• elstoof 30 Jan 2013 12:29:01 7,498 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /has white saddle and bar tape.

;(
  • Salaman 30 Jan 2013 13:35:57 19,128 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah totally ridiculous! You'll look like a big pooft... euhrh .. I mean horses for courses and all that.

So anyone watching the WC in the States this weekend? Who's going from the UK? Does anyone in the UK actually do cyclocross? Do you even call it cyclocross?

Based on the past weekend's performance and the past month's performance in the field, I'm betting N. Albert or S Nys.

Edited by Salaman at 13:44:22 30-01-2013
  • pistol 30 Jan 2013 14:23:35 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    My new bike arrived yesterday.

I must admit, I was a little nervous about dropping a substantial chunk of change on a mail-order direct sale bike from Germany, but so far everything's gone well.

It was well packaged, came with a comprehensive set of manuals, a torque wrench and everything had been put together with ruthless Germanic efficiency. I didn't even have to adjust the brake blocks. :D

Haven't taken it for a spin yet, they let you send them back within 30 days provided you've only given them a dry-day test run.

Going to tune the position on the Turbo Trainer tonight, then give it a go as soon as it's dry.
    Canyon, yes?

You won't go wrong with a Canyon.

Lovely bikes.
  • pistol 30 Jan 2013 14:26:37 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    How often should you change lids?
    I've had my specialized lid for two years now and not had a tumble but i'm wondering if they have a bin date?
    Personally I wouldn't bother changing it if you haven't crashed. Really can't see the point other than getting bored with a particular model, as I've done over the years.
  • pistol 30 Jan 2013 14:29:01 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:

;(
    I've had white before but can't keep it clean, so have reverted back to black saddle and tape for both bikes.
  • elstoof 30 Jan 2013 14:35:12 7,498 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't mind a bit of dirty bar tape, it's a badge of honour. Ritchey tape seems to keep cleaner than the fizik stuff I've got on one bike though.
  • MikeP 30 Jan 2013 14:39:50 1,880 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:

;(
    It's more that I know there's no way on earth I could keep it clean. Also, the rest bike is so black the white is just screamingly out of place.

And Pistol, it is indeed a Canyon. I went for the Ultimate CF 9.0 in the end.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• elstoof 30 Jan 2013 14:46:45 7,498 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The WorldTour is a slightly less fabulous place this year, Katusha and Europcar failing to get licenced means there's no Canyon or Colnago to be seen and Colnago was the only real chance we had to see disc brakes on the tour. Gone too are Wilier, since Lampre signed up to Merida after losing a sponsor. At least Focus are back, ridden by the Ag2r boys. No really any new frames out there this year either, apart from the Giant Propel and that Merida Scultura which is pretty ghastly looking to be honest.
  • pistol 30 Jan 2013 14:55:04 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I don't mind a bit of dirty bar tape, it's a badge of honour. Ritchey tape seems to keep cleaner than the fizik stuff I've got on one bike though.
    I've used all sorts of tape, including Fizik, but liking Bontrager cork at the moment. Good grip and comfortable.
  • Salaman 30 Jan 2013 15:14:09 19,128 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aaaaah now there's one thing I never pay attention to when I watch the cycling. The bikes. :-)

3.5 weeks before one of the first classics comes to my town. Yaaay!! \0/
  • MikeP 30 Jan 2013 16:05:45 1,880 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Aaaaah now there's one thing I never pay attention to when I watch the cycling. The bikes. :-)

Nice!

I'm riding a 155km sportive on the Liege-Bastogne-Liege route the day before the race in April. First time I've ridden in Europe.

• MikeP 30 Jan 2013 16:12:56 1,880 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Yeah totally ridiculous! You'll look like a big pooft... euhrh .. I mean horses for courses and all that.

So anyone watching the WC in the States this weekend? Who's going from the UK? Does anyone in the UK actually do cyclocross? Do you even call it cyclocross?

Based on the past weekend's performance and the past month's performance in the field, I'm betting N. Albert or S Nys.
    The GB women are really good, Helen Wyman is European CX champion at the moment.

On the men's side we're nowhere as strong, on account of not being Belgian. Which is a massive drawback in cyclocross :D

It's getting more and more popular as a grassroots form of racing in the UX.

• Salaman 30 Jan 2013 16:43:03 19,128 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    On the men's side we're nowhere as strong, on account of not being Belgian. Which is a massive drawback in cyclocross :D
    It's a bit of a problem this. If the top 10 every week is made up completely of Belgian riders, there's no real incentive for the public in other countries to take much of an interest, meaning there's not much of an incentive for sponsors to invest in local teams and young talent, meaning other countries will dither in the margin which over time is just bad for the sport and it appeal. It'll probably remain massively popular over here but if it became truly international it would be better in the long run.

The WC being in the States is a good thing. Although I fear they have a snowball's chance in hell of seeing a local favourite on the highest step of the podium on Sunday.
  • MikeP 30 Jan 2013 17:09:30 1,880 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Americans have really taken to it, they love CX racing. I suspect they will be challenging hard in the next few years.

I'm not sure why the men's UK representation isn't that great, I suspect there's so much focus on road and track that it's a bit neglected at the moment.

I presume you've seen this? Amazingly, Joey was OK.

http://bikehugger.com/post/view/joeys-ok-and-the-new-hotness

• Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 17:18:27 54,300 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I still don't really get CX. I get watching it... it looks entertaining.

Riding it though? Fuck that, it looks terrifying!
  • elstoof 30 Jan 2013 17:20:56 7,498 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still gutted about missing the event at Ally Pally.
  • MikeP 30 Jan 2013 17:23:08 1,880 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Psychotext It's a bit scary. Good scary.

