Virgin Media issues

• Page

of 20 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 28 May 2008 12:18:40
    After a bit of advice. We've been on their XL/20Mb package for a while, as last time there were issues they gave us a free upgrade (with no stipulations like "this will be cheaper for the first few months", they told us explicitly that it was a free upgrade onto the higher-tier package and we'd be paying the same as the medium-tier one).

They've just started a new billing process of seperating payments out, which transpires we're actually paying 37 a month for the higher tier package, which according to them, we shouldn't have been.

Two things seem apparent to me:

1) They never got the account holder's permission to charge more in the first place (they dealt with me when they upgraded, not my father).

2) Despite their website being a hateful shite to browse and only showing package details instead of individual costs, the XL 20Mb package should only be 20 a month anyway.

The only issue here is that the extra cost hadn't been noticed (as it was an all-in-one charge that wasn't itemised before) for quite some time, and that we don't have any actual proof that the package was offered for free.

So just after some thoughts before I phone them up and threaten to beat each individual member of the support team to death with their own pelvic bones.
  • markh 28 May 2008 12:22:09 3,598 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did your overall payment increase then or did it remain the same?

Sometimes they mess about with the price of other services to fix the price.
  • nickthegun 28 May 2008 12:24:09 61,348 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ask to speak to a customer relations manager and if you get a cheaper deal ask them to send you details of its price and term as an email and, preferably, a hard copy.

Loads of people are getting fucked at the moment now the cheap deals they started throwing around after the Sky One fiasco have started to expire.

You, basically, have to get any promise in writing.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• _Jamie 28 May 2008 12:54:35 93 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seems similar to this.

Similar thing happened to me. I spoke to them and they offered me a great deal, paying something like 13.50 a month for 4meg broadband and lots of tv channels. This went on for about 3 months until I got a bill through for about 40. I rang them and I was told that in internal audit had picked up my account and judged that I should never have been on that offer and just took me off it. No phone call, no letter, nothing. I found all this out after I had my bill and I rang them up. Speaking to a few people, it's common practice for them to do this and then refuse to budge and still expect you to pay for the service they have incorrectly offered you.

They're shit really.

• Deleted user 28 May 2008 12:56:06
    Get your dad to add you as the top man on the account, phone them up and go fucking nuts at them.

Works usually for me.
  • MetalDog 28 May 2008 12:59:35 23,920 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    NatAttack wrote:
    Hmm! I've been paying 37 a month for my BB. Um. It said on some recent crap they sent me through the post that the spensiv internet is 37 so I dunno what's going on there.

I DO know that my phone line is dead, however.

My VM phone line is dead also.
    Hmm.

You in Sutton or thereabouts?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Dirtbox 28 May 2008 13:05:00 79,216 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had something very similar to this and after a little digging I found that the offer would stand for only 6 months with the package returning to full price after that. I can't really complain, but some time a mention would have been nice.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• _Jamie 28 May 2008 13:05:27 93 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NatAttack wrote:
    J Pickford joined December '07 and has over 39,000 posts.

O_o

o_O

He was an admin and created a new account then set the post count to the same as before. Something like that anyway.
  • Whizzo 29 May 2008 11:17:44 43,372 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seems like an appropriate thread, the traffic management is now getting a bit silly really.

No not silly, fucking stupid.

This space left intentionally blank.

• nickthegun 29 May 2008 11:27:17 61,348 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can we now stop the traditional cable user sneering at the poor suckers who still have to use copper wires?

• Whizzo 29 May 2008 11:32:40 43,372 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not really because I still get 20 meg as long as I'm not downloading shitloads.

Considering how rubbish most ADSL is even being reduced to a fixed 5 meg download for a while is still better.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 29 May 2008 11:33:41
    Throttling is still better than "25Gb a month AND THAT'S YOUR LOT"
  • Scurrminator 29 May 2008 11:35:02 8,472 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the thing is im being throttled 24/7 at the minute.
    I'm on the L package and my browsing speeds are utterly useless, it just does not work at all.
    I'm not even downloading that much - it's getting fucking stupid.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Deleted user 29 May 2008 11:36:51
    I was on large with Virgin for ages. Finally got sick of stupid changing charges/services etc and cancelled. Was going with BT/Sky but BT put the fitting date off 3 times, so I ended up staying, but on the free 2mb. Does the job, and costs nothing....
  • mouse 29 May 2008 11:37:20 10,310 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    I'm on the L package and my browsing speeds are utterly useless, it just does not work at all.

