Amazon Marketplace - reliable?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 21 April 2008 19:30:59
    I'm looking at buying Civ 3 for the price of... £2.90 at the moment off Amazon Marketplace (as Amazon don't seem to have any).

The seller has 99% positive comments, but I'm still a bit nervous about it.

Has anyone used Marketplace, and is it usually reliable?

Ta!
  • Micro_Explosion 21 Apr 2008 19:33:27 9,695 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I used it once and it was fine (sunglasses), I also know someone who sells/sold stuff on there (pet fish stuff) - as long as it appears to be from an actual shop then you'll be fine.

Try searching for the seller name on google and if their own website is real with an address, professional looking etc. then you should be okay.
  • Deleted user 21 April 2008 19:39:07
    Cheers, ordered it now. I remember Civ 2 being FTW, so hopefully I'll enjoy this. :)
  • caligari 21 Apr 2008 19:53:03 16,986 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    NatAttack wrote:
    Yea I've used Amazon marketplace a hellofalot and never had a single problem with it.

+100

I've used it hundreds of times, and sold plenty of bits and bobs myself.

Not a single problem - EVAH. Amazon will cover your costs after 30 days if the item 'goes missing' too.
  • ecureuil 21 Apr 2008 19:58:35 76,480 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had one bad experience from it, but it's generally reliable. I ordered RE4 from a marketplace seller, and he had a 100% positive rating. It appears that I ordered at precisely the wrong time, as an hour after the money had left my account, people started leaving him bad feedback to say he hadn't been shipping items, and he ended up with tons of bad feedback. Luckily Amazon refunded me entirely.
  • WillyWanka 3 Nov 2008 18:20:06 802 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I've been conned. At first I thought i was merely being paranoid but now someone else has had the same problem with the seller - he left 1 star feedback stating teh same problems I had. I ordered a new ipod touch 32gig for 250 squid on the 22/10. It was meant to have been dispatche by the 24th. I've still had no confirmation of it's dispatch by the seller, despite 2 emails asking about it. The thing is the deadline for teh delivery isn't until the 10th of November, then if I have indeed been scammed, it may take up to 90 working days to get my money back from Amazon.

The guy was a new seller, but I would've thought amazon was a safe enough place to shop regardless. The seller's name is "Captain Lane", so try not to buy anything from him (even if he is not a scammer the fact he has caused me so much doubt and grief through not informing me of my 1/4 of a grand is enough for me to dissaude anyone from buying from him).

Has anyone else had any such problem from amazn marketplace? If so what did you do?
  • PinkSpider 3 Nov 2008 18:23:22 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Complained to Amazon. Took under a week to get my money back. They are pretty good like that (they usually refund first and then investigate (or used to, havent done it for about 6 months)).
  • WillyWanka 3 Nov 2008 18:57:25 802 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers mate
  • caligari 24 Feb 2010 01:51:36 16,986 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been selling off a few old CDs / books etc on Amazon MP - but I've noticed that one seller (a 'company' with 30,000+ ratings) ALWAYS ends up being a penny cheaper than me.

This results in a 'penny war' - where I'll adjust my listings so that they're the cheapest - only for him/her to do the same 15 minutes later.

I was talking about this to a friend who has used Marketplace for yeeears - and he swears that there's a tool that you can download that will automatically adjust your listing so that it is the cheapest - which then results in your item appearing at the top of a customer's item search. (sorry if that doesn't make any sense - it's late - I'm tired - and I'm trying to eat toast whilst typing this)

Does anyone know if this exists? I've tried Googling it, but found nothing.

I'm tempted to adjust all of my listing to 2p to see if the other guys' stuff then auto-adjusts to 1p. I'll then buy up all of his stuff for a penny and then readjust my original listings. ;)

VICTORY. I will be the winner of the penny war!
  • SuperCoolEskimo 19 Jan 2012 20:29:28 9,705 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm looking at buying a TV from an Amazon marketplace seller who has just launched and has no feedback yet.

How trustworthy are these sellers? Am I better off steering clear? The price the seller offering is about £40 cheaper than the next seller. It's a store who have several TV's for sale atm
  • Aretak 19 Jan 2012 20:39:52 10,345 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's the same risk you'd take with buying from an eBay seller with no feedback I guess. There's no real way to know how trustworthy a seller is until you buy from them (which is too late to do anything about it either way). I'd wager Amazon would be better to deal with than those thundercunts Paypal in the case of a problem though.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 19 Jan 2012 20:45:05 9,705 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks. I was hoping Amazon might be a bit stricter on what kind of sellers they allow on the marketplace but seems it's not worth the risk.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Nov 2013 16:44:42 37,301 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bah, I sold a Hauppage PVR2 on Amazon Marketplace on the 17th September, and now I've had the dude emailing asking for a refund because "it doesn't work".

