*Official* XBLA thread Page 556

• Page

of 631 First / Last

• L_Franko Moderator 28 Dec 2012 11:10:22 9,694 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone heard any recent news on Skulls of the Shogun?
  • dancingrob 28 Dec 2012 11:20:43 1,161 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @evild_edd

it's probably a game that benefits from playing at a slightly slower pace, rather than rattling through it.

I'd certainly limit yourself to one episode per night at most, as the pacing is perfectly timed for one 2 hour session per evening.
  • evild_edd 28 Dec 2012 12:04:16 3,073 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @dancingrob

2 hrs per night would constitute rattling through it for my gaming time :0)

Reckon it'll take me a week or two to play through the entirety.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Syrette 28 Dec 2012 12:43:09 43,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How long is the Walking Dead on offer for?

• evild_edd 28 Dec 2012 12:49:33 3,073 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Syrette

Ep 2-5 half price today only.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• AccidentProne 28 Dec 2012 12:50:02 1,162 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's just on offer today. Though ep1 has been free all week, not sure how long that lasts.
  • Syrette 28 Dec 2012 12:51:00 43,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alright got ep1, enjoyed it but these aren't the sort of games I usually go for...

• Deleted user 28 December 2012 12:57:14
    I found it pretty pants, sure the story is interesting but the game is average.
  • Syrette 28 Dec 2012 13:00:20 43,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's the thing, it's not much of a game per se...

• Deleted user 28 December 2012 13:06:37
    I know so I'm thinking if I want a good story I watch a film or read a book.
    Games can have great stories but need a game to go with it.
    Just wasn't for me, was like a weak heavy rain.
  • dwalker109 28 Dec 2012 13:19:26 23 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just bought Eps 2-5, cheers for the heads up. 800 MSP for the series is cheap enough for me to bite despite not really enjoying much of Telltale's output.
  • L_Franko Moderator 28 Dec 2012 13:31:20 9,694 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have 1300 points burning a hole in my account.
    What would be a wise purchase? Or is there something big coming out soon that it would be worth saving the points for?

I ask for advice because I know I'll be having a few beers this weekend and I will probably end up blowing them on something crap if I don't have any guidance.
  • Short-Round 28 Dec 2012 13:47:41 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Banjo Nuts & Bolts is on offer tomorrow. fyi @Caligari A few family games will be on offer, like Toy Story 3 and Crash Bandicoot.
  • theguy 28 Dec 2012 13:57:59 653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Have any plans been mentioned to release a disc with all 5  Walking Dead episodes on it?
  • Blerk Moderator 28 Dec 2012 14:02:28 48,225 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There is such a disc in the US already for both 360 and PS3, but there don't appear to be any plans to release it over here as far as I can tell.

You might not want it anyway - people have been complaining that the 360 version at least has lots of glitches that the downloadable version doesn't have.
  • Spong 28 Dec 2012 14:21:34 525 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    That's the thing, it's not much of a game per se...
    You got that right. I just played episode one after downloading it the other day, thought I'd best try it out to see if the others were worth getting in the sale. I had no idea what The Walking Dead is, apart from the fact I think it's a TV show or something and apparently everyone loves the game. I fail to see why, it's just a boring interactive story. Press [insert button here] for another load of dialogue, then walk forwards a bit for some more dialogue. I got as far as entering some house before I switched it off and deleted it. Shit game (and I use the term 'game' in its loosest sense). Annoyingly, the bloody thing is listed in my achievements now.

Blerk wrote:
    You might not want it anyway - people have been complaining that the 360 version at least has lots of glitches that the downloadable version doesn't have.
    I had episode one bug out on me, the main character (on about three occasions) somehow managed to say multiple lines of dialogue at once, they overlapped each other and rendered it indecipherable.

Edited by Spong at 14:23:38 28-12-2012
  • andytheadequate 28 Dec 2012 14:30:08 8,113 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You played an interactive story and complain that it's an interactive story?

The whole point of the game is how the characters react to one another and the choices you have to make. If you don't play it long enough to meet any other characters or have to make any decisions then you're an idiot who hasn't given it a chance. It would be like moaning about a FPS game for being dull because you only played it for 5 minutes and didn't get to the shooting bits.

If you've played the first episode and still don't enjoy it then fair enough, the next four episodes won't change your mind, but at least give it a chance.

I found the "game" sections to be immersion breaking and rather dull, so I'd have preferred it to have focussed on the decisions you have to make and ignore the QTEs

Edited by andytheadequate at 14:39:42 28-12-2012
  • lucky_jim 28 Dec 2012 14:37:42 5,282 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blimey, the other day we had someone dissing FTL for being too roguelike, now TWD is too much of an interactive story. In other news, COD is a shit platform game, and if you're looking for a fighting game, stay away from Super Mario Galaxy, it's not even got any dragon punches.
  • Spong 28 Dec 2012 14:44:53 525 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    You bought an interactive story and complain that it's an interactive story?
    Seeing as I don't work for the dev, I had no idea that's all it was. Sure, I've seen the name bandied about the net like it's the next greatest thing, but all I knew was that it's yet another zombie apocalypse story. Beyond that, I'd seen & read absolutely nothing about the game.

