News of the World hacking case Page 3

• Page

of 105 First / Last

• RunningMan 4 Jul 2011 20:46:47 2,451 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This getting more and more shocking, really hope a lot of people go down for this.
  • thelzdking 4 Jul 2011 23:08:12 4,413 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A man on Newsnight (Tom Watson MP, I believe) said that he had "good reason" to believe that family members of the two girls murdered by Ian Huntley had their phones hacked too.
  • Deleted user 4 July 2011 23:14:07
    It's fkn disgusting if any of it is proved true. Absolutely abhorrent.
  • Bremenacht 5 Jul 2011 00:01:10 19,666 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's also awful to think that the police knew it had happened and apparently chose to overlook it. Maybe they had good reason to do so, but I can't think of any. If they'd held off, pending the resolution of the murder trial, they'd have had a good week or so to make a potential prosecution for tampering with evidence and/or obstructing a murder inquiry. As it is, the Dowler family will have to prosecute the NotW privately - because the police won't.

Again, it seems that the police were happy to ignore evidence of terrible behaviour, in the interest of hiding their own inadequacy. I still doubt there was any 'new' information discovered during the second investigation.

I do think this news (if true) changes the whole phone-hacking issue. Not only will it get taken more seriously by people who wouldn't otherwise give a shit, but I rather expect that many people at the NI tabloids -or who worked there during the phone-hacking period- will be much more inclined to spill the beans and blow the whistles. Getting up the nose of celebs is one thing, but working to damage the ordinary family of a child murder victim, and jeopardising the hunt for her murderer, is probably too low for most journalists.
  • PearOfAnguish 5 Jul 2011 00:17:20 7,501 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interesting observation from Tabloid Watch

This development is the lead story on the front page of Tuesday's Guardian, Independent and Telegraph. It also makes the front page of the FT and the Times. The Express, Mail, Mirror, Sun and Star make no mention of it on their front pages and consider others stories - such as Cheryl Cole's love life and a scare story about ibuprofen - more important.

Birds of a feather etc
  • Tom_Servo 5 Jul 2011 16:09:30 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    David Hughes: What is the BBC really trying to do with its Milly Dowler coverage?
  • Deleted user 5 July 2011 16:11:05
    To be fair, the Beeb attacking a red top is a hefty reverse of what usually happens.
  • disusedgenius 5 Jul 2011 16:11:32 5,626 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    While the allegations are – in David Cameron’s well-chosen words – “truly dreadful”, do they warrant this level of news overkill?
    The trouble being is that the obvious answer to that is 'yes'.
  • thedaveeyres 5 Jul 2011 16:18:02 11,599 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    David Hughes: What is the BBC really trying to do with its Milly Dowler coverage?

So fucking wrong, I don't know where to start.

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Tom_Servo 5 Jul 2011 16:18:56 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    While the allegations are – in David Cameron’s well-chosen words – “truly dreadful”, do they warrant this level of news overkill?
    The trouble being is that the obvious answer to that is 'yes'.

Make your mind up! ;)
  • Deleted user 5 July 2011 16:24:25
    Yeah, it honestly is one of the most sickening things I think I've heard of with regards to journalism, and I knew they were pretty unscrupulous anyway. It absolutely warrants the attention.
  • Dirtbox 5 Jul 2011 16:26:19 79,216 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The only opinion that really matters

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Popzeus 5 Jul 2011 16:30:50 8,427 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    She's always shocked and bewildered.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Tom_Servo 5 Jul 2011 16:32:28 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rebekah Brooks: "...it is inconceivable that I knew or worse, sanctioned these appalling allegations."

So it comes to the same situation as the Andy Coulson one. Either she's lying or is absolutely incompetent and didn't know what was happening at the paper she was editor of.
  • disusedgenius 5 Jul 2011 16:34:53 5,626 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just don't know why it's "inconceivable". Seems perfectly conceivable to me...

Tom_Servo wrote:
    Make your mind up! ;)

SHUTIT!
  • TheSaint 5 Jul 2011 16:35:30 14,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought the coverage on The Today program and PM yesterday was pretty balanced. They even criticised people who thought it should impact on Murdoch owning all of Sky.

This could easily be a rogue investigator after a scoop rather than an action sanctioned by the editor or News International.
  • thedaveeyres 5 Jul 2011 16:39:20 11,599 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Compare and contrast with Sharon Shoesmith (of Baby P infamy)...

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• disusedgenius 5 Jul 2011 16:42:10 5,626 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    This could easily be a rogue investigator after a scoop rather than an action sanctioned by the editor or News International.
    'Sanctioned' I agree, 'know' is very dubious though. Even so it says a lot about the culture of these places (I don't for a minute believe that the NotW is alone in all this) whichever way.
  • MightyMouse 5 Jul 2011 16:43:58 1,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, confirmed parents of the Soham victims had their phones hacked. Bleh, just sick.
  • Bremenacht 5 Jul 2011 16:45:52 19,666 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Rebekah Brooks: "...it is inconceivable that I knew or worse, sanctioned these appalling allegations."

So it comes to the same situation as the Andy Coulson one. Either she's lying or is absolutely incompetent and didn't know what was happening at the paper she was editor of.
    That raises the stakes. Whoever worked for her at the time will know for sure that they'll be hung out to dry in order to maintain her integrity.
  • Bremenacht 5 Jul 2011 16:48:42 19,666 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MightyMouse wrote:
    Yup, confirmed parents of the Soham victims had their phones hacked. Bleh, just sick.
    Vile.

Strong words from Theresa May there:

The home secretary told a committee of MPs on Tuesday afternoon: "I think it's totally shocking; frankly, it's disgusting. The mindset of somebody who thinks it's appropriate to do that is totally sick."

NI will have a hard job 'fixing' these two horrible stories.
  • Deleted user 5 July 2011 16:53:03
    Anyone seen this massive hypocrisy?
  • Popzeus 5 Jul 2011 16:53:29 8,427 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Brooks's denial of involvement is laughable. Phone hacking was clearly an accepted part of newsroom culture at the Screws for years, and there's no way the editor wouldn't have known it was going on.

• TheSaint 5 Jul 2011 16:55:41 14,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One aspect of this case that deserves more attention is why the police ignored all this evidence the first time around. Maybe the lead detective will mention something about it in his Times column.
  • Tom_Servo 5 Jul 2011 16:55:44 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    News overkill
  • kentmonkey 5 Jul 2011 16:56:09 20,935 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is absolutely appalling what has happened.

I think we should all call NOTW and complain. Or at the very least leave a message on our voicemails.
  • MetalDog 5 Jul 2011 16:57:45 23,920 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Anyone seen this massive hypocrisy?

It may be hypocrisy on his part, but there's no reason his wife and kids should suffer for his actions.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Tom_Servo 5 Jul 2011 16:57:57 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I read that people have been phoning up and shouting "CUNT" :D
  • Popzeus 5 Jul 2011 17:00:38 8,427 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not that I'd condone such behaviour but it is tempting given that they have a freephone number 0800 010373

• Deleted user 5 July 2011 17:06:58
    Skip to 7 minutes or so in
  • Page

of 105 First / Last