Super Mario Galaxy 2 Page 4

• Page

of 46 First / Last

• JuanKerr 3 Jun 2009 11:59:25 36,251 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just had a quick go on SMG - got one star on the Battlerock Galaxy. Forgot how good the music on that game is :)
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 12:01:45
    Guess I'll have to buy another Wii at some point then...
  • ShogunAssassin 3 Jun 2009 13:27:34 471 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Also, just a thought, but SMG clearly took its cue from SMB3, whereas there is something about this one - some of the worlds shown in the trailer, and not least the inclusion of Yoshi - that makes me think that SMW was the inspiration this time. It also looks as if some of the planets will be much bigger, if that snowy bit in the trailer is anything to go by.

I thought the exact same thing. Especially some of the wooden levels.

Although Iīm more of a fan of SMB3, this still looks fantastic.

I canīt remember the last time I was this excited about a game. Too bad it probably wonīt come out before autumn next year ;_;
  • K-Project 3 Jun 2009 13:55:08 366 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cid wrote:
    I was a little concerned that the music in the trailer wasn't orchestrated, but if you look back at the original Galaxy trailer that wasn't either. Probably one of the last things they add.

Yeah, that's something that concerned me too watching the trailer. Note to Miyamoto: keep the orchestra. We don't want a return to the midi style music thanks. I love the Ghibli sound of SMG. It's a massive component of the game for me.

Otherwise I'm really looking forward to this. To be honest I didn't really want them to make SMG and then stick a 2 on a follow up, but hopefully it'll be different and fresh enough to have warranted it.

And it should have a really good ghostie level. I love the ghostie levels!
  • JuanKerr 3 Jun 2009 13:58:56 36,251 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    K-Project wrote:

Did you not see the Ghost level in the trailer?!
  • JinTypeNoir 3 Jun 2009 13:59:19 4,392 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    K-Project wrote:

Raise your hand if you think the ghost levels in Super Mario World were the series' best. *raises hand* I hope they don't make any sort of sense just like the ones from Mario World.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 14:01:34
    o/
  • Kay 3 Jun 2009 14:10:31 17,894 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved the Ghostly Galaxy setting (and music) in SMG, but the actual levels themselves weren't the best. Apart from maybe the matter splatter one. A return to SMW-style puzzles and hidden exits would be great.

K-Project wrote:
    Yeah, that's something that concerned me too watching the trailer. Note to Miyamoto: keep the orchestra. We don't want a return to the midi style music thanks. I love the Ghibli sound of SMG. It's a massive component of the game for me.

Seeing that SMG got critical acclaim as much for its orchestral soundtrack as its gameplay, it would be a very stupid move to go back to MIDI for the sequel. Like I said a few posts up, I just hope they don't reuse tracks from SMG. If anything screams 'lazy sequel' that would be it.
  • K-Project 3 Jun 2009 14:12:56 366 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    K-Project wrote:

Did you not see the Ghost level in the trailer?!

Only the merest hint of one (I think). I loved the ghostie level in SMG, but it just wasn't big enough. I want more Mario ghosties dammit!

JinTypeNoir wrote:
    K-Project wrote:

Raise your hand if you think the ghost levels in Super Mario World were the series' best. *raises hand* I hope they don't make any sort of sense just like the ones from Mario World.

Actually you're probably right. I can't think of any other Mario game with better ghostie levels. My favourite ghostie levels ever in a Nintendo platformer weren't actually in the Mario games, but in Banjo Kazooie. The whole level was Halloween themed and was absolutely brilliant. Turning into a pumpkin and jumping down the lav FTW! :D
  • Kay 3 Jun 2009 14:15:10 17,894 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mad Monster Mansion, I think it was in BK. Loved that level, and the music. :)
  • JuanKerr 3 Jun 2009 14:15:48 36,251 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree, the Ghost Levels on SMW were immense. I loved the music as well. An orchestral take on that for SMG would be effing brilliant.
  • JinTypeNoir 3 Jun 2009 14:18:23 4,392 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of Mario World ghost levels, does anyone remember that one bastard of a level where you have to ignore the question block and just go through the door, otherwise you can't proceed, but the game always places you in a position that makes it seem important and like it's a puzzle you can solve, but that isn't the actual exit? That one used to make me insane.

And of course I think we can all remember the sunken ghost ship that led into Bowser's valley, the one with the ghosts all over the place that fade in and out of view. Gosh, you know I used to think the inspiration for the Asshole Mario mods was as far removed from Nintendo's design philosophy as possible, but looking back on it, there are lot of mean, sneaky secrets in Mario games!
  • Sean.Aaron 3 Jun 2009 14:55:51 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I certainly hope they don't amp the difficulty level and especially that any unlockable characters or gameplay modes don't hinge upon %100 completion which is why I sold SMG despite enjoying much of it (a first for any game with Mario in the title outside of Dr. Mario and Mario Bros.).
  • JuanKerr 3 Jun 2009 14:57:54 36,251 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    100% completion on SMG really wasn't that tough. Probably one of the easier Mario games to complete I'd say.
  • faux_carnation 3 Jun 2009 14:58:05 9,348 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hope this is shorter, and harder
  • Syrette 3 Jun 2009 14:58:54 43,528 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    I don't get why people sell consoles(unless they are poor) as this is exactly what happens.