I didn't play long enough because the definition of 'play' in The Walking Dead leaves a lot to be desired. Pressing a button once every minute or so, or moving the character ten feet, just to trigger the next lot of dialogue is not what I call a game. If I want to sit there and do nothing but engage with characters, I'll read a good book or watch a film, the kind of passive medium that promotes such observation. Games are not meant to be a passive experience, if sitting there and listening outweighs doing stuff, it's a bad game in my book.

Edited by Spong at 14:45:50 28-12-2012
  • RedSparrows 28 Dec 2012 14:55:07 22,259 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Er, I don't work for the dev, and nor do I own the game.

But I knew exactly what it was.
  • Spong 28 Dec 2012 15:03:20 525 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RedSparrows Good for you. I didn't know what it was because I never bothered looking before downloading the free episode one. I downloaded it with no knowledge or expectations whatsoever, and disappointment quickly ensued.
    It's not like I'm saying the game is shit for everyone, I'm not mental, it's just shit for me because I'd argue the fact it should even technically be classed as a game.
  • theguy 28 Dec 2012 15:05:13 653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    There is such a disc in the US already for both 360 and PS3, but there don't appear to be any plans to release it over here as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the answer. Think i'll just download them then
  • oceanmotion 28 Dec 2012 15:29:25 15,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Completed the first episode of the walking dead. The choices and characters sucked me right in. The small game play actions are complete shit and could really have been done better or not at all other than choice.

What a game it would be in a more expanded 3rd person world will full control but that is another dream game.

Already bought the next episode, will see how that goes and maybe buy the rest before offer expires.
  • FabricatedLunatic 28 Dec 2012 15:40:29 13,000 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Spong
    You should at least play the rest of the episode. What sets TWD apart from a book or a film is how involved and empowered it makes you feel through the decisions you have to make.

The gameplay is shitty but does help generate tension in a kind of old Resident Evil shoot-while-standing-still-and-not-being-able-to-see-what-you're-shooting-at kind of way...
  • richardiox 28 Dec 2012 16:17:03 5,578 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has anyone dissing the lack of game in TWD ever even played a point and click adventure before?
  • SFD 28 Dec 2012 16:41:46 490 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Has anyone dissing the lack of game in TWD ever even played a point and click adventure before?
    This.

Edited by SFD at 16:42:12 28-12-2012
  • Trowel 28 Dec 2012 16:54:49 17,589 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Try not to be condescending and accept people have different opinions.

I played it - thought the story was interesting if trite, the "choices" element far more involving than most other games (I'm looking at you Mass Effect), but as a 'game' it's... empty.

It's little more that 21st century Myst, and to be honest I'm embarrassed it's even discussed as a point and click adventure; I think it only serves to highlight the absence of quality adventure games, and that consoles aren't the best place for them.
  • dancingrob 28 Dec 2012 16:54:52 1,161 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think the difference between old school point & clicks is the lack of puzzles, and the fact that the puzzles there are in the game are largely the weakest parts. eg, the intermiable, collect various spanner type implements from the train part in Ep 3

I can certainly see why it doesn't appeal to everyone, but as Jim says above, most of the people complaining are basically complaining that agame lauded largely as interactive film is 'only' an interactive film.

Edited by dancingrob at 16:55:24 28-12-2012
  • Spong 28 Dec 2012 16:56:50 525 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @FabricatedLunatic The game falls at the first hurdle for me because it's essentially a point & click adventure (something I admit I should've known before I downloaded it purely because it's by Telltale). Point & clicks just aren't my thing, they never have been, regardless of how good the story may or may not be. Moving a cursor/cross-hairs around a game space, clicking on random objects until I find the right one to trigger the next cutscene isn't my idea of fun gameplay. It's just systematically going through the same motion, a motion that isn't particularly inspiring to begin with.

Besides, if I re-download ep1 and try again, it means having to sit through that intro scene in the cop car, doing nothing but ragging the X-button to reply "..." to everything just to speed up the proceedings and get past the waffle.

Truth be told, I don't like overbearing stories in games. Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but I play games for the gameplay. Take AC3 for example, I skipped 95% of its cutscenes, only leaving the odd one playing when I want to go and make a drink or roll a cigarette. I don't care about the story, the game tells me what I actually need to know when I start doing stuff on the pad. The rest is over extravagant and unnecessary filler material. But I digress...

Actually, I might try and re-download ep1 in a week or so after the free offer runs out, just to see if it makes the Marketplace explode because I'm re-downloading a game they'll be charging for that I got for free to begin with. Or something.

richardiox wrote:
    I own Grim Fandango and the original Monkey Islands. And I played Discworld and a couple of the Broken Swords once. Do they count?

Edited by Spong at 16:58:38 28-12-2012
  • oceanmotion 28 Dec 2012 17:00:59 15,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a fair observation, they could innovate some aspects and take it to another level making a better experience. I think if you said it was a shit game because of point and click, that is unfair but discussing the lesser aspects is okay. Genre refinement and shakeup can be a good thing instead of staying too true to the format.
  • Page

of 631 First / Last