Far Cry 3 Page 3

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• cianchristopher 7 Jun 2011 10:27:36 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This looks like it's got a lot more scripted moment-type spectacle than the last one. Also, the enemies seem to have a touch of that XIII-style cel-shading to them.

Still, I'm looking forward to it more than any other shooter that's coming up.

When's it out? Also, was that console footage that was shown? It looked a bit too good to be true. I hope they don't drop the resolution just to up the CoD-style BOOM!
  • Matt_B 7 Jun 2011 10:47:02 444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has this been confirmed as open world, I just don't see that being the case from the E3 demo. It was a roller coaster of scripted events. The improvements we wanted for FC2 have all been mentioned above, FC3 doesn't appear to deliver.
  • DUFFMAN5 7 Jun 2011 10:55:10 14,557 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looked nice to me, but I see your point. I just rebought FC2 (I had 5 credit in gamestation) I enjoyed large parts of FC2 but alas the game died on me at around 30 hours (we all know about the problems, saves ect) I'm willing to give it another chance AND I will save a lot more ;)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• thedriffter50 7 Jun 2011 10:55:40 166 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FC3 actually looked good and I was actually expecting it to suck.
  • AaronTurner 7 Jun 2011 10:55:57 7,680 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds very much like it will remain open world, looks great and it top of my list now I think.
  • Zerobob 7 Jun 2011 10:57:32 1,605 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    E3 vid

Very glad it's still open world et al. Think I'll miss Africa though, for some reason :s

Heart of Darkness vibe = approved.

That looks absolutely brilliant! Pretty much exactly what I wanted from the game by the looks of it. And it's IN THE JUNGLE! It looks so lush.

Hopefully it's not all balls out action, and there's a lot of sneaking & sniping, as well as some decent vehicles.

The bit where he steals the guy's knife, kills him with it, then throws it and kills his friend. Awesome!
  • RunningMan 7 Jun 2011 10:57:50 2,392 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wouldn't really be farcry if it wasn't open world, am now worried...
  • Yossarian 7 Jun 2011 11:08:24 8,401 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    The bit where he steals the guy's knife, kills him with it, then throws it and kills his friend. Awesome!
    And all with one button push, so you can't fail!

Videogames are super!
  • AaronTurner 7 Jun 2011 11:11:57 7,680 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't be worried, listen to the dev talking, he's talking about fast travel, loads of missions off the beaten path etc. To me the vid looked like it would be open world but the dev interview basically confirms it.
  • Zerobob 7 Jun 2011 11:20:07 1,605 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yossarian wrote:
    Zerobob wrote:

Videogames are super!

Yeah, but would you prefer a QTE, or a slow-mo COD style knife aiming sequence? I'm not sure I would, although it would be more involved. Sometimes you just want to be the hero with no messing around.
  • oldschoolsoviet 7 Jun 2011 11:22:12 5,459 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yossarian wrote:
    Zerobob wrote:

Videogames are super!
    Heavily scripted E3 vid is heavily scripted.
  • cianchristopher 7 Jun 2011 11:24:20 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think he'd prefer if that kind of crap wasn't in the game at all, tbh (at least, I would)
  • Matt_B 7 Jun 2011 11:26:13 444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Zerobob wrote:

Videogames are super!

Yeah, but would you prefer a QTE, or a slow-mo COD style knife aiming sequence? I'm not sure I would, although it would be more involved. Sometimes you just want to be the hero with no messing around.

They need to change the point scoring, 10 points for that skill kill it should be at least 50 points.
  • Gambit1977 7 Jun 2011 11:27:21 9,583 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Game of the show so far, for me.
  • Yossarian 7 Jun 2011 11:40:14 8,401 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    I think he'd prefer if that kind of crap wasn't in the game at all, tbh (at least, I would)
    I don't really mind one-button takedowns that much, if the difficult part is getting in a position to make one (e.g. Thief games, early Splinter Cells have one-button takedowns, but you have to be good at stealth to get near enough to make them), though I do wish you could turn off 'Press X to Takedown', because it's an immersion-killer for me (so is the HUD mini-map, after Far Cry 2's excellent in-game maps, and so is mashing A to loosen ropes... but nothing is as bad as the completely pointless CoD-style '+10' bullshit).

But if I'm going to throw a knife at someone, why can't I aim and throw the knife myself, and possibly miss? If I press a button and something cool happens, I'm always going to wonder why I couldn't have done the cool thing myself, and possibly failed... so that when I do succeed it feels like I accomplished something sophisticated, rather than the game just gifting me a two-second cutscene of how awesome 'I' am.

My hope is that this demo was put together in a very scripted way just to show it off and get people interested, but that the actual game is a lot more free, like Far Cry 2 was.
  • RedSparrows 7 Jun 2011 11:43:12 22,256 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really hope so too. I suspect that is the case. If this were linear I'd not be nearly as interested.
  • Yossarian 7 Jun 2011 11:49:44 8,401 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I really hope so too. I suspect that is the case. If this were linear I'd not be nearly as interested.
    No, they've definitely said it's an open-world game. But they also talk about making it a much busier open world with stuff around every corner (which always makes open worlds feel more designed and 'game-y', less real), and having all the combat be on your terms, so you don't get punished by the AI or randomly attacked, and taking out malaria and weapon jams, and a lot of other things that sound like they're apologizing for how brutal Far Cry 2 could be.

