Fading Shadows

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • HiddenAway 7 Nov 2007 08:58:39 14,789 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New puzzler from Ivolgamus the ones that gave you the err kid friendly RPG Falling Stars.

Fading Shdows

Fading Shadows is an entirely unique style of puzzle game designed especially for PSP® gaming. It places you in a mysterious fantasy world packed with interesting obstacles and impressive level layouts. Make your way through challenging puzzles and test your skills as you must outthink and outmaneuver the riddles. In Fading Shadows, you take control of a beam of light to guide a crystal tear through a magical world of adventure and intrigue. Overcome the obstacles, change your crystal form to wood to conquer water, and shift to metal where hardness is needed.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Bant78 7 Nov 2007 09:36:06 20 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    should be farting shadows, looks like a poor man's Final Fantasy.

• dirigiblebill 7 Nov 2007 09:39:27 1,634 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Like hell it does. I think this could be well worth waiting for.
  • toy_brain 7 Nov 2007 09:40:19 1,256 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /adds to 'interesting, keep an eye on' list.
  • Bant78 7 Nov 2007 13:57:59 20 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    oops my bad.

I take it back.

does look a little more involved than the Robin Hood game

http://www.oxygenintpress.com/shared/showfile.asp?r=-1&pk=4426211&a=full&i=215&f=RobinHood%5F2%2Ejpg

which really is shit. Sorry again.
  • pjmaybe 7 Nov 2007 14:05:03 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The OLD Robin Hood game was utterly beautiful to look at. Played a lot like Commandos.

Can't remember who it was by but look at the screenies, each one's like a piece of artwork.

http://www.macworld.com/images/content/robinhood.jpg

http://www.armchairempire.com/images/Reviews/pc/robin-hood-legend-sherwood/robin-hood-legend-sherwood-4.jpg

http://www.webalice.it/fulvio.peruggi/public/Pegasos&MorphOS/Articles/06_MorphOS_TLOS/robinh_000.jpg

Played quite nicely too IIRC from the demo.

Peej
  • Tiger_Walts 7 Nov 2007 14:08:57 16,516 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I tend not to expect much when a game has to list 'Tutorial Mode' as one of it's selling points.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• HiddenAway 23 Nov 2007 20:35:25 14,789 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Download the first trailer

Odd game...

• toy_brain 8 Mar 2008 09:30:53 1,256 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well its out, GAME in Durham had 2 copies - seemed like they were the only place stocking it - and now they only have 1 because I decided to take a chance on it.

Not sure how much interest there is for this game so I dunno how much I should bother typing. I guess I'll just do pro's and con's for now. This is based on 2-3 hours of play time, and I'm up to level 18 or 19 (out of 40).

Pro's:
    It was only £15. Thats not too bad.
    Really nice still artwork scattered throughout the game.
    Puzzles so far have been varied. Mixes up precise ball-control bits with mazes, switch puzzles, light-refraction and other stuff.
    The levels all look like they lead on from one another, which gives the game a sense of a real journey taking place.
    GFX engine does a decent enough job. Some nice light and blurring efects going on. Levels generally look decent.
    Camera behaves itself most of the time.

Con's:
    Camera dosent behave itself ALL of the time.
    Loading times are about 35 seconds between each level. The first few levels are literally 10 seconds long. Most later levels are 10 minutes long, give or take.
    Controlling the ball can be annoying at times. Some of the levels have intentionally frustrating design that makes it too easy to lose your ball off the edge of the world.
    The game uses a lives system, and kicks you back to the title screen when its game over - which means another 35-second load to get back to where you were. Why no continue option?
    Uneven difficulty. I got stuck for a while on one level, only to do the next couple very quickly, then get stuck again after that.

Overall I'm fairly happy with my purchase. Its rough in places and made some stupid basic design choices, but so far its actually been quite compelling. Even on one really frustrating level I was playing late last night I found it very hard to leave the game alone until I'd cracked it. And then when I had I still stayed on to play a couple more levels after that.
    I get the feeling this may be quite a short game though. Given that I'm on level 18 or 19 after 3(ish) hours play, this may be a 6-hour job depending on how the rest of the game shakes down.
    Still, for 15 quid......
  • HiddenAway 8 Mar 2008 12:50:51 14,789 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interesting views. I did look to get this eventually but I've seen almost zero reviews for the game.

Head's banging the table regarding the longish load times though. I thought we were over that barrier :-(

• Kitt-FDUK 14 Mar 2008 16:16:18 395 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've just reviewed it for pocketgamer.co.uk here Fading Shadows review
  • Murbal 14 Mar 2008 16:43:37 21,544 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kitt-FDUK wrote:

Thanks for the link Kirsten.

Sounds just like my cup of tea. Shame there's so much out on the PSP at the mo I'm really not sure if I can justify it :-(
  • HiddenAway 14 Mar 2008 20:20:42 14,789 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kitt-FDUK wrote:

You're the reviewer at Pocket Gamer?! :o

• seasidebaz 19 Mar 2008 09:30:37 6,126 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    very bizarre game, got to about level 10... not sure if i like it or not yet...
  • Murbal 4 Jun 2008 10:21:08 21,544 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    £14.96 @ Amazon

Time to take the plunge! Especially given prices and availability elsewhere :-)
  • Murbal 11 Jun 2008 10:06:49 21,544 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Loading issues aside (they are long unfortunately), this is a natty albeit slightly frustrating puzzler. Another one to add the the growing number on the PSP it seems :-)
  • HiddenAway 11 Jun 2008 11:32:20 14,789 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Loading issues aside (they are long unfortunately), this is a natty albeit slightly frustrating puzzler. Another one to add the the growing number on the PSP it seems :-)

BUGGER!

The game just jacked up in price again :-(

• Murbal 11 Jun 2008 11:39:07 21,544 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Crikey! Not like me to get a deal in good time. You can't say I didn't give you fair warning Haway ;-)

edit: Just picked up Exit 2 cheaply on Ebay on a buy it now too - less than a tenner and considering it's relative rarity I think that's another real bargain.

Must. Stop. Buying. Now.
  • Murbal 2 Jul 2009 16:02:46 21,544 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone tried this from the PS Store? What are the loading times like?
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next