighttown is accessed through it from what I can understand and that's where the next bell is?
  • quadfather 1 Mar 2013 14:09:07 13,185 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tricky - that's the standard route through, yes.

Keep an eye out for holes in the floor (mainly in thin corridors) in the depths. If you fall down, you'll be in a world of shit if you're not careful

Edit - use something firey against the slimes

Edited by quadfather at 14:09:26 01-03-2013

• Page

of 1218 First / Last