iPhone/iPod Touch App and Game Review Thread Page 3

• Page

of 366 First / Last

• Deleted user 30 September 2008 12:01:47
    UncleLou wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    Is the content ever any good though? I don't like old dusty 'classics' much.

This question doesn't compute on any level I am afraid. I don't like "dusty" "classics", either. But I love classics.
    Well I'll explain it to you. First of all, I used quotation marks as a method of expressing my disdain for really old books which are classics, but not necessarily that good. Just because they're really old and lots of people have read them doesn't necessarily translate into "YOU MUST READ THIS" and a lot of people confuse the word 'classics' with 'quality'. I was railing against this by my use of the quote marks.

Secondly, I used the word 'dusty' to further express my disdain for the likes of Tess of The D'Urbervilles, endless Charles Dickens guff, etc etc. Old and boring and no thanks.

Of course, your mileage may vary. If you like the classics, great! I don't, really.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2008 12:03:45
    MrSemprini wrote:
    Snapture Premium pisses all over the default camera app.
    I'm surprised this was even allowed under Jobs' dictatorial App Store regime. Surely it 'replicates existing functionality', the reason things like Podcaster have been rejected by Apple.

EDIT: Oh, it's only for Jailbroken iPhones. I tried Jailbreaking my iPod touch ages ago and wasn't that impressed really. I'm a bit concerned about Jailbreaking the iPhone 3G potentially fucking up when it comes to the next software update. What's the story on that these days?
  • MrSemprini 30 Sep 2008 12:12:42 9,422 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Who knows what logic drives that policy? Fizz Weather duplicates, but is far superior to, the default weather app too.
  • MrSemprini 30 Sep 2008 12:15:13 9,422 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jailbreaking is 100% safe. Even if something does go wrong, which it can't, you just connect it to iTunes and do a restore back to 2.1. Using QuickPwn takes about 3 minutes. I was using Installer and Cydia on 2.02 but I've switched to installing stuff via SSH now, which involves a few extra steps to get working but is a far superior method.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2008 12:16:46
    You lost me at "SSH".

First of all, what are the advantages to Jailbreaking these days? What apps are out there that only work on Jailbroken phones that are worth having?
  • MrSemprini 30 Sep 2008 12:24:49 9,422 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Snapture Premium and Fizz Weather for two ;)
    Plus loads of themes, emulators for the NES, Scumm etc if you're into that sort of thing. No doubt Podcaster is available too.

When you jailbreak you get two extra icons - Installer and Cydia. These work similar to the App Store in that you browse for apps to install. Using SSH you connect to the phone using an FTP program like FileZilla and manually install a file you have downloaded. There are several steps involved to get it working but once done it works a treat. Plus, the range of things available via SSH is wider than available with Cydia\Installer.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2008 12:26:30
    Links to this SSH process for Mac, and to stuff that's available for it? I'm not bothered about a Weather app, Snapture seems interesting though. But what else is there?
  • MrSemprini 30 Sep 2008 12:42:10 9,422 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • MrSemprini 30 Sep 2008 12:45:15 9,422 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    NB - to initially jailbreak the phone using QuickPwn you will need the 2.1 firmware. I haven't got a link for it directly but you can find all firmwares usually at www.modmyi.com
  • ayrtonsenna 30 Sep 2008 12:52:27 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    New facebook app is out and seems pretty good. If you like facebook of course.
  • MrSemprini 30 Sep 2008 13:07:48 9,422 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Needless to say - you do any of the steps above at your own risk. Don't come complaining to me if the phone refuses to switch on any more ;)

If you do decide to go ahead with it - the very first thing to do is backup through iTunes in case it all goes horribly wrong.
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Sep 2008 13:49:43 35,719 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Of course, your mileage may vary. If you like the classics, great! I don't, really.

See, I still don't understand. There's such a wide variety, how can you generally say you don't like them? Which you pretty much did, not the least with your question if there is "any good stuff" on there.

Mark Twain, Melville, Joseph Conrad, Conan Doyle, Marcel Proust, would you all file them under "dusty"?

Sorry, but people dismissing everything because it's old/a classic is just as much a pet peeve of mine as people confusing classics with quality is one of yours. :p
  • MrSemprini 30 Sep 2008 14:12:43 9,422 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Uncle Lou - this looks like a great app and I'll stick it on the phone tonight. The only thing I probably won't do is put translations on there - there are lots of, I don't like to use the word bad, but less good, translations of classic (as in great - not just old ;) books out there. Before I dove into 900 pages of Don Quixote I wanted to make sure I was reading the definitive version, not something rattled off by a student and Google Translate.
  • mouse Moderator 30 Sep 2008 15:00:14 10,312 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't buy MotoChaser, because it's shit. I bought it on a whim after reading on some blog that it was a good game. It occurred to me after playing it that they must not usually play games, because it is dreadful. My fault really, won't be following this admittedly poor logic again. You'd think I would know better really.
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Sep 2008 15:12:16 35,719 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone tried Kroll yet? Looks rather phenomenal.

video
  • MrSemprini 30 Sep 2008 15:33:57 9,422 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kroll looks pretty enough - having read a bit about it though it seems it's a bit of a simplistic "button" masher (screen tapper?). Seems a little on the short side too but for a piffling fiver it might be worth a bash.

