Any NFL fans? Page 18

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• oldschoolsoviet 27 Sep 2012 15:20:06 5,771 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There was a wee story in the Metro about how much the bookies reckoned they'd lost, can't remember the figure (500mil ?), and that's only the official ones. The other thing I didn't like was the whole US schmaltz about the 'amazing play', the great skill by Tate etc, completely whitewashing the controversial decision after decision mire throughout.

Can't help but feel a UK reporter asking Pete Carroll "How's it feel to steal the game ?" would've made a more interesting 30 second post-game interview.
  • ronuds 27 Sep 2012 15:26:59 21,786 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The coach has to stand by his players.

I heard some of the Seahawk players admit they didn't win. M. Lynch said he felt bad for Packers fans. What are you going to do, though - give it back?
  • Tryhard 28 Sep 2012 18:28:31 6,044 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Watching the Browns vs Ravens game,it was like a well oiled machine having the real refs back.The head ref was lifting his cap to the cheers of the crowd when he first came out,like some hero returning home :-P .

Here is the scary hit on Cribbs,thankfully he got up and walked off.

Edited by Tryhard at 18:42:22 28-09-2012
  • StarchildHypocrethes 29 Sep 2012 11:07:29 27,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As I was busy all week I've only just caught up with the Monday night game I recorded.

Oh my... :D

Glad to hear the ref issue has now been sorted as it's been getting increasingly ridiculous. Looking forward to seeing Ed Hockuly's guns again, too.

Not going to get to excited though, as the NFL has been making bullshit roughing the passer and pass interference calls for years, even with the real refs.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 11:08:46 29-09-2012
  • JBlokeUK 29 Sep 2012 11:14:41 2,307 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Funny thing about the Packers vs Seahawks game was that the game itself was just about forgotten. The play of the Seahawks defense was awesome.

Good to have the real zebras back though.
  • Gruff 29 Sep 2012 12:46:21 3,075 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Here we are again, another NFL season well under way, and the Browns are 0-4 and talking about changing the coach and other staff.

Depressing
  • 1Dgaf 5 Oct 2012 11:00:49 4,190 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've watched a couple of games with a friend. He's English, but used to play in a sunday American football league (or somesuch). It's quite cool being talked through the tactics and how the plays work.

I went to NY when I was seven, so since then I've always had a soft-spot for the NY Jets. But as a grown up I like Green Bay's 'fan owned' model.

EDIT:

Oh and I just bought a AF boardgame from 1982 called Football Strategy. It's quite cool because, unlike Pizza Box Football or 1st and Down, it's almost all card-driven. I pick a defence, you pick a play, we reveal and then look up the results on a table.

Most interesting than it sounds.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 11:03:16 05-10-2012
  • fletch7100 5 Oct 2012 11:26:11 7,897 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not been keeping myself upto date with NFL news or results. Am Denver fan since John Elway, Terrell Davis and Shannon Sharpe days.

Last bit of news I heard from NFL was the Saints incident I believe it was. Concerning knocking out other teams players and getting $10k reward for each knockout
  • ronuds 5 Oct 2012 13:19:55 21,786 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Denver is 2-2, in case you were wondering. Manning vs. Brady this weekend - should be awesome!
  • fletch7100 5 Oct 2012 13:21:42 7,897 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Which one of the Manning brothers, last I heard Cutler was QB

Don't worry I stop being a lazy bastard and look for the info myself :)

Edited by fletch7100 at 13:22:44 05-10-2012
  • ronuds 5 Oct 2012 13:23:11 21,786 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Holy crap - that was like 5 years ago! Peyton Manning took over the helm for Denver this season. It was very exciting for them... apparently not for you, though! :p
  • captbirdseye 5 Oct 2012 13:24:43 6,263 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ronuds Manning doesn't look the same player to me after his awful injury last year, and he really struggles on some of the plays at distance. Brady should have a field day against a pretty average Broncos defense this week. Steelers game is the pick though :D.
  • ronuds 5 Oct 2012 13:32:01 21,786 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @captbirdseye - Yeah, he seems to be having problems with his seam routes, but he's thrown a couple 10-yd out patterns that have made me think he looks almost as good as ever. He's still got enough to be great, imo.

Either way, I think Pats take it. Brady has somewhat owned Manning over the years - and now he's on a brand new team playing on the road? It'll be an uphill battle, for sure. And Brady showed twice last year that he could move the ball pretty easily against the Broncos.

Edit: Oh yeah, Steelers game should be good! My wife's a Pitt. fan, and although I'm not, I'll definitely be cheering for them over the dog murderer!

Edited by ronuds at 13:39:23 05-10-2012
  • captbirdseye 5 Oct 2012 13:41:21 6,263 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ronuds Should be a straight forward result for the Pat but you never know this year with some of the 4-0 teams.

