Far Cry 3 Page 34

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• Deleted user 4 December 2012 10:08:27
    What I like most about this game is reading all of your stories. That's a sign of a great game right there.
  • repairmanjack 4 Dec 2012 10:14:30 6,043 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, not sure I've seen it mentioned anywhere, but I nearly had a heart attack when I was attacked in an underground stream and discovered where I could farm "leather" from.

/nice new boots
  • Maturin 4 Dec 2012 10:25:15 2,995 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmmm just fired up the game and it's downloading an update. (PC version).

Will go looking for a changelog.

Edit: Here we go:

----------------------------------------------
    Release note Patch 1.02

Multiplayer fixes for the patch:

PVP:
    - Fixed some issues with user created maps when more than 8 players were playing them.
    - Improved matchmaking for both Multiplayer and Co-op modes.
    - Improved team balancing when playing in party.
    - Fixed issues with Live balancing patch system.

Map Editor:
    - Fix for the Map Editor crash at launch when the PC user contains language-specific characters.

Single Player fixes for the patch:

- Fixed issue where players fall through the world when not connected to the Ubisoft servers.
    - Fixed the "View Leaderboard" and "Start Trial" buttons in the World Map.
    - Improved stability when quitting to desktop.
    - Fixed issue with leaderboards.
    Edited by Maturin at 10:26:25 04-12-2012
  • krushing 4 Dec 2012 10:29:29 777 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Accidentally discovered that you can shoot molotov cocktails when they're in someone's hand. Highly recommend trying this, the results are entertaining.
    I'm pretty sure the molotov-carrying dudes *always* burst in flames when you shoot 'em as they're running towards you. I've had it happen so frequently that it can't be that I'm hitting the molotov-in-hand by accident (but then again they're all strapped up with the molotovs, so maybe it's that).
  • PearOfAnguish 4 Dec 2012 10:31:53 7,294 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Never seen them explode into flames until that point.
  • happyhammer81 4 Dec 2012 10:34:15 23 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Last night I decided to up the difficulty and turn off aiming assist as I felt it was getting a bit too easy. It's just made the game even better.

That said when I progress further in the game I'm probably going to get my arse handed to me...

XBL: happyhammer81

• DUFFKING 4 Dec 2012 10:36:46 7,257 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you're on the pc version hand having trouble deploying the wingsuit's parachute the key the game lists is wrong if you've changed your crouch button. My ctrl button is used for crouch but c deploys the parachute still.
  • 1Dgaf 4 Dec 2012 10:47:17 3,830 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can you wound people so their comrades come to help?

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Pumpatron 4 Dec 2012 10:47:47 374 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm loving this. But I wish it was a bit harder.

I'm playing on hard, I'm not using the camera or tagging enemies and I've turned aim assist off. Which has helped. I wish you could turn off the mini map to.

I've only done 9 main missions, uncovered 4 map squares and taken 4 enemy camps so maybe it'll get more difficult.
  • oldschoolsoviet 4 Dec 2012 10:55:33 5,478 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Can you wound people so their comrades come to help?
    Not anymore, nope.
  • 1Dgaf 4 Dec 2012 10:56:41 3,830 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's a bit rubbish. I was hoping you could have a wounded-molotov-man-claymore.

• PearOfAnguish 4 Dec 2012 11:06:56 7,294 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pumpatron wrote:
    Thing is, with a game like this you can make it harder by adjusting your playing style. It's very easy if you go in guns blazing, particularly with a mounted gun on a jeep or boat, but stick to playing it stealthy and it's considerably more challenging.

Same with Dishonored - that's not much of a challenge if you waltzed through the levels murdering everything in sight.

But it's good that you feel like a proper bad-ass and can go rampaging through enemy camps, particularly with the nastier weapons a little later on, which is something not enough games do. Bugs the shit out of me in stuff like Skyrim when the world constantly adjusts so everything is slightly more powerful than you. In Morrowind you became a god late game and it was awesome.

But then I like easy games anyway...

The cover system in FC3 deserves some love as well. No sticking to scenery, your guy just pops out from behind cover when an enemy is nearby and adjusts as you move. It's slick.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 11:09:20 04-12-2012
  • oldschoolsoviet 4 Dec 2012 11:11:57 5,478 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    Spent most of yesterday with it, and while I'm still really enjoying it there are some terrible flaws. Biggest issue I have now is the repetition of tasks, it's lifted right from the original assasins creed. Unlock tower then do one of the three same activities over and over again.

And to quote the game:

What's the definition of insanity ? Doing the same thing again, and again, and again.....?
    I'm still expecting some sort of commentary on this, but the plot development has been laughably ham-fisted, and the Alice quotes are as 'deep' as a Sixth Form/Year short story.

Add in the fact that post completion - there are no more enemies, as you've liberated everything. So no fun and games larking around tooled up, and the ridiculous aspects keep showing up.
  • oldschoolsoviet 4 Dec 2012 11:19:14 5,478 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    That's a bit rubbish. I was hoping you could have a wounded-molotov-man-claymore.
    Wound him, buddy picks him up, boom, two for one barbecue. Why is such a simple concept not included, bar the violence involved ?

