Ridley Scott's Prometheus (spoilers within) Page 107

• Page

of 116 First / Last

• riceNpea 16 Feb 2013 16:26:34 592 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @sega

sega i don't discount people's opinions offhand but i've got to say, in the kindest possible way, that your post is not relevant. i don't mean to be disparaging but what you purport, that people act irrationally when under extreme stress is accurate i'm sure, but it's not what is happening in Prometheus.

as for Lambert, well she never even wanted to go to the derelict in the first place, she became a wreck when Dallas was killed and was the most vociferous about evacuating if i remember rightly. as for drawing straws, the escape ship only held 3 people so that's why.

i don't think she betrayed her character at any stage unlike those simpletons did in Prometheus who from the start were less men of science and more college drop-outs.
  • oceanmotion 16 Feb 2013 16:31:37 15,243 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Like that whole alien in her stomach section. Runs away from medical staff, cuts it out, stitches, walks away, oh hey guys, weren't you just cutting an alien out, how did that go, yeah whatever, slippers please. Lets do this. What...memory wipe complete.
  • sega 16 Feb 2013 16:33:02 558 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, no, I'm not trying to convince you it's a good film. I couldn't care less if you like it or not - makes no difference to me and there's nothing more pointless and futile than trying to make a person like a film they don't. I'm just interested in why you single these things out in this film and why they're not brought up in other films, especially things that seemed perfectly rational to me.

I mean there's surely actual problems with Prometheus that make sense to discuss. My biggest problem is with Shaw being a Christian, despite being presented with evidence that there is no god. That, to me, is a ver unscientific reaction (Infact I'm surprised the character is religious at all).
  • riceNpea 16 Feb 2013 16:35:47 592 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Like that whole alien in her stomach section. Runs away from medical staff, cuts it out, stitches, walks away, oh hey guys, weren't you just cutting an alien out, how did that go, yeah whatever, slippers please. Lets do this. What...memory wipe complete.
    i was at my girlfriend's caesarean (invited guest no less, lucky me) and that scene was exactly how i remember it. how we laughed as we left the hospital on our roller-skates parkouring our way to the gym.
  • riceNpea 16 Feb 2013 16:46:14 592 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @sega

do me a favour. watch the film again. then reread our posts. if you truly still believe that the crew of Prometheus behaved from start to finish like the team of highly educated, experienced, proffesional scientist on an (fictitious) mission of discovery you'd expect to see in a film aiming to be highbrow in nature then i will eat my hat, your hat, a tramp's hat, a witch's hat, Top Cat, Top Gun, the Guns of Navaronne, and anything else you care to mention.

perhaps this film will help. please watch it. why the scientists were idiots

Edited by riceNpea at 16:46:33 16-02-2013
  • spindizzy 16 Feb 2013 16:58:40 6,400 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Well, as I said, they didn't really take me out of the film.

The only one that did was right at the end, when I was actually saying "run to the side, OH MY GOD RUN TO THE SIDE YOU IDIOTS" out loud in the cinema.
    Ha! I was watching at home, but I was doing the same! :-) There was a lot of muttering under breath at the 'scientists' too.
  • spindizzy 16 Feb 2013 16:59:20 6,400 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    riceNpea wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    i was at my girlfriend's caesarean (invited guest no less, lucky me) and that scene was exactly how i remember it. how we laughed as we left the hospital on our roller-skates parkouring our way to the gym.
    :-D
  • sega 16 Feb 2013 17:01:43 558 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I watched it yesterday, actually, which is why I decided to venture into here. I think we're just going to be going around in circles now and I just wanted to put my point accross and we'd be wasting our time trying to convince each other. Best just to think about whether we enjoyed the movie or not.

That movie clip, though, is doing the same thing. Do these people watch the film? The only person who touched the goo was David, he's an android and his intention was to infect anyway. Your arguments in here are much more rational than those in that video - I'm not even sure those guys have seen the film...

Edited by sega at 17:03:25 16-02-2013
  • spindizzy 16 Feb 2013 17:09:51 6,400 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I actually think that scene with the caesarean was extremely well done. So when afterwards she just wandered in and had a friendly chat with the people who infected her, killed her boyfriend and then decided to go back to the ship with them... that was the bit when I gave up on the film.

I've no problem with suspension of disbelief in films, and I'm pretty tolerant (I WANT to enjoy films), but Prometheus was incredibly poorly written, often for no obvious reason. It's such a shame. It COULD have been so much better, with almost no significant effort.
  • Steve_Perry 16 Feb 2013 17:13:06 2,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Star Trek 2009 was similarly loose with characters and science, but it was only a few occasions and the film has a solid premise, good structure and a cohesive narrative.

Prometheus is just one headscratcher after the next. Its an enjoyable, if frustrating, beautiful mess. Conflict-me-do!

Edited by Steve_Perry at 17:15:57 16-02-2013

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Bremenacht 16 Feb 2013 18:52:50 15,756 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Watch it a second time and it looks even more impressive. However, the plot and dialogue seem even more bizarre and nonsensical.

The BD set -which I couldn't resist- has outtakes which explain some of the jarring stuff e.g. the alien-snake petting and the captain's WMD revelation. This begs a question: why did they find plenty of time for bicycle basketball, T.E. Lawrence and hairdressing -none of which had an obvious relevance, to me- and no time at all for scenes which would help the film make more sense?

Bizarre.

Edited by Bremenacht at 18:53:17 16-02-2013

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Latin 16 Feb 2013 21:09:04 3,377 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sega wrote:

I'm not going to defend Prometheus against those who don't like it, as that's up to the viewer, but I always find this argument interesting.

