Socom 4 Page 3

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• HisDudness 4 Mar 2011 17:59:34 923 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    New SOCOM 4 details here:

Bomb squad mode and beta details

Beta schedule is a bit convoluted, but there will eventually be an open phase where anyone can download from the PSN Store, and have about a week to try before you buy!

I have high hopes for this title, and it will be great to be able to try it out.
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Mar 2011 20:47:40 5,769 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks a bit somewhere-between-last-and-this-gen according to this website. Not good, but M.A.G. still rocks today, mainly because solid gameplay and nice transitory effects adding up to a great atmosphere so fingers still crossed.
  • QotSAfan 6 Mar 2011 21:15:05 1,550 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheDriffter wrote:
    Thats like saying Rockstar giving the devs that made Naughty Bear make GTA V.
    Shit, that would be terrible. It might make GTA fun again.
  • TheHammerite 6 Mar 2011 21:27:18 1,512 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    QotSAfan wrote:
    TheDriffter wrote:
    Thats like saying Rockstar giving the devs that made Naughty Bear make GTA V.
    Shit, that would be terrible. It might make GTA fun again.

Talking a load of shite
  • oldschoolsoviet 23 Mar 2011 20:50:10 5,418 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, courtesy of my FL, all the Plus subscribers have been caning the beta, a few non-Plus have a different version (of the same beta I imagine) and nobody's been posting impressions. Good or bad ?

Last SP vid I saw looked like Uncharted:SOCOM edition, and I wept. No sign of 1st-person FOV, and it seemed a helluva lot more linear, with some dreaded HOO-RAH for good measure. I need information, dammit.
  • Progguitarist 23 Mar 2011 21:12:13 10,317 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First impressions are good. It looks nice and ticks all the right boxes. Need to play more.
  • King_Edward 23 Mar 2011 21:34:08 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    So, courtesy of my FL, all the Plus subscribers have been caning the beta, a few non-Plus have a different version (of the same beta I imagine) and nobody's been posting impressions. Good or bad ?

Last SP vid I saw looked like Uncharted:SOCOM edition, and I wept. No sign of 1st-person FOV, and it seemed a helluva lot more linear, with some dreaded HOO-RAH for good measure. I need information, dammit.
    That seems to be the direction Sony have taken with all their franchises. Infamous, Killzone and now Socom all seem to have taken a hefty dose of Hollywood.
  • Deleted user 23 March 2011 22:24:26
    As much as I normally defend Sony with these things, the SOCOM download is utterly fucked up. Download a 781mb only to find there's a 37mb update needed immediately. Once you've done all that, the client loads up only to reveal... a mandatory 1.5gb update. And the 1.5gb one is only accessible from within the client, meaning you can't set it to download in the background!
  • infoxicated 24 Mar 2011 11:31:42 1,023 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The stacking of updates thing is getting tired. I hate downloading something from the store only to find out that the new versions and patches need to be layered on top one by one.

I know it was the line of least resistance early on in the life of the PSN to ensure everyone was running from a version with the same patch history, but the end result last night was that I cancelled the 15Gb update and played New Vegas instead of SOCOM 4.

Hope my fresh new PSN+ subscription service got that download for me in the middle of the night or I'm going to be even more annoyed when I get home this evening. :o\
  • Deleted user 24 March 2011 11:36:41
    Patching downloads is bad enough but the "in-client" downloads are what piss me off. At least the other type can be done in the background or by PSN+. The in-client stuff only works when you're actually running that game :-(
  • Rauha 24 Mar 2011 11:43:34 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's the same they did with MAG :( I'd have hoped they'd learned by now tbh.
  • Progguitarist 24 Mar 2011 12:00:16 10,317 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's worth it. The game is pretty ace. Very polished for a beta...no disconnects, not much lag (apart from some games last night) and nice visuals.
  • HisDudness 24 Mar 2011 12:37:01 923 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The in client MAG updater was significantly quicker than downloading from the XMB for me. I think that was the point of it to be honest...

Also complaining about having to download updates for a beta sounds a bit silly. Fair point if it's a demo, but if you are signing up to be a tester you should expect a fair degree of incovenience.

Have fun testing!
  • Gambit1977 24 Mar 2011 13:18:54 9,572 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Seemed fun, if either ridiculously easy, or I happened to be playing mongs! Not sure which. Enjoyed it, but damn the controls are still clunky!
  • JYM60 24 Mar 2011 14:36:33 16,755 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TeleFunken wrote:
    Patching downloads is bad enough but the "in-client" downloads are what piss me off. At least the other type can be done in the background or by PSN+. The in-client stuff only works when you're actually running that game :-(

To my knowledge you've never been able to download patches/update in the background.

The update wasn't too bad. Nowhere near as bad as MAGs updates. Game is good too.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• DrDamn 24 Mar 2011 17:07:22 1,215 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Took an age to download but I think it's very, very good personally. It feels just a little bit special. Graphically nicely detailed, smooth and retains clarity. Controls are very tight - not tried Move yet. It ticks a lot of boxes for me though - tactical, not much run and gun. Nice maps included in the beta too.