As they are, the molotov guys are copypasta Borderlands Psychos.
  • Deckard1 4 Dec 2012 11:21:43 27,981 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My god you're dull.
  • krushing 4 Dec 2012 11:36:21 777 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pumpatron wrote:
    Do the enemies already pack vests & have the heavies shown up yet? I think it ramps up just right. Playing on normal and was thinking the exact same thing until that happened, and suddenly the outpost assaults became more challenging again.
  • Pumpatron 4 Dec 2012 11:40:10 374 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @PearOfAnguish

Yeah the cover system works really well - much like the one in crysis 2.

As for stealth being more challenging, I dunno. At first yes, but now I've got the hang of it, it's quite straight forward (I'm still early on mind so may end up eating my words).

But the game gives you help with the awareness indicators and the mini map shows where 'alert' enemies are. This makes it hard to be surprised by an enemy, I nearly always feel like I've got the jump on them. It's better than the ridiculous eagle eyed enemies in FC2. I just think the awareness indicator is a bit too generous, it'd be nice if hard mode reduced it's effectiveness.

I'm really enjoying the game, just have a few niggles with it. And you're right it does a great job of making you feel like a badass ninja. I love the takedown moves, death from above is ace.
  • Maturin 4 Dec 2012 11:42:44 2,995 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    krushing wrote:
    Pumpatron wrote:
    Do the enemies already pack vests & have the heavies shown up yet? I think it ramps up just right. Playing on normal and was thinking the exact same thing until that happened, and suddenly the outpost assaults became more challenging again.

Yes the last couple of outposts I've done have been really tricky.
  • Pumpatron 4 Dec 2012 11:45:44 374 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @krushing

I don't think I've encountered any heavies yet, not sure about vests. I'm still early on so fully expect them to kick my ass when I meet them :)

My moaning about it not being hard enough is probably a bit premature.
  • 1Dgaf 4 Dec 2012 11:52:59 3,830 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    My god you're dull.
    But his argument sound? If you can't wound people, that changes what you can do a little bit. It still sounds great fun, but it's a shame some features didn't make it to 3 from 2.

• Deckard1 4 Dec 2012 12:00:36 27,981 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He's spend the last 10 pages whining about the game. He's fucking dull. We get it, he doesn't like it. Go play something else, nobody wants to read the some fucker complaining for seven days on end.
  • Gambit1977 4 Dec 2012 12:02:23 9,666 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Buck is the best character for me. The amount of thought that's gone into this game is incredible.
  • spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 12:05:47 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    Oh yeah, the pre-order DLC was the most pointless shit I've ever played in a video game.
    Is that the Lost Expeditions stuff? I thought pretty much the same about some mission that was marked on the map as "Test Unit", but I assumed that was the uplay mission.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 12:07:14 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    He's spend the last 10 pages whining about the game. He's fucking dull. We get it, he doesn't like it. Go play something else, nobody wants to read the some fucker complaining for seven days on end.
    For me, the way he and ghostwhistler endlessly moan about the same games and then back each other up makes me think there are shenanigans afoot.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• repairmanjack 4 Dec 2012 12:07:35 6,043 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    krushing wrote:
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Accidentally discovered that you can shoot molotov cocktails when they're in someone's hand. Highly recommend trying this, the results are entertaining.
    I'm pretty sure the molotov-carrying dudes *always* burst in flames when you shoot 'em as they're running towards you. I've had it happen so frequently that it can't be that I'm hitting the molotov-in-hand by accident (but then again they're all strapped up with the molotovs, so maybe it's that).
    I've seen them do it without me firing a shot. Assumed it's either friendly fire or a glitch.
  • krushing 4 Dec 2012 12:08:27 777 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pumpatron wrote:But the game gives you help with the awareness indicators and the mini map shows where 'alert' enemies are. This makes it hard to be surprised by an enemy, I nearly always feel like I've got the jump on them. It's better than the ridiculous eagle eyed enemies in FC2. I just think the awareness indicator is a bit too generous, it'd be nice if hard mode reduced it's effectiveness.
    Yeah, it *is* generous. Then again, at some point you (meaning myself, that is) start feeling overly confident and rely too much on it, do a lazy recon and miss someone - you turn a corner, ready to stab someone in the back and suddenly there's someone staring at you down the barrel of a shotgun, and all hell breaks loose.

That said, I love how there's a small window of a takedown opportunity even when you surprise someone face on - it's details like these that make the game shine.
  • Youthist 4 Dec 2012 12:10:25 10,018 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    For me, the way he and ghostwhistler endlessly moan about the same games and then back each other up makes me think there are shenanigans afoot.
    Christ if that's true there are some empty lives right there.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 12:14:02 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmmm.

)Mild spoilers about the themes of the story ahead but nothing too bad. To be safe, wait until you've met Buck.)

I'm not very convinced by the way the story seems to be rapidly descending into voodoo-esque mumbo-jumbo and magical ancient artifacts nonsense. It feels very at odds with the themes that the game is trying to go for and dilutes the impact of the early game and characters.

It wouldn't surprise me if I start developing the ability to fly and shoot magical bolts of lightning from my hands towards the end.

Can I expect my fears to be justified or assauged in this regard?

• spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 12:14:49 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Christ if that's true there are some empty lives right there.
    They were doing exactly the same thing in the Hitman thread last week.

• Lexx87 4 Dec 2012 12:23:49 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quick one:

Using an xbox pad on the PC version, anyone doing it? Ubisoft have a tendancy to completely fuck it up.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Page

of 79 First / Last