Dark Souls Page 592

• Page

of 1190 First / Last

• Dangerous_Dan 27 Sep 2012 08:52:10 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @matrim83

1) No you do not lose your Estus upgrade. The maximum is +7.

2)I'd buy all kinds of magic you want to use because in NG+ you can buy them again and then use your attunement slots to stack 2 crystal soul spears giving you 8 crystal soul spears and not only 4 (of course 2 attunement slots are used for that).

3)Things to get are the slabs. Everything else can be farmed rather easily. Oh and get a good divine weapon if you don't already have one it's more difficult in NG+ without one.

Oh and get the crystal weapon buff, it's very good and in NG+ you'll get a second one.
    It'll make life much easier if you can boost your damage with such a buff. 4 Kings...

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 08:54:01 27-09-2012
  • matrim83 27 Sep 2012 09:03:39 5,585 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got it. Thanks.

Valar morghulis.

• JonFE 27 Sep 2012 09:05:55 1,383 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @matrim83

1. Your estus flask upgrades are not lost, they carry on to NG+ (up to +7 in total). Same goes for the kindles, so first upgrade all bonfires to give you 20 estus; it makes things easier on NG+. Don't forget the bonfires back in the asylum.

2. You can murder anyone you like, they won't remember it on NG+ :) Merchants, blacksmiths, firekeepers, you name it.
  • Tuffty 27 Sep 2012 09:08:18 1,392 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    joelstinton: I know the feeling all too well, going through the same at the minute.

I went through the Darkroot Basin yesterday, and got the crap scared out of me when sitting at around 20000 souls and all these plant monsters and iron giants start spring up out of the ground at once. Had to properly sprint my way out of there. But the whole place is a piece of cake with the Lightning Spear. Even the Moonlight Butterfly was easy after 4 Great Chaos Fireballs and some hits from my spear. But then after more exploring I found those huge crystal-esque monsters who take very little damage from the spear and again, ran away lol. So I've got the Divine Ember, given it to the blacksmith, I guess he can create magic weapons now? I need to be sure which weapon I want to upgrade and ascend so I don't waste the titanite, and I'd like to ascend the Falchion into..something. Is that possible? Also, I got the Wolf Ring. Is boost poise basically saying you're not as susceptible to being stunned or something?

Edited by Tuffty at 09:09:17 27-09-2012
  • AcidSnake 27 Sep 2012 09:08:50 7,136 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @matrim83:
    Estus upgrades remain, no need to kill any firekeepers...

EDIT:
    Beaten to it...

Edited by AcidSnake at 09:09:20 27-09-2012

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Architect_z 27 Sep 2012 09:59:42 2,293 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Tuffty - Nice, i'm suprised you've got the lightning spear before venturing through darkroot forest. Anyway....

Devine ember is used to make +5 weapons into devine weapons. Devine weapons scale with your faith stat. Just to give a hint, devine weapons allow the dead to rest in peace. It's worth having a devine weapon. ^_^

Edited by Architect_z at 10:01:04 27-09-2012
  • Tuffty 27 Sep 2012 10:33:31 1,392 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Architect_z Ah interesting, so I need a weapon with a high Faith grade then, ideally. But then I'm not really dumping points into Faith in the first place. Guess having one would always be good to have at least.

That's another Dark Souls goal I have added to the list!
  • Deleted user 27 September 2012 10:53:38
    How do you upgrade weapons. I've got plenty of titane and a couple other ores. I tried using them, but to no avail. Scratch that i have a look in a guide somewhere :) (yet to find any blacksmiths?)

Got myself to the gargoyle boss. died pretty quickly. I freed the the man, yet to give me a reward. Very Tempted to kill him there and then for his rather tasty looking armour. But i shall wait.

How do you guys approach bosses in this. When i was playing demon souls, i often resorted to a guide before hand and gave it ago. But that kind of misses the point. Some bosses are pretty self explanotary, but some thinking to work out a pattern where to him etc. When i fought the taurog, some one left a nice try plunge attack, so it gives you an indication. But some no clues with the gargoyle yet!

