The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Page 79

• Page

of 85 First / Last

• JoeGBallad 22 Aug 2012 17:27:28 388 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rajin Here's a wee tip to save yourself some trouble. To avoid having to centre the remote too often, just remember that the remote takes whatever position it is in at the time you bring out an 'aim' item as neutral. For example, point your remote to where is naturally the 'centre' for you before bringing out the bow, and you won't have to press down on the d-pad anymore.

A lot of people moan about having to re-centre all the time, but the truth is that it's a very clever system nintendo used.

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• Gaol 22 Aug 2012 18:46:02 2,435 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JoeGBallad wrote:
    @Rajin Here's a wee tip to save yourself some trouble. To avoid having to centre the remote too often, just remember that the remote takes whatever position it is in at the time you bring out an 'aim' item as neutral. For example, point your remote to where is naturally the 'centre' for you before bringing out the bow, and you won't have to press down on the d-pad anymore.

A lot of people moan about having to re-centre all the time, but the truth is that it's a very clever system nintendo used.
    No, it'll still lose track over time, as motion plus during SS is reliant on the gyroscopes for keeping track of the position; rather than the infrareds. These aren't 100% accurate over time.

Playstation Move has the same problem (in fact a much worse problem, as that's the only option that hardware has).
  • ZuluHero 10 Jan 2013 23:16:08 4,321 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I haven't read the entire thread so sorry if this has been posters before but did you know that the goddess song played backwards is zeldas lullaby?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FKgljOPCbso

They always said it was a song of great importance!
  • mikew1985 10 Jan 2013 23:21:13 13,044 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow they weren't even bothered to come up with something new!

Amazing.
  • Tekkirai 18 Feb 2013 21:51:44 104 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So after months of putting it on hold, I've gone back to Skyward Sword to finally play it fully.

I have to say, I absolutely hate the crap out of it. Now, mind you, I'm a huge Zelda fan. Been playing it since the NES days. But I saw it all go wrong since the Wind Waker to be honest (Yes I don't like the Wind Waker all that much). And SS is definitely an evolution in the wrong direction imo.

First of all, the motion controls. My god...The motion controls. You need to be veeeeeery precise when making strikes with your sword, or guiding certain weapons, or flying the bird, but the thing just really doesn't read moves accurate or quick enough. The constant recalibrating isn't the worst thing, but my god.

Then there's the art style. I've never seen such hideous character designs. Outside Link looking like Michael Jackson in his worst days, there's this thing....this...Groose, I'm pretty sure I went blind in one eye looking at this thing. It's like the One Piece of video games overall, except One Piece oozes personality, whereas in this game...They don't have a personality outside just pure childishness. If this had been done in WW style with a young Link, it would have been much more believable as far as I'm concerned.

Furthermore, the overworld. How boring can you possibly make it? This isn't like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past, or even the first Zeldas where when you ventured outside for the first time it made you want to explore it all, this just empty air with an island here and there.

Which leads me to this, everything, EVERYTHING is a friggin puzzle in this game. Yes, I know, Zelda was always big on puzzles. But not like this, this is so friggin tiresome. Even the fucking BOSS DOOR IS A PUZZLE and not exactly an interesting one or one that actually makes you THINK. Every single enemy is a puzzle, outside what...the bats? There's just no rest moments, there's nothing outside of the puzzles. It really is just a puzzle game, not an adventure. And every single thing revolves around the Wii remote gimmick, not on actual gameplay improvements or innovations.

There was always much more to Zelda than just puzzles, it just frustrates me to no end to see them taking this direction and they'll probably never turn back. This seriously stomped me off of Nintendo in general.

....Alright, now I feel better.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 18 Feb 2013 22:00:00 7,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    *Brofist*

Check the OP :cool:
  • ecu 18 Feb 2013 22:17:42 77,324 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not sure why this game was so well received. Nothing about it really stands out in any way, it feels like an average Zelda game ruined by the controls.

Graphically and artistically it's a bit of a dog, Wind Waker was one of the first cel-shaded games and it looked fantastic, and other games such as Okami have used a unique visual style to great effect. This just fails completely for me, it's very bland and forgettable.

