Ni no Kuni: The Another World for PS3 - Studio Ghibli/Level 5 title Page 19

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• StarchildHypocrethes 4 Feb 2013 22:16:52 25,624 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Playing on "normal" but don't use any abilities unless its a bounty or a boss. The melee guys can deal with pretty much any mobs so far (28 hours in).

For bosses I have whatsherface set to "keep us alive" and then switch the other guy between "provide backup" and "give it your all" depending on how the fight us going.

Mana tends to last for most big fights this way and alchemy makes getting mana potions etc a lot cheaper if needed.
  • Zackv4861 4 Feb 2013 22:41:05 1,084 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yep regular battles set allys as don't use abilities. Only change for a boss you do all healing if need be.

I'm doing all bounty's and side missions as i go along fighting everything i come across nothing more or less and i'm finding it fine. I'll be honest it's not a great battle system but i don't hate it either. Playing on normal also.

My familars i use;

I use Mite - attack 108
    AI 1- rat cat thing(can't remember name) attack 80
    AI 2- Gunther attack 118

Hope that helps or at least gives you a measure. I'm 25 hours in and just reached the pig city
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 23:33:13
    higgins78 wrote:
    Can anybody familiar in the art of turn-based gameplay please help me? I'm very, very unfamiliar with this type of game and am struggling even before reaching a "boss", dying fairly repeatedly as I am battling supposedly easy creatures. Any tips, website or videos which could help me in this matter?
    I'm only a little into the game - just done ding dong dell. I have to say it throws alot at you in a little amount of time. But starting to get my head around it - use your familiars- each one is alinged to an element use, element on element, this will make you at your most efficient. You move your self and familiars in real time, so you can dodge attacks simply by moving away from them.

collect the green orbs- health, and blue orbs - magic when you can, and use L1 to swap familars or go back to oliver - where you can use him to use spells such as cure. You shouldn't be dying too much, a couple of times you will get hit by a string of attacks, but you should be able to recover from that position.

Also when you level up - your health restores, i guess and helpfull tip when first starting out.

i have only died once - hickory dock just by getting in a little bit of a fiddle with stuff.

Read up on primers again and read up on your familiars abilities and that. hope that helps
  • Humperfunk 5 Feb 2013 00:35:10 2,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Despite my occasional differences with the battle system, I am really loving this. 22 hours in already, tempted to go for the platinum...

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• StarchildHypocrethes 5 Feb 2013 00:36:49 25,624 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a dragon! \o/
  • Restart 5 Feb 2013 08:07:51 4,710 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I downloaded two familiars for free on the PSN Store, but in the game you are just given tickets to claim them. Anyone know how you use the damn things?
  • Aretak 5 Feb 2013 08:10:40 10,351 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Restart wrote:
    I downloaded two familiars for free on the PSN Store, but in the game you are just given tickets to claim them. Anyone know how you use the damn things?
    You'll be able to redeem them once you've completed the Temple of Trials, which is about 7 or 8 hours in I'm told.
  • Darren 5 Feb 2013 08:46:56 8,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow, what an incredible, unbelieverable grand and brilliant game this is. I've been playing for as much as I could over the past four days and have clocked up 26 hours or so on it but every second has been an absolute joy and it is one of those games where I don't want it to ever end. I've just got the first stone for the Mornstar and I'm enjoying flying around on a dragon! The latter opens up the world, perhaps a bit too much as it is very easy to get distracted and want to go off exploring, which is dangerous because the creatures are usually very difficult to fight. Still, it is much easier to get away!

The story is far more captivating than just about any other JRPG I've played in recent memory and I fear missing a single line of dialogue which just highlights how good the writing is. The characters are all charming and likeable and well voice-acted and it goes without saying that the game is gloriously gorgeous at all times, which helps immerse you in the world. It's like a magnificent story book, somewhat reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland in that the world seems like it has been conjured from the imagination of a child, what with its fantasy setting and bizarre mix of pokemon style familiars, humans and speaking animals. Yes, some of it is cliched but the game knows it and couteracts with plenty of humour (Tikka Mahala, Babanas and so forth). The story has a few surprises and twists along the way but I've usually been able to guess them before the revelation. My only gripe about the story so far is where Oliver and co. went back in time and immediately accepted Swaine's claim that they'd gone into the past without questioning him why he knew. The story had been 100% coherent until then so it felt a bit jarring, like a bit had been cut out. Of course, it all makes sense later why Swaine immediately knew they'd gone into the past but there was no dialogue from Oliver, Mr. Drippy or Ester asking Swaine why he knew. Maybe it's just me though?