Edited by joelstinton at 10:55:12 27-09-2012
  • Architect_z 27 Sep 2012 10:59:18 2,293 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Tuffty If you know how the weapon scaling stats work, it basically gives your weapon a faith damage stat, the claymore sword (I think) is a good one to upgrade, or if your a dex character, maybe a painted guardian sword. But don't put points into faith unless you use miracles regulary, your default stat will be enough.

Edited by Architect_z at 11:00:05 27-09-2012
  • Architect_z 27 Sep 2012 11:03:58 2,293 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @joelstinton - I have some bad news, the guy you freed is an anus.

Blacksmith located near where you set him free, opposite the church theres a path that leads down to a bonfire, and hes below the bonfire. He can upgrade your weapon. ^_^
  • Deleted user 27 September 2012 11:04:45
    @joelstinton

I think the tail is a good bet. But be wary of the second one turning up to ruin your fun.

If you're unhollowed you can summon an NPC to help you out. Maybe even another player will have a summon marking. I had a couple of guys to help me and the boss was killed without me having to touch it.

I've just got to Blighttown, the framerate down here is even worse than I remember. It's almost a slideshow. Coupled with precarious ledges makes me a sad re-hollowed panda.
  • Widge Moderator 27 Sep 2012 11:18:10 12,583 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My boss technique: do the level as a phantom first, so you can observe the boss "risk free" and then put what you learn into action.

RE: wolf ring - helps you not be staggered or interrupted when attacking. One of my favourite rings as I tend to wear armour with low poise. Means that if I come across a mob of people, I can get attacks off even when getting a nick.

As far as magic goes, I find myself only using soul arrow and homing soul mass. I really am not so sure on the benefits of the others.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Radamel 27 Sep 2012 14:37:19 579 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Any news on what Prepare to Die Edition (for consoles) will be? Will they make it just the same as the PC Version (with all the physical extras) or is it just the game bundled with a DLC code?

Ó mar salgado, quanto do teu sal
    São lágrimas de Portugal!
    Por te cruzarmos, quantas mães choraram,
    Quantos filhos em vão rezaram!
    Quantas noivas ficaram por casar
    Para que fosses nosso, ó mar!

• Dangerous_Dan 27 Sep 2012 14:49:30 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DARK SOULS with ARTORIAS OF THE ABYSS EDITION DARK SOULS THE COMPLETE GUIDE Prologue + DARK SOULS Special Map & Original Soundtrack (Video Game -2012)

That's the japanese version of the new edition.
    The map was also included in the original japanese release and was not included in the western release last time so it looks like a small guide, maybe even as download code again and maybe again the soundtrack.
  • Radamel 27 Sep 2012 15:05:14 579 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thank you. It's a shame it doesn't include the behind the scenes DVD, though.

Ó mar salgado, quanto do teu sal
    São lágrimas de Portugal!
    Por te cruzarmos, quantas mães choraram,
    Quantos filhos em vão rezaram!
    Quantas noivas ficaram por casar
    Para que fosses nosso, ó mar!

• Architect_z 27 Sep 2012 15:16:54 2,293 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Soundtrack is boss.
  • TOOTR 27 Sep 2012 15:31:01 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    @joelstinton

Those sound like the musings of a Dark Souls addict in the making.

Welcome! :)
    This!

Enjoy :)

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Elathron 27 Sep 2012 15:49:07 1,189 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - Hang on, that confused me... God knows how but it did! Is there an EU version coming o0ut with the map do you know m8y?

/gets out wallet...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Dangerous_Dan 27 Sep 2012 16:01:40 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Elathron - The map will be in the japanese version, the same map was included in the original limited edition as well but only in japan.

I'd like to see the map in the european version but I'd not bet on it.
  • Deleted user 27 September 2012 16:20:08
    defeated the gargoyles now. In the end i just summoned the sun knight. Pretty easy. Went to the top and rang the bell.

I did however do quite a bit before hand. I- retraversed the castle, killed the knight guarding the ring really easily. i've unlocked the basement, went downstairs and had a wonder round until i walked into the boss. I didn't have time to move as it jumped me and i got stuck in the corner. Found the blacksmiths; one near the church, the other in the basin, and purchased myself a reapair box and upgraded a couple bits of armour.

So quite a productive couple of hours.