My suspicion is that a lot of areas will only be set up with enemies once you've started a given mission, and that otherwise there will be a lot fewer hostiles. So yes, it will be open world, but you won't have to be on your guard until you enter a mission 'pocket'.

It's a difficult balance to actually get people to buy it this time and not whine, and I'm definitely still excited about it, I just hope all the stuff that looks plonked in from every other shooter out there doesn't get in the way of the things that made Far Cry 2 really good.

And one of the things that made Far Cry 2 really good was it didn't compromise, and if you made mistakes and charged headlong around the place like you were playing CoD, you were punished for that.
  • RedSparrows 7 Jun 2011 11:56:21 22,256 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I loved Far Cry 2's brutality. Weapon jamming was sometimes annoying but mostly a good tension builder.

I also liked the expanses of nature. Fill them with more wildlife ONLY and I am happy.
  • AaronTurner 7 Jun 2011 12:01:35 7,680 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, some of Far Cry 2's best parts were just walking through the huge fields of wheat spying wildlife walking by in the distance. The grass draw distance was just superb. It sounds geeky but that's why I'm keen for the camera to actually be a gameplay element that you can use anywhere.
  • frugtkompot 7 Jun 2011 19:08:59 2,819 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Far Cry 2 was a mixed bag of brilliant ideas, horrible ideas that were ultimately hampered by a few frustrations decisions that got in the way of the overall enjoyment. I loved parts of that game a lot, but it worked so tirelessly against me that I too often wasn't having any fun.

This game however looks remarkably good. I liked all the Far Cry 2 trailers too, and ended up a bit burnt on that one, but I'll probably get this one either way. There was so much promise in Far Cry 2. I hope they've learnt from that title and will make the third one as unforgettable as it promises to be.

Great trailer.
  • beastmaster 7 Jun 2011 19:29:36 11,315 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved Far Cry 2. Some of the missions were pure sweaty palms.

This looks great too although. Looks a bit like the first one(?). I can't say for sure as I've never played the original.

Edit: Multiple islands on FC3!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Ajay 12 Jun 2011 14:53:10 2,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm playing through FC2 again, but with the weapon durability cheat on. It's amazing how less annoying, as as a direct result how much more enjoyable, I'm finding the game as a result of that one change. It just makes the condition static, so crap weapons will still jam and rockets misfire, but means a pristine weapon won't become useless just because you've fired a couple of magazines worth through it.

It even takes the sting out of the respawning, because no longer are you in a race against weapon condition to finish your objective. Without the ability to repair your weapon (if the mod kit had been released we could at least have a cleaning kit or whatever) the 'static' method seems the best compromise to include weapon quality without the annoyance. Almost a shame to see it disappear in FC3 entirely after playing it like this.
  • DUFFKING 12 Jun 2011 15:59:38 7,204 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RunningMan wrote:

...there's been 2 Far Cry games. 1 of them open world, one of them not 0_o
  • Dirtbox 12 Jun 2011 16:28:35 77,680 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, the first one was fairly sandboxy but far from open.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• DUFFMAN5 12 Jun 2011 16:53:11 14,557 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    RunningMan wrote:

...there's been 2 Far Cry games. 1 of them open world, one of them not 0_o

3 surely ?
    Far Cry pc/ FC Instincts on consoles
    Far Cry instincts: evolution
    Far Cry 2

just sayin' is all

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• pinebear 21 Jun 2011 13:57:44 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So... narrative design on this is by Jason Vandenburghe, the chap who was lead designer on 007 Everything or Nothing and in charge of Red Steel 2.

• cianchristopher 21 Jun 2011 14:04:13 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Isn't Josh Mosqueira (Company of Heroes) taking the Clint Hocking "lead designer" role on this?
  • Vortex808 21 Jun 2011 14:08:15 7,060 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I loved Far Cry 2's brutality. Weapon jamming was sometimes annoying but mostly a good tension builder.

I also liked the expanses of nature. Fill them with more wildlife ONLY and I am happy.

Definitely. I was annoyed by the malaria bit though. Weapon jamming was great overall, but it was a relief to buy your own stuff and not have to worry about it for a while. Also loved the odd gazelle or zebras running by. It really help the immersion.

I do worry at how scripted the video was, and FC3 definitely doesn't need the +10 score shit. That's not what FC2 lacked.

Another free-roaming FPS a la FC2 is definitely needed though. I hoped Crysis 2 might do that, but it was pretty linear really which was a shame.
  • CaptainDEEZ 25 Jun 2011 22:16:25 3 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I loved the map maker in Far Cry 2. It had a few quirks, but nothing too big to make me dislike it.
    I for one, can't wait until Far Cry 3 comes out.
    I'll be buying FC3 on all platforms.
  • Deleted user 25 June 2011 22:19:52
    CaptainDEEZ wrote:
    I'll be buying FC3 on all platforms.

You and Darren should get together.
  • Page

of 79 First / Last