*Official* XBLA thread Page 592

• Page

of 634 First / Last

• PenguinJim 26 May 2013 05:29:46 6,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If anyone's after some MS points, you can get a 1200MSP code for US$5 from the MS store at the moment. Try one of the following codes at checkout:

XboxEMWAuhadm39mh
    XboxEMWAzfxgnb8rz
    XboxEMWAi6qe7dymd
    XboxEMWA6vjbdogho

(When they're gone, they're gone)

It didn't work with a UK account I was using, but switching to my US account did the trick; I paid with Paypal. The points'll probably be US-region-locked, too. For reference, 1600MSP retails for US$20 but can often be obtained for US$16, so for 1200MSP, anything less than $12 is A Good Price™. :)

And, yes, OBVIOUSLY this is just a trick by "M$" to make us stockpile points so that we still have leftovers next year and need to buy the One in order to spend them.

Edit: looks like HUKD have been vulturising this deal already - they claim that the points work on UK accounts, but they also claim that the deal has expired (it hasn't).

Edited by PenguinJim at 05:33:40 26-05-2013
  • dancingrob 26 May 2013 15:02:44 1,191 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know we don't generally approve of ebay links, but I've just bought some very cheaply from this seller, with the points arriving within 30 minutes or so, so thought you might like to know!

price is 480 points for £2.50 (Up to a maximum of £10 for 1920)

480 points
  • caligari 28 May 2013 02:24:36 17,198 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JonFE wrote:
    @PenguinJim

Good shout! That could well be the case, for sure. I don't know the order caligari used in trying his trial codes, so kay may only need to use a monthly code.
    Even I'm not too sure. It was a confusing - but enjoyable - mess. I'm pretty sure that you have to use at least a one-month code to get 'proper' Gold access to 'Deals of the Week' - the Pilgrim/Pac-Man offers had expired by the time my 48-hour code had finished.

On the plus side, it meant that I ended up spending my points on Blood Dragon, instead - a very good choice, me thinks.
  • TOOTR 29 May 2013 18:12:17 9,652 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dudes (and dudette)

Look - there is something new on XBLA!

Content: CastleStorm
    Price: 800 Microsoft Points
    Check availability in your Xbox LIVE Region
    Dash Text: It’s Knights vs. Vikings in CastleStorm, where medieval warfare meets 2D physics-based destruction! Controlling the battle in real time, players will harness the power of medieval artillery, manage a fearsome ground attack, and cast powerful spells! CastleStorm features a story-driven solo campaign, a custom castle editor, online multiplayer, co-op modes, and more. Building castles and knocking them down has never been so much fun!

What do you mean you don't care?

What do you mean you are more interested in the latest Indie Humble Bundle???

I blame thee not.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• SomaticSense 29 May 2013 20:14:51 9,195 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Again, it's XBLA Day, and still no Sanctum 2! What the fuck MS.

Oh sorry. We get a slightly different version of the same hunting game we were so grateful for last week. WHY THANK YOU.

Still not even an acknowledgement.

/rant over
  • agparrot 29 May 2013 20:29:23 11,903 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CastleStorm seems like a well-produced game. A cross between Worms, a simple 1 or 2 player MOBA, that game where the monkey threw a banana on the ZX Spectrum when you typed in the elevation and force of the banana throw, and some other stuff. It is the perfect game to get in a sale.

I'm hoping State of Decay will turn up as XBLA of next week, 5th June. I'm not really looking forward to it having its mooted 1600MSP price tag, although similar rumours flew about Blood Dragon and that ended up being 1200. I'll be carefully examining the SOD demo to make sure it doesn't play like an arthritic dog, as the prospect of a zombie survival game like Midwinter is, sadly, probably simply too good to be true

I see Major Nelson has actually updated his blog with the Castlestorm details. Heaven forfend he might actually do some work keeping everyone in the picture with what is up-and-coming on XBLA, he's obviously been far too busy offering detailed clarifications about what is happening with Xbox One used games.
  • Deleted user 31 May 2013 09:55:37
    Does anybody else feel sorry for Zen for releasing Castle Storm on XBLA this week? The demo makes it seem pretty good but how many people are going to resist buying because of the lack of backwards compatibility?
  • Baihu1983 31 May 2013 10:07:10 3,647 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DudBug It could be a problem but then not everyone will jump ship when the new console comes, not everyone will sell their 360 and people will still want games between now and when ever the new consoles launch.
  • repairmanjack 31 May 2013 10:32:54 6,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DudBug wrote:
    Does anybody else feel sorry for Zen for releasing Castle Storm on XBLA this week? The demo makes it seem pretty good but how many people are going to resist buying because of the lack of backwards compatibility?
    I keep hearing this but I can't imagine that there's going to be such a wave of early adopters that they'll shrug off decent games now. I was a shoe in for the new console, until I saw the reveal. Microsoft have some work to do before they're likely to see any more of my money. I never thought, after the PS3, that Sony would ever have another penny from me.

Plus, even if the new console was the Holy Grail of gaming, there's no way I'm picking it up in the first few months. You only have to think back to the release of the last machine to realise it's better to wait a while... Price gouging from Game, et al, and the most important fact that they designed it badly and manufactured it on the cheap so that we all had the damn things break on us. I'm on my third 360; my brother is on his fifth. I'm sure lessons are learned, but I'm more than happy to play good games now on reliable tech than cross my fingers that these buggers care more about quality control than cash this time.

