Electricity & Gas bills Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Deleted user 2 December 2008 03:26:01
    I pay 360 p/m for my room + bathroom in a shared house, that includes tax + all other bills etc. Used to pay around 550 a month for rent & all bills in a studio flat that was actually smaller than the space I have now.. From what I remember my electricity used to be around 50 a quarter.

For anyone trying to cut down on there electricity bills, laptops, consoles, tv's etc use bugger all when compared to electric heaters or cookers. Every electrical item will have its Kw rating on it somewhere and from that + your electric bill you can work out how much they cost per hour to run. For example I had a 2kw heater and I was paying I think 13p p/kwh so it would cost me 26p an hour to run the heater... In contrast my 32" HDTV is 150watt or 0.15kw when running so that would cost me just 1.6p per hour to use..
  • rudedudejude 2 Dec 2008 16:26:17 2,242 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Small 2 bed double glazed flat, I pay around 100-160 a quarter. Am quite careful with leccy use, dont have radiators on in rooms I don't use, etc.
  • PinkSpider 2 Dec 2008 16:39:43 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /shudders.

I'd read it! It could be miles out, what with deemed COS reads... /stops being a geek.

Just check it!

With npower we are currently 70 in credit, which is nice. Going to be getting that back soon.
  • TheSaint 2 Dec 2008 16:41:34 14,724 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Be glad she didn't price fix in the summer like Martin Lewis suggested or you would be paying at least 10% more now and for the next however many years even when the prices drop.

The energy companies must be really glad that he told everyone to agree to long term expensive contracts last summer when prices were at the highest for years.
  • Lutz 2 Dec 2008 16:45:04 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Our quartly bill just arrived covering Sept, Oct and Nov. Elec was 110 and gas was 86.

Our fixed lower rate ended at the end of Sept, so we've paid the full rate for 2 months. Don't want to go to a capped yet as the prices are gonna go down.

Luckily we were 300 in credit too, as we pay 65 a month DD, and it built up a lot over the summer. :)

3 bid mid terrace BTW, 2 people except at weekends when it's 4 and a baby.

For saving cash on electic don't look to your gadgets; it's ANYTHING that heats anything up. Hairdryers, washers, irons, kettles etc. Some electric heaters are pretty cheap though. Vacuum cleaners are also a bit more costly than you'd think on a per hour basis. Light bulbs are costly too if you leave them on all the time. Get dimmer ones, or get energy savers (Few ways of getting these for free too)

Leaving my TV (46" LCD) on for 24hours solid uses about 1.10 of elec. My iron uses that in 2 hours IIRC.

Turning your heating down is a good one too. Apparently the average home is set to 25! I was at 24 before I turned it down, which was to 22 degrees.
    Swapped washing powder to that one that can be used at 30 degrees.

And the standby thing is *generally* bollocks, but not always. Again my TV uses about 0.05p of elec a day in standby mode. But then my dad has a microwave that when "idle" with just an LCD clock ticking costs 32p a day to run. Hey ho.
  • Dougs 2 Dec 2008 16:46:00 69,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I'm a little concerned about ours too. Probably due a bill anytime now, last one was July (for a month!). Have been sticking 150 a month aside for bills though
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 2 Dec 2008 17:06:09 7,014 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Riiiiight.

** THIS EMAIL IS GENERATED FROM AN UNMANNED MAILBOX. WE ARE UNABLE TO RESPOND TO ANY REPLIES TO THIS MESSAGE. THANK YOU. **

Customer Name: xxxxxx
    Account number: xxxxx
    Date: 02 December 2008

Dear xxxxxxx

You may have heard in the press that wholesale energy prices have risen considerably in recent months. ScottishPower has tried to absorb these costs for as long as possible to minimise the effect on you.

However, we have recently had to review our position and on 1st September 2008# our energy prices increased.

Please note: Customers on 2010 Price Guarantee, 2010 PriceStepper, Fix For Free, Fixed Price Energy 2011 and all Fixed Price Energy 2009 products are unaffected by this price increase.

To view your new prices go to www.scottishpower.co.uk/Home_Energy/Product_Prices/. They will also appear on page 2 of your next bill.

Meter reading reminder - only pay for the energy you use!

It is now time to update your meter readings via our website. You must do this within the next 10 days to avoid an estimated bill and to ensure you're paying the right amount.

Simply go to http://www.scottishpower.co.uk/EnterMeterReads and login.

Then all you need to do is:

- Enter your readings in the boxes provided and click "Next"
    - Then remember to 'Submit' (or 'Pay Bill' button, if you pay by debit card), if you don't your readings and bill will not be stored.

Your detailed statement will be available to view online within 2-3 days.

Whilst a meter reader may call to check your meter please continue to provide your readings regularly to ensure you only pay for the energy you use.

If you have any problems help is available at www.scottishpower.co.uk - just click "Help" at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Neil Clitheroe
    Customer Service Director
    ScottishPower: The Energy People

To view our latest Standards of Service and Fuel Mix Disclosure go to http://www.scottishpower.co.uk/standards

#You have the right to end your contract and have 10 working days from receipt of this email to do so. If you do that, and the transfer of supplier process begins no later than 15 working days after you inform us, the new prices will not apply.

/emails this link to Scottish Power
  • Dougs 2 Dec 2008 17:13:11 69,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So they're not even bothering their arse to come and read the meter for you?
  • PinkSpider 2 Dec 2008 17:15:25 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    So their not even bothering their arse to come and read the meter for you?
    They have to every couple of years. Infact it goes against them if they dont have so many meter reads (and they cant balance their own books). Also; there has to be a safety check once every two years.

Many jobs fail though, usually due to people being out/ meters being inaccessable etc. We sent out jobs for most sites twice a year, sometimes four times (if it's a big site then it's montly).

/hates people telling me they dont have to do our job.

Also; its in your T&C's.

etc.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 2 Dec 2008 17:17:08 7,014 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:

It's more the fact that the cunts are putting prices up when the price of oil has crashed through the floor.
  • Dougs 2 Dec 2008 17:18:51 69,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:

It's more the fact that the cunts are putting prices up when the price of oil has crashed through the floor.

Yeah I know, but I was also struck by the fact that you had to read your meter yourself and send them it. Cheeky beggers all round imo.

Also, apologies for the their/they're mix up. Shameful
  • rudedudejude 2 Dec 2008 17:19:31 2,242 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I heard the reasons for this was because gas and electricity have to price 4-8 months ahead of the market or something.

So it does not matter in the slightest what is going on with oil/gas prices currently, the price you are paying now is for energy they purchased around 6 months ago.

So savings will come along, they just ain't as responsive as other markets as they have to plan their orders more carefully.
  • PinkSpider 2 Dec 2008 17:19:52 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    Dougs wrote:

Also; they buy their gas/ leccy 14 months in advance... (as per the industry process).

So erm yea.

/still hates having to pay loads but still I dont think people realise this. It's how the industry works. They work out how much people use, settle on it (buy it) then you use it. It's how the industry works so that it all balances out (they try and get it so enough power is produced every half hour).
  • Dougs 2 Dec 2008 17:20:18 69,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PinkSpider wrote:
    They have to every couple of years. Infact it goes against them if they dont have so many meter reads (and they cant balance their own books). Also; there has to be a safety check once every two years.

Many jobs fail though, usually due to people being out/ meters being inaccessable etc. We sent out jobs for most sites twice a year, sometimes four times (if it's a big site then it's montly).

/hates people telling me they dont have to do our job.

Also; its in your T&C's.

etc.

I personally don't mind doing it, it's easier for me. Just that some (like the elderly) would struggle to do that
  • PinkSpider 2 Dec 2008 17:21:52 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indeed, we do sympathise with them when they ring in and try and arrange jobs to suit them. Alot of people book jobs with us after this then arent in though or dont have a key or something, which is always nice as they take a couple of weeks to go out then a week or so to get the results back.

/has worst job ever.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 2 Dec 2008 17:22:20 7,014 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Surely if the price has crashed through the floor now they should be able to maintain prices at the same level now knowing that it'll balance itself out in a year?
  • PinkSpider 2 Dec 2008 17:24:32 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But will it, prices of stuff are all over the place. (I actually have no idea, I just know the energy you use now was purchased 14 months ago).

Also; on the reading thing suppliers get into trouble if they are settling on less than 97% readings. Something which I think none are (although we are getting pretty close).
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 2 Dec 2008 17:25:56 7,014 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not actually that bothered as I fixed my rate yonks ago until next year but it does seem a bit rich!
  • Dougs 2 Dec 2008 17:29:48 69,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PinkSpider wrote:
    But will it, prices of stuff are all over the place. (I actually have no idea, I just know the energy you use now was purchased 14 months ago).

If that's the case, then we are going to be paying much more in August next year (when it hit $125 a barrel). 14 months ago it was $70, not that much higher than the average for 07.
  • PinkSpider 2 Dec 2008 17:32:49 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Possibly. They will put the prices down for a while I think though (I think they all had to promise this).

I personally dont keep a track of prices tbh, just the data we settle on. And I think we base out figures on 6-7p a unit. Possibly high end of 7p. (Then you probably have to factor in around 60 quid to send a meter reader/ operator out a few times a year and some other stuff).
  • Dougs 2 Dec 2008 17:35:31 69,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I tried to work out the other week whether it was worth me switching to another supplier. Gave up in the end, they all use such different stages before the price per unit goes up. Even one of those comparison things didn't help much, as the price per unit was different to the one they used once you dug deeper.
  • Dougs 2 Dec 2008 17:37:23 69,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PinkSpider wrote:
    (Then you probably have to factor in around 60 quid to send a meter reader/ operator out a few times a year and some other stuff).

