Richer Sounds - how to turn a customer away Page 3

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

  • Deleted user 28 September 2009 15:42:31
    Funny story. Studio I work at a lot often need an HDMI cable to rig PS3s up to a telly for demo purposes. Tech manager found 6 metre HDMIs for a tenner at Maplins on special offer a few weeks back and asked permission to buy one for the studio as it was bound to come in handy at some point. Studio said no, got to watch our outgoings, etc. That weekend, they needed it. Some people, etc etc.
  • istandfreed 28 Sep 2009 15:43:01 2,388 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love Richersounds, the Belfast branch at least. Spent about 1 month asking them questions via email, around a surround speaker package. They gave me a terrific deal, pretty much 40% off the cheapest price they could find on the internet, knocked 500 off the price and I had next day delivery.
  • kalel 28 Sep 2009 15:44:04 87,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkeyspasm wrote:
    LG aren't bad, but anyone who recommends them over Panasonic and Samsung is officially insane.

    I was under the understanding that LG were of a similar level to Sansung, but Panny were a level up.
  • SirScratchalot 28 Sep 2009 15:48:35 7,874 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Rauper ought to rent phage out.

    We could take him along with us and when salesmen go into waffle mode about why x is better, we just unleash phage on them.



    If we did that I'd not actually need a tv, just a list of obnoxious sales people types, phage and some popcorn...
  • Deleted user 28 September 2009 15:49:58
    istandfreed wrote:
    I love Richersounds, the Belfast branch at least. Spent about 1 month asking them questions via email, around a surround speaker package. They gave me a terrific deal, pretty much 40% off the cheapest price they could find on the internet, knocked 500 off the price and I had next day delivery.
    How on earth could they afford to knock 500 off the price you found on the internet?
  • istandfreed 28 Sep 2009 15:54:28 2,388 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lol I didn't ask, I just took!

    The belfast branch does a deal with a particular message board for customers in the Republic of Ireland, I imagine they do the same in the UK. Also the woofer I took with the package was a display unit which didn't match the colours of the speakers but for the price I got them all at it was more than worth it.
  • PearOfAnguish 28 Sep 2009 15:57:37 7,328 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Good point Dougs, I didn't realise that model was Richer-specific.

    A lot of budget shops do this. They buy so much stock that companies will produce cheaper versions of their products with a subtlety different model number. Wal-Mart in the US is notorious for it.
  • jonsaan 28 Sep 2009 15:59:16 25,353 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago


    RICHER SOUNDS

    FCUTA!

  • Dougs 28 Sep 2009 16:02:35 68,061 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:


    RICHER SOUNDS

    Classic! :D
  • X201 28 Sep 2009 16:10:35 15,523 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:


    RICHER SOUNDS

    Remember to equalise your graphics
  • jonsaan 28 Sep 2009 16:13:10 25,353 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D AM is for listening to the radio in the morning!

    FCUTA!

  • kentmonkey 28 Sep 2009 16:18:02 20,721 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh now I'm torn. It's 100hz, but not 1080p (although at 32" I don't think you'd notice it that much, especially at 6-8 feet viewing distance). And at that price it's extremely tempting.
  • craigy Staff 28 Sep 2009 16:28:35 7,692 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gah, I hate the subjective-but-meaningless comparisons you get from electronic staffers. They always end up contradicting themselves.

    "Yeah, LG is definitely not as good as Samsung. Samsungs are good, but not as good as Sony panels -- they're the best, but not quite as good as LG."
  • rock27gr 28 Sep 2009 16:29:17 5,583 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Go for the 37" one. You won't regret it!
  • otto Moderator 28 Sep 2009 16:30:54 49,320 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A tenner says they're all made in exactly the same factory in China.

    say no to Eurogamer sigs

  • craigy Staff 28 Sep 2009 16:32:25 7,692 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, but the Tianjin province factories are much better quality than those found in Shanxi.
  • El_MUERkO 28 Sep 2009 16:36:46 17,050 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Ah, but the Tianjin province factories are much better quality than those found in Shanxi.

    but they've had LED backlight issues
  • President_Weasel 28 Sep 2009 16:41:28 9,383 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As far as I can tell* they seem to advertise good deals in their leaflets and advertising, then when people turn up to buy those things they try and upsell them to something that's more expensive or earns them more commission or isn't a heavily-discounted loss-leader.

    For instance I once wanted an amp, saw one for cheap in their leaflet, looked it up on the internet and found it was universally well-reviewed, and went in to buy it, only to be told it was out of stock and for them to heavily pressure me to buy a cambridge audio one.

    I haven't been since then and that was at least 4 years ago. I am sure they used to be better, but maybe I am just remembering a lost golden age that never existed.


    *obviously when I say "as far as I can tell" I mean "this is my theory based on my own limited experience, some anecdotal evidence, and my general suspicious attitude"
  • Deleted user 28 September 2009 16:46:16
    Maturin wrote:
    1080p is a bit of a waste under 40" anyway. I reckon go for the 37".