The Wiimote stuff is just a total pain in the arse tbh. I spent half my time calibrating the damn thing, and even when it worked it was frustrating most of the time. I got so sick of flying that stupid beetle around. It's one of the only Zelda games I've never finished, if they ever re-release it with normal controller support then I'll get through it.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 18 Feb 2013 22:21:41 7,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah that was my problem. I just found all the waving around such a chore. I resented doing and you had to do it all the time, so I did it half-arsed, which didn't work, which annoyed my further. I also hated the art, the characters, the lack of an overworld. The shit people gave twilight princess and the praise this game got - it makes me sick.
  • mikew1985 18 Feb 2013 22:45:40 13,044 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep, couldn't agree more, the controls, while occasionally not annoying, on the whole were just far too inaccurate. Waggle is shit for proper games and I've said it countless times in this very thread but the fact that Nintendo couldn't even get it right, means I hold very little hope that anyone can.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Feb 2013 23:07:06 11,930 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I'm not sure why this game was so well received. Nothing about it really stands out in any way, it feels like an average Zelda game ruined by the controls.

Graphically and artistically it's a bit of a dog, Wind Waker was one of the first cel-shaded games and it looked fantastic, and other games such as Okami have used a unique visual style to great effect. This just fails completely for me, it's very bland and forgettable.

The Wiimote stuff is just a total pain in the arse tbh. I spent half my time calibrating the damn thing, and even when it worked it was frustrating most of the time. I got so sick of flying that stupid beetle around. It's one of the only Zelda games I've never finished, if they ever re-release it with normal controller support then I'll get through it.
    There's tons of things wrong with this game but IMO the visuals aren;t one of them, it's gorgeous and would look incredible with more modern hardware.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• ecu 18 Feb 2013 23:08:07 77,324 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Wiimote in general is just a bit shit for games. It quite clearly a worse controller than a joypad for me, I think history will look back on it in that way. Nobody anywhere is excited about using a Wiimote anymore, the novelty of it died years ago, even for tennis and golf games. I think people will look back on it as a bit of a late-00's fad. And yes I would go as far as calling the whole thing a fad. I know Wii U supports Wiimotes, but nobody talks about using them. I'll be interested to see if Sony try to keep Move alive with the PS4.

Waggle only exists because there's a very limited number of things you can do with a device such as the Wiimote. Its best feature is the pointer, but the pointer is useless in the majority of games types. It's similar to a computer mouse. You have a very limited number of genres that a KB&M excels in - FPS, TPS, RTS, maybe a couple more. It's the same with the Wiimote pointer, and if your game isn't suitable to pointing then you have to use the controller in a different way, and that next logical step is waggle. Waggle is basically an extra button.
  • Tekkirai 18 Feb 2013 23:12:16 104 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Very happy to see I'm not alone here, thanks OP :p

But yes, the praise for this game, I don't get it either. Like, if you see the review on Gamtrailers for instance, there's a huge amount of nagging in it, and yet it still gets a 9+ score. I think they were just terrified of the rage it would induce or of Nintendo themselves perhaps, since I've heard they're a bit of a bully at times to the media.

But at any rate, I have to say I don't like TP all that much either, the map was big, but there was little to do in it and it wasn't very memorable overall Character designs were also pretty horrible there, see: http://tinyurl.com/a5sg7wp and http://tinyurl.com/bd92tsv

Though it's still much better than SS, if only just for the controls. It's sad to see motion controls have gone this way, it was actually a pretty exciting prospect when they showed off the Wii for the first time, but somehow, they just can't make it work. Not on the Wii, not on the Kinect, not on the PS Move. And I have great fears for the next Zelda on Wii U where they apparently want to stray away from the singleplayer formula.

Edited by Tekkirai at 23:14:19 18-02-2013
  • disusedgenius 18 Feb 2013 23:15:58 5,625 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    similar to a computer mouse. You have a very limited number of genres that a KB&M excels in - FPS, TPS, RTS, maybe a couple more.
    If by 'a couple more' you mean 'every genre except driving and platformers' then sure.

Edit: ok, I'll give you beat em ups as well

Edited by disusedgenius at 23:18:12 18-02-2013
  • ecu 18 Feb 2013 23:24:47 77,324 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    similar to a computer mouse. You have a very limited number of genres that a KB&M excels in - FPS, TPS, RTS, maybe a couple more.
    If by 'a couple more' you mean 'every genre except driving and platformers' then sure.

Edit: ok, I'll give you beat em ups as well
    It's also limited in stuff like Devil May Cry, and sandbox games(GTA and the like), and action/adventure. Though for the ones it's good for, there's nothing better.
  • Youthist 18 Feb 2013 23:49:47 10,083 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can hate it, but its one of probably only 6 or 7 games per year across all formats worth playing these days. And we need those 6 or 7. Personally I thought the controls were fine and I loved the atmosphere. But there were issues here and there. Better than TP though. But TP was good too.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Kay 19 Feb 2013 00:38:31 17,971 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I liked that everything was a puzzle. That and the combat made things much more involved, compared to how ridiculously easy WW and TP were.