Heart going like a trip hammer as you descend a muddy slope on a bike with drop bars, skinny tyres and questionable brakes. Sometimes in the dark, and in fancy dress. Or while drinking tequila.

What's not to like? :)

• pistol 30 Jan 2013 21:12:13 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Salaman wrote:

Nice!

I'm riding a 155km sportive on the Liege-Bastogne-Liege route the day before the race in April. First time I've ridden in Europe.
    Europe's great, and France and italy in particular are my favourites. They have a real cycling history and car drivers are much more sympathetic to riders. I'm doing Marmotte again in French Alps this July and the Maratona in Italy in 2014.
  • MikeP 31 Jan 2013 09:49:26 1,880 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am relenting on my 'Prostyle can do one' position. The white bar tape can stay, but the saddle's going.

Elstoof, we can be friends again ;)

Edited by MikeP at 09:49:39 31-01-2013

• elstoof 31 Jan 2013 09:58:55 7,498 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yay!

Count yourself lucky though, I've seen a Canyon (or was it a Rose?) with that blocky, black and neon yellow patterned tape that looks like a ZX81 vomited on it. I wasn't down with that, at all.

Speaking of white bikes, I'm found myself staring lustily at pictures of white Colnago Masters of late. I'm thinking of getting shot of the Allez to make space for one, but what to do when the weather is bad... Hmm...
  • MikeP 31 Jan 2013 10:10:18 1,880 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Colnago Masters are beautiful things. I've seen a couple of the Fireflies (an annual charity ride) ones up close.

Never knew they did them in white, I assumed they were always red and chrome.

• elstoof 31 Jan 2013 10:26:30 7,498 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12807129&sid=4786b8d1ee1bf374939a346e98e8dc0c

I'm thinking that because my Allez is white, I can strip down for "servicing" before swapping the frame around for a white Master and my wife will be none the wiser.

The new 30th anniversary paint job is a looker too, pricey though. There's one from the CORE photos here, down the bottom of the page.

http://road.cc/content/news/74837-core-bike-2013-sneak-peek-kinesis-identiti-colnago-cipollini-ritchey-and-trp
  • Vortex808 31 Jan 2013 11:04:17 7,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:

I'm thinking that because my Allez is white, I can strip down for "servicing" before swapping the frame around for a white Master and my wife will be none the wiser.

:)

The things you have to do once married, eh?

I want to get a single-speed bike (probably cyclo-cross), but apparently we need to decorate all the rooms upstairs instead. :(
  • Salaman 31 Jan 2013 11:20:29 19,128 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I still don't really get CX. I get watching it... it looks entertaining.

Riding it though? Fuck that, it looks terrifying!
    As always the pros make it look ridiculously easy.
    I think it was the start of last year's CX (that the done thing for abbreviating then?) season there was one or two races where a Greek quy was participating.
    He basically was there because there are no Greek riders, so rather than the best riders getting a slot, anyone willing to give it a go got the slot. This guy was nowhere near the level of the pros he was riding with, so it really put their performance in stark contrast.
    The best bit was a large sandpit down a steep slope.

The pros climbed/rode up the slop and then threw themselves down through the sand with death defying gusto, leaning back over their saddles, counterbalancing and steering to stay upright in the loose sand.
    Then minutes later the lone Greek came by and came off over his handlebars somewhere a quarter of the way up the slop still.
    He did that for 3 or 4 rounds, falling every time and then retired from the race.
    It was quite hilarious.
  • pistol 31 Jan 2013 11:26:03 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Yay!

Count yourself lucky though, I've seen a Canyon (or was it a Rose?) with that blocky, black and neon yellow patterned tape that looks like a ZX81 vomited on it. I wasn't down with that, at all.

Speaking of white bikes, I'm found myself staring lustily at pictures of white Colnago Masters of late. I'm thinking of getting shot of the Allez to make space for one, but what to do when the weather is bad... Hmm...
    My main bike is a carbon white cube agree GTC SL, although only the frame and rear mech are standard. Everything else has been swapped out. Winter bike is a Cube Attempt and swapped are wheels and saddle.
  • elstoof 31 Jan 2013 11:40:33 7,498 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:

The things you have to do once married, eh?

I want to get a single-speed bike (probably cyclo-cross), but apparently we need to decorate all the rooms upstairs instead. :(
    That's reasonable, the rooms upstairs are for storing the bikes in, yes?

Edited by elstoof at 11:48:18 31-01-2013
  • MikeP 31 Jan 2013 12:10:15 1,880 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Working around the missus is a path fraught with danger :)

It's easier for me, mine owns a Condor Fratello so the bike questions tend to be technical rather than "what have you bought this time?"

• pistol 31 Jan 2013 12:53:07 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Working around the missus is a path fraught with danger :)

It's easier for me, mine owns a Condor Fratello so the bike questions tend to be technical rather than "what have you bought this time?"
    I guess I'm stating the obvious but if you're married and doing OK financially, spend the money on WTF you want, as long as the family is taken care of. If you don't have the funds you need to justify any big spend.

Personally I don't get these people that seem to tip-toe around their other halve's.
  • Vortex808 31 Jan 2013 13:08:18 7,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Personally I don't get these people that seem to tip-toe around their other halve's.
    I generally don't have any issues there, and we do ok financially, but these renovations could be rather pricy with her grand plans so it's more difficult than usual to justify me spending a fair wedge on what would be bike number 3.

Anyway, if I do go for it, I'll just blame you lot since I'm quite keen on genesis' range after someone linked one on here. ;-)
  • elstoof 31 Jan 2013 13:20:31 7,498 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nah, it's just a bit of fun and part of the dynamic between my wife and I. We both work, so what we spend out money on is up to us, it's just makes these sort of things a bit more special if you add the little games with the missus into the mix. Well, works for us at least ;)
  • Page

of 359 First / Last