• Page

of 134 First / Last

• crwoody 23 Aug 2013 07:27:09 2,613 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    crwoody wrote:
    @JiveHound

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what pharmaceutical company is promoting vaping? As I'm not sure there is one.

I wasn't stating they were.
    Apologies, my beer eyes read you wrong :)
  • gamingdave 23 Aug 2013 11:41:32 4,235 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Just to totally do the whole annoying reformed smoker thing, but isn't it easier to knock it all on the head completely?
    No, it's far far easier to substitute cigs for ecigs, than to give up the physical and psychological dependency. If you get a decent starter setup the effect is so like smoking most smokers should adapt very quickly. I had tried and failed to stop smoking several times through either just will power or NRT.

Each time I stopped I did it because I thought I should, but not really because deep down I wanted too, I still enjoyed smoking. Each time I got a few months in and then the fags crept back in. I've been 18 months off the fags now thanks to ecigs. There are also a lot of smokers who simply don't want to stop, if they tried a decent ecig and experienced first hand how good they were then these people could switch with massive health and financial benefits that nothing else will help them do.

alexm wrote:
    Apologies for asking a question I'm sure has been asked an awful lot already but is vaping 100% fine your health.
    100% fine is an unknown at this point, but the studies done at the moment suggest orders of magnitude lower risk than cigarettes. It is thought they at worst have 1% of the damaging effect of a tobacco cigarette.

Whilst we obviously don't have long term research to look at directly, we do have a lot of research of the individual ingredients and how the body reacts to them. More is needed, but it's a very positive so far, and only an idiot (or someone with vested interests in the tobacco or pharma industries) would try and argue they were anywhere near as dangerous as traditional cigarettes.

JiveHound wrote:
    Has anyone actually managed to quit with these things? Everyone I know that has tried - and there's been quite a few - is back on normal fags within a couple of weeks.

I'm not being critical of these e-cigarettes per se but I don't think people are actually buying them with any sort of plan, all other techniques at least have some sort of method.
    It depends on what you mean by quit. I no longer smoke traditional cigarettes as a direct result of having substituted them for ecigs. Those who are back on the fags within a couple of weeks I expect have tried the bottom end of the market, the disposables bought in supermarkets/garages and the like. You do need to invest a little more (but only the price of a tow or three packs of fags) to get a kit on a par with the impact of smoking.

Do I have a plan? Yes, to keep on vaping and never go back to smoking. Nicotine in the dosages received from an ecig are for most people harmless. I say most as it does slightly increase blood pressure and heart rate, so some with an underlying health condition would best avoid, but then they would also best avoid caffeine.

But it is pleasurable (like caffeine) and it can also have some benefits in memory and aiding focusing, and is showing promising as a potential for the help in treating alzheimer's. I still inhale nicotine daily, but now it is in a vapour thought to have no (or exceedingly low) health risks as opposed to a smoke known to have devastating ones, so why should I stop?

Worth pointing out as well that out of the other methods currently available, NRT has a success rate of less than 7%. It's a horrendously low percentage but it suits the pharmaceuticals fine, as they get to sell it time after time, and if it doesn't work, they get to sell the (very expensive) drugs to treat the results of smoking to the same patient down the line.

RightBean wrote:
    I am concerned about some aspects of e-cigarettes though, like the inhalation of silica fibres, and the metals used in the atomiser.. This is mostly cheap chinese shit don't forget. While you can use safe metals, there is no alternative to the silica or fibreglass wick yet.
    Just because its cheap and Chinese doesn't mean its shit. You don't have to use silica/fibreglass either, you can use metal mesh, cotton or ceramics too. Saying that, the type of silica used is not crystalline, and therefore does not carry the associated health risks.

RightBean wrote:
    Still it is probably better than smoking, but who knows, we will find out in 10/15 years.
    There are no carcinogens, there is no tar (as nothing is burned). As I said before, from what we know today we can say it is almost definitely better than smoking. Of course as studies progress we may find a hidden danger, but due to the simplistic make-up of the liquid (Nicotine, flavour and then either PG, VG or a combination) and the studies that have been done in the past on those, compared to the thousands of chemicals in a tobacco cigarette (some of which still unidentified), it is highly unlikely that they could ever be as harmful. You are right though, we don't know for sure, and over time more will become clear.

If you want to do some more reading on the studies that have been taken, and the current state of the market then this blog is a great start: http://www.clivebates.com/

Edited by gamingdave at 11:43:24 23-08-2013
  • crwoody 23 Aug 2013 12:12:24 2,613 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @gamingdave

Nicely put.

And on another note, does anyone want ~8ml of T-Juice's Ice Queen?
    I don't like tobacco flavors so I will never use this.
    Free to a good home. :)
  • mal 5 Sep 2013 02:24:05 22,572 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You tried low resistance atomisers and the likes? It's not just about the liquid, I gather.

Edit: Random deleted account, it seems.

Edited by mal at 17:09:30 05-09-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• wayneh 5 Sep 2013 09:10:17 2,334 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So looking back through the thread @buggrit recommends the Genesis as an easy no fuss e-cig www.gecigarette.co.uk/genesis-mini-electronic-cigarette
    I'm looking at the 510 but is it worth getting over a 10 motives which I get get from Tescos?

Edited by wayneh at 09:13:18 05-09-2013

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• Zomoniac 5 Sep 2013 16:48:06 7,831 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    510 is the most common, I'd stick with that. I've fallen out with my Lavatube thingy lately which is handy since I arrived in France a few days ago and had forgotten any spare atties, was able to easily find a shop selling 510 clearomisers to stick on my Vision Spinner. Would've had to buy a whole new setup was I not using a standard 510 fit.
  • buggrit 9 Sep 2013 03:41:08 5,179 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wayneh wrote:
    So looking back through the thread @buggrit recommends the Genesis as an easy no fuss e-cig www.gecigarette.co.uk/genesis-mini-electronic-cigarette
    I'm looking at the 510 but is it worth getting over a 10 motives which I get get from Tescos?
    No, that's most definitely not what I'm talking about. (Hi all, btw - not been about much of late!)
    When I refer to a Genisis I mean the type of rebuildable atomiser that I mainly use, which uses steel mesh for the wick and is most certainly not 'no-fuss' :D
  • glo 9 Oct 2013 11:27:57 3,425 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hi all,

Apologies if these questions have been asked before but 56 pages is a lot to read through...

Been using VIP e-cigs with the cartomisers for over a year now and thinking about switching the an e-liquid based e-cig as it seems to be both cheaper and better from what I have read here and elsewhere.

Was thinking about getting an EGO CE4 starter kit from liberty flights. Is this a good choice? They seem a little large compared to the more cigarette-like VIPs. Is it still suitable (i.e. not too bulky and no leaking) to carry around in your pocket?

Any recommendations on e-liquid flavours to go with it? and finally, is it worth going for the double starter pack with two sets of batteries and clearomisers or is the single pack good enough?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • maxb 9 Oct 2013 11:50:19 161 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @glo
    The ego ce4 kit isnt a bad place to start although the ce4's do tend to leak a bit. If you're looking for something cheap clearomizer wise try something like a evod as they tend not to leak but as the ce4's are disposable anyway so they'll do to get started on and as for the double kit a spare battery is always handy.
  • Jeepers 9 Oct 2013 11:56:26 13,181 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's exactly what Deebs recommended I get and it's been perfect so far. A spare battery and cartomizer is probably a good idea. I got the (clear liquid) menthol 1.8 and have since moved to the 1.2. I also tried another menthol (brown in colour) that I hated - a nasty sweet taste but ymmv :)

3 weeks with no cigs now.
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Oct 2013 12:13:04 17,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think it's a good choice to start with the EGO CE4 starter kit, it is fairly ergonomic and lightweight, it feels about the weight of a heavy-duty pen.

Every e cigarette I've tried leaks a bit now and again. Although the ones that come in the pack above don't leak very much at all. It's best to make sure you unscrew the battery and clearomiser if you're carrying it in your pocket.

Flavours vary a lot, I usually recommend green tea and energy drink but coffee and fruit flavours can be good as well, just buy a whole bunch of the smallest size bottles and see what suits. Stay away from mint and peanut butter though :-)

I'd stick with the one pack and then order some other bits and pieces once you're used to what you've got. Although having a spare battery is a must imo.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Zomoniac 9 Oct 2013 12:18:49 7,831 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's wrong with mint? the 2.4 mint VG from LF is my universal go to.
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Oct 2013 12:29:51 17,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    What's wrong with mint? the 2.4 mint VG from LF is my universal go to.
    Hah, I fucking hated it and it made every subsequent liquid taste slightly of mint, which was unpleasant. Each to their own though, I like the sweet vapes but not everyone does. That is a nice thing about this e-cigarette business in that you can tailor it as you like.

You are a factory of sadness.

• glo 9 Oct 2013 14:13:31 3,425 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers for the tips. I will get one ordered. Cola or cherry flavours sounds interesting (but also potentially a bit too sweet), anyone tried either of these?

EDIT: Just noticed a whisky flavour too. do enjoy my whisky but not sure about a e-cig version. anyone tried it?

Edited by glo at 14:16:36 09-10-2013
  • Zomoniac 9 Oct 2013 14:19:36 7,831 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cola's alright, it's more cola bottle than Coke though. Cherry I found a bit on the sharp and harsh side. Tasted like a cherry-flavoured Jolly Rancher. The nicest one I've ever had was a few weeks ago, found a little e-cig shop in Montpellier, picked up some blackcurrant stuff and it was heaven, like vaping Ribena. Can't find any on these shores though :(
  • buggrit 15 Oct 2013 21:25:48 5,179 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zom, try hjuice.co.uk for an excellent blackcurrant!
  • Zomoniac 21 Oct 2013 15:56:06 7,831 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @buggrit you are my new hero.

