of 249 First / Last

• Tom_Servo 8 Feb 2012 12:43:15 17,986 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Walt.
  • Flightrisker 8 Feb 2012 12:51:49 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What mysteries were there about Walt in season one? His step-dad thought he was weird but also clearly just saw him as baggage, and the Others wanted him which seems to be clear later was due to the inability to procreate on the island.
  • Tom_Servo 8 Feb 2012 12:52:57 17,986 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He was pretty clearly magical in some way.
  • nickthegun 8 Feb 2012 12:55:37 60,135 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They wanted him because he was a potential replacement for that guy.

Which was then almost immediately contradicted as they were all potential replacements for that guy but none of them made birds come back to life or any other freaky stuff bar winning the lottery.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• nickthegun 8 Feb 2012 12:57:24 60,135 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Actually, come to think of it, I know it was a major plot point but did they ever explain why no one could have kids on the island?

• Flightrisker 8 Feb 2012 12:59:27 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But he wasn't. That was one of the best things in lost which a lot seem to fporget and just get frustrated about.

The Island is metal?!
    Well no there's just an underground bunker.
    Oh... Wait, WHAT'S THAT LIGHT COMING OUT OF IT!?
    Desmond turned the light on.

Walt wasn't magical (at least in season one which is what I was addressing). Sure in seasons 2 and 4 there was some very odd Walt stuff they they never came back to, him talking to Shannon backways, him appearing to Locke. They could have just written that off as being the MIB but they seemed to imply that he can only be dead people.

Don't get me wrong, you could write a book about unfinished stands of stories in Lost but I was just addressing the idea that season one left anything open. I just rewatched it and was amazed at how little actually happens in that season.
  • Flightrisker 8 Feb 2012 13:01:30 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Actually, come to think of it, I know it was a major plot point but did they ever explain why no one could have kids on the island?
    It was only since the incident so I imagine the radioactivness of the place.
  • Tom_Servo 8 Feb 2012 13:03:33 17,986 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What about the stuff with the bird hitting the window in the flashback? I know they explained the polar bear in a later season, but I think that was a bit of a retcon and was supposed to be linked to Walt in some way.
  • nickthegun 8 Feb 2012 13:07:37 60,135 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Magic radiation that didnt result in sickness and death of the rest of the inhabitants.

• Flightrisker 8 Feb 2012 13:08:02 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    What about the stuff with the bird hitting the window in the flashback? I know they explained the polar bear in a later season, but I think that was a bit of a retcon and was supposed to be linked to Walt in some way.
    I'm pretty sure there was a big story meant for Walt that for whatever reason got nuked. As it stands all we have is that a bird hit a window. It further's the stepdad's story of thinking Walt is weird and wanting to get rid of him. Ultimately I guess he would have been vindicated as we'd find out (or probably not lol) what was actually up with him. As it stands we just have some interesting backstory on how the dad didn't really like Walt.
  • Flightrisker 8 Feb 2012 13:09:36 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Magic radiation that didnt result in sickness and death of the rest of the inhabitants.
    Yes magic radiation. The same magicness that meant that a wheel under the island could teleport someone half way across the world. I genuinely can't understand why people seem to expect logical answers from a scifi show.
  • nickthegun 8 Feb 2012 13:16:27 60,135 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Because a TV show has to have and obey its own internal logic otherwise its just a collection of bullshitty events that have no consequence.

Plus, since you dont know and just made up 'radiation', so its got nothing to do with the logic of the show.

• Tom_Servo 8 Feb 2012 13:20:11 17,986 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    I'm pretty sure there was a big story meant for Walt that for whatever reason got nuked. As it stands all we have is that a bird hit a window. It further's the stepdad's story of thinking Walt is weird and wanting to get rid of him. Ultimately I guess he would have been vindicated as we'd find out (or probably not lol) what was actually up with him. As it stands we just have some interesting backstory on how the dad didn't really like Walt.
    Wasn't it abandoned because they hadn't planned it properly and realised that the guy playing Walt would look older faster than the adult actors on the show?

You know fine well that Walt was set up as being 'magical' in some way, there's no point denying it and saying "all we have is that a bird hit a window" like it was some fan theory and not a pretty obvious set-up for a future storyline.

The mystical stuff around Walt was something that was never explained, and in fact just abandoned. I remember it in fact being one of the things people were talking about during season one. So yeah, I'm still of the opinion that the weird stuff around Walt was something from season one that was never explained. :)
  • Flightrisker 8 Feb 2012 13:42:49 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Because a TV show has to have and obey its own internal logic otherwise its just a collection of bullshitty events that have no consequence.

Plus, since you dont know and just made up 'radiation', so its got nothing to do with the logic of the show.
    We know it started after the incident. We know the incident involved some kind of radiation leak on the island. Not a huge leap to connect the two. It's not explicitly explained but that's what I like about the show. It's just meant that people have an impression that nothing was every answered. The about of people still going on about that fucking polar bear...

@DG Not denying that Walt was magic. I do think most of that came from season 2 though. Every single show ever is like that though. It just becomes more glarring when you're trying to make a scifi mystery show on a weird island and not a generic cop drama. Not gonna hold that against them.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Feb 2012 13:43:43 24,562 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What wasup with the dead doctor floating to the island before he actually died again?