Same as. I'm sick of this shit - switching over to DSL asap.
  • nickthegun 29 May 2008 11:42:24 61,348 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    Throttling is still better than "25Gb a month AND THAT'S YOUR LOT"

Well i get (T&C laden) unlimited download package and a fairly consistant 6mb connection, which I pay a fairly reasonable sum for.

If I download 3gb, 75% of my connection speed isnt automatically knocked off.

I pay for 'up to 8' and get 6. I dont pay a fortune for 20 then end up with 5.

I used to be an NTL customer before I moved and was gutted i couldnt get cable where I went, but the virgin thing seems like a right ball ache. Even without the restrictions, a load of people where I used to live reckon they never get anywhere near 20mb anyway.

• Lovemoose 29 May 2008 13:15:20 999 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Me too mate. Been rubbish for about three months. I'd change if I wasn't getting L BB, XL tv and phone for 35 a month. If they change the price on me I'm off.

twitter: @chockey

• evilashchris 15 Oct 2009 13:02:39 7,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone having problems getting their email at the moment?

Not been able to connect all morning, though it seems to send okay.

Twitter: @COToole

• BabyJesus 15 Oct 2009 14:04:56 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Virgin media are cunts my Latency is fucked.

But e-mail twitter@virginmedia.co.uk

And they'll get the correct Dept to call you and probably fob you off
  • evilashchris 15 Oct 2009 14:08:40 7,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers, seems okay now though, fingers crossed :)

• El_MUERkO 18 Jan 2010 16:31:30 17,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Virgin just imploded. No TV but internet still works.

I rang two different numbers, one is engaged, the other has an error message.

D just checked the websites service status page and it's borked too :D
  • Psychotext 18 Jan 2010 16:34:04 55,057 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Working here (ex-ntl)
  • hypernova 5 Jun 2010 21:35:13 1,967 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone else not able to access their email (pop.ntlworld.com) today? Internet is fine, have reset everything several times, but I can't get my emails.
  • Deleted user 5 June 2010 21:54:06
    I got into my emails once, then it fucked up. Having problems with it too. Very up and down.
  • evilashchris 5 Jun 2010 22:01:14 7,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yeah, fixed by ten the website says.

• evilashchris 5 Jun 2010 22:03:09 7,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On a related note, this get a free V+ box when you upgrade to the XL TV package, would I be able to get that, then drop back down to M after a month?

• ManicDrunkMonk 6 Jun 2010 21:29:41 516 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    These things usually come with a 12 month agreement attached.
  • BigEars 6 Jun 2010 22:27:26 31 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm currently on the 20 meg Virgin package, since Nov last year, and for a couple of months, I was averaging 10-14 meg, which I found tolerable. However, for the last 3 or 4 months, I've been getting nowhere near these speeds, average being about 5-10 meg, which is bang out of order, considering I'm paying 30 a month to the bastards (Just for the broadband, didn't want the tv packages!).

I don't download excessive amounts of torrents and I'm not a hugely heavy user in general. I've been meaning to complain for a while but just keep putting it off, the prospect of having to endure Virgins hideous over the phone customer support not proving a hugely enticing prospect.
  • coda 22 Nov 2010 17:24:30 1,866 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hey can other Virgin Media tv customers confirm something for me?

Since last night when go to Sky1 I just get a black screen and a "Sorry, this channel isn't available right now." message. Sky1 HD is fine.

Is Sky1 unavailable for anyone else? Do you know what's causing this?
  • VCLXI 22 Nov 2010 21:23:55 283 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    NatAttack wrote:
    Hmm! I've been paying 37 a month for my BB. Um. It said on some recent crap they sent me through the post that the spensiv internet is 37 so I dunno what's going on there.

I DO know that my phone line is dead, however.

My VM phone line is dead also.
    Hmm.

You in Sutton or thereabouts?

Sutton in Surrey? Ah, my home town. I miss it! The football team are doing well though and even though I'm only 45 minutes away I feel a lot further.

Er, anyway, back to subject. I took an 18 month contract with BT (yeah I know) and the bastards refused to re-pay me the 150 deposit I paid for the line to be put in. Long story but I took the unlimited broadband and weekend and evening call plan. I paid 43 a month. They said after 9 months (when it should have been paid back after 6 months) of the line being in that I'd over-used so much they used the deposit to cover the arrears. Complete bollocks I said. I'm the only one here. I work all day so the only time I could have used the phone is in the evening, when it's meant to be free! Not on really.

And because of my own stupidness, I can't change provider until July 2011. So, list me up as twat of the month. Or something.

• Page

of 20 First / Last

Previous