It's gone rapidly from "I'm interested" to pre-ordered for me based on the beta.
  • gigglefish 24 Mar 2011 20:27:24 3 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is anybody playing the Beta with the Sharpshooter? I'm excited to see how it plays. I know it's awesome with Killzone.
  • effinjamie 24 Mar 2011 20:44:25 867 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    it would help if it displayed somewhere what the feck the controls are on the move instead of having to guess and learn by trial and error, especially as there is about 4 different layouts, so its a real pain trying to find a layout that suits
    edit:
    WHoops! found it

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - Misanthropy TT

• Rauha 24 Mar 2011 23:18:48 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    From all of the 45 mins I played. It plays very well, very solid, and well put together. Personally, think the camera is too close, the HUD needs some work (I can't tell enemy from foe sometimes) and losing an airstrike upon death is harsh :D

Yeah, very well put together, unfortunately I don't think its for me. I am rubbish at it :p but I didn't personally have too much fun it. I definetly see the appeal though and its the one game (and its only a beta!) that works online as it should (aside from that one lag spike).

Loads of yanks on the headset. Most of the chatter is "urgh they've made it like COD" - which isn't true at all.
  • JYM60 25 Mar 2011 00:18:47 16,755 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Most of the chatter is 'ARE YOU SERIOUS BROSKI'. From my experience.

Never seen so many yanks on a game.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• Rauha 25 Mar 2011 00:20:07 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got alot of the 'N' word too.
  • JBlokeUK 25 Mar 2011 01:34:53 2,309 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    N00b?

I like it when he's angry.

• Res 25 Mar 2011 11:02:52 1,814 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've had a quick go with this now, and I absolutely hate the weapon levelling system. I was thrown into quite a few games in a row as Spec Ops, I focused on upgrading an assault rifle throughout those games. When I was finally placed into a game as Mercenaries it turns out I have access to a completely different set of weapons and have to start the whole process over again.

I'm fine with the weapon levelling system in games such as BC2 or COD as everything unlocked can be used across each faction. SOCOM doesn't do that though, which means access to equipment is lost simply because you've been placed on the other team.

To be fair, it's probably less frustrating if you're alternating between each faction rather than stuck on one team for an extended period of time. I wasn't though, so it just ended up pissing me off.
  • Deleted user 25 March 2011 11:37:06
    I played a few rounds of Uplink last night and despite not knowing the maps I really enjoyed it. Does definitely seem a bit quicker than I'd usually like for a game of this ilk but it handles it reasonably well
  • Progguitarist 25 Mar 2011 12:09:06 10,317 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played 2 games this morning with Move. I went 14-6 and then 13-12 on Last Defence. It's by FAR the best implementation of motion controls in a shooter. I found it very easy to line up shots even whilst being scoped. The reticule doesn't judder and hop around the screen like Killzone or other shooters.

In short, the motion controls in this are brilliantly implemented. I think I'll probably use Move with it from now on.
  • Deleted user 25 March 2011 12:33:39
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Played 2 games this morning with Move. I went 14-6 and then 13-12 on Last Defence. It's by FAR the best implementation of motion controls in a shooter. I found it very easy to line up shots even whilst being scoped. The reticule doesn't judder and hop around the screen like Killzone or other shooters.

In short, the motion controls in this are brilliantly implemented. I think I'll probably use Move with it from now on.

Oh, interesting, I might give that a try tonight
  • effinjamie 26 Mar 2011 00:54:29 867 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, I am trying to like this, without much success so far. It must be the 3rd person view, as I don't get on with Gears mp either.

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - Misanthropy TT

• jumpdeveraux 31 Mar 2011 09:26:11 182 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just given this a go... feels like the sequel to MAG though I think for a console game the graphics are excellent (given the limitations they must have with the multiplayer environment). Shame the aim down sights view is a flat image - looks very cheap.

Struggling with the controls and the 3rd person view - feels like my character is drunk with a rubbery aim.

Hopefully they fix the grenades I've had them bounce off invisible walls when trying to throw them out of a building - they rebounded back in off thin air killing two team mates.

Not sure wherer the servers are based when I'm playing in Sydney but no noticeable lag though on occasion I've put half a clip into someone running directly toward me with no hits registering only for them to insta-headshot me from 2 feet away (disproportionate amount of headshots in general just like MAG).

If they maps are good I'm actually half tempted to buy this.

(Praying they patch in a first person view)
  • Deleted user 31 March 2011 09:44:47
    Is it still closed/private beta at the moment? If so, are there any plans to make it open at all?
  • jumpdeveraux 31 Mar 2011 10:40:19 182 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apostle wrote:
    Is it still closed/private beta at the moment? If so, are there any plans to make it open at all?

It's now available to Playstation Plus subscribers (which is where I downloaded it from on PSN Store)
  • Page

of 8 First / Last