Iphone Development - People Wanted

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • fergal_oc 4 Jul 2010 09:57:35 2,764 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    All,

Apologies for the potential flagrant forum rule breaking but this forum is perfect for what I'm after.

I'm soon to be leaving the comfortable confinds of the world of the employee and heading in to the self-employed contracting world. I've already got a contract up and ready so that's all good but it's not exactly what I want to do long term.

I've been toying for a while the idea of setting up a small games development company and the small overheads of entry provided by Xbox Live Arcade and now the Iphone App Store are now too strong to keep at bay.

With this in mind I'm looking for some like-minded developers/story/arty people to kick-off an extra-curricular venture in to the world of games development. Keeping it small and part time to start with if success is found then there's the potential to turn the dream in to a full-time road to megastardom I'm sure.

If any of you are interested please reply or send me a message and we'll see where it goes.
  • Pirotic Moderator 4 Jul 2010 10:03:04 20,648 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @property (nonspam, retain) IBOutlet Thread *this;
  • heyyo 4 Jul 2010 10:13:51 14,371 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We can use this thread to go crazy in?
  • Physically_Insane 4 Jul 2010 10:14:57 9,111 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where are you situated?
  • fergal_oc 4 Jul 2010 12:29:42 2,764 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    Where are you situated?

I'm in Farnborough.

I've been frequenting Eurogamer for quite a few years now so hopefully people will treat this a little more seriously then if my user just happened to turn up a few days ago :)
  • thrawn 4 Jul 2010 12:39:22 892 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How many hours per week commitment would you want?
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Jul 2010 12:47:10 17,293 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you need someone to do sound effects and soundtracks and whatnot then I might well be your man. I'm London based but I reckon it's possible to do this sort of thing remotely.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Raiko101 4 Jul 2010 13:02:26 6,608 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If I didn't have another year of Uni ahead of me, i'd be very much interested. I'm studying Interactive Media, which involves studying Maths, C++, OO-programming, Actionscript, Flash, 3D animation/modelling, and i've even worked with the Unreal 3 engine to an extent. I've been programming for 4 years, so i'm quite confident in that respect, but I much prefer the visual side to gaming.

However, I wouldn't say i'm all that confident at the minute anyways. If i've got another year of study left, i'm clearly not experienced enough. That and my CV is lacking complete projects at the minute.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• fergal_oc 4 Jul 2010 13:12:33 2,764 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the interest so far.

I very much see this as an experiement in the first instance. An initial strategy of rapidly putting something together over 3months or so and then seeing how it flies (or not). If it recoops the hardware/software requirement costs then fantastic although I do not expect it to.

Once the team have learnt some lessons and matured it's ideas and methods then it should aim for a higher quality effort that's intended to make some money.

An Xbox Arcade effort might be the best place to start because it's entry level is lower than the IPhone as most people will have a Windows PC and some access to an Xbox. But I do see the IPhone as having the market for impulse purchases and with the right marketing strategy could really take off.
  • Menace 4 Jul 2010 13:35:35 5,790 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd love to be a part of it, but I'm still trying to get my own project up and running..

I'd recommend reading this:
    'getting real' Like they say themselves, it's not a rule book, only what has worked well for them.

- and for our team working remotely Google docs (including spreadsheets, presentations etc) has worked very well. Skype is very good for discussing things also.

Best of luck with the projects! =)

www.bigbitegames.com/soccer

• Syrette 4 Jul 2010 13:37:01 44,097 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do you need someone to make your tea?

• Deleted user 4 July 2010 16:34:29
    I thought I'd dabble in iPhone development (I do mostly actionscript 3 stuff), I started reading some tutorials, got to the second paragraph, "you NEED a mac to develop on iPhone and iPad".

That's as far as I got.
  • dominalien 4 Jul 2010 16:58:45 7,029 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can do design work, full time. I have game and general application design experience. I can start the week of July 12, as I'm taking part in organising the wikimania 2010 conference right now.

PSN: DonOsito

• Pirotic Moderator 4 Jul 2010 17:09:22 20,648 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    fergal_oc wrote:
    An Xbox Arcade effort might be the best place to start because it's entry level is lower than the IPhone as most people will have a Windows PC and some access to an Xbox. But I do see the IPhone as having the market for impulse purchases and with the right marketing strategy could really take off.

I wouldn't advise starting out with an xbox live arcade title, not unless you have a big amount of capital investment coming from somewhere. Plenty of studios have gone bust during the development of their first title due to the unforeseen cost of the certification process, and you would never turn a profit releasing under the XNA scheme.

iOS (Iphone/ipad) is where it's at for start-ups, the cost of getting a game to market is a pittance and while you do run a greater risk of launching into an overcrowded market place and falling straight into obscurity, so long as you keep the budget modest and do your market research, it's pretty hard not to cover costs. It's quite sickening the amount of people I know who've been able to quit their jobs because they spent a month making an iPhone game, one guy made 300,000 in the first month for something he developed over a weekend... the c**t.
  • fergal_oc 6 Jul 2010 20:34:46 2,764 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    fergal_oc wrote:

I wouldn't advise starting out with an xbox live arcade title, not unless you have a big amount of capital investment coming from somewhere. Plenty of studios have gone bust during the development of their first title due to the unforeseen cost of the certification process, and you would never turn a profit releasing under the XNA scheme.

iOS (Iphone/ipad) is where it's at for start-ups, the cost of getting a game to market is a pittance and while you do run a greater risk of launching into an overcrowded market place and falling straight into obscurity, so long as you keep the budget modest and do your market research, it's pretty hard not to cover costs. It's quite sickening the amount of people I know who've been able to quit their jobs because they spent a month making an iPhone game, one guy made 300,000 in the first month for something he developed over a weekend... the c**t.

Totally agree with you Pirotic. Considering that most Iphone apps are smack bang in the impulse buy range you could release almost any old crap and get something.

Lavalant highlights to main reason why I'd suggest starting off with developing something using XNA because it'd be easier to develop the framework for game without the initial cost of an apple mac. Once you're happy with the concept and that it'd apply well to the Iphone platform then you could decide whether or not it's worth the risk of the investment.

If anything I'm only doing this because I'd love Susannah Reid to love our app and then invite me in to sit on the sofa with her on a Friday morning on BBC Breakfast :)

• Jazzy_Geoff 6 Jul 2010 20:39:53 7,781 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    if you need any help with business stuff let me know.

I'm a tax consultant, but I can pull a profit and loss together, set up companies blah blah blah

first tip:

see if you can make your start-up an EIS company to encourage investment
  • Derblington 6 Jul 2010 20:52:08 22,115 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This thread epitomises all the good things about this forum.
  • Mr-Brett 6 Jul 2010 21:06:44 12,878 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Fergal_oc

Do you mean Xbox Live Arcade or Xbox Indies?

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• fergal_oc 8 Jul 2010 07:29:39 2,764 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr-Brett

Most likely Xbox Indies, again to reduce entry overheads.

I used to work on the Xbox Certification team so I've got a fairly good idea of how to get a game through certification first time so if we went for full Xbox Live Arcade I don't think it'd be too much of a problem.
  • Neut 8 Jul 2010 10:15:27 377 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What kinda arty people you looking for?
  • fergal_oc 10 Jul 2010 06:56:16 2,764 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Definitely need arty people.

At the moment it's likely to be a 2d sprite based offering in the first instance.
  • speed182 10 Jul 2010 07:20:25 940 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you need a tea boy, I'm in Camberley just round the corner ;)

PSN ID: DJSpeed14
    Follow me on Twitter: Speeedy14

• DarthCheesiest 13 Jul 2010 02:04:44 1,260 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    XNA 4.0 beta released today
    http://creators.xna.com/en-GB/news/xnags40beta

• Vroom 13 Jul 2010 02:22:44 4,644 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    fergal_oc wrote:

At the moment it's likely to be a 2d sprite based offering in the first instance.

Need anything iOS related gimme a shout ;)

Vroom

• jerrymanu 13 Jul 2010 07:17:56 3,119 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fergal_oc wrote:

Freelance 3DMax & Photoshop guy ready for commission. International too, so there'll be some VAT saving to be had.
  • [maven] 13 Jul 2010 09:51:43 5,185 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There is also this group (which is very quiet but appropriate).
    Anyway, I can attempt answer general Cocoa (not done any Cocoa Touch though) and game development / 3d questions.
  • Carlo 13 Jul 2010 09:55:20 18,178 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Happy to help you build up your server or datacentre infrastructure if I can in some way.

I'm afraid I can't program or develop these days, been a DC/infra builder too long now :)

PSN ID: Djini

• twoism 13 Jul 2010 11:09:58 181 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Would be up for helping out on 3D modeling and animation. Not got any industry experience, but would like an opportunity to get my foot in the door I suppose.
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 13 Jul 2010 11:28:10 1,913 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not quite prepared to quit my job yet, but if you need anyone to write backstory/script/etc, then give me a bell. I'm very cheap in more ways than one, fnarr fnarr.

Me wanna be am writer like innit.

To add 7% more professionalism to my post, I do actually have a fair amount of writing experience: presentation/promo writing for my actual job, and lots of script writing in my spare time.
  • mingster 13 Jul 2010 11:33:37 3,280 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought you could do Iphone app development on a PC but using VM.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous