The cycling thread Page 298

• Page

of 341 First / Last

• Benno 9 Feb 2014 14:37:04 9,762 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I have it REALLY bad, your only real options are:

1: Saddle angle, tip the front down a bit. You'll put more pressure on your wrists as you'll need to push back more, but better that than dead cock.

2: New saddle. I had to try a few before I got one that worked. This cost me money, but better that than dead cock.

3: Stand up. Every 15 mins, spend 1 minute out of the seat. If you've got shit fitness then this will hurt at first, but better that than dead cock.
    I've just started getting cock numbness, and its not nice! What sort of saddle do you recommend to try and remedy the problem?

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• skiplevels 9 Feb 2014 14:41:23 336 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    think saddles are really individual. people swear by the rolls (I find it really comfy but it's not light). maybe see if your LBS has trial saddles? not sure if that's a thing tho
  • elstoof 9 Feb 2014 14:53:16 6,598 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Selle Italia SLR is the saddle for me, perfectly shaped for my But-tocks.

Nice work Optimus, you've found just how much of an advantage it is to ride in a group I see.
  • OptimusPube 9 Feb 2014 15:09:02 2,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah it was great, hope to do it again soon, lost my pump today but just bought a better one, one that actually pumps up to 100psi, has a velcro strap as well so hopefully wont lose this one

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• Psychotext 9 Feb 2014 16:18:27 53,790 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    skiplevels wrote:
    obviously putting out too many watts, mega!! : )

sucks
    Yup. Clearly a brute force issue, bike couldn't stand up to the awesome.

Benno wrote:
    I've just started getting cock numbness, and its not nice! What sort of saddle do you recommend to try and remedy the problem?
    People swear by ISM Adamo saddles for that (you can trial them here), but I've not tried them personally, and they're not cheap.

I just recently picked up one of these and it's working nicely.

Most important though is measuring your sitbones and then getting a saddle that fits you. Put a bit of foil on some thick cardboard, put it on a step and then sit on it for a while. Stand up, look for the bumps and measure the distance between them. Add around 20mm and that's basically the seat width you want (this varies depending on how you sit).

Edited by Psychotext at 16:24:25 09-02-2014
  • OptimusPube 9 Feb 2014 16:54:21 2,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Can you still get gel seat covers, I remember when they was a thing, even gel saddles?

Fuck I'm old.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• Benno 9 Feb 2014 16:58:39 9,762 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    skiplevels wrote:

sucks

Benno wrote:
    People swear by ISM Adamo saddles for that (you can trial them here), but I've not tried them personally, and they're not cheap.

I just recently picked up one of these and it's working nicely.

Most important though is measuring your sitbones and then getting a saddle that fits you. Put a bit of foil on some thick cardboard, put it on a step and then sit on it for a while. Stand up, look for the bumps and measure the distance between them. Add around 20mm and that's basically the seat width you want (this varies depending on how you sit).
    Brilliant, cheers.

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• elstoof 9 Feb 2014 17:32:35 6,598 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Can you still get gel seat covers, I remember when they was a thing, even gel saddles?

Fuck I'm old.
    Generally, padding on your shorts trumps padding on the saddle. You can get gel saddles though, can't say I'm a fan. Hard saddle that stays the same shape and thin, firm padding on shorts that moves with the but-tocks works best for me, any moulding that the saddle does just stops you from positioning on the saddle properly
  • Megapocalypse 9 Feb 2014 18:30:28 5,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    skiplevels wrote:

sucks
    Thats certainly what I'll be saying when I take it to get it fixed. ;)
  • OptimusPube 9 Feb 2014 18:56:07 2,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    skiplevels wrote:

sucks
    Thats certainly what I'll be saying when I take it to get it fixed. ;)
    :lol:

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• Psychotext 11 Feb 2014 10:29:31 53,790 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Birth of a show bike - Mosaic Bespoke Bicycles.

