Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 70

• Page

of 77 First / Last

• Roddy100 25 Jul 2013 22:12:34 758 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    +1 for thoroughly enjoying it.

Although it shares much in common with Uncharted, it still managed to do some things differently - and better! Having massive hub areas to explore was great. There were a few instances when I just forgot about the story for a while and spent time exploring each area for collectibles.

The upgrade system was done very well too IMO.

Plus, it's nice to see Lara become an actual layered character instead of just 'Lara Croft: Gaming Icon'.
  • mcmothercruncher 26 Jul 2013 17:55:50 6,823 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just took a chance on it second hand. Hmmm- watered down, but great looking Uncharted anyone?
    Jesus, some of the fally/peril scenes are shamefully close to the stuff Nathan Drake was miraculously pulling himself out of 4 years ago.

Oh well, will plough on, for now...
  • ecureuil 26 Jul 2013 18:22:43 76,730 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it was fantastic. I feel bad for people who can't enjoy a game like this, it's a really well made game. Nicely paced, good looking, with excellent gameplay that never feels frustrating. I feel like some people want the moon on a stick with their games, instead of just enjoying them for what they are.
  • King_Edward 26 Jul 2013 18:26:01 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought it was poorly paced, ugly, bad gameplay, and constantly frustrating.
  • ecureuil 26 Jul 2013 18:40:54 76,730 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's because you're special.
  • King_Edward 26 Jul 2013 18:43:50 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's because I played it, and didn't enjoy it, and for no other reason.
  • CharlieStCloud 26 Jul 2013 18:50:01 5,202 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yup, thought this was just genuinely okay.

If Tomb Raider had been released after The Last of Us, the reviews would be nowhere as kind.

Trouble is, whilst Uncharted took inspiration from a number of things, Tomb Raider included, the new Tomb Raider however, took its inspiration from Uncharted and very little else.

Uncharted did this THREE TIMES before Lara's latest adventure came along. That is another reason why I wasn't overly impressed.
  • spamdangled 26 Jul 2013 20:46:48 27,276 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    I thought it was poorly paced, ugly, bad gameplay, and constantly frustrating.
    Agree with the pacing. It was really off. And also about the gameplay. It didn't feel like you were exploring the world, because you were just funnelled through it, corridor-game style, to the next big cover-based gunfight, which were so prevalent that game was far more about a shooting things and hardly about exploration and puzzle-solving at all, and what scant puzzles there were barely even qualified as the solutions were blatantly obvious and the important items were all clearly highlighted in "instinct vision", or whatever it was called.

It was just really dumbed-down.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Trafford 26 Jul 2013 20:52:56 5,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm about 30% in and am enjoying it a lot.
    Slick good looking game with pleasing mechanics.

I haven't played a TR since the original, but the 3rd person action adventure has become my triple A of choice in recent years.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 26 Jul 2013 21:07:21 6,654 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    the puzzles were too obvious, and infrequent
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 26 Jul 2013 21:12:52 6,654 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You're going to have a groundhog day with this argument aren't you :D
  • Trafford 26 Jul 2013 21:18:38 5,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not sure if too much shooting in a game is going to turn me into a jaded cynic.
    Maybe I don't play enough games. Uncharted was okay, I shelved 2 for some reason and 3, despite being free will likely never get played.
    Holy Cow!
  • M83J01P97 26 Jul 2013 21:22:56 6,596 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Currently in the middle of replaying the Uncharted series and I have to say, Goodfella is bang on.

I didn't really think about it while playing Tomb Raider seeing as I hadn't played any of the Uncharted games for a long time before hand, but it seems really obvious to me that all three Uncharted games actually did a better job at a near enough identical sort of game before the new Tomb Raider even came along.

Seems a shame the reboot didn't just go back to it's roots and dump Lara in a series of huge tombs for us to explore/escape... you know, like the games title kind of suggests?
  • M83J01P97 26 Jul 2013 21:31:58 6,596 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It wasn't a terrible game at all... it just felt more like the multi-platform Uncharted with a pair of very average tits and none of the one liners.
  • TheBlackDog 26 Jul 2013 21:48:34 384 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm not that far in and haven't played Uncharted but to me its playing like a Fisher Price version of Far Cry 3 (just because of the shooting animals with a bow comparison). I suppose there is a way to turn-off the button prompts (at least I hope there is) because they are annoying me too.

At one point, I'd just been introduced to a "technique" (yeah, I'm talking about pressing X) and I thought, OK, I can do that, got the hang of that one. Soon after, I got to a bit where I thought I'd get to have a go myself, without needing to be prompted, and turns out I'd just been lead in to a scripted bit of falling off a cliff (I'm assuming I wasn't meant to be able to use my new-found X pressing ability).

For the next hour, it was just telling me what button to press all the time - it felt like that electronic game Simon with the 4 coloured buttons. Still, I like the pretty pictures.

Edited by TheBlackDog at 21:49:30 26-07-2013
  • spamdangled 26 Jul 2013 22:02:39 27,276 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Not sure if too much shooting in a game is going to turn me into a jaded cynic.
    Maybe I don't play enough games. Uncharted was okay, I shelved 2 for some reason and 3, despite being free will likely never get played.
    Holy Cow!
    I don't think I ever bothered finishing Uncharted 3, about halfway through I was just finding it incredibly tedious. But if it follows the pattern established by the previous games in the serious then the second half will be substantially worse anyway, so I doubt I'm missing much.

