• Page

of 15 First / Last

Previous
  • Venkman90 24 Mar 2009 09:04:38 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/965/965535p1.html

Ok, so hyperbole, but:

The cool thing here is that your only requirement is a capable internet connection and some sort of computer. In theory, you should be able to play Crysis on a netbook. A handful of us have played the game, at its highest settings, on a MacBook Air with the service. Not only is the game not normally available on the Mac (outside of running Boot Camp), but the MacBook Air is hardly a gaming device, and yet we were able to hop in and play it as smoothly as a nicely-specced machine. We also played Burnout Paradise on a similarly-equipped PC laptop, and despite how quick that game is, it ran and played fine as well.

It sounds too good to be true, the only thing would be the net connection needed for high res...but still!

• Xerx3s 24 Mar 2009 09:16:04 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, good luck with that when you have a game that sells a couple of million copies.
  • Cloudane 24 Mar 2009 09:24:40 1,974 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is the kind of idea that I would welcome so very much to the point of getting rid of my PlayStation 3 and Wii altogether.

The broadband bill will be slightly dearer (30 for 20Mb for example) but it will - in the long term - save money and reduce the hassle of console gaming in general.

I think this is an absolutely superb idea however, I do not see this kind of service taking off quite as well as it deserves unfortunately as the broadband infrastructure in many countries is just simply not up to it.

You can read more about OnLive on the Game Daily website:

Introducing OnLive... and the End of Consoles?

Now, where can I sign-up for the OnLive service?

:D
  • Cloudane 24 Mar 2009 09:30:37 1,974 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Extra latency just to press a button. Always.

Huh?
  • Benno 24 Mar 2009 09:31:49 9,813 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That sounds pretty special.
  • crwoody 24 Mar 2009 09:32:28 2,610 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But is the UK broadband network really up to this sort of thing?
    I expect lag in multiplayer gaming, but in single player?
  • Deleted user 24 March 2009 09:33:05
    This will never work for so many reasons.
  • Benno 24 Mar 2009 09:51:48 9,813 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who went crazy over Killzone input lag? it was the deadzone that made it rubbish
  • Cloudane 24 Mar 2009 09:56:24 1,974 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm a complete pleb.

I assumed you could play any game on the OnLive service including - [I]don't laugh[/I] - Nintendo and Sony (first party) games.

The idea is good but it is a bit rubbish to me now.

[I]*hugs my PS3 and Wii*[/I]

:)
  • Benno 24 Mar 2009 09:57:22 9,813 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh, nah I wouldn't sell your consoles yet :)
  • Daymare 24 Mar 2009 10:06:32 323 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What year is this?!
  • roz123 24 Mar 2009 10:31:36 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    disc, what are you trying to say?
    They are playing games that would not usually run at all on that machine, a few fps isnt going to bother anyone in that situation.
  • seasidebaz 24 Mar 2009 10:33:50 6,126 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This was demoed YEARS ago. They had Quake 3 running multiplayer on a Sky box.
  • pjmaybe 24 Mar 2009 10:37:12 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    disc, what are you trying to say?
    They are playing games that would not usually run at all on that machine, a few fps isnt going to bother anyone in that situation.

You dont know many PC gamers do you?
  • Res 24 Mar 2009 10:43:54 1,814 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can already do this yourself, I believe people have even had PC games (streaming from their own PC) running on a PS3 through Linux. However as disc said the latency issues mean it isn't the best solution at the moment.
  • Benno 24 Mar 2009 10:57:34 9,813 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Actually hey. You can test this shit right now. This is what the PSP does with Remote Play.

Try playing a game.

Good point. The input lag on remote play is very annoying and would be no good for competetive online play
  • Dougs 24 Mar 2009 13:18:38 67,016 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, just read about this. Phantom, was my first thought. Nice idea, doubt much will come of it though
  • Darren 24 Mar 2009 13:29:47 8,752 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A 720p resolution would require a constant connection speed of 5 Mbps... how many people here in the UK have that? I certainly don't. My own up to 8 Mbps connection can vary quite dramatically depending on what time of day it is and how many of my neighbours I'm sharing the bandwidth with. 90% of the time I can't even stream medium-quality, heavily compressed 720p videos for example without them pausing intermittently.

