The cycling thread Page 242

• Page

of 373 First / Last

• elstoof 14 Jul 2013 15:40:58 8,092 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think that rather than the dominant riders of today doping, we've just had an awful lot of average riders having more success than they should have in recent years - Contador obviously needs a bit of clenbuterol to get going and Andy Schleck needs whatever his brother was flushing out with those diuretics. That prick got dropped on the second kilometre of the climb for fucks sake, you don't go from tour winner to douche in 3 years at his age.
  • MikeP 14 Jul 2013 17:07:27 2,048 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The high-end of today's finishers are 10% slower than Pantani's win in 2000. Make of that what you will.

Oxygen was being given by the tour doctors by some of the high-placing finishers today at the line too.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• elstoof 15 Jul 2013 17:56:05 8,092 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Picked up my Master 30th frame today. Now that's a Thing alright, looks even better than I imagined it would.
  • pistol 15 Jul 2013 21:55:21 13,019 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Get the Times this weekend if you want to read what David Walsh thinks of Sky. He's spent some time with them and has some pretty strong views.
  • elstoof 16 Jul 2013 07:43:29 8,092 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's interesting, he can't win either way with that article. I can see why he'd accept an invite to spend time with the team but it won't help his credibility much either way - ST/News Int. won't publish a negative article, while a positive one will see him accused of selling himself.

It'll be an good insight into the workings of the team though, I'm looking forward to it. Unlike the social media buzz all I saw on Ventoux was a ton of riders looking woefully underprepared, like it was the first time they'd ever heard of the place let alone figured out how to pace the ride.
  • Trafford 16 Jul 2013 08:04:31 5,934 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Froome had trained on Ventoux I heard.
    You could tell by the look on his face as he crossed the line he wanted that win.
  • THFourteen 16 Jul 2013 08:19:25 34,259 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE MY STUPID COMPANY TO PAY FOR A FECKING CYCLE TO WORK CERTIFICATE

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
  • elstoof 16 Jul 2013 08:39:03 8,092 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The whole team did a recce of the climb apparently, planning how to tackle it, getting Kennaugh and Porte there with Froome as fresh as possible and carefully managing the power output all the way up. They seemingly planned the tour around this stage as one to attack and it looks like it paid off, everyone else looked like they'd badly undercooked it.

It's just a shame people are frothing at the gash trying to be the loudest critic out there. We get it, doping is bad for the sport but so is baseless accusation.
  • Salaman 16 Jul 2013 08:39:15 19,466 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Unlike the social media buzz all I saw on Ventoux was a ton of riders looking woefully underprepared, like it was the first time they'd ever heard of the place let alone figured out how to pace the ride.
    I don't think the issue was riders not being able to pace the ride. The trouble uphill is pacing it is all you can do really. If your competitors up the pace and you follow it, pushing yourself in the red, you're going to pay for it soon and you'll be dropped.
    The best thing you can do is let them go, find your pace and hope you catch them later on.

I saw 2, 3 people that managed to set a brutal pace, killing everyone else stone dead. Some tried to match the pace despite knowing better and paid for it, some let them go.

Granted it almost looked like a bunch of amateur riders compared to the pace at the front but what can you do, if you don't have the legs on that day, or you've peaked too early or have not peaked yet, haven't recuperated sufficiently, etc.
  • Vortex808 16 Jul 2013 08:45:24 7,472 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Get the Times this weekend if you want to read what David Walsh thinks of Sky. He's spent some time with them and has some pretty strong views.
    Is that in the sunday times?

A couple of weeks ago he was reasonably ambivalent, last sun he was less so.

If it's in this saturday' s edition then I'll have to try to buy that.
  • elstoof 16 Jul 2013 09:24:30 8,092 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's pretty much what I just said Sal :p
  • Deleted user 16 July 2013 09:45:37
    Posted Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, Monsters (DVD), and Racedriver: Grid (PS3) this morning.
  • pistol 16 Jul 2013 10:21:21 13,019 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Froome had trained on Ventoux I heard.
    You could tell by the look on his face as he crossed the line he wanted that win.
    The only time Froome had been up the Vontoux prior to the stage win was in a TV documentary called The Ride filmed a few weeks ago when 2 competition winners rode up the Vontoux and Alpe Duez with Froome and Stephen Roche.
  • pistol 16 Jul 2013 10:22:49 13,019 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    Is that in the sunday times?

A couple of weeks ago he was reasonably ambivalent, last sun he was less so.

If it's in this saturday' s edition then I'll have to try to buy that.
    Not sure if it's Sat but over the next few days for sure. I don't think he's found anything to be suspicious about but still wants them to reveal more info. He was with them in Spain for 2 or 3 weeks on a training camp.
  • Salaman 16 Jul 2013 10:36:08 19,466 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    That's pretty much what I just said Sal :p
    Was it? :-)
    I thought you were saying they simply weren't prepared and didn't know how to pace themselves in order to last the whole 21k. I assumed they know how to pace themselves but that pace was way too slow to keep up with Sky rocket taking off.

