The cycling thread Page 184

• Page

of 343 First / Last

• caligari 8 Jan 2013 22:19:56 16,999 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    caligari wrote:
    I'm looking around on eBay etc - what's the difference between short/long cages (expect for the length - natch)?
    I could be wrong, but I was always under the impression that short = 1 ring up front, medium = 2 rings up front, long = 3 rings up front.
    Ah, interesting - thanks, PT.
  • MikeP 8 Jan 2013 22:29:42 1,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @caligari

PT's response is a good way of thinking about it as a shorthand.

The derailleur cage length determines how much slack (known as capacity) the derailleur can take up as you change gears. It's worked out by the following formula:

Gear Capacity, measured in teeth = (largest rear sprocket + largest front ring) - (smallest rear + smallest front)

So if you had an 11-27 cassette, and a 50-34 chainset, your gear range capacity would be

(27+50) - (11+34) = 32

Provided the derailleur's capacity handling is higher than the calculated number it'll work, so long as it can also handle the largest rear sprocket, and also sometimes manufacturers also stipulate a max difference between the inner and outer front rings.

Road bike derailleurs have a smaller capacity and max sprocket size than MTB ones, which is why you sometimes see MTB rear mechs on really hardcore, low-geared road tourers.

Long cages give a bigger capacity but less crisp shifting, in general terms.

I run a 50-34 up front and an 11-28 on the back. That right at the end of the short cage Shimano 105 RD (max capacity 33T). The longer cage version handles 39T

Manufacturer's spec should tell you what you need to know.

Bet you never asked now :D

Edited by MikeP at 22:34:52 08-01-2013
  • Psychotext 8 Jan 2013 22:34:52 53,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ooh! lol
  • MikeP 8 Jan 2013 22:36:01 1,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Ooh! lol
    Properly flexing my bikenerd muscles there :p
  • Trafford 8 Jan 2013 23:32:11 5,639 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Quick glance and I thought you were talking about bottle cages!
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 01:29:08 53,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ugh god... am watching "Overcoming" and the massage scene is making me sick. He's basically cracking everything on the rider, and in some cases what seems like dislocating various bits (I assume he's actually not).

I hate massages, which I guess isn't helping.
  • kickerconspiracy 9 Jan 2013 02:11:51 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm never doing the Cat & Fiddle again.

I nearly died.
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 02:33:45 53,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good man. :)
  • elstoof 9 Jan 2013 07:19:42 6,635 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Ugh god... am watching "Overcoming" and the massage scene is making me sick. He's basically cracking everything on the rider, and in some cases what seems like dislocating various bits (I assume he's actually not).

Doesn't really sound like any massage I know of.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 08:45:04
    Lance Armstrong apparently doing a 90 minute interview with Oprah Winfrey next week.

Confession time?
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 11:24:57 86,415 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    Lance Armstrong apparently doing a 90 minute interview with Oprah Winfrey next week.

Confession time?
    So they'll have us believe anyway.

A total confession would have massive legal ramifications so I suspect this will be very carefully worded by lawyers whatever he has to say for himself.

It's just one more payday for the cheating cunt regardless. We should all boycott it really.
  • pistol 9 Jan 2013 11:39:51 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I wonder what the deal with this is:

"@NYDNSportsITeam: "60 Minutes Sports" to report that @LanceArmstrong offered USADA $250,000 in 2004. The anti-doping agency rejected his offer"
    Nothing suprises me with him and quite possibly true. He donated $25,000 and $100,000 to the UCI so why not USADA?

I still think it's all the tip of the iceberg and this latest interview he's doing on Oprah on the 17th should prove interesing. From what I understand it's a 90 min show but he's on for 19 minutes. Not sure if that's true but hardly enough time to get through the pleasantries, never mind provide detail.
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 11:41:42 53,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Leg is really painful today. I do hope that means it's healing or something. :(
  • pistol 9 Jan 2013 11:41:53 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

Is that the CSC one re the 2004 Tour?

Double disc.

I've had that for years and quite like it.
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 11:50:07 53,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, that one.
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 16:31:31 53,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have my stockings! They're not too bad if I'm honest... they mostly look like standard compression socks.

Took about 15 minutes to get on though. It's like trying to wear someone else's skin, except their skin is about a size smaller than mine.
  • kickerconspiracy 9 Jan 2013 16:41:27 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Slightly aroused.

Pics?
  • elstoof 9 Jan 2013 16:54:55 6,635 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My wife had to wear those after the c section, took her ages to get them on. Had to use the plastic wrapper as a smooth guiding device.
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 16:56:42 53,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't really take a decent one on my own.

• kalel 10 Jan 2013 13:11:15 86,415 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ten questions that Oprah will ask (from the guardian):

1 Have the past few months been crazy, emotional, frightening and full of lots of scandalous truly scandalous lies that sadly you can't talk about right now for legal reasons?

2 Would you like to see an uplifting montage of slow-motion footage of you looking triumphant and sad, soundtracked by Love Lift Us Up Where We Belong by Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes?

3 If you feel the need to cry, or even make your voice wobble a little like you're going to cry but instead fight back those tears and take a breath and keep right on with what you were saying because dammit you're better than this and you owe it to not just the world but to yourself to tell this story then do you think, Lance, that you might be best just giving in to it?

4 Do you by any chance have a folksy anecdote about something your father said to you when you were a very small boy, perhaps while sitting on a porch or playing catch in the back yard? You do?

5 Would you like to talk for quite a long time about what Being An American means to you?

6 Is there a sense that perhaps a lot of people have always been jealous of your success? That maybe there was and remains a lot of jealousy out there, a lot of European jealousy, a British press-led European conspiracy of jealousy? Do you think, Lance, that might be a possibility? I'm just putting it out there.

7 Looking back, how badly did the death of your dog when you were seven years old affect you? Looking at this picture of your dog can you feel the tears welling up, the anger coming out? Can you feel the tears for your dog? Would you like to reach out and pat the dog? Pat the dog, Lance. Cry. Cry and pat the dog.

8 Do you by any chance have plans for a nationwide tour of schools speaking about the dangers of caring too much, falling foul of the temptations of others, being at the wrong end of a vast sporting witch-hunt and basically not learning to love yourself enough?

9 How about a new book too? Possibly something in big type with lots of pictures called Lance: My Longest Journey or Lance: A New Hope or perhaps just Lance: I Suffered For Your Sins?

10 Shall we hug now?
  • Psychotext 10 Jan 2013 13:12:57 53,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hope that's from the onion and not from the guardian.
  • kalel 10 Jan 2013 13:21:43 86,415 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jan/09/ten-questions-oprah-wilfrey-lance-armstrong
  • sport 10 Jan 2013 13:25:57 12,578 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

Was tough initially, but managed to knock one out to that pic. Thanks Psycho!
  • Psychotext 10 Jan 2013 13:27:43 53,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :eek:
  • Salaman 10 Jan 2013 13:39:43 18,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

Were you hiding under my sofa to take that? Looks like the back of my cleaner's leg.

Psychotext wrote:
    Oh, and I cycle pretty much every other day... not just on the weekend.

Hopefully this shit hasn't damaged my muscles too much to affect that going forward. :(
    Don't worry. Just get one of them electric bikes if you struggle afterwards.

Edited by Salaman at 13:40:19 10-01-2013
  • Psychotext 10 Jan 2013 13:47:40 53,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need more Lemon Pledge.
  • elstoof 10 Jan 2013 13:51:22 6,635 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You seem very familiar with the shape of your cleaners legs salaman.
  • caligari 10 Jan 2013 19:52:27 16,999 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    @caligari

PT's response is a good way of thinking about it as a shorthand.

The derailleur cage length determines how much slack (known as capacity) the derailleur can take up as you change gears. It's worked out by the following formula:

Gear Capacity, measured in teeth = (largest rear sprocket + largest front ring) - (smallest rear + smallest front)

So if you had an 11-27 cassette, and a 50-34 chainset, your gear range capacity would be

(27+50) - (11+34) = 32

Provided the derailleur's capacity handling is higher than the calculated number it'll work, so long as it can also handle the largest rear sprocket, and also sometimes manufacturers also stipulate a max difference between the inner and outer front rings.

Road bike derailleurs have a smaller capacity and max sprocket size than MTB ones, which is why you sometimes see MTB rear mechs on really hardcore, low-geared road tourers.

Long cages give a bigger capacity but less crisp shifting, in general terms.

I run a 50-34 up front and an 11-28 on the back. That right at the end of the short cage Shimano 105 RD (max capacity 33T). The longer cage version handles 39T

Manufacturer's spec should tell you what you need to know.

Bet you never asked now :D
    No, I'm glad that I asked!

Thanks for the (very detailed) answer, sir - it's a real help.

Edited by caligari at 19:57:25 10-01-2013
  • pistol 10 Jan 2013 21:31:28 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Oprah interview is going to take place at Armstrong's home in Texas so really can't see him admitting much. No doubt it'll be hugely scripted and very light in content. Oprah's hardly known for taking a hard line approach. And there seems to be more evidence against him coming out by the day. The latest that the French lab that picked up his 2001 tour of Switzeland drug failure actually met with Armstrong and his team director Johan Bruyneel and showed them how to beat EPO tests. This has come out in the last couple of days.
  • Page

of 343 First / Last