I guess the good thing about this service is that everyone can try it at some point to see how it works through their ISP. I can only hope that these trials are free though and that you don't have to pay to actually sample it.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• bolsterstar 24 Mar 2009 21:40:44 53 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    this could be quite spectacular
  • Khanivor 24 Mar 2009 22:00:19 40,490 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It would work with games like the Sims or some such, where latency isn't a big deal. Shit, where the latency in the brain of the person playing the game is orders of magnitude higher than a dial-up modem.

Another pitfall is that if one person is playing a game they would have to make sure no one uses another PC in the house for anything other than email.

Etc.

What happened to the Phantom again?
  • doomster71 25 Mar 2009 02:28:32 44 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think this thing is a great idea. My laptop is now 3-4 years old (centrino 2gig, geforce 6800go) so there is no way I could play crisis (it actually runs like crap on the lowest settings). This would alow me to play the game on my lappy/ hd tv. I'm on sky llu 16 meg and they are about to do upgrades to 24 meg. I should get close to that coz my exchange is right accross the road. So bandwidth shouldn't be a problem with me. I just hope it does'nt cost an arm and a leg.
  • ecureuil 25 Mar 2009 02:33:33 76,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It'll work, and it'll be great. Problem is, I can't see it being feasible for another 15 years.

You laugh now, but I think this can become reality, eventually.
  • Bremenacht 25 Mar 2009 02:57:31 17,687 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Didn't realise this already had a thread.

If this tech could be done well, it would already be running in browsers or custom media players. It isn't. The picture quality you're going to get will be heavily compromised - so much so that it'd probably work out cheaper over a year to buy a low-spec PC and run the same games off that. Or a console. How will they compete with 99 xbox 360's that offer better visuals? Or Wiis with their non-standard controls?

Oh - I see on the IGN link that you pay for a subscription and you pay for buying titles or renting them. That won't be cheap. It's not the 'Play As You Go' I thought it would be.

• VectorWarrior 25 Mar 2009 02:59:03 176 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The publishers have a big interest in this because it effectively rules out piracy and second hand game sales. It isn't feasible yet for obvious reasons but I think we'll definitely see this technology used in some way in the future.
  • Bremenacht 25 Mar 2009 03:17:52 17,687 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    720p = 1280x720. What colour depth are console or typical GPU graphics displayed at? 24 bits per pixel? More? Let's assume colour depth is irrelevant here. 1280x720= about 900Kbits per frame. They say a 5megabit line is fine for HD displays, so how many fps will this thing display? 5?

Something will be heavily compromised in order for it to work. If you're happy to put up with a poor display, you may as well run games on an old machine with all the effects turned low or off. (Or are my calculations irrelevant?)
  • AaronTurner 25 Mar 2009 07:47:20 7,669 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    720p = 1280x720. What colour depth are console or typical GPU graphics displayed at? 24 bits per pixel? More? Let's assume colour depth is irrelevant here. 1280x720= about 900Kbits per frame. They say a 5megabit line is fine for HD displays, so how many fps will this thing display? 5?

Something will be heavily compromised in order for it to work. If you're happy to put up with a poor display, you may as well run games on an old machine with all the effects turned low or off. (Or are my calculations irrelevant?)

As you can recieve HD telly over broadband I'd say irrelevant.
  • FWB 25 Mar 2009 08:05:14 44,071 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been posting this will happen on here for a few year snow and got laughed at. Maybe I still will be, but I'm sticking by it. The future is streaming. The future will be a monitor on your desk, with just the minimal of hardware. It's a natural progression and will be embraced by developers if only for the simple fact it'll pretty much wipe out piracy. Not sure if this can be implemented now, but TBH I don't know much about the details of the tech so can't really comment.
  • seasidebaz 25 Mar 2009 08:17:34 6,126 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    As you can recieve HD telly over broadband I'd say irrelevant.
    No you can't! What service offers IPHDTV? I know BT are getting it one day for BT Vision, but apparently that's a looooong way off. You need at least a 10Mb line to do it.
  • AaronTurner 25 Mar 2009 08:17:57 7,669 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess this will be the xbox 720 too what with Microsofts knowledge of servers etc.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last

Previous