Sure, no one can deny it had its faults, but I thought it was certainly better than TP.
  • Raiko101 19 Feb 2013 00:39:26 6,719 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still haven't touched this, due to fatigue with the series (Though I did play Link's Awakening last year and loved it just as much as ever). How do the motion controls compare to Zelda: Battle Quest?

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Tekkirai 19 Feb 2013 00:56:57 104 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Raiko101 I don't have a Wii U, but from what I've heard, the Battle Quest game in Nintendo Land actually reads your motions a lot more accurately than in Skyward Sword. Perhaps it's something to do with the processing power of the Wii U in how fast it can read in the motions or something.
  • ecu 19 Feb 2013 01:02:17 77,324 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No idea about Battle Quest but if you have Zelda fatigue, I don't recommend Skyward Sword.
  • mikew1985 4 Mar 2013 11:02:06 13,044 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Waggle tastic post there Higgins. Just because you enjoy awful waggle based crap doesn't mean the rest of us are automatically trolls. Well done on a valiant attempt to pre empt any criticism though

6/10 -  too much emphasis on waggle
  • Derblington 4 Mar 2013 11:09:28 22,300 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    higgins78 wrote:
    Few if any games revolve around a "waggle" of the Wii Remote to play the game in question. Mario Galaxy requires a quick shake of the Wii Remote in order to spin...
    Waggle
    Verb: Move or cause to move with short quick movements from side to side or up and down.
    Synonyms
    verb. wag - shake - swing - wave - wiggle - sway - wobble

Edited by Derblington at 11:23:36 04-03-2013
  • Blaketown 4 Mar 2013 11:09:55 4,955 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mario Galaxy requires a quick shake of the Wii Remote in order to spin, something which works just as well as pressing a button and offers no resistance.
    It obviously doesn't work as well as a button.

In fact both my Wii Remote have started to become less responsive and so when doing some of the Purple Coin Levels the fact that sometimes a waggle (sorry "quick shake") doesn't register every so often means that the 100+ perfect consecutive jump and landings you have to perform is literally impossible to do.

Means I can't play MG2 which considering I have never had a button fail on me in 30 years of gaming and how expensive the wagglesticks are to replace is pretty poor.

/trolling

Brap, brap, old chap.

• mikew1985 4 Mar 2013 11:18:11 13,044 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well done chaps, well done :)
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Mar 2013 11:24:00 11,930 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    higgins78 wrote:
    Firstly, anybody who refers to the trolls term "waggle" over this entire thread is clearly a troll themselves. Few if any games revolve around a "waggle" of the Wii Remote to play the game in question. Mario Galaxy requires a quick shake of the Wii Remote in order to spin, something which works just as well as pressing a button and offers no resistance. The majority of games require the Wii Remote to be pointed/aimed and swiped. As for Skyward Sword.

It is not my favorite Zelda title, nor by any means the worst. I put it easily ahead of Twilight Princess which for me was the first Zelda game in a long while that had Nintendo resting on its laurels. Still a mighty fine game (Twilight Princess) but not what I have come to expect under the heading of Zelda. My first play-through of Skyward Sword - until completion - had me encountering none of the issues which other appear to have mentioned concerning the Motion Controls.

I believe it is the first game in existence which uses Motion Controls at its core for an adventure which lasts somewhere between - in my experience - 35-40 hours. For my money it worked seamlessly 99.9% of the time, and for the 0.1% it didn't, well, that was NEVER game breaking. I personally place it somewhere in the middle of all the Zelda games I have had the pleasure of playing, and as a game distancing itself from that universe, easily in the top 5 games I have played this generation.
    Does the bomb bowling work 99.9% of the time?
    Hoestly please.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• javvyman 4 Mar 2013 11:24:29 718 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Come on guys, Higgins78 is right, you all just have puny arms from only using your thumbs to game all your lives...
    Clearly motion is the future, Zelda did it! ;)

In seriousness though, I stopped playing this game for two reasons.

1: The constant prompts of text from Fi/finding something i'd already found
    2: The motion controls, though very good and in ways, revolutionary, were just tiring.

It got to the point where I was actively discouraging myself from playing because I couldn't be arsed to wave my hands around for the 2-3 hours at a time I usually spend playing a Zelda game.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 11:34:18
    This isn't the waggle based crap discussion thread. Admittedly it's easy to confuse the two.
  • Page

of 85 First / Last