Scientifically speaking, the most likely scenario regarding airborne viruses on an alien world is that they would be completely harmless to us. A virus has to adapt and mutate before it is able to infect its host, which is exactly the reason people are unable to contract the same diseases as animals. It's only these mutations that allow illnesses that affect animals to eventually be a threat to humans, which would take a very long time if at all.

Apart from said scientist has been directed to this planet by alien creatures he knows were on earth previously thousands of years ago... These aliens might have (probably)taken viruses from Earth that themselves mutated further hence even more reason not to take off his helmet!

Or maybe the alien viruses mutate at a much faster rate than anything on earth.

Or; He's always believed the engineers created man so surely they must understand human DNA etc.. So they could easily have made a virus to immediately affect humans.

Whatever bullshit reason you want to make up, this was just plain unbelievable.

Also the stupid fucker must have seen war of the worlds!
  • Deleted user 9 July 2013 20:44:20
    Prometheus (2012) 6/10

Now all the hype has passed, I thought it was about time I checked out the film, the Blu-ray to be precise.

Picture quality is good as is to be expected. Special FX are impressive, and I loved the locations inspired by HR Giger. For me, this is where the positives end. For the first hour I found the film boring, and the second hour wasnít much more interesting either, thank god there wasnĎt a third hour to endure. I went into Prometheus never expecting anything to do with Alien, as I knew Iíd be disappointed, and planned to take the film as a stand alone film. I did find myself comparing it to the original Alien, the way the characters emerge from their sleep in those pods, the crew meeting up, there being one black person, it closing with a single female against a monster, not that there was anything like the same amount of tension compared to the closing moments of Alien. The cast was pretty naff too, and failed on every level to match the cast of Alien. As for the Alien right at the end, even that didnít look right.

All in all, and big thumbs down. Iíll be selling the Blu-ray as I doubt Iíll want to watch it again.
  • Jmek 9 Aug 2013 08:02:02 1,293 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mad magazine failed to do a Prometheus lampoon so this guy decided to do his own, and it's a work of genius.

Ladies & gentlemen behold PROMTHEARSE

http://promethearse.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/promethearse.html

Edited by Jmek at 08:03:27 09-08-2013
  • oceanmotion 2 Dec 2013 17:01:16 15,243 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago

Prometheus 2 lols for 2015.
  • itsoldsquarejaw 2 Dec 2013 17:04:26 178 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    First is a film I love and get irritated by in equal measure. Spaight's original script would've been fine without Lindelof getting his mitts on it, but I see the point in trying to remove it a step away from Alien (which was pointless given the final surprise). Not sure if they can keep the story going without it becoming nonsensical though; just hope they hire a scriptwriter who understands logic and character writing.

Can't believe it's knocking on five years since I opened this thread either. o_0
  • Steve_Perry 2 Dec 2013 17:16:15 2,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I pretty much love it and hate it too. I hope the sequel is a bit more coherent and retains the amazing visuals.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Steve_Perry 2 Dec 2013 17:20:03 2,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The link from that tweet is of dubious quality though. Is that his official account? Has he been hacked?

VIVA STEFANSEN

• BinaryBob101 2 Dec 2013 17:23:34 21,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That doesn't seem like enough time to get a film like that made.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• nickthegun 2 Dec 2013 17:26:48 55,870 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    The link from that tweet is of dubious quality though. Is that his official account? Has he been hacked?
    bitly urls are a legit way of shortening stupid SEO primed bigfilmbullshit.com/prometheus-sequel-is-a-go-despite-a-lot-of-people-thinking-the-previous-one-sucked-out-loud for twitter

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Steve_Perry 2 Dec 2013 17:28:42 2,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    bitly urls are a legit way of shortening stupid SEO primed bigfilmbullshit.com/prometheus-sequel-is-a-go-despite-a-lot-of-people-thinking-the-previous-one-sucked-out-loud for twitter
    Yeah I understand the link shortening, it's just that it doesn't link to a very credible looking site. I expected it to be an official site but it looks like some fanwank news site. Not sure, didn't look at it much.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Steve_Perry 2 Dec 2013 17:30:10 2,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It goes here:

http://www.prometheus2-movie.com/

I think he has been hacked or he is on the whiskey.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• nickthegun 2 Dec 2013 17:31:02 55,870 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OIC, yeah, that does look a bit wordpress.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Gambit1977 2 Dec 2013 17:39:05 9,568 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't think Prometheus was shit, just really disappointed a lot of people who expected a proper alien prequel.
  • itsoldsquarejaw 2 Dec 2013 17:40:23 178 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @BinaryBob101 2 years, depending on how much work's already been done on preproduction and script. If they've started. Prometheus started in April 2010 and was released in early June 2012. Lindelof rewrote it in late 2010 according to Wiki, probably in five minutes on a cigarette break.
  • BinaryBob101 2 Dec 2013 17:43:31 21,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well yeah, but the last "story" I read was that there was no script as yet.

Eighteen months - assuming a Summer realease - doesn't really cut it.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 17:44:42 02-12-2013

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• itsoldsquarejaw 2 Dec 2013 17:44:27 178 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Like I said, back of a cereal box. Bosh. Ten minutes, tops.
  • Steve_Perry 2 Dec 2013 17:47:11 2,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Couldn't have taken long to write the first one AMIRITE?

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Steve_Perry 2 Dec 2013 17:47:46 2,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh you did that gag. Twice. Nvm :(

VIVA STEFANSEN

• itsoldsquarejaw 2 Dec 2013 17:52:23 178 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Plus I wrote it while picking my nose.
  • Page

of 116 First / Last