The cycling thread Page 264

• Page

of 356 First / Last

• Psychotext 2 Oct 2013 11:46:59 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Altura Trail Centre is near by to Keswick.
    Not really the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'm thinking more like this: Threlkeld to Keswick

Basically completely non technical, "family friendly". I have LOADS that are on road, but I really can't judge how quiet their "quiet country roads" will be.

Edited by Psychotext at 11:47:36 02-10-2013
  • MikeP 2 Oct 2013 12:02:28 1,867 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Buy her a Cyclocross bike. Then she can just do whatever she goddamn likes.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• MikeP 2 Oct 2013 12:07:07 1,867 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Trafford wrote:
    Altura Trail Centre is near by to Keswick.
    Not really the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'm thinking more like this: Threlkeld to Keswick

Basically completely non technical, "family friendly". I have LOADS that are on road, but I really can't judge how quiet their "quiet country roads" will be.
    That's hard to say, but if they are anything like the roads I used for The Way of the Roses, there will be next to nothing on them. Also, I have to say I found the drivers really courteous and patient. Which was nice.

• MikeP 2 Oct 2013 12:10:27 1,867 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    If she's using it for leisure, i.e. a sunday stroll on the bike for 1 or 2 hours, not a weekly 3-4 hour bike ride, don't buy her a road bike.
    Buy her any type of lady's bike, whether it be hybrid, city bike or whathaveyou but make sure it has a nice and comfy upright seating position and a nice big soft saddle.

Leisure = leisure. Roadbikes = fitness/sports.

It sounds to me like your Mrs will be looking for this
    http://washford.scene7.com/is/image/Washford/551002?$PDP_MAIN$

Rather than this
    http://washford.scene7.com/is/image/Washford/227780?$PDP_MAIN$
    I have to say that I really disagree. My missus rides mostly for leisure and commuting, and swapped to a road bike, which she finds way more comfy.

Sit up and beg bikes are great if you're not riding continually for more than 20-30 mins, but they are pretty limited. Fine if you want to be Miss Marple and pick up a Victoria Sponge before investigating a murder at the Vicarage, but beyond that, not so much. :)

• Benno 2 Oct 2013 15:33:31 9,900 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey guys

What do you think of this bike?

I have done a bit of reading, and it seems to get decent reviews (the 2013 and before versions anyway). Its nicely within my price range, and seems aimed at longer distance riding (sportives) due to the more vertical ride position (which will suit me well!). Do the components look okay for the price? I honestly have no idea :p

Also, will a 61cm frame be okay for me? I am just under 6"6", but a lot of bikes don't seem to go beyond 61cm (and a lot of my height is in my legs). I am assuming there is enough adjustment in the saddle and handlebars position that my little extra height isn't going to ruin things for me?

Thanks for your help.
  • Psychotext 2 Oct 2013 15:41:58 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't speak for that bike, but Felt tend to make pretty good bikes in general.
  • Psychotext 2 Oct 2013 16:04:33 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just picked up my bike from the LBS. New fork and headset fitted, got the wheels trued too. Don't know why, but they put one of the spacers on top of my stem rather than under it... but that's easy enough to sort.

Might actually leave it that way for the weekend to see how it feels.
  • Trafford 2 Oct 2013 16:16:28 5,791 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah Altura was the only thing I could think of without a map. There will be loads though.
  • elstoof 2 Oct 2013 16:16:36 7,361 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe the mechanic is part of Slam That Stem movement.
  • MikeP 2 Oct 2013 16:50:55 1,867 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's best practice to put a spacer on top of the stem when the fork has a carbon fibre steerer.

That way there's reduced risk of the clamping force crimping the end of steerer tube inwards. If it's a CF fork that'll crack it, introducing :(

• Psychotext 2 Oct 2013 17:00:00 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is a fork for real men though. :p
  • elstoof 2 Oct 2013 17:48:03 7,361 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    More importantly, a 5mm spacer above the stem looks way pro.
  • MikeP 2 Oct 2013 18:16:03 1,867 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    More importantly, a 5mm spacer above the stem looks way pro.
    That too.

• elstoof 2 Oct 2013 18:52:15 7,361 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Currently got 2cm above mine because I just haven't got round to cutting the steerer yet. Amateur.
  • MikeP 2 Oct 2013 19:20:38 1,867 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mate.

• tincanrocket 2 Oct 2013 20:04:15 3,005 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just got home by bike, having had a bus driver blare his horn at me after I had turned out of a side road into a cycle lane (hearing a horn behind you at a close distance on a bike ain't nice) - he then overtook me and deliberately moved into the cycle lane to force me to break or strike the kerb. Don't they realise many cyclists use go-pro cameras these days? Sadly I don't have one, but I took a picture of his bus and have just registered an official complaint with his employers.