My only real criticism of the game this far in is that the presentation is otherwise so emaculate that the transition between spoken cutscenes to silent ones with text and back, often for a further short scene, is cruelly distracting. Early on in the game there were long periods of these scenes without any music too, which made me wonder if I had a faulty game. Given that western RPGs offer alternate choices but spoken dialogue for every single option, the lack of full voice-acted in a scripted, essentially linear game is a little disappointing. Personally, I'd have preferred everything except the Errands (since these are optional and require you to NPCS that are scattered around the towns and cities) to have been 100% voice-acted. Certainly all the main story cutscenes should have been. There's ample space on that BD after all.

For me, Ni no Kuni has easily been the best JRPG I've played on this generation of consoles and may well be the best one I've played to date on ANY platform; it's that good. 10/10 from me so far and I cannot imagine that will change as I head towards the ending because the experience has been so utterly enjoyable.

Edited by Darren at 08:50:58 05-02-2013

Edited by Darren at 08:52:07 05-02-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 5 Feb 2013 09:49:52 8,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't believe I wrote all that and failed to mention the combat!

Well, the battle system is fairly standard for a modern JPRG - you see enemies on a world map and can choose to battle or ignore them. There are also dungeons played from the more standard view (obviously!) but in these you can only save at specific points unlike on the World map. The weaker enemies run away from you, which makes traversing the world map when you have no means to quick travel (you get that much later on) a lot less frustrating, and the stronger, more aggressive ones run at you. Those are the ones you know won't be a push over. I like the concept of the Familiars; it means you have at least 400 different ones at your disposal once you capture them and it becomes addictive trying to collect 'em all (a quick switch to Ester and then two stabs of X are usually all that is needed once you see the love hearts). These can then be metamorphed twice to gain more powerful Familiars with the final stage offering a choice of two different types. The game auto-levels the party automatically and you only have control over their abilities and (Familiar's) tricks plus the equipment they use. Nothing surprising there.

What makes the battles so enjoyable to the extent that I would happily grind an area for an hour or two is that depending on how you fight, enemies drop orbs which replenish health and magic. You can then collect them. If you're doing really well (lots of Nice!'s) then enemies will drop Miracles and these are special powerful attacks. It's a lot of fun, only marred slightly by the repetitive music that plays. It takes a long time to get going though so early battles can get a little stale until a companion joins you. With three the battles are immense fun and I especially like using Swaine as he can shoot from a distance with a gun while the A.I. does a stellar job of managing the others.

I don't normally like the boss fights in these types of games, simply because the difficulty usually ramps right up and I find myself struggling (and dying frequently!). The boss fights in this game are a highlight though and I found myself eagerly awaiting the next one, particularly once I had more than Oliver in my party. You can swap between three Familiars and (so far) three party members (the game pauses at this point) which makes the battles varied and interesting. I tend to invariably use the same character and Familiar but I've taken a liking to Swaine for the bosses for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Also, the game occassionally switches back to the real world for Nightmare battles but these are just mini-boss fights but no less interesting to play.

There are so many other cool touches in this game such as the locket/heartbroekn system, the errands and bounty hunts, which all make the game feel nice and big. Whenever I fancy a break from the main quest, I try and do as many errands and bounty hunts as possible as the rewards are quite nice. They aren't essential to completing the game but they do help a little (speeding up movement, more orbs dropped during battles, extra experience, and so on) plus help give the world you're exploring a little more "personality".

Finally, the game is so big that it takes at least a dozen hours to really get going and teach you all that there is to know about the battle system and such. You can turn off the map hints in the options but unfortunately you cannot stop Mr. Drippy from condescendingly telling you how to solve every puzzle.

Edited by Darren at 12:37:24 05-02-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• StarchildHypocrethes 5 Feb 2013 10:14:24 25,624 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Step away from the keyboard.
  • Restart 5 Feb 2013 12:03:11 4,710 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Restart wrote:
    You'll be able to redeem them once you've completed the Temple of Trials, which is about 7 or 8 hours in I'm told.
    I did that ages ago, in fact, I downloaded the familiars after I finished it.

Anyone know if I can go back there and claim them? Or is it too late?
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2013 12:18:25 16,935 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    I'm starting to enjoy the game more as it progresses now but the combat is still a bone of contention, especially concerning the massive difficulty spikes.

Despite what some reviews have said I still find myself having to grind as well as do side missions and bounty hunts.

Just got the ship and thought ooh lovely, a new location to visit, there'll be a cut scene and a town to explore. How wrong I was, the entire party wiped out in under 60 seconds by the surprise appearance of boss fight Shadar.

*sigh*
    That is exactly where I gave up last night.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Oridan 5 Feb 2013 12:29:21 4 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm a bit further in, as I've just come to the town after the boss Goodfella spoke of. This place is hilarious! Or rather, it's ...tidy.
  • Darren 5 Feb 2013 12:42:53 8,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Goodfella wrote:
    I'm starting to enjoy the game more as it progresses now but the combat is still a bone of contention, especially concerning the massive difficulty spikes.

Despite what some reviews have said I still find myself having to grind as well as do side missions and bounty hunts.

Just got the ship and thought ooh lovely, a new location to visit, there'll be a cut scene and a town to explore. How wrong I was, the entire party wiped out in under 60 seconds by the surprise appearance of boss fight Shadar.

*sigh*
    That is exactly where I gave up last night.
    Don't give up! There is an Easy difficulty you can drop down to and I wouldn't feel ashamed using it.

By the way, you're not meant to defeat Shadar at that point as the battle ends after a certain point. Just use Swaine to attack from and keep your distance. Defend as much as possible. I died the first time but succeeded on the retry.

I'm finding the difficulty fine although I have died at least four times in the 26 hours I've been playing. I do explore extensively though which means I am effectively grinding. Oliver and Esther are at level 37 at the point where I'm at (after defeating the first stone guardian) and as long as I don't go where I'm not supposed to (yet, not easy when you have a you-know-what) then I'm finding the battles just right; challenging enough to not get boring but not too easy that I don't get decent XP for the battles.

Edited by Darren at 12:45:20 05-02-2013

• Darren 5 Feb 2013 12:47:56 8,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I have a dragon! \o/
    Liberating isn't it? Shame about the fact that the engine strains a little while using it. Up until I got that I'd not seen any screen tearing, or none that I'd noticed.

• Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2013 12:52:28 16,935 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Goodfella I have a similar issue. The only suggestion I have is to pick up some of the phoenix feathers to revive your party.

What I found interesting in that battle is even when I defended effectively I basically got no drops of anything useful. Compare that to the fight against the genie and it is quite clear that this particular fight is supposed to be difficult. I'm not sure what the solution is, when I get passed it I'll let you know. You can spam with spells from far away, so in theory one could just stock up on coffee and keep spamming away with spells.

• Darren 5 Feb 2013 12:53:07 8,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oridan wrote:
    I'm a bit further in, as I've just come to the town after the boss Goodfella spoke of. This place is hilarious! Or rather, it's ...tidy.
    Visually, Fairyground is a stunner but I felt it leaned a bit too much towards silliness for my tastes (and, yeah, I realise that the other places are not exactly serious either). But then given the child-like wonder of this fantasy world Mr Drippy comes from, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find by the end of the game that Oliver dreamt everything up. It certainly has that Alice in Wonderland kind of vibe to it.

• Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2013 12:55:42 16,935 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    Don't give up! There is an Easy difficulty you can drop down to and I wouldn't feel ashamed using it.

By the way, you're not meant to defeat Shadar at that point as the battle ends after a certain point. Just use Swaine to attack from and keep your distance. Defend as much as possible. I died the first time but succeeded on the retry.
    When I say give up, I just mean I didn't insta-restart and instead watched telly, I'm not giving up on the game. I hate putting things down to easy. I'm certainly not going to do that, I just need to be a bit better at the game. I just find the way it goes about dropping or not dropping things a bit annoying, in the volcano fight drippy didn't put out a single orb, yet when I don't need him to he chucks that shit all over the place.

• Darren 5 Feb 2013 12:56:41 8,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    @Goodfella I have a similar issue. The only suggestion I have is to pick up some of the phoenix feathers to revive your party.

What I found interesting in that battle is even when I defended effectively I basically got no drops of anything useful. Compare that to the fight against the genie and it is quite clear that this particular fight is supposed to be difficult. I'm not sure what the solution is, when I get passed it I'll let you know. You can spam with spells from far away, so in theory one could just stock up on coffee and keep spamming away with spells.
    I'd recommend letting the A.I. control Oliver (tank) and Esther (healing) with you controlling Swaine. He can shoot from a distance with his gun without using magic and therefore can keep his distance, which comes in handy if you need to give the party a hand with healing and whatnot. I always use Swaine for boss fights and have found many of them much easier as the boss then focuses mostly on Oliver and Esther while you can do damage to them from behind (which is usually where their weak spots are). You can also mop up green and blue orbs plus pick up the miracle ones too.

Edited by Darren at 12:58:51 05-02-2013

• Humperfunk 5 Feb 2013 12:59:05 2,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Goodfella That's the exact boss fight I was moaning about last night with your party being completely useless. Fuck knows how I got through it with just Oliver.

You get the all defend command after that though....which actually has proven to be pretty much useless so far - used it in the next boss fight five times on the same "big" attack, three times it ignored it, even to the point that I had Oliver defend independently and he still got wiped out.

It really is a testament to how good the rest of the game is that despite the battle system, I still consider this to be the best console JRPG I've played in years.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2013 12:59:46 16,935 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good advice, cheers, I'll try that.

• Darren 5 Feb 2013 13:08:25 8,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep - Mr. Drippy has a useful life-saving special, which you get later on, which has saved me from a scrape or two. Also, you can increase the number of orb drops by completing errands and bounty hunts to get the merits needed to 'purchase' that bonus.

And I thought it was the enemies that dropped blue and green orbs, as well as miracles, whenever you pull of a Nice! move? I didn't realise it was Mr. Drippy dropping them.

• Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2013 13:26:29 16,935 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    @Mr_Sleep - Mr. Drippy has a useful life-saving special, which you get later on, which has saved me from a scrape or two. Also, you can increase the number of orb drops by completing errands and bounty hunts to get the merits needed to 'purchase' that bonus.

And I thought it was the enemies that dropped blue and green orbs, as well as miracles, whenever you pull of a Nice! move? I didn't realise it was Mr. Drippy dropping them.
    I have already got that bonus. It is the enemies that drop them after you get a nice but Drippy will throw them out too, sometimes with wanton abandon but never when it's useful.

In the boss fight I would get one small blue orb after successfully defending and getting a 'Nice!'. That small blue orb isn't even enough MP to heal.

• PrivateFloyd 5 Feb 2013 15:28:39 4,117 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So,

Does anyone know where I might pick a copy of this up?

Goat is hungry.....

• DaM 5 Feb 2013 16:09:00 12,991 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    So,

Does anyone know where I might pick a copy of this up?
    Shopto reckon they'll have some in tomorrow.

I find it hard to understand how they are finding it so hard to supply these. It must have been obvious there was a level of interest in it following its Japanese release, and it has been scoring highly in reviews.

And how hard can it be to get a few 1000 pressed?
  • PrivateFloyd 5 Feb 2013 16:18:28 4,117 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DaM

Cheers bud Il keep an eye out.

Goat is hungry.....

• Progguitarist 5 Feb 2013 16:22:47 10,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How big is the file on PSN?
  • Page

of 34 First / Last