Deadly Premonition - omigodawesome! Page 34

• Page

of 36 First / Last

• Oh-Bollox 25 Apr 2013 14:59:29 5,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got my copy thanks to ShopTo, off to have a bash and find out what the coffee has to tell me.
  • SomaticSense 26 Apr 2013 12:01:21 8,132 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A tip for those PS3ers tempted by this: It's a great game and a completely unique experience, but for God's sake play it on Easy! It makes little difference to the challenge but makes the enemy killing grind a lot less of a pain in the arse.

Unless Swery has rebalanced the HP of some of the enemies (wallcrawlers!) then you'll be thanking me later. Honestly, while a couple of enemy types are no real threat to your health bar as their patterns are easily sussed, they can take an age to down because of their crazy HP. And the game has a tendency to throw a queue of them at you. And if you fuck up you have to kill them ALL again!

So suck up your pride-fuelled trophy obsessions, and play on Easy. It's a better experience a million times over.
  • danathjo 26 Apr 2013 12:45:17 7,311 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have no pride, thatnks for the tip

Got mine yesterday but probably won't get to play it for a while.

Finished all of Twin Peaks a while ago so waiting for a bit of time to finish off all the bonus features and maybe Fire Walk With Me to get me in the mood first :D

Also, should the Shopto bonus dlc come in the box or should i have a look in my junk mail folder?
  • Tubes 26 Apr 2013 13:10:40 47 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    I have no pride, thatnks for the tip

Got mine yesterday but probably won't get to play it for a while.

Finished all of Twin Peaks a while ago so waiting for a bit of time to finish off all the bonus features and maybe Fire Walk With Me to get me in the mood first :D

Also, should the Shopto bonus dlc come in the box or should i have a look in my junk mail folder?
    You should have got an email from them to tell you to look in your order history on their site, the code is in there.
  • santashi 26 Apr 2013 13:23:42 5,085 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is it officially out today? I had to go into town for an appointment and had a quick look in the various game shops but no sign of it anywhere.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• pinebear 26 Apr 2013 13:26:33 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Today's the day. Unless you're up north in the Americas

• santashi 26 Apr 2013 13:28:44 5,085 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hmm, guess they just weren't stocking it then. They had the other new releases.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Lotos8ter 26 Apr 2013 14:38:19 2,353 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    According to the Gamecentral review, they've removed the choice of difficulty option and replaced it with a standard difficulty which is halfway between normal and easy. Seems a bit of a strange decision for a DC.

Fiat Lux

• enfilade 26 Apr 2013 17:30:35 211 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think the decision on the difficulty was made specifically for the reasons SomaticSense gave for playing through on Easy.

I'm pretty far through the PS3 version and the wall-crawlers are a massive pain in the arse. There is literally no skill involved in defeating them but it can take ages when you face three in a row (with 4 shots to kill them). If it was twice that or worse I'd lose the will to the live.

As it is, the game is balanced just right.

Absolutely bloody loving this, by the way. Gabe Newell is a real star turn.
  • Oh-Bollox 26 Apr 2013 18:02:18 5,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm utterly in love with this. It's unique. And mental.
  • danathjo 26 Apr 2013 19:45:59 7,311 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    1000!
  • Triggerhappytel 26 Apr 2013 20:06:55 2,695 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Didn't even realise this was out today! I will have to get it at some point, although preferably need to finish a couple more games in my backlog first and polish off Dark Arisen.
  • Progguitarist 26 Apr 2013 21:19:23 10,414 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One of the best, if completely broken, games this generation for me.
  • drhcnip 26 Apr 2013 21:59:28 2,480 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    adored this game in all its shoddy glory....utterly absorbing.....
  • Oh-Bollox 27 Apr 2013 00:24:26 5,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the fact that virtually every facet is wonky is what singles it out. Not that part of it is broken, but that every piece is misaligned.
  • Bulbatron 27 Apr 2013 00:32:49 836 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @enfilade Is the game running smoothly for you? I've only just woken in the hotel room for day 1, but so far I've had a few problems with the graphics and audio stopping and starting. The disc itself (ordered from ShopTo) seems fine and free of any marks and it was properly attached to the spindle in the disc case. My PS3 slim was bought in October last year and I've still got a fair bit of HDD space free.

Edited by Bulbatron at 00:34:01 27-04-2013

Edited by Bulbatron at 00:36:25 27-04-2013

Wow - what a mansion!

• enfilade 27 Apr 2013 00:50:47 211 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bulbatron After about 15 hours of play (I got mine a couple of days early) I've only encountered one major issue. After I'd been playing a 5-6 hour session I quick-traveled and the game crashed on the loading page, forcing a hard reset. Other than that I didn't encounter anything too nasty.

By 'stopping and starting' do you mean there was a bit of lag and audio was out of sync, or was it more serious? Certainly the frame rate chugs a little if I rotate the camera 360 degrees and at a few other points, but other than that I didn't encounter any technical issues that drastically impacted the game.

Persevere, it may well correct itself for your next few sessions. And the story is definitely worth it. I've never felt so involved in a video game story since I was in my early teens (and therefore more easily convinced).