    /basks in glow of new 46" unit bought in the summer too ;)

    Recently upgraded from a 32" to a 40" with 1080p, its not a waste. IMO anyway, very noticeable difference, also anything which supports the 24fps thing on Blu Ray is awesome, makesa lot of action movies like new movies compared to when I watched on a non 24fps.
  • Phattso Moderator 28 Sep 2009 16:47:46 13,351 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    EverAfter wrote:
    Maturin wrote:
    1080p is a bit of a waste under 40" anyway. I reckon go for the 37".

    /basks in glow of new 46" unit bought in the summer too ;)

    Recently upgraded from a 32" to a 40" with 1080p, its not a waste. IMO anyway, very noticeable difference, also anything which supports the 24fps thing on Blu Ray is awesome, makesa lot of action movies like new movies compared to when I watched on a non 24fps.

    Well yeah - that's why Maturin said anything under 40" was a waste. :)

    Even 40 can be borderline depending on how far away from the screen you're sitting, and how good your eyes are.
  • Retroid Moderator 28 Sep 2009 18:40:03 44,803 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    "So when I'm watching the football on Saturday, will I see players running at 70mph then"
    They'd be travelling faster than that if I was organising it. Whatever the speed is when something is shot from a cannon.
  • Xerx3s 28 Sep 2009 18:44:22 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Never engage in conversation with them.

    This. When you see one approaching you, run. RUN FOREST, RUN!
  • SuperCoolEskimo 28 Sep 2009 18:46:57 9,884 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kentmonkey, did you ask if they actually had the Panasonic in stock or were they just using it as a hook to get people into the store? It sure sounds like that to me, in which case they're using bait and switch tactics, which I'm pretty sure is illegal for a retailer to do.
  • Deleted user 28 September 2009 18:54:48
    That not the nine o'clock news sketch is perfectly true.

  • Whatsfor 28 Sep 2009 19:28:14 2,189 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:

    "So when I'm watching the football on Saturday, will I see players running at 70mph then"
    "No, of course not"


    Did you actually say this? If you did, brilliant!

    I would have relented and then followed up with 'Perhaps you mean that the screen updates 12 times faster.'

    /is too nice.

    This is still wrong. 600Hz on plasma (LG, Samsung or Panasonic) doesn't describe motion enhancement. The 600Hz term describes the sub-field drive. Every dot on a picture displayed on the screen is a sub-field. On a plasma the sub-field needs to be reluminated/refreshed constantly otherwise the image will dim causing a bright, dim, bright, dim flicker. Each sub-field is re-flashed 10 times per second.

    So there are 60 frames per second (NTSC) with each sub-field flashed 10 times per second.

    60 frames per second * 10 sub-field flashes = 600 flashes per second (600Hz).

    If you look very closely at the info stickers on the set in the shop there is a tiny * after 600Hz and (*SFD) at the bottom of the sticker.

    I hate the deceptive advertising/numbers game most TV manufacturers. Don't get me started on Samsung 'LED' TV's...

    Now shall I hold the "Measuring Contrast Techniques" lecture now or later?



    /Stealth may work for a pretty big TV manufacturer.
  • Whatsfor 28 Sep 2009 19:34:23 2,189 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    kentmonkey, did you ask if they actually had the Panasonic in stock or were they just using it as a hook to get people into the store? It sure sounds like that to me, in which case they're using bait and switch tactics, which I'm pretty sure is illegal for a retailer to do.

    Its not illegal to have run out of an item of stock and only have the display model left. They can take order's from that model.

    RS use the S.W.A.N sales technique, often employed by the multiples.

    Sell
    Whats
    Available
    Now
  • chopsen 28 Sep 2009 19:44:08 16,093 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    Now shall I hold the "Measuring Contrast Techniques" lecture now or later?

    Go on.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 28 Sep 2009 19:47:07 9,884 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    kentmonkey, did you ask if they actually had the Panasonic in stock or were they just using it as a hook to get people into the store? It sure sounds like that to me, in which case they're using bait and switch tactics, which I'm pretty sure is illegal for a retailer to do.

    Its not illegal to have run out of an item of stock and only have the display model left. They can take order's from that model.

    RS use the S.W.A.N sales technique, often employed by the multiples.

    Sell
    Whats
    Available
    Now
    This may have been the case, but I just find it suspicious at how keen the staffer was at not showing kentmonkey the Panasonic TV. I understand him trying to get more money out of the customer, but completely turning his business away is most odd.

    "Bait and switch" inviting consumers to buy one product but then trying to persuade them to buy a different one e.g. by refusing to show them the original item, or to take orders or make delivery arrangements, or by showing a defective sample.
  • Whatsfor 28 Sep 2009 19:47:37 2,189 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, for the fact that EVERYONE measures dynamic contrast rather then static is annoying as the latter is more useful to the customer.

    Samsung and Panny now just put "MEGACONTRAST" and "SUPERCONTRAST" on their sets and tell their resellers to quote 2,000,000:1 if asked.

    N.B. most people's eyes stop caring at about 800,000:1
  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

Log in or register to reply