Should be a brutal game with two massive defences although neither team has really got going yet. I can see Vick struggling with his dodgy back and chest (he's wear kevlar at the mo) and have a feeling he's in for a loooonnnggg afternoon.

Not a massive fan of his personal life choices, but for me he's easily the most exciting QB the NFL has had in recent years as he's so unpredictable.
  • ronuds 5 Oct 2012 13:46:42 21,786 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Steelers get Troy and Harrison back, too. Vick is going to get pounded all day. It'll be glorious.

The Steelers better win, though. They've certainly not lived up to expectations so far. They beat my Jets, but the Jets are a disgrace in just about every way this season!
  • captbirdseye 5 Oct 2012 13:49:29 6,263 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ronuds Hehehe, less said about the Jets the better, and how Sanchez is still first choice QB i'll never know as he's been awful for years now.
  • ronuds 5 Oct 2012 13:55:14 21,786 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @captbirdseye - It's their freakin' owner, man. He's all glitz and worries more about money than whether they win or not. Why else would you pick up Tebow in the offseason when you needed so many other things? I've been a Jets fan since I was in my mother's womb, ffs, and it was much more fun when they were the "lovable loser" than what Johnson's turned this team into, which is an effing circus. A big-mouthed, losing circus.

He sickens me.
  • Tryhard 6 Oct 2012 10:55:59 6,044 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There has been some amazing games so far this season.And the term Any Given Sunday[Thursday/Monday] is coming true.I am glad I do not bet on the NFL as I'd be under a bridge with no money to buy a bottle of whiskey.

The only people who won't be enjoying things so far are Jets and Saints fans.
  • ronuds 8 Oct 2012 15:06:42 21,786 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One bet you'll win is the Texans beating the Jets tonight.
  • Tryhard 10 Oct 2012 21:25:01 6,044 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Jets played them tough,I tip my cap to them.

Tip my cap to Andy Reid for making the Eagles go for 4th and 1 at their own 30.
  • ronuds 10 Oct 2012 22:16:20 21,786 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, but there are no consolation wins for playing tough. At least they didn't lay down, I was glad for that.

Andy Reid is living on borrowed time.
  • Tryhard 11 Oct 2012 11:17:46 6,044 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It is a dilemma for any franchise, a coach who has alot of regular season wins and not alot of success in postseason.Unless you have a strong replacement you might be thrown into a tough rebuilding process to reshape the team to the new coaches philosophy.

Whoever gets Andy Reid, if he is fired after this season will be better off.
  • ronuds 11 Oct 2012 14:41:29 21,786 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Once it's obvious the team is no longer moving forward, which would appear to be the case for them now, you have to make a change - for better or worse. He's got the team to win, so I think a lot of their woes can be attributed to his coaching.

Having said that, he's got this season still.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 28 Oct 2012 14:24:06 522 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone going to Wembley for the game tonight?
  • BillMurray 27 Nov 2012 01:36:39 8,283 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Go Eagles! Do hope this is a good game. First Eagles game ill have seen all season and I hope I manage to keep awake till at least the 3rd quarter. Eagles record is pretty terrible at the moment though.

Also I think this is the first time I've watched on the BBC. Not sure I'm liking the odd dual lazy boys seating setup. Think I've been spoilt by the proper studio and Mike Carlson on Five.

Edit* Eagles suuuck :/

Edited by BillMurray at 02:07:47 27-11-2012
  • oldschoolsoviet 27 Nov 2012 07:41:42 5,771 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Better to watch the cut-down repeat between 10pm/12am tonight (Tues). It avoids most of the "fluff" and those infuriating ad-hiding jingles/stat cards. Nice to see the BBC are starting to put a bit of effort in, but it still doesn't beat Danny Wallace-a-like and Carlson on 4.

Less said about my ravaged Packers the better. :(
  • ronuds 27 Nov 2012 14:37:42 21,786 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Giants are the Pack's worst nightmare. You're not beating that defense w/o a running game - they'll be drilling your QB all day.

The Eagles are a train wreck.
  • welshben23 27 Nov 2012 16:49:32 1,138 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Less said about my ravaged Packers the better. :(
    Two years ago I was 28 years old. That's 38-10! :cool:
  • Tryhard 28 Nov 2012 13:35:50 6,044 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My Ravens are living by the skin of their teeth.Defense coming together despite injuries and a hot and cold offense.Their win over San Diego is a good building block for confidence,but they need to learn to play better out of the gate on the road,which has always been their problem.

You cannot complain about an 9-2 record though.

Cannot believe how many OT games there have been this season.
  • ronuds 28 Nov 2012 13:37:44 21,786 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ray Lewis might come back this week, which will help! Their defense hasn't been the problem, though.

Flacco's going to have to play better. 10 pts. a game will get you bounced from the playoffs very quickly.
  • Page

of 52 First / Last