Also never got round to finishing the Vita game, for largely the same reason.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• mcmothercruncher 26 Jul 2013 22:08:28 6,823 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It pales in comparison with The Last of Us which, for me at least, has made a genuine paradigm shift in terms of storytelling that is mature and can stand proud against the best that the movie industry has to offer. It's taken TLoU to throw a less than flattering light on previous games' attempts at characterisation and show just how much I was suspending disbelief about the clunkiness of the narratives gaming has presented this generation.

Now, it is probably unfair to single Tomb Raider out. It looks amazing for one and it's good enough fun that I'll probably finish it. But it is ultimately a pastiche of every gaming cliche this generation, mashed together, somewhat roughly, even after patching and ultimately a bit "fluffy" despite the supposedly gritty blood and guts stuff.
    I need to feel really invested in a game in order to pump what little hours I've got spare these days into it. Tomb Raider desperately wants to be a gourmet meal- it has borrowed all of the right ingredients from other games- but it's actually a slightly over cooked high street burger served up with salty chips and a garish toy that'll break inside of a week.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Jul 2013 16:29:13 14,595 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomb Raider 2013
    Console:360
    Skill: normal
    Time: ? 15 hours-ish
    Completion at end screen: 94%

Played and completed over 7 days, so some quite good and long sessions. Overall I did like it a lot. Started off a little slow, a few too many cut scenes and hand holding, also QTE's (which I hate)

After that, a lot to like, I do understand that a lot of fellow EGers found it generic and formulaic, maybe not true to the character, older games ? I'm not a big TR fan at all, so have no interest in the lore. I think CD have done well with their TR games, and I enjoyed Legend and to a lesser amount Underworld. I thought the gunplay and climbing was good and the climbing in particular was not frustrating.

As a action adventure game I found it very polished and most importantly fun, loved the vast open "corridors" and I no doubt will spend some more game time collection the remaining odds and sods. I have no desire to playthrough again mind you. I did think turning the 21 year old Lara into a total bad arse killing machine was handled a little to easy, in the end she was slicing and dicing with glee.

I have not tried the MP and due to the almost universal panning, I doubt I will, but you never know I may spend 10 mins or so at it.

Story was just ok, but then a lot of stories in games are just ok. My previous two games before this were Fuse which was BLAND with a shite narrative and the sublime The Last Of Us, and nothing was going to come close to that experience. Actually with playing TLOU, you almost have to forget you have ever played it, as everything that comes post that game is going to be a letdown. You simply have to let it go…

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 16:30:13 29-07-2013

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• spamdangled 29 Jul 2013 16:39:59 27,276 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

It's not so much that it didn't respect the lore, it's that it didn't respect the spirit of the series.

It's like if Nintendo suddenly made Mario into an FPS game.

I must be the only person as well who doesn't think so highly of TLOU.

Edited by darkmorgado at 16:41:33 29-07-2013

• DUFFMAN5 29 Jul 2013 17:00:07 14,595 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @DUFFMAN5
    Interesting,..Mr Bond, have you made your thoughts known in the LoU thread ?

• spamdangled 29 Jul 2013 17:05:23 27,276 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @DUFFMAN5
    Interesting,..Mr Bond, have you made your thoughts known in the LoU thread ?
    Not sure I would dare, I'd probably be torn to pieces by a hungry mob for saying it ;) (only semi-serious)

• DUFFMAN5 29 Jul 2013 17:16:28 14,595 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @darkmorgado

it is because you don't have children

....JOKING, although I do think it heightens the experience, at least it did for me massively, Ellie was in fact my daughter Phoebe during the game.

I was tearful at the first real cutscene...you know the one.

• spamdangled 29 Jul 2013 17:20:52 27,276 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

Yeah I know the one you mean :)

Not denying the script, characters and performances are utterly excellent, it's the minute-to-minute gameplay that just felt very generic to me (much like Uncharted, actually). It's very much a Naught Dog game - an excellent script and performances covering up the cracks in the actual gameplay mechanics and the repetition of what you're actually doing.

Anyway, it's a discussion for another thread... I'll have a peek at the TLOU thread later :)

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:21:25 29-07-2013

• robthehermit 11 Aug 2013 18:32:50 4,038 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just ordered this. Really looking forward to it, and not put off by the Uncharted comparisons as I don't own a PS3.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• DUFFMAN5 11 Aug 2013 18:36:15 14,595 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Just ordered this. Really looking forward to it, and not put off by the Uncharted comparisons as I don't own a PS3.
    A lot to like Rob, have fun :)
    I passed my copy on via the charity thread, so more EGers could enjoy it.

• frugtkompot 16 Aug 2013 10:01:09 2,819 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Approx. halfway through it now. I think it's a good game with a lot of visual wonders and solid mechanics in its gameplay.

There is however a little too much action and not enough adventure in this action adventure title.
  • Page

of 77 First / Last