UPDATE: Creative Assembly has delayed slightly the Caesar in Gaul campaign pack to Tuesday 17th December "in order to give us a bit more time to squeeze in some additions to the accompanying patch".
"The good news is that the extra changes we're squeezing in will have a knock-on benefit to the main game, so even if you don't purchase the DLC you'll still see improvements," the studio said.
Patch eight will be released at the same time as the DLC. The update makes technical and performance improvements, including crash fixes, adds a new culture system and further improves the AI.
Patch 8.1 goes into open beta 48 hours after the launch of Caesar in Gaul.
ORIGINAL STORY: Total War: Rome 2 will receive its first campaign expansion Caesar in Gaul on 12th December, publisher Sega has announced.
Priced at £9.99 / €14.99 / $14.99, this add-on is said to feature a "tighter scope" than the core campaign in terms of its timeline (58-51BC) and geography, and will allow players to choose between four factions: the Gallic Arverni, the Germanic Suebi, the Belgic Nervii and Rome.
The DLC will bring with it a new map of Gaul and southern Britannia with 18 provinces to conquer, and players will be able to assume the roles of such characters as Caesar and Vercingetorix.
Since Caesar in Gaul transpires over a shorter time frame than the main campaign, the turn count for each year has been bumped up to 24. There will also be seasonal changes to distinguish the different sections of this shorter campaign.
Additionally, the expansion unlocks three new factions for the full Rome 2 campaign: the Nervii, the Boii and the Galatians - each with their own new units, as detailed below:
- Boii (Rome 2) - Sword Followers, Veteran Spears
- Galatians (Rome 2) - Legionaries, Raiders
- Gallic tribes (Rome 2 and Caesar in Gaul) - Chosen Swordsmen, Chosen Spearmen, Gallic Hunters
- Nervii (Rome 2 and Caesar in Gaul) - Fierce Swords, Guerilla Swordsmen, Mighty Horse, Naked Spears, Gallic Hunters
- Auxiliaries - Gallic Hunters, Noble Horse, Naked Swords, Short Swords
- Mercenaries - Gallic Hunters, Noble Horse, Naked Swords, Short Swords