Do you know what happened to Grant? Site went down for maintenance ages ago but ever since it came back up it's just shown as out of stock for everything for me. It's been over six months now since there's been any supply. I need my custard damnit!
  • fiery_jackass 21 Oct 2013 16:20:29 476 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Do you know what happened to Grant? Site went down for maintenance ages ago but ever since it came back up it's just shown as out of stock for everything for me. It's been over six months now since there's been any supply. I need my custard damnit!
    he was on holiday for ages and I think the backlog has got him sweating. It's either that or he's got some trouble with Los Pollos Hermanos etc

I am out of GVC, this makes me unhappy.

on another note, I definitely need a new shiny thing to play with. The Provari/Kayfun set-up is a joy but it's been months dammit. Ideally I'd like a new Provari model with some sort of DNA20-style high watt output, plus something new and exciting on the atomizer front.
  • gamingdave 22 Oct 2013 11:18:32 4,235 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Get a semovar, it'll go lovely with the Kayfun and give you some VW to play with. Hardly touched my Provari since I got mine.

I still want the Kir Fanis VW pipe, but it aint cheap.
  • Psychotext 22 Oct 2013 12:30:20 54,224 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love it. I've been away from these things for so long now that those two last posts could be talking about pretty much anything as far as I'm concerned. :D
  • Zomoniac 22 Oct 2013 12:37:12 7,831 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I miss my old SDmk2 and dripping. Just simple and effective. Then it broke, and now they don't make them. Swish as all these tank systems are, all the ones I've used have been unreliable, short-lasting, prone to leaks and far more expensive than the plain old 3 901s. Right now I've got a Torpedo VVV/Lavatube thing and a eVision spinner with standard 510 cartomisers and switch every couple of weeks when whichever one I'm currently using starts annoying me.
  • fiery_jackass 22 Oct 2013 12:52:08 476 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    Get a semovar, it'll go lovely with the Kayfun and give you some VW to play with.
    yeah I looked at the Semovar, looks lovely. Not sure that there's enough differentiation to the Provari to justify spunking that amount of cash. It does look lovely though hmmmmmmmmmmm

@zomoniac
    the Kayfun is just fantastic, in my experience. Consistent, full of flavour and pretty easy to set up. The only leaks I've had have been down to one of my favourite juices (Dawn of Truth) having a weird expansion effect on the top O ring. If I stick to any of the others there are no issues.

would like them to figure out a pyrex section for it though, the full metal look nicely captures "exotic sex toy chic" but makes for irritation when filling up with juices that'd frig up the makrolon tank
  • buggrit 23 Oct 2013 08:21:55 5,179 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Zomoniac He's back, as it goes - been on holiday for ages! Will ask him how long it's likely to be for stock :)
  • buggrit 23 Oct 2013 08:25:09 5,179 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    Get a semovar, it'll go lovely with the Kayfun and give you some VW to play with. Hardly touched my Provari since I got mine.

I still want the Kir Fanis VW pipe, but it aint cheap.
    I'd be more tempted to go for one of the DNA20 tube mods than a Semovar, too many issues with them being reported.
    There is this too: http://www.shop.greek-mods.com/index.php?cat=c52_Dicodes-Dicodes.html
    Looks like the same chip as in the Orion V3, which is an excellent hybrid and actually regulates better than any DNA20 device at lower resistances and still has the 20W output ability.
  • MrE26 25 Oct 2013 12:23:19 1,932 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Having dabbled with a VIP e-cig a few months back & finding that it really didn't do much for me, i bought a tank system (Ego CE5?) from them a week ago & it's been a revelation for me. I genuinely prefer it to smoking, & i was on 20-30 a day.

Haven't pick up a cigarette since i started using it & i've had no temptation at all to do so. My nose is dry as fuck though, does this calm down as you get used to it?
  • Zomoniac 25 Oct 2013 12:35:14 7,831 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just exhale through your mouth! Worked for me.
  • crwoody 25 Oct 2013 12:35:25 2,613 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MrE26

The ego is the battery and the CE5 the tank bit on top. That's what I started with and I still think they are bloody great.

I don't get a dry nose, but do get a dry throat. I find myself drinking lots of water. (Another plus for e-cigs!)

One of my problems I do have is money, I keep spending it on new stuff. Today I've spent a small fortune of mixing equipment as I fancy making my own, and I'm waiting on another two parcels with 2 mech mods and dripping tanks.

At least I don't smoke anymore. :)
  • MrE26 25 Oct 2013 12:56:30 1,932 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @crwoody yeah, I'm gonna dabble with some flavoured stuff once payday comes around, I'm using plain old menthol at the minute. The 8 a day I'm saving by not smoking gives me a fair bit to play with!
  • Page

of 134 First / Last