The Wii is poor. Not everyone thinks the incredibly predictable franchise updates like this are console-saving.

• Deleted user 3 June 2009 15:03:30
    Yeah they are.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 3 Jun 2009 15:05:06 11,334 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote: 100% completion on SMG really wasn't that tough. Probably one of the easier Mario games to complete I'd say.
    Yeah, it's true, but there were a few there that were really bastard hard in fairness. I've just been looking at the footage again thereon EGTV, and now I'm actually pretty psyched to play this game. ^_^

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• JuanKerr 3 Jun 2009 15:08:25 36,251 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    I don't get why people sell consoles(unless they are poor) as this is exactly what happens.

The Wii is poor. Not everyone thinks the incredibly predictable franchise updates like this are console-saving.

It may not be 'console saving' but games like SMG do make people by the console and also justify many people's purchase of the console. It's not unique to the Wii - lots of people buy a 360 mainly for the next Halo game or a PS3 for the next Gran Turismo.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 15:20:37
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    ecosse_011172 wrote:

Us Wii owners have to take what we can get though! It is true though, the Wii was ok a couple of years ago at launch. Two years of mostly waggly rubbish later however and its hard to see how Nintendo are going to paint themselves out of the corner theyre in with such underpowered hardware.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 3 Jun 2009 15:22:42 11,334 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ruggedtoast wrote: Us Wii owners have to take what we can get though! It is true though, the Wii was ok a couple of years ago at launch. Two years of mostly waggly rubbish later however and its hard to see how Nintendo are going to paint themselves out of the corner they're in with such underpowered hardware.
    With good software. :)

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Deleted user 3 June 2009 15:26:08
    IGN: You have a bit more insight on the development of Galaxy 2. What's the direction for the game? Do they really want to blow it out or will it be more of the same?

Reggie: What Mr. Miyamoto has shared is that if the first Galaxy was maybe more inviting in terms of all the audiences, what Galaxy 2 is going to be is maybe a little more Nintendo fan / harder gamer focused. A little tougher. The use of Yoshi makes it a little more challenging. We showed some of the snippets of some of the activities -- it's a bit more challenging. It's going to be, if you will, for more of that passionate Mario fan who grew up getting challenged with Super Mario World. It's going to be much more in that area.

I didn't really care about Galaxy's difficulty, to be honest. Although there were a couple of ridiculously easy stars in there.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 3 Jun 2009 15:27:44 7,301 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Personally I think the software lineup of the last few months is far surpassing the first two years of the Wii. While it was never as bad as a lot of people made out it has only been recently that I am buying so many Wii games that I didn't get anything else for other platforms. No new 360, DS or PC games. The latest WiiWare releases also have a lot do with it. If you ask me the underpowered hardware at the moment is less of a problem than it was; Developers finally got it and know what works and what does not (graphically) so it's far less obvious.
  • Sean.Aaron 3 Jun 2009 15:28:26 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    100% completion on SMG really wasn't that tough. Probably one of the easier Mario games to complete I'd say.

Agreed that it was easier (which is why I enjoyed it, unlike say SMB3 or SM64), but I couldn't crack the shadow races and so never got to experience Luigi...seriously alternate game modes or whatever shouldn't be saved for getting every last star; alternate ending movies or whatever fine, but I don't think it's right to get nada for finishing the basic game.

@Emil: yes, I completely agree. Last year I pretty much bought every title of interest upon release; now I'm being more selective and building up a backlog of titles. I have to keep reminding myself that the Wii has no games...lol.
  • JetSetWilly 3 Jun 2009 15:31:04 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I never thought Galaxy's difficulty was all that different to any of the other 3D Mario games. There were plenty of ridiculously easy stars in SM64 and beating the game wasn't all that difficult.
  • Tonka 3 Jun 2009 15:32:33 20,451 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ruggedtoast wrote:
    Two years of mostly waggly rubbish later however and its hard to see how Nintendo are going to paint themselves out of the corner theyre in with such underpowered hardware.

Paint themselves out of what corner? The market leader in all territories corner?

Yeah, how on earth will they get themselves out of that predicament I wonder...

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Sean.Aaron 3 Jun 2009 15:35:27 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Paint themselves out of what corner? The market leader in all territories corner?

Yeah, how on earth will they get themselves out of that predicament I wonder...

And I believe the system's been out for nearly three years, yes?
  • JuanKerr 3 Jun 2009 15:37:08 36,251 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sean.Aaron wrote:
    seriously alternate game modes or whatever shouldn't be saved for getting every last star

I think they should - it's a reward for those gamers who have put the effort in to complete the entire game.
  • Tonka 3 Jun 2009 15:43:16 20,451 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I must be fucking rubbish because there are some stars (shadow mario races especially) that I know I will never be able to get.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Page

of 46 First / Last