This isn't the first time this has happened recently - last time the driver opened his doors and started shouting stuff about me 'ending up under the wheels of his bus'. I'm a careful and experienced cyclist, ride to work every day (and have been for almost 20 years), and always have lights at night. Anyone else have to deal with this kind of thing daily? Might have to invest in a camera for my bike.
  • Psychotext 2 Oct 2013 20:13:57 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be honest, it's shit like that which switched me from being a roadie (yes, there was a time when I rode on the road exclusively) to being a mountain biker.

There are just so many cyclist hating wankers who drive near me that I figured eventually I was going to get killed or go to jail for reacting the wrong way.

Edited by Psychotext at 20:14:15 02-10-2013
  • andytheadequate 2 Oct 2013 20:59:27 8,179 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The joys of mountain biking is that when you go over your handle bars, you know it's your own fault.

Any tips for biking in the dark? It'll mainly be off road but there may be some short on road sections
  • Psychotext 2 Oct 2013 21:19:52 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dark, what's that?

Edited by Psychotext at 21:21:35 02-10-2013
  • Psychotext 3 Oct 2013 00:42:16 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well that was silly, intended to do an easy-ish session on the trainer today, picked a new workout that I'd not used before and by the time I was done had set three new personal records.

Might regret that. =/
  • MikeP 3 Oct 2013 10:55:58 1,867 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Well that was silly, intended to do an easy-ish session on the trainer today, picked a new workout that I'd not used before and by the time I was done had set three new personal records.

Might regret that. =/
    You can taper over the next three days by drinking pints. Perfect!

• MikeP 3 Oct 2013 11:01:46 1,867 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    Just got home by bike, having had a bus driver blare his horn at me after I had turned out of a side road into a cycle lane (hearing a horn behind you at a close distance on a bike ain't nice) - he then overtook me and deliberately moved into the cycle lane to force me to break or strike the kerb. Don't they realise many cyclists use go-pro cameras these days? Sadly I don't have one, but I took a picture of his bus and have just registered an official complaint with his employers.

This isn't the first time this has happened recently - last time the driver opened his doors and started shouting stuff about me 'ending up under the wheels of his bus'. I'm a careful and experienced cyclist, ride to work every day (and have been for almost 20 years), and always have lights at night. Anyone else have to deal with this kind of thing daily? Might have to invest in a camera for my bike.
    Last time this happened to my mate (and it is a mate, not me!) he let the bus drive off, followed it, and the next time it stopped flipped up the engine cover and hit the emergency engine cut button.

I see surprisingly little aggressive behaviour given how much I ride. I actually think London drivers are getting more used to cyclists due to weight of numbers. However, some of the drivers of Essex, Kent and Surrey are really impatient, self-important, dangerous, dicks.

When I did the C2C I was pleasantly surprised by the attitude of motorists. It felt like you were given more time and space. Maybe it's just that Northerners are nicer people ;-)

• Psychotext 3 Oct 2013 11:02:17 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One thing is certain, the workout I pick today will be one I know well... and it sure as hell wont be a challenging one.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 11:56:50
    fuck cars & fuck wind imo
  • Psychotext 3 Oct 2013 12:24:06 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not the first time I've read about four wheel mountain biking, but all the same, this was a really great / inspiring read.

Four Wheels Better Than None
  • robc84 3 Oct 2013 12:32:51 5,623 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    The joys of mountain biking is that when you go over your handle bars, you know it's your own fault.

Any tips for biking in the dark? It'll mainly be off road but there may be some short on road sections
    I'm not a massively experienced cyclist, but I try to cycle to work a couple of times a week. Its about 4 miles 1 way, 3 on the river 1 on the road.

Obviously good lights are a must, along with bright / reflective clothing. I just take the road sections nice and careful. I have a flashing red rear light and and LED one at the front. Reflective jacket and a reflective band that I tie to my bag. Seems to do the job.

I actually quite enjoy riding along the tow-path in the dark. Really peaceful. But watch out for idiots riding / walking without lights, nearly been in the river a couple of times when they appear from nowhere!
  • Psychotext 3 Oct 2013 12:56:09 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have persuaded my nephew to do Wiggle's falling leaves event, now I just need to see if I can get my missus interested in doing it.
  • Carlo 3 Oct 2013 14:20:07 18,059 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Have persuaded my nephew to do Wiggle's falling leaves event, now I just need to see if I can get my missus interested in doing it.
    /Phnar

PSN ID: Djini

• Psychotext 3 Oct 2013 14:45:16 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd be more likely to get her to do the event than have sex. =/
  • Psychotext 4 Oct 2013 10:37:35 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks like rain on Sunday for the monster miles. Bollocks. =/
  • Page

of 356 First / Last