Do suppliers offer deals where you can limit the impact of these overheads (such as sending your own reading in?). Much like a reduction for paperless billing etc. They should do as a product differentiator.
  • PinkSpider 2 Dec 2008 17:45:22 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I dont think we are legally allowed to. Also you need to send the meter operator out to confirm the meter technical details/ fix meter stuff etc.

Technically a customer read will cover the 2 year safety check but not sending a reader out would lead to stuff like meters being tampered with (which happens quite a bit).

Also; I'm no good at finding the good suppliers either. I'm with npower because they give me 100 Asda vouchers once a year. However usually the old regional supplier for your area is usually the most expensive (so npower for Yorkshire, Midlands (I think) and wherever that other region are from).
  • Razer 2 Dec 2008 18:01:23 1,078 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lavalant wrote:
    And if you have trouble paying, they put you on a pre-pay meter, where they charge you more! for being POOR!!! I find the whole thing so disgusting I feel like packin heat!!

This isn't completely true. The cost of electric and gas through a pre pay meter is exactly the same as paying by quarterly cash/cheque.

The problem is, you pay a 'standing charge' on prepay meters, which is collected daily on top of your usage. This is seen as making it more expensive, but couldn't be further from the truth, as your units are cheaper than on a quarterly meter.

The only difference being when you pay by Direct Debit - as this gives you discounts and opens up options like price protection, online billing, etc.

• jenguin 2 Dec 2008 18:01:52 154 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.ebico.co.uk/index.php

Non-profit electricity company - same rates (cheaper than everyone else according to youswitch for me) whether you are a prepaid meter or quarterly bill or monthly dd.

No penalties for not paying direct debit.

J
  • autogunner 2 Dec 2008 20:14:28 119 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    um for what its worth i live in a 5 person student house and we are expecting the bill to come to about 100 pound per person for the year give or take. we arnt exactly frugal with heating etc, though my enormus PC currently uses the bulk of the meter spins...just dont tell anyone
  • Khanivor 2 Dec 2008 21:52:41 41,121 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you're living space is cold insulate the fucker. Simply putting up some sheets to split up the area works wonders as you're not trying to heat the entire volume all at once. Also, eliminate drafts.

Pick which windows you'd like to be able to open in the summer then paint all the other shut. Seal them up good; use a window sealant along all the edges then whack some paint over the top for good measure. You should also be able to find plastic sheets that you can use to cover single glazed windows. It's essentially cling film and comes in a kit. Double sided sticky tape along the window frame, cut out the right size of plastic and stick it in place. Use a hairdryer to tighten it up. Costs fuck all and works wonders. You can still see though it just fine and most folk won't even notice it's there unless they are looking for it. Obviously heavy curtains work wonders too.

Also, get some non-industrial expanding foam to seal up any holes between say the baseboard and the floor, in joins in cupboards and so on. Seal the house up good and tight. Spend a wee bit of money and time and not only will you be warmer and be giving less money to power company cunts but you'll be doing the planet a wee bit of good as well.

Also, anyone that doesn't have all their major electronics other than the fridge/freezer plugged into power strips which get switched off when not in use is a flid.
  • Deleted user 2 December 2008 22:06:54
    Very interesting and valuable contributions, cheers all. :)
  • Khanivor 2 Dec 2008 22:30:57 41,121 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just going to repost this in case some people don't save money thanks to the curse of the bottom page post:

If you're living space is cold insulate the fucker. Simply putting up some sheets to split up the area works wonders as you're not trying to heat the entire volume all at once. Also, eliminate drafts.

Pick which windows you'd like to be able to open in the summer then paint all the other shut. Seal them up good; use a window sealant along all the edges then whack some paint over the top for good measure. You should also be able to find plastic sheets that you can use to cover single glazed windows. It's essentially cling film and comes in a kit. Double sided sticky tape along the window frame, cut out the right size of plastic and stick it in place. Use a hairdryer to tighten it up. Costs fuck all and works wonders. You can still see though it just fine and most folk won't even notice it's there unless they are looking for it. Obviously heavy curtains work wonders too.

Also, get some non-industrial expanding foam to seal up any holes between say the baseboard and the floor, in joins in cupboards and so on. Seal the house up good and tight. Spend a wee bit of money and time and not only will you be warmer and be giving less money to power company cunts but you'll be doing the planet a wee bit of good as well.

Also, anyone that doesn't have all their major electronics other than the fridge/freezer plugged into power strips which get switched off when not in use is a flid.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last