Edited by enfilade at 00:51:22 27-04-2013
  • Bulbatron 27 Apr 2013 01:40:51 836 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @enfilade It's sort of as though the movement and audio stop and start at the same time. Sorry, I'm not technically literate enough to give a decent description. It seems to effect cut-scenes as well.

It's sort of as if the disc can't keep up with the on-screen action, if that makes any sense.

It was a bit of a surprise since I only had one game freeze through my whole time finishing the game on Xbox 360.

Wow - what a mansion!

• enfilade 27 Apr 2013 09:18:14 211 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bulbatron I dare say I'm no better at describing such things. It does sound odd though, considering I haven't encountered it.

Perhaps it's worth deleting the game data (not save data, obviously) and reinstalling the game to the hard-drive? I'm there's someone else here with more technical know-how who might have advice.
  • Oh-Bollox 27 Apr 2013 23:33:00 5,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Quick question. Did the lumber mill, found the four clues, waypoint at the community hall has popped up etc, but there's still a big purple arrow over the lumber mill, which is purple on the map, and a trading card to get there as well, (technically I suppose it's outside the mill, at the end of the log flume thing). Can I piss off and have the town meeting at the community centre and come back to whatever the Big Purple Arrow Objective is later, or will it disappear?
  • enfilade 28 Apr 2013 00:31:45 211 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Oh-Bollox It depends.

a) You can go back and replay any chapter in the game by selecting it when you first boot up your game save. You will retain any weapons you have, all collectibles you've obtained, and side quest progression will stay the same. Basically, you can always go back and do something you missed (however, you will need to complete the chapter a second time to resume from the latest one).

b) More specifically, the purple arrow denotes a zone where you can replay any of the other world sections. As far as I am aware these are available at all stages in the game, once you have completed them in the main story. You should be fine! Typically each 'other world' stage will reward you with a trading card, and in some cases you'll also get a new weapon (or infinite-ammo variant of one you already have).

Hope that helps!

Got my platinum now, this game was an absolute hoot. I won't give anything away, but the ending was really powerful. Exactly the sort of narrative payoff that only really works if you've been directly controlling the protagonists. Can't wait for SWERY's next project!
  • Oh-Bollox 28 Apr 2013 00:51:27 5,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Magic, thanks a lot enfilade!
  • SomaticSense 28 Apr 2013 08:13:33 8,132 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    enfilade wrote:
    I think the decision on the difficulty was made specifically for the reasons SomaticSense gave for playing through on Easy.

I'm pretty far through the PS3 version and the wall-crawlers are a massive pain in the arse. There is literally no skill involved in defeating them but it can take ages when you face three in a row (with 4 shots to kill them). If it was twice that or worse I'd lose the will to the live.

As it is, the game is balanced just right.

Absolutely bloody loving this, by the way. Gabe Newell is a real star turn.
    The removal of the optional diffs makes no sense though. About 99% of the appeal of the game is it's narrative - no one is ever going to buy it for it's shonky combat sections. So it's an utterly bizarre decision, as it was only HP values for each diff that needed balancing. It ain't Dark Souls.

Saying that though, the new single diff sounds a lot more balanced than the old Normal. Four handgun shots to kill the gallery wallcrawlers? I dunno about twice that for the 360 version, try ten times that. For each one!. Or at least that's what it felt like!

I'm not sure now whether to pony up for the PS3 version, or replay the 360 one on Easy. How substanial really are the graphical improvements? I assume it's not suddenly a looker worth double-dipping for aesthetics alone...
  • enfilade 28 Apr 2013 10:51:06 211 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    By removing the difficulty you remove the option for people to play through on 'Hard', which the developers likely realised they had made a botch-job of on the original. The wall-crawlers were still annoying as hell, but at least I didn't have to waste more than a minute on each one. 10+ shots must have been just awful.

I haven't played the X360 version so can't compare directly, but my friend had a go on both and said that the major improvements were in field-of-view and the reduction of the 'fogginess' from the original. There are a few tweaks to things like the map and a few extra scenes, but they didn't rebuild the game engine or anything ;)
  • SomaticSense 28 Apr 2013 11:15:59 8,132 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But in doing so they also removed the option to play on Easy as well. They could've rebalanced Normal and not touched the others. If Hard was such a problem, then there was a simple solution: drop down (the mission select would now make this even easier).

The modes were already there, so to remove player choice makes no sense. In fact Easy mode wasn't a cakewalk either, so by removing it and turning the solo difficulty into an Easy/Normal middle ground they've effectively made a mildly frustrating game potentially harder for a chunk of it's audience wanting it for the narrative experience.

They should've at least kept Easy as an option.
  • Oh-Bollox 28 Apr 2013 13:56:12 5,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You don't know what you're on about.
  • psychokitten Moderator 28 Apr 2013 14:04:56 7,794 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are two kinds of people in this world. People who love Deadly Premonition and people who are wrong.
  • drhcnip 28 Apr 2013 14:08:41 2,480 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    couldnt have put it better, psycho.....
  • Cappy 28 Apr 2013 14:09:46 11,887 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Considering the serious technical problems (even worse than the previous PS3 and 360 versions) with the Director's Cut and the absolutely minimal new content, it's simply not worth the 25-30 asking price.
  • Page

of 36 First / Last