The cycling thread Page 170

• Page

of 342 First / Last

• elstoof 20 Nov 2012 21:24:57 6,626 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder how much you need to spend to get invited. I doubt I'll find out, I buy all my Rapha gear from the club in Soho now as it's around the corner from work and I prefer to see things in the flesh before I buy.
  • Psychotext 20 Nov 2012 23:26:07 53,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did the 20 minute trainer road test tonight.

1: Filthy liars, it's an hour long!
    2: I got cramp in my left calf, not once, but twice. Not sure what the fuck that was about.
    3: I broke something on my trainer bike. Now it creaks every time I pedal and leans to the left.

I'll try again next week after I've bought another bike. lol
  • Psychotext 21 Nov 2012 13:14:15 53,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Talking of buying bikes, does anyone know what sites might be useful for used stuff? Seems that I can only really find anything on eBay and Gumtree.
  • Trafford 21 Nov 2012 13:17:19 5,622 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cycling Weekly classifieds?
  • elstoof 21 Nov 2012 13:21:34 6,626 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bikeradar forum.
  • Psychotext 21 Nov 2012 13:33:30 53,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ta
  • Psychotext 21 Nov 2012 14:55:52 53,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Might get one of these, which I just saw in Halfords

Very nice bit of kit for the price, could be of use off the trainer as well.
  • MikeP 21 Nov 2012 16:21:42 1,771 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bikeradar forum's been a good place for me to buy & sell stuff.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2012 07:57:25
    How much am I looking at if I want a beginner road bike, and necessary gear, to try it out and see if I like it? On a tight budget, so cheap as possible, 2md hand is obviously fine.

I'm thinking it's generally dryer and less muddy road cycling, rather than my MTB jaunts lately that leave me covered in mud and soaked.

Edited by Apostle at 07:59:15 22-11-2012
  • elstoof 22 Nov 2012 10:28:39 6,626 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can get a decent new road bike for 300, the Triban 3 from Decathlon is well specced for the price and extremely popular at entry level for good reason. Second hand is variable, depends a lot on how clued up you are about the size you need and what you know about spec and condition of components. You may need to factor in the cost of a service when going second hand as well. Kit wise, you don't really need anything more than you probably already have for riding your MTB to start with. Couple of lights to be seen with rather than to see perhaps.
  • pistol 22 Nov 2012 10:45:53 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Had my 2nd sportstest yesterday to see where I am since the last one in May. I was a little aprehensive as I've gained a few pound with relaxing the diet etc since last Sportive in Sept (got gold). We did all the usual stuff, VO2 max, maximum heart rate, fat percentage, muscle mass etc. How efficient I am at burning fat as energy (I wasn't last time).

Suprised at results as yes I've gained weight, but fat % is down and I've put on a bit of muscle (legs). All other muscles have got smaller and down to 10.3% fat. Apparently they reckon I could get to 8, or even 6 for Marmotte in July. I really can't see myself that low but they are convinced I could get there at the rate I'm improving. We'll see..

Interestingly, my MHR got to 193 and back in May it was 188. The general consensous is that I was probably fatigued and in an overtrained state last time, and this time the figures are much more accurate to where I am.

So chuffed I treated myself to a whole bottle of red...;-)
  • pistol 22 Nov 2012 10:50:15 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I did the 20 minute trainer road test tonight.

1: Filthy liars, it's an hour long!
    2: I got cramp in my left calf, not once, but twice. Not sure what the fuck that was about.
    3: I broke something on my trainer bike. Now it creaks every time I pedal and leans to the left.

I'll try again next week after I've bought another bike. lol
    The only reason you'll get cramp after an hour is due to the muscles not being used to the effort. Nutrition/hydration etc not relevant for such a short session. If you really pushed yourself beyond the norm it's possible to cramp.
  • Psychotext 22 Nov 2012 11:55:26 53,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was cramping in the warmup phase so I don't think it's that. I think it was a combination of the bike being fucked and not being properly recovered from a pretty hard ride on the weekend.

Have pushed myself far, far harder on normal rides than I did in the first half hour of that. Last half hour seemed to go ok (I guess my leg had it's fill of screwing with me by that point).

Oh, and congrats on your improvements. /thumbsup

Edited by Psychotext at 12:01:03 22-11-2012
  • gang_of_bitches 22 Nov 2012 13:32:06 5,442 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did anyone watch the Bradley Wiggins thing on Sky Atlantic last night? Most interesting bit I thought was team car coverage from TdF when Froome launched his mini breakaway, clearly not in the least planned by anyone but Froome and they were absolutely shitting themselves.
  • MikeP 22 Nov 2012 15:19:34 1,771 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Had my 2nd sportstest yesterday to see where I am since the last one in May. I was a little aprehensive as I've gained a few pound with relaxing the diet etc since last Sportive in Sept (got gold). We did all the usual stuff, VO2 max, maximum heart rate, fat percentage, muscle mass etc. How efficient I am at burning fat as energy (I wasn't last time).

Suprised at results as yes I've gained weight, but fat % is down and I've put on a bit of muscle (legs). All other muscles have got smaller and down to 10.3% fat. Apparently they reckon I could get to 8, or even 6 for Marmotte in July. I really can't see myself that low but they are convinced I could get there at the rate I'm improving. We'll see..

Interestingly, my MHR got to 193 and back in May it was 188. The general consensous is that I was probably fatigued and in an overtrained state last time, and this time the figures are much more accurate to where I am.

So chuffed I treated myself to a whole bottle of red...;-)
    Nice one Pistol, always good to see that the effort is being rewarded.

I'm off to see a trainer next week to get an overall fitness assessment. I've got a few residual niggles I'd like to get sorted, and seeing a racing cyclist who is also a physical therapist and a bike fitter seemed like a good route to take.
  • pistol 22 Nov 2012 15:37:53 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Did anyone watch the Bradley Wiggins thing on Sky Atlantic last night? Most interesting bit I thought was team car coverage from TdF when Froome launched his mini breakaway, clearly not in the least planned by anyone but Froome and they were absolutely shitting themselves.
    I enjoyed it, and where he was talking about going to the Ritz with all the top sky executives after the win with his son, and having to wipe his son's ass in the loo, and it bringing him back down to earth. That put a smile on my face. It was a good programme.
  • Vortex808 22 Nov 2012 16:37:56 6,965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I thought I'd seen it all.

Then I saw the Rapha Chris King coffee tamper.

I had a wander into the Rapha store near Soho when down in London this summer. I quite fancied buying something, then saw most of the prices.

I like their stuff, but sheesh...... as a mostly fair weather cyclist I can't justify those prices, especially not when the wife's with me! O_O

I'd completely forgotten all about the Wiggins thing on sky Atlantic last night, anyone know if it's being repeated?
  • elstoof 22 Nov 2012 17:22:05 6,626 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The first time I wet to that place was out shopping with my wife and suggested we pop in for a browse. As soon as we got through the door I suddenly realised my mistake, you could not have got us out of there quick enough... She saw a jersey I had and looked at the price tag, her mouth hit the floor. I dread to think what she would have done if she'd known that was the sale price and I paid rrp ;)
  • Psychotext 22 Nov 2012 17:45:45 53,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thankfully they don't put posh things near where I live. :D
  • Psychotext 23 Nov 2012 00:21:33 53,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, that's it. My trainer bike has gone to the big scrapyard in the sky.

Frame totally bent on the chainstay. Dismantled it, was not as cathartic as I would have hoped. Bit pissed off because now it's more urgent that I find a clunker and I didn't want to rush.

Not to mention missing my session tonight. :(
  • Psychotext 23 Nov 2012 03:53:03 53,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bah, I had a closer look at the specs on that Halfords bike and I'm not won over. I'm going to have to stick the trainer tyre back on my main bike which I'm not particularly pleased about.

If this goes too long I can see myself ducking out of training because it's starting to become too much hassle (I don't need much of an excuse).
  • pistol 23 Nov 2012 09:42:32 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    I thought I'd seen it all.

Then I saw the Rapha Chris King coffee tamper.

I had a wander into the Rapha store near Soho when down in London this summer. I quite fancied buying something, then saw most of the prices.

I like their stuff, but sheesh...... as a mostly fair weather cyclist I can't justify those prices, especially not when the wife's with me! O_O

I'd completely forgotten all about the Wiggins thing on sky Atlantic last night, anyone know if it's being repeated?
    It was in Sky Anytime yesterday I think.
  • Vortex808 23 Nov 2012 11:46:50 6,965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    pistol wrote:

It was in Sky Anytime yesterday I think.
    Cheers pistol, it was repeated on sky atlantic late last night, so I have recorded it.
  • Vortex808 24 Nov 2012 19:34:35 6,965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, the wiggins programme was far more informative than I thought it might be.

A lot of honesty & plain speaking going on. I loved some of Shane Sutton and Bradley's wife's comments!
  • MikeP 24 Nov 2012 21:03:22 1,771 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a big feature on Cath Wiggins in the latest copy of Rouleur. Not read it yet, but the pull quotes made it clear she's pretty forthright :)
  • Psychotext 24 Nov 2012 22:49:27 53,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Went down to my nephew's house to get my bike so I could put it on the trainer...

...took the wrong fucking car, couldn't fit the bike in. Came back empty handed. Feeling sorry for myself now, going to have a beer, a pizza and watch a film. :(
  • pistol 25 Nov 2012 21:51:45 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    There's a big feature on Cath Wiggins in the latest copy of Rouleur. Not read it yet, but the pull quotes made it clear she's pretty forthright :)
    Have to admit, neither of em are that blessed in the looks department....:)

I like Wiggo though.
  • caligari 26 Nov 2012 09:55:53 16,998 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any recommendations for a cheap (yet swanky) mountain bike?

I really want to fit a pair of ice tyres (this is your fault, Psychotext) to one so that I can continue to commute through Winter.
  • elstoof 26 Nov 2012 10:01:08 6,626 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How about some bigger brake calipers? Just how big are these tyres?
  • Psychotext 26 Nov 2012 10:50:02 53,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Any recommendations for a cheap (yet swanky) mountain bike?
    How much is cheap? Buying used is your best bet if you want something really good yet still cheap.
  • Page

of 342 First / Last