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• andywilkie35 8 Feb 2012 13:45:13 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    What wasup with the dead doctor floating to the island before he actually died again?
    something to do with a slight shift in time between the island and the boat I believe...dunno for sure though!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Tom_Servo 8 Feb 2012 13:47:04 17,986 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    He came in at some random angle, so the time shifted. You had to come in at specific coordinates (the ones Ben gave to Michael and Walt when they were leaving the island at the end of season two) or you could end up in the future or the past. I think it got worse the more off you were from the coordinates.

Faraday's experiment where he shot the message in a bottle off explained that one, IIRC.

Edited by Tom_Servo at 13:47:52 08-02-2012
  • andywilkie35 8 Feb 2012 13:47:41 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought the bird thing with Walt was something to do with him looking at a picture of a bird and then getting angry, then it seemed as though he "summoned" the bird, same as with him reading the comic with the polar bear and getting angry when Michael takes it away, then a polar bear appears.

Of course then they explained the polar bears in a different way so to me the whole Walt stuff was just massively abandoned and buried I guess.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• nickthegun 8 Feb 2012 13:50:22 60,135 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    We know it started after the incident. We know the incident involved some kind of radiation leak on the island. Not a huge leap to connect the two.
    It is because it makes absolutely no sense at all.

• Flightrisker 8 Feb 2012 14:08:50 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    We know it started after the incident. We know the incident involved some kind of radiation leak on the island. Not a huge leap to connect the two.
    It is because it makes absolutely no sense at all.

But.... none of the show makes sense... that's kinda the point... Why is there an alternate universe in Fringe? How can they get into peoples dreams in Inception?

There was a radioactive leak on a time shifting island. One of the effects of that was that becoming pregnant and carrying it to term was not possible. Why does that need to be explained in any more detail than that. It's not real. There is no answer that will make you go.. "Oh right now it makes sense".
  • Tom_Servo 8 Feb 2012 14:13:04 17,986 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    none of the show makes sense... that's kinda the point
    God, I hope not.
  • Flightrisker 8 Feb 2012 14:17:34 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    none of the show makes sense... that's kinda the point
    God, I hope not.
    In that the science it portrays is that of fiction.
  • Flightrisker 8 Feb 2012 14:19:00 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do love how a show about the conflicts between people of science and people of faith lead to the exact same arguements online.

WHY DO YOU FIND IT SO HARD TO BELIEVE ANYTHING!?
    WHY DO YO FIND IT SO EASY?!
    IT'S NEVER BEEN EASY!
  • nickthegun 8 Feb 2012 14:19:25 60,135 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most of the show makes sense within its own internal logic otherwise it would be a hodgepodge of shite that no one would watch.

The time shifting island and most of the other fantastical things were explained, to a fashion, within the confines of the show. The pregnancy issue was not.

Having an alternate universe within fringe has been explained. How they get into peoples dreams in inception has been explained. You are confusing sci-fi concepts with shit storytelling.

The whole of the genre is based around fantastic concepts but they need context within the story. We can accept warp drive because it is a well established concept. However if a unicorn appeared out of nowhere, with no explanation, at the end of wrath of khan and magicked spock out of the warp chamber you could just shrug and say 'well its sci-fi. We have accepted a satellite that can make planets, so I have to accept this stupid fucking fantasy animal ruining the plot'.

Its like excusing an action film for having a crap story with 'its only a dumb action film'. It sells sci-fi short and the people who watch it.

• chopsen 8 Feb 2012 14:45:33 16,087 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I many be wrong here<, but I always felt sci-fi kind of necessitates some fairly tight kind of internal logic, hence the "sci" bit. Otherwise it's just surrealistic fantasy. In any case, any story needs to be internally consistent to be able to have narrative. Otherwise it's just the same as some drunkards rambling in the back of a taxi.

edit: I many be wrong? ffs

Edited by Chopsen at 14:51:13 08-02-2012
  • Flightrisker 8 Feb 2012 15:01:10 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think we have to agree to disagree on whether they explained the pregnancy issue or not. As I see it they explained it enough for how big a plot device it was. I mean if the show was called Pregnancy Fail island and was specifically about the fact that there was an island where you could not conceive and carry to term then yeah I'd be a bit annoyed that the explanation was not a little more solid.
  • Salaman 8 Feb 2012 15:06:54 19,131 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aaaargghh ... clicking this thread and reading the last page has given me a sudden flashback of that blond aussie chick that did manage to drop a sprog on the island.

"Maaaaai Bay-beee!"

*shudders*
  • nickthegun 8 Feb 2012 15:09:36 60,135 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, several entire episodes were devoted to it, Suns entire character arc almost entirely revolved around it and it was the whole reason Juliet was on the island, so I would be inclined to say that it deserved at least some explanation.

• Flightrisker 8 Feb 2012 15:09:37 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Aaaargghh ... clicking this thread and reading the last page has given me a sudden flashback of that blond aussie chick that did manage to drop a sprog on the island.

"Maaaaai Bay-beee!"

*shudders*

CHaaaaaaaaaaaaay-lee! They toowk Aaaaaaaaarin!
  • Flightrisker 8 Feb 2012 15:10:34 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Well, several entire episodes were devoted to it, Suns entire character arc almost entirely revolved around it and it was the whole reason Juliet was on the island, so I would be inclined to say that it deserved at least some explanation.
    I don't have the time/energy for this :) Show's over folks, little value in complaining about things now. Enjoy the memories or move on.
  • Page

of 249 First / Last