Well I'm with pistol in this case! What he said.
  • MikeP 16 Jul 2013 11:18:43 2,048 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @elstoof Pictures, please. :)

• Trafford 16 Jul 2013 11:47:10 5,934 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @pistol. Commentary guy on ITV4 must be mistaken then.

@Elstoof, pictures would be good, or are we waiting for the full build?
  • elstoof 16 Jul 2013 12:37:32 8,092 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    “We planned that performance for quite some time,” he aid. “Chris has been out to Ventoux to recce the climb, thought very carefully about how to ride it, how to ride as a team. And when you see that performance unfolding in front of you exactly as had been planned for some time, and Chris rode so fantastically at the end to win the stage, it was quite an emotional thing to watch."

Brailsford, yesterday.
  • elstoof 16 Jul 2013 12:39:40 8,092 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll take some pictures of the frame tonight, the full build might be a while away. Currently debating what length of bloody spoke to order in for the wheels...
  • elstoof 16 Jul 2013 20:30:00 8,092 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Here we go, it's a love/hate paint scheme so thankfully I love it. Didn't when I first saw it in pictures but now it's here I'm so glad it's the blue rather than the red or black and I can even pretend I ride for Mapei when it's built.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A3GY8gBYuqFZ4

I took down a Campy Record headset which the shop installed for me as I don't have any need to splurge on a headset press - when I was stroking the frame in bed last night I spotted the snapped off bit on the crown race as per the last picture. A bit gutted about that. It's only a dust cover essentially, the bearings don't sit directly on that part so no structural issue but I know it's there now.

Even if I was the kind of guy able to phone the shop and whinge that they snapped off a bit of metal from my headset, it would involve another 3 hour round trip to Kingston to get it sorted and look like a tosser for the privilege.

Anyone got a spare Record threadless headset crown race knocking about? :D
  • MikeP 16 Jul 2013 21:53:28 2,048 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That is so Italian :) The rider on the top tube is boss.

What groupset are you fitting? I bet you could get a spare for the crown race too.

• mal 16 Jul 2013 21:56:07 22,793 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Meh, it's on the underside so you'll only notice it when you turn it upside down for cleaning or maintenance, although with that sort of set-up I suspect you'll be cleaning it more often than I do my own bike.

I see what you mean about the paint job, though I do approve of your both having lugs, and the way you've painted them. I also approve of the in-line cable braze-ons on the top tube. The fact I can't use my top tube for attaching stuff because the rear brake cable crosses it means I currently can't carry a water bottle and my mini D-lock at the same time.

Lovely looking frame. I hope it rides as well as it looks.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• pistol 16 Jul 2013 21:57:00 13,019 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    @ pistol. Commentary guy on ITV4 must be mistaken then.

@Elstoof, pictures would be good, or are we waiting for the full build?
    Some of the team did it but not Froome, and on the documentary (4th part tomorrow at 12:15pm) and Froome talks about it in part 3.
  • pistol 16 Jul 2013 21:57:52 13,019 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    “We planned that performance for quite some time,” he aid. “Chris has been out to Ventoux to recce the climb, thought very carefully about how to ride it, how to ride as a team. And when you see that performance unfolding in front of you exactly as had been planned for some time, and Chris rode so fantastically at the end to win the stage, it was quite an emotional thing to watch."

Brailsford, yesterday.
    Yes, but the recon was the ride he did for The Ride.
  • elstoof 16 Jul 2013 22:01:28 8,092 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's all a bit hectic isn't it. Still, floats my boat and that's what counts :D

It'll have the black carbon stealthy goodness of a Campy Chorus group on there, got the black Record hubs and almost black Ambrosio rims, just ordered some black DT Revs to lace them up with.

Hunting around for a replacement crown race online, not a lot coming up. It's such a piddly little part, I'll try ringing around some bike shops tomorrow and see if they have one in the parts bin. Otherwise I'll just have to buy another headset, at least I'll have some spares myself that way.
  • Psychotext 16 Jul 2013 22:03:29 54,810 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Managed to get out on the trails again today for the first time in a while. Fucking hot, but good to be out there again. :)
  • elstoof 16 Jul 2013 22:10:05 8,092 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Meh, it's on the underside so you'll only notice it when you turn it upside down for cleaning or maintenance, although with that sort of set-up I suspect you'll be cleaning it more often than I do my own bike.
    Hah, I do a clean at least once a week in my lunch break at work. More in bad weather.

Whipped the fork off the frame just now for a closer look though, it appears the rubber seal behind the metal got damaged too so more chance of crap working its way into the bearings over time. Bit of a pisser that, thought getting the shop to do it would save me cocking it up myself.
  • MikeP 16 Jul 2013 22:46:33 2,048 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @elstoof I'd get on the phone to them, explain the situation, see what they say. Was it Sigma Sport that fitted it?

• elstoof 16 Jul 2013 22:52:24 8,092 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, they're usually pretty good like that. Quite easy to break a crown race while banging it on though, can't believe spares aren't more readily available.
  • Trafford 17 Jul 2013 00:13:48 5,934 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That is an unbelievably cool paint job.
    So damn cool.

@psychotext. Yeah I was out tonight, parts of the trails had turned to sand with the weather.
  • Page

of 373 First / Last