This game is really getting under my skin. really addictive.

Edited by joelstinton at 16:21:18 27-09-2012
  • Bremenacht 27 Sep 2012 19:26:47 15,741 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    \o/

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• mcmothercruncher 27 Sep 2012 22:19:33 5,704 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yay, another convert. Such a rich gaming experience. I'm splitting time between this and Borderlands 2 and, though BL2 is incredibly slick and enjoyable it could not be a more shallow game. Go here, kill, get new thing, go there, kill, get another new thing. I barely know (or care) what is happening when. I'm sure I'll get bored eventually. Dark Souls however- I'm already at 200 plus hours and I've not plans to stop :)
  • Red_Bool 28 Sep 2012 08:33:49 1,142 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To anyone who didn't know yet: buying the Crest of Astoria is one of the best choices you can make in this game - well worth the souls! Spent about an hour yesterday grinding a bit in the forest and went from SL43 to SL49 (and it really didn't feel like grinding either :)).

I also met Alvina (almost missed it), but got thoroughly confused with what it was saying so in the end I answered 'no'. So now it doesn't want to talk to me anymore :( Is it worth the souls to get this straightened out? (perhaps later?)

I think I'll go up one more level tonight (only one more! really!) to make it a nice round number SL50 and then seek out Sif.

/is not addicted
    //really
  • BeheretiK 28 Sep 2012 08:39:01 858 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If someone asks you if you are a God, you say yes dammit! :-)

I'm not sure if you can reverse it but I know you can pay someone later on to absolve your sins if you betrayed the forest covenant - not sure if that applies if you refused to speak to her in the first place.

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Red_Bool 28 Sep 2012 08:42:54 1,142 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BeheretiK wrote:
    If someone asks you if you are a God, you say yes dammit! :-)

I'm not sure if you can reverse it but I know you can pay someone later on to absolve your sins if you betrayed the forest covenant - not sure if that applies if you refused to speak to her in the first place.
    Oh! Is *that* what it was saying!? :)
    I already did a wiki-check yesterday and you can indeed fix it by absolving this sin with the dude at the bell tower, but it's kinda costly. So I was wondering whether it would be worth the effort.
  • BeheretiK 28 Sep 2012 08:46:51 858 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whether it is worth it or not depends I guess. Personally I think you can do and get everything you need from the forest without joining them. You would lose out on some items Shiva of the East sells and obviously any benefits of being part of the Forest Covenant - so unless you really want to be part of that covenant I would not think you are missing out on much. I'm sure someone else can correct if I am wrong!

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Dangerous_Dan 28 Sep 2012 08:50:28 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Red_Bool You miss out on defending the forest 1v2 PvP.
    There is the ring of fog that you miss out. (can also be traded for with an invisible barter crow-girl)
    And Shiva sells Katanas and other nice weaponry.
  • Architect_z 28 Sep 2012 08:53:56 2,293 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Red_Bool - Alvina is the leader of the cat covenant, and to be honest its not really worth joining her covenant, so I wouldnt bother requesting absoluton. Her covenant involves team style PvP, so if you've got a PvP build, you could give it a go. But there are other covenants in the game that have PvP style gameplay involved that are more rewarding.

I didnt buy the crest on my first playthrough and thought it was a great move based on the fact you can get into that part of the forest after abit of exploring. But on NG+ I did buy the door, and it is actually worth every penny. Once you find the secret bonfire
  • Red_Bool 28 Sep 2012 09:02:33 1,142 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers guys! I think for now I'll keep it as it is. I'm not doing on PvP (yet) anyway, so I'll fix this later.

Another question though: previously there were a couple of ghostly figures in the forest that were harassing me (a knight and a thief), but they appear to have gone. The knight was normally coming at me quite near the door to the forest, but I didn't see him all evening.
    Is this a glitch or do they move to another part of the forest?

@Architect_z - if you mean the bonfire right next to the door - yes! :D

Edited by Red_Bool at 09:04:29 28-09-2012
  • AcidSnake 28 Sep 2012 09:06:43 7,136 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Red_Bool:
    Some simply don't respawn...

Did they ever fix the lemmings glitch in the forest there?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Page

of 1190 First / Last