In other words, someone please tell me when State of Decay gets here...
  • Baihu1983 31 May 2013 10:40:04 3,647 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @repairmanjack Next Week.
  • Dizzy 31 May 2013 10:40:31 2,763 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DudBug wrote:
    TBH I am feeling really bad about this. I do not want to buy any more XBLA games because of this, but I also want to support good devs. I guess I will wait until after E3 to see if there really will be a mini-360.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 31 May 2013 10:45:55 26,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are you not buying any games at all until you get a new Xbox or PS4 then?
  • Deleted user 31 May 2013 11:12:59
    @StarchildHypocrethes
    I am not even sure when I'll get a next-gen console as I have too many unanswered questions about both of them at the moment. But, having bought a lot of XBLA games, the announcement of no backwards compatibility has really rammed home the point that my purchases are not much more than rentals.

I am not sure that I can fully justify my reaction because many consoles in the past have not offered backwards compatibility. There are, though, 3 reasons I think: (1) the psychological effect of the announcement in this case is exacerbated because XBLA games are digital media so your ownership of the product already feels more tenuous. (2) Other digital media purchases, such as films and music, do not seem so tied to one particular make of device. (3) Don Mattrick's announcement that anybody who worries about backwards compatibility is 'backwards' acts as a real disincentive to purchase anything now as it suggests that Microsoft have no interest in the longer-term viability of our purchases.
  • Baihu1983 31 May 2013 11:24:23 3,647 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dizzy Do you lack the room cause other wise why buy a mini if you have a 360?

Does anywhere have a list of up coming offers? Other than MN who only lists 2 weeks at a time.
  • repairmanjack 31 May 2013 13:16:36 6,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    @repairmanjack Next Week.
    Excellent news, cheers!
  • TOOTR 31 May 2013 15:06:17 9,652 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From VG24/7 :

“Those games will continue to run on your Xbox 360 for as long as your Xbox 360 runs,” he explained. “The box is not backward compatible and we think for somebody who invests in a large digital library that you want to keep your [Xbox 360]. Keep that as a vibrant part of the ecosystem.

“That’s why we’ve made sure that your identity, your friends, are constant between both platforms. You don’t have a separate identity on Xbox One or [Xbox 360]; it’s the same, you are you. My friend’s network is the same on both boxes, my achievements are the same. So we think that service component is an important component to keep constant across both devices”.

Talking about the future of XBLA on Xbox 360, Spencer added that something big will be announced at E3 next month. “I think the [Xbox 360] is going to be very vibrant for many years,” he said. “In fact, we have a huge, I think it’s huge, [Xbox 360] announcement for E3 that I keep wanting to talk about, but I can’t.

“I think it will surprise people. I loved what we did with Minecraft; bring Minecraft to the box; six million units later it’s kind of a beast. I think there’s a lot of life in the [Xbox 360] for years to come.

So.... What do we think this 'huge' announcement for the 360 at E3 could be?

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• StarchildHypocrethes 31 May 2013 15:11:10 26,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Head over Heels 2
  • PenguinJim 31 May 2013 15:16:54 6,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New requirement to log into Live once every 24 hours if you want to play your 360 disc games.
  • Deleted user 31 May 2013 15:46:15
    60% off Guardian of Light and Peggle.
  • sanctusmortis 1 Jun 2013 11:41:52 9,807 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh hey look somebody's making a zombie roguelike for XBLA because nobody makes those type of games
  • agparrot 4 Jun 2013 10:13:41 11,903 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I meant to mention yesterday that Undead Labs and Major Nelson both have confirmed that the 5th June XBLA title is going to be State of Decay at a price of (deep breath) 1600 MSPs.

For those interested.

IGN have three largely spoiler-free Let's Play videos up, predominantly of the 'tutorial' area and a bit beyond, of about 15 minutes each, the first of which is here:

• CharlieStCloud 4 Jun 2013 10:35:00 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I say this in the kindest possible way however, that zombie game looks really rough around the edges, like it is still going through the alpha and beta phase.

... and they want 1600 points for that?

On a completely separate note, Motorcross Madness is fucking awful on the last few stages. The leap in difficulty would leave hardcore Trials players fuming. It is no fun anymore.

: (
  • Dave_McCoy 4 Jun 2013 10:36:28 2,814 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looks alright from the brief bit I watched but will wait for review. Think I will top up my points though anyway, just in case. Work vouchers FTW!
  • andytheadequate 4 Jun 2013 11:26:11 8,375 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been playing Monaco recently and I can highly recommend it. Not sure it's all that good single player but co op is a blast
  • repairmanjack 4 Jun 2013 11:43:27 6,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Will definitely grab Monaco in the first sale it turns up in... and despite being slightly miffed at the price, State of Decay will be a day one purchase.

I like rough edges. :)
  • SomaticSense 4 Jun 2013 12:56:20 9,195 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is the 1600 points (£13-14) price a zombie game tax, or an attempt to soften people for an XOne d/l game pricing norm?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Jun 2013 13:01:34 26,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Think it's just the price point they give some of the more expansive XBLA games that are likely to also be popular. Minecraft was the same.

Although, so was Puzzle Quest Galactrix rather randomly...
  • SomaticSense 4 Jun 2013 13:12:37 9,195 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Minecraft was that price because of the constant updates it would need. That's the official line anyway.

Plenty of hugely popular and content-laden XBLA games have been priced at 1200, even when MS knew they would be in massive demand, which disproves that theory. Trials: Evo is the biggest example.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Jun 2013 13:26:14 26,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well the fact that other games have previously been that price also disproves the zombie tax or XOne pricing theory too.

Therefore it must be down to the price fairies.
  • Page

of 634 First / Last