DmC (Devil May Cry 5) Page 2

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• senso-ji 15 Sep 2010 14:08:14 6,041 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rauha wrote:
    Ninja Theory have been confirmed as the dev's for this at TGS.

The last thing DMC needs is a load of QTEs, but I bet it's exciting for the british dev to be working on such a big franchise.
  • Cappy 15 Sep 2010 14:11:18 12,115 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    edit: This guy.

Bloody Hell! It's uncanny.

Maybe Capcom could get a celebrity sponsorship deal going with him for the Japanese release.
  • Animal 15 Sep 2010 14:44:28 426 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trailer.

Not convinced. =/
  • Deleted user 15 September 2010 15:45:20
    If they'd ditch the prison/torture bit with whatshisname on the voice, bring back the true Dante (DMC1) then it would look so much more appealing.
  • Deleted user 15 September 2010 15:50:20
    I fully expect a mutiny from the DMC fanbase, what the fuck have they done to Dante? Hopefully with enough backlash from the community, Capcom will revert back to the old model. I really dont understand the change? Is this guy suppose to appeal to western audiences?
  • Dirtbox 15 Sep 2010 15:52:06 79,176 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I see the traditional proclivity to cast emotionally complex pillow biters continues to flow freely.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 15 September 2010 15:55:42
    Why even use the DMC name?
  • senso-ji 15 Sep 2010 15:57:09 6,041 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looking at the trailer, it looks like a DMC story prequel (although DMC3 was supposed to be a prequel :/); I noticed that Dante's hair is half black/grey, and he has a teenage look about him. Hopefully it'll turn out well.
  • glaeken 15 Sep 2010 15:57:10 11,265 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think from the art perspective that is an improvement on the old DMC as its not so generically Japanese. It still is to an extent but nowhere near as much as the old spiky haired Dante. I do get a bit fed up of the whole spiky haired androgynous giant sword wielder look.
  • Deleted user 15 September 2010 16:02:40
    i wonder if this franchise will get the prologue treatment too. hmmm...?
  • Derblington 15 Sep 2010 16:06:31 22,277 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I quite like the reborn Danté. I like the look of the whole thing actually, and I suspect the game will be a bit less bastard-hard and accessible (I fear the combat will take a knock in the process though) which might mean I get on with it a bit better.

I reckon it'll be a more open action adventure without the fixed cam too, more Heavenly Sword than DMC in design, I guess.
  • Deleted user 15 September 2010 16:48:29
    Suker Punch tried pulling this shit with Infamous 2, But after heavy fan criticism they reverted back to the old model.

God i hope Capcom do the same. Come on all you estranged DMC fans, this new Dante has got to fucking go!

/kneels and prays
  • Dirtbox 15 Sep 2010 16:49:48 79,176 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait a sec...

Is that... Is that Pete Doherty?

• Deleted user 15 September 2010 16:50:47
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Wait a sec...

Is that... Is that Pete Doherty?

:'(
  • ChthonicEcho 15 Sep 2010 16:51:23 410 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    InFamous 2 is a continuation of the story; it's a sequel. This game is a reboot, which warrants the name Devil May Cry, but by no means binds the developers to use the original Dante. It's likely we'll meet Lady and possibly even Vergil, but they'll be vastly different from their original iterations.
  • Dirtbox 15 Sep 2010 16:52:22 79,176 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Devil May Slur And Squirt Blood At A Cameraman

• Deleted user 15 September 2010 17:14:15
    I'm always for games taking a "new direction" but frankly, this did nothing for me , sure , it looks pretty and "flashy" , still , it's got nothing to do with DMC's spirit in my honest opinion :(

Asura's wrath on the other hand , well , that looked amazing...
  • ChthonicEcho 15 Sep 2010 17:15:04 410 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Actually, the main character made me think of this cunt.
  • Machetazo 15 Sep 2010 17:33:06 6,372 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    I really dont understand the change? Is this guy suppose to appeal to western audiences?

CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    Why even use the DMC name?
    Because, "Dante" in the trailer, is Dante we know, but depicted as a regular guy? Stripped of ott/anime appeal, and direction. Is Dante even actually the true name of the kid seen contained and interrogated in the trailer.
  • Tuffty 15 Sep 2010 19:15:00 1,746 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Machetazo wrote:
    Because, "Dante" in the trailer, is Dante we know, but depicted as a regular guy? Stripped of ott/anime appeal, and direction. Is Dante even actually the true name of the kid seen contained and interrogated in the trailer.

But that's the problem when you remove the OTT appeal, you get another self-serious or 'realistic' game in a market that's saturated with them. Even what Dante's wearing in that trailer looks ridiculous when you try to make it realistic. Change up the gameplay, fine. New story, I can work with. But a character redesign is almost always never good.

I don't think Ninja Theory are likely to replicate the way DMC plays. A reboot implies something more than just a stylistic approach. I don't know about you guys but I'd just feel like playing a DMC knockoff rather than a proper continuation in the series.
  • Machetazo 15 Sep 2010 22:26:30 6,372 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I feel similarly about this, as I did the first time I watched the Mortal Kombat live action reboot concept mini-film. The time is right. This is a way back. For that property to return to being something people can want to play, with enthusiasm again. I'm happy that they're not trying to reinvent the wheel, but repackaging the core elements in a way that they would be able to continue on, and do a great deal more with in future. As opposed to where they were before.

Dante Begins, seems a decent explanatory waypoint. Except, our "Dante" here, is human, mortal and thus restricted (was he fighting with a bo staff, and semi-autos in the clip lol). Just my assumption, in all, though. You mention his clothing, and i think you're right, in that it lacks the style of Dante's jacket...But, it's not entirely unlike it, either. There are recognisable cues adopted from the original games style, witnessed in the trailer.

For these reasons, I very much hope that the decision makers decide to tell the story they decide, with their chosen character and design. I agree with chthonic's point, that it's a different situation to Infamous (and I felt SP did the right thing there) because this isn't an established storyline to be continued. There is no continuity to disrupt.
  • Xephon1970 15 Sep 2010 23:38:31 28 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm pleasantly surprised at how much Ilike this, it needed a drastic overhaul, but this won't be to everyone's taste. I thought DMC 4 was too generic, too much rooted to it's PS2 heritage, I tried so hard to like it, but just never clicked with me like the others did. Maybe I was expecting too much.

And why on earth do devs/publishers listen to us? We don't know what the hell we want...
  • Feanor 15 Sep 2010 23:47:11 14,185 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This new Dante looks suspiciously like a Ninja Theory developer Tameem Antoniades.

http://heavenlynariko.wordpress.com/2009/11/19/enslaved-interview-with-tameem-antoniades/

And this gameplay footage really isn't doing anything for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsqdjunqkAE

• Tuffty 16 Sep 2010 00:26:09 1,746 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thing is though, they tried this 'Darker Dante' angle with DMC2 and it was a critical failure.
  • Feanor 16 Sep 2010 00:33:33 14,185 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Awesome comic strip response from the GAF thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23353538&postcount=2193
  • JBlokeUK 16 Sep 2010 00:38:33 2,307 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ChthonicEcho wrote:
    Actually, the main character made me think of this cunt.

That's exactly what sprang to my mind too, great, more twilight related shite spreading to video games now? Am a big fan of the DMC series, but if Dante is now going to look like some emo vampire child then I'll be steering well clear of it.

Capcom, Ninja Theory or whoever the hell is developing this, fuck off and don't come back until Dante looks like Dante.

I like it when he's angry.

• Tuffty 16 Sep 2010 01:01:06 1,746 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, I actually like this idea. Someone pointed out that with the talk of "subject 6.4.4.3.2.V", a "rehabilitation program" and no Rebellion (Dante's sword), that this guy only believes he is Dante. If true, I would quite gladly eat humble pie and conceed that it was a brilliant move on their part. Looks like a story hook that just has to be kept under fierce lockdown though as it suggests a major turning point in the story.

Ah, I gotta take a backseat to this lol
  • Dirtbox 16 Sep 2010 01:08:13 79,176 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does it actually matter? You get to jump about in the guise of a twat and do stupid combos in the exact same way you did in the previous 4 games.

• Obiwanshinobi 16 Sep 2010 04:04:29 866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I think from the art perspective that is an improvement on the old DMC as its not so generically Japanese. It still is to an extent but nowhere near as much as the old spiky haired Dante. I do get a bit fed up of the whole spiky haired androgynous giant sword wielder look.
    Do you think Bioshock and God of War had good character design too? That would explain quite a lot.
    I'd say Kazuma Kaneko's character design was pretty good. I liked every game sporting his designs I played (even Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner), so it's a mark of quality in my book.
    This one is pretty ugly, and not in a good way to boot. Yes, it doesn't look Japanese anymore, which is most likely intentional, but I've seen way better western designs in much older games. Say, if the original Max Payne's head grew out of his neck, that would be fucking AWESOME. Would explain something important as well (namely what happened to his head between Max Payne and Max Payne 2).
  • Feanor 16 Sep 2010 04:10:01 14,185 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Does it actually matter? You get to jump about in the guise of a twat and do stupid combos in the exact same way you did in the previous 4 games.

Based on the the trailer it looked quite different to and inferior than DMC, DMC 3, DMC 3:SE and DMC 4.

Also, Heavenly Sword's combat system doesn't inspire much confidence.
  • Page

of 25 First / Last