Part 1

Part 2

Edited by Psychotext at 19:12:02 11-02-2014
  • MikeP 11 Feb 2014 17:39:36 1,765 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dem links don't work :/
  • Psychotext 11 Feb 2014 19:10:56 53,790 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck sake EG, fix your shit.
  • OptimusPube 12 Feb 2014 06:09:52 2,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think I need to invest in a custom saddle as well, my arse bone (coccyx) is still sore from Sunday, I can't ride because of it and it's pissing me off.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• Dougs 12 Feb 2014 09:09:32 66,633 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/29172.aspx

London cyclists might be interested in this....
  • Megapocalypse 12 Feb 2014 14:08:49 5,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sigh... looks like it could take up to 2 weeks to get my bike fixed. :(
  • elstoof 12 Feb 2014 14:25:53 6,598 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What was damaged in the end?
  • MikeP 12 Feb 2014 16:29:46 1,765 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've had to send a pair of wheels back to Wiggle. Brand new Fulcrum 5 - they have a bearing adjuster that sits on the axle. That tightened itself up on the first long ride, to the point where the wheel would hardly spin.

They've now referred them back to the supplier, but I'm going to kick up a right stink if they don't refund me. It's a poor design, and how can you trust a pair of wheels that go out of adjustment that easily?
  • elstoof 12 Feb 2014 16:57:57 6,598 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The grub screw on one side of the hub? Quite a few Campy/Fulcrums have that. Never had any problems with my Campy Zondas (Fulcrum R3 equivalent) or my Record hubs. Which wheel went off?
  • Megapocalypse 12 Feb 2014 18:08:58 5,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @elstoof needs a new mech and hanger. Mechs easy enough, but the hanger has to be ordered from cannondale which can take time.
  • MikeP 12 Feb 2014 18:38:44 1,765 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    The grub screw on one side of the hub? Quite a few Campy/Fulcrums have that. Never had any problems with my Campy Zondas (Fulcrum R3 equivalent) or my Record hubs. Which wheel went off?
    Yep, that's the widget. Front wheel was the problem. Now it's out of adjustment and it can't be made to run properly. With no slop on the axle the bearing is rough and rumbly, to make it run smooth there's play in the whole system. Not good.

I've ordered a set of Ambrosios instead, and I'm just going to gun for a refund.
  • elstoof 12 Feb 2014 18:39:24 6,598 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    These guys might be quicker, but I'm sure Cannondale's distributors would have loads knocking around the place. I'm surprised the shop don't to be honest.
  • elstoof 12 Feb 2014 18:42:37 6,598 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can only think it's a faulty hub Mike, but you're well entitled to a refund. Distance selling rules and all that, you've got a cooling off period by law. Shame, Campag hubs are, basically, "lush", with cup and cone bearings for easy fettling.
  • Psychotext 13 Feb 2014 11:22:37 53,790 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Floodtain Biking

Edited by Psychotext at 11:22:51 13-02-2014
  • thenastypasty 13 Feb 2014 21:46:48 5,180 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone ever taken part in one of the Evans cycles ride it events? There's an event close to me in April that's should be achieveable, and I was wondering what they are like.
  • andytheadequate 13 Feb 2014 22:33:46 8,075 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @thenastypasty - I'm doing the mountain bike one in Leeds in March so I'll let you know. Which one you looking at doing?
  • thenastypasty 14 Feb 2014 18:36:46 5,180 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm looking at doing 2 tbh. One in Cheshire and one in north Wales both are within 30 mins of me :)
  • Megapocalypse 14 Feb 2014 18:45:12 5,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @thenastypasty Did one (or atleast started one) last weekend. Didn't seem quite as well organised at the Cycling Events UK ones that I'd done but was still very good. Most importantly, the staff were very happy to come and pick me up when the bike broke, and were helping others with problems that they could fix.
  • skiplevels 14 Feb 2014 18:48:12 336 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    actually looks like it'll be dry here (glasgow) tomorrow for what feels like the first weekend in about 4/5 months

yaldi

hoping that draws out some of the fairer weather cyclists in the club - will be good to see how my 4/5 months riding in the rain fares me in comparison to them. bring on the hills!!!

Edited by skiplevels at 18:49:15 14-02-2014
  • Psychotext 14 Feb 2014 21:22:35 53,790 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I might try one of those Evans events some time in the year. Not that I don't have a million or so various things planned already though. :D
  • Page

of 341 First / Last