I've tried Kroll out now and it is graphically impressive for a phone but the gameplay is rather shallow and short (I completed the whole thing in a couple of hours).
  • [maven] 7 Oct 2008 14:58:23 5,182 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Amazing application for the built-in camera!
  • christourlord 7 Oct 2008 15:01:55 2,498 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For anyone looking for a Desktop Tower Defence-style game, Fieldrunners is brilliant.

I spent most of this morning at work playing it... It's by far the best iPhone game I have played so far.
  • Vroom 7 Oct 2008 15:31:58 4,644 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    [maven] wrote:
    Amazing application for the built-in camera!

Genuine lol.

Vroom

• RabidChild 10 Oct 2008 14:06:50 2,292 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some excellent apps i've downloaded recently:

Bloom - weird music generator thingy, kind of a looped sequencer. Created by Brian Eno and his mate. It's a cool distraction every now and then.

Dizzy Bee - really well made Locoroco style game using the tilt control (well!). Spin the ipod/iphone to guide a bee around a maze collecting fruit and flowers and avoiding enemies. That makes it sound shit - it really isn't! You'd look like a retard playing it on the bus, though.

Wurdle - a grid of 5x5 letters, you have to make as many words as you can in two minutes by dragging a line between letters in sequence. I've already lost hours to this.

Galcon - weird action/strategy space game in which you play against the computer or a friend. You start with one planet and a limited fleet and you have to conquer other planets to generate bigger fleets and eventually wipe the opposition off the map. Kind of like fast Risk in space.
  • MrSemprini 10 Oct 2008 14:09:53 9,422 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The iPhysics demo is out too. Full version in a few weeks.
  • ayrtonsenna 10 Oct 2008 14:10:33 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah, I grabbed Bloom yesterday, but there's a constant crackle in the background - do you get that? I'm on the latest 16gb Touch.

Still loving Quordy, Dactyl, Dizzy Bee, Cube Runner are all great too.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2008 14:12:44
    Such an unbelievable load of crap on the App Store. I'm very selective as to what goes on my iPhone!

Camerabag is good - half price at the moment, probably wouldn't get at full price. Puts effect filters on photos.

Tuner is great - not sure how O2 would feel about it if I left it on overnight streaming over the 3G network though.

Aurora Feint is still fab, play it more than Trism.

Last FM is quite cool.

NetNewsWire obviously, for RSS feeds.

Twitterific is cool but I don't really know anybody that Twitters.

Photoswap still have me banned, and I can't say I blame them, but it's cool if you're not banned...

Fring is a free IM client for all sorts of things, including Skype.
  • RabidChild 10 Oct 2008 14:19:59 2,292 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ayrtonsenna wrote:
    Ah, I grabbed Bloom yesterday, but there's a constant crackle in the background - do you get that? I'm on the latest 16gb Touch.

No cracklin' for me - 8gb iphone
  • MrSemprini 10 Oct 2008 14:26:10 9,422 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:Fring is a free IM client for all sorts of things, including Skype.

If you jailbreak you can hack this so that VoIP works too ;)
  • ayrtonsenna 10 Oct 2008 14:58:05 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RabidChild wrote:
    ayrtonsenna wrote:

No cracklin' for me - 8gb iphone
    Hmm, another Touch user reported crackling too. I've reported a problem and emailed the devs web site about it.
  • Mike_Hunt 10 Oct 2008 15:34:52 23,526 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've just got FieldRunners which is a must have game if you like Tower Defense. That said, despite looking great it does lack a little depth and is missing some of the tactics from the popular web game (you don't earn interest on saved money, there's just one standard open level, different towers don't deal with different enemies better.

I'm sure it'll be improved and it's a fantastic start. I've had my money's worth already!

[MH]
  • NOSAVIOUR 10 Oct 2008 16:31:37 2,804 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Such an unbelievable load of crap on the App Store. I'm very selective as to what goes on my iPhone!

Camerabag is good - half price at the moment, probably wouldn't get at full price. Puts effect filters on photos.

Tuner is great - not sure how O2 would feel about it if I left it on overnight streaming over the 3G network though.

Aurora Feint is still fab, play it more than Trism.

Last FM is quite cool.

NetNewsWire obviously, for RSS feeds.

Twitterific is cool but I don't really know anybody that Twitters.

Photoswap still have me banned, and I can't say I blame them, but it's cool if you're not banned...

Fring is a free IM client for all sorts of things, including Skype.

Im banned from photoswap too. just couldnt help myself sending offensive shit to certain people. Must be a way of getting unbanned so I can start again...
  • Deleted user 10 October 2008 16:32:59
    Well I emailed them last week and they said they were updating the app soon and that would include an 'unbanning' mechanism, but I think that's bullshit.

Plus if any of their mods actually has a record of what I sent, they ain't unbanning me no matter what excuse I give them.

;)
  • Deleted user 10 October 2008 16:34:01
    MrSemprini wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:Fring is a free IM client for all sorts of things, including Skype.

If you jailbreak you can hack this so that VoIP works too ;)
    Nobody i know uses VOIP stuff, plus this does actually do that anyway as far as I know, over WiFi, with no jailbreaking required.

Could be wrong, of course, but like I say I'd never use it anyway.
  • Page

of 366 First / Last