Now I sold it because I realised I didn't have much use for it and I was having buyers remorse. I know it worked before I sent it because I tested it... What are the chances this guy is the same and is just taking the bitches way out?

Well, he can have his money, but I want it back first. It cost me close to £9 to send, that thing isn't light.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Shikasama 7 Nov 2013 16:50:16 6,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did you not have a 'sold as is' type disclaimer on the listing? No idea if you can do that on Amazon but if you tested it then I wouldn't be ecstatic at just having it back.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Nov 2013 16:51:44 37,301 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, you have to abide by their "A-Z guarantee". He says he just gets a green screen. If this thing comes back faulty I'm going to be spitting bullets.

• wayneh 7 Nov 2013 16:53:35 2,280 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @MrTomFTW As long as the item he sends back is the same item you posted, had this before where someone tried to return an ebay item which had been battered whereas the item I sent was in mint condition. Luckily I had took photos before hand which included the serial number so ebay took my side :/

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Dec 2013 12:02:25 37,301 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey remember this? He finally sent it back and it's definitely not the one I sent to him.

How do I know? It's still got the plastic protective film on top, which I had removed and thrown away long before I even planned on selling it!

WTF do I do?

• MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Dec 2013 12:13:39 37,301 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've emailed Amazon with the full story with the hope they're reasonable. I'm fucking spitting bullets here.

• teamHAM 6 Dec 2013 12:13:39 2,742 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A similar thing happened to me on Ebay not that long ago and Ebay got the police involved as a fraud case. It seems this sort of thing goes down quite a lot.

As long as you can prove that it's not the item that you originally sent to him then you're golden.

Just don't give them a refund or anything. I'd talk to Amazon and explain the situation and they will drive it.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• brokenkey 6 Dec 2013 12:23:21 6,941 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Serial number?

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Dec 2013 12:25:25 37,301 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I *think* I have the serial number from when I had to get it RMA'd myself last year. I mean I've found it, but I can't decide if it's from mine, or the one I sent back.

It's different anyway.

• brokenkey 6 Dec 2013 12:34:11 6,941 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Either way, include it. If it's yours, you point is valid. If it's not (but its still a genuine serial number for the item) the scammer can't very well say "ah, no, he's got the number wrong I've got the right one right here...!"

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Dec 2013 16:08:05 37,301 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dear Seller,

Thank you for contacting Amazon Seller Support.

From your email, I see that you have questions regarding this return.

If you feel that this return is suspicious, I would recommend flagging the contact you have received from this buyer.

You can do this by logging into Seller Central and accessing your received messages through the messages option in the top right hand corner of the screen.

After opening one of the messages from the buyer in question, you will see the following at the bottom of the message "If you believe this message is suspicious, please report it to us here". Clicking on 'here' will flag the message so that we can investigate.

In addition, I am also going to pass the details of this return to Seller Performance so they can investigate.

I hope that this information helps. If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thank you for selling with Amazon.

Gary G.
    Amazon.co.uk Seller Support
    Fingers crossed! Which makes it hard to type.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 17 Dec 2013 08:43:40 37,301 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well Amazon did eventually get back to me late yesterday to say it's up to me if I want to refuse the refund, but the scrote may put in an A to Z claim in which case I'll have to defend my position. I bet they usually side with the buyer in these cases, but we're talking £100 plus the money I spent on P&P so nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I've sent a very polite refusal to the buyer with my reasons.

• Deckard1 17 Dec 2013 08:58:57 27,051 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SPIT SOME BULLETS AT HIM TOM
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 17 Dec 2013 09:03:26 37,301 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pew pew

• PearOfAnguish 17 Dec 2013 09:21:19 7,136 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is why I started taking pictures of pricier stuff before selling it on Ebay or Amazon. It's a common scam.

Who was that EG forumite who was selling on Marketplace and got some feedback saying there was a pube in the package? Classic.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 18 Dec 2013 08:28:43 37,301 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hi ok I understand but as you can not refund it can you send it back to me please I would be greatful

Thanks
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
    No argument from him what so ever.

• Dougs 18 Dec 2013 09:02:35 66,590 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ha, he knows he's been rumbled
  • woodnotes 18 Dec 2013 09:08:21 4,921 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Hi ok I understand but as you can not refund it can you send it back to me please I would be greatful

Thanks
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
    No argument from him what so ever.
    Good to hear buddy. I've had idiots screw me over on eBay in similar fashion. I'm anal now about taking photos, logging serial numbers and sending everything via recorded delivery.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous