The cycling thread Page 163

• Page

of 343 First / Last

• elstoof 27 Oct 2012 17:47:56 6,674 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Neoprene overshoes do a good job of keeping feet warm, water usually works its way in any overshoes eventually by running down your leg but if your overshoes are made of wetsuit material that won't matter.

Glove wise, you can get these in neoprene too and they do a bang up job of keeping you warm while crucially being much thinner and less bulky than traditional hard shell + liner gloves. These are very much love hate gloves though, you need to put them on a minute or two before the ride so you can build up a layer of moisture inside then once you head out they stay warm. They also stay with a thin layer of moisture however, and you might not like the feeling. And they can stick a bit, turn them inside out after every ride and rinse with water if possible to alleviate this. Castelli make cycle specific ones or you can get cheaper kayak gloves for about a tenner that do the saem job.
  • Deleted user 27 October 2012 18:42:53
    Cheers elstoof, very interesting. To be honest I haven't seen any neoprene gloves, probably as I stick to shopping mostly on amazon lately. I just bought some regular cycling gloves, these ones (just noticed these have some neoprene on the wrist), hopefully they'll keep me warm enough but I figured I could put regular gloves underneath. I'll pop in the cycle shop and see if they have some neoprene ones to try on.

Edited by Apostle at 18:44:01 27-10-2012
  • Dougs 27 Oct 2012 21:07:18 66,766 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Proper winter gloves are my next thing I need, along with leggings/tights. My feet get cold with my SPDs, was planning to just double up/get better socks! Rarely get soaked so not sure overshoes are necessary.
  • Megapocalypse 27 Oct 2012 21:11:05 5,328 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Think I'm going to have be sensible this year and get some tires with a bit of tread for the winter. Its just not fun on the slicks in this weather.
  • mal 27 Oct 2012 21:18:15 22,341 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've got some insane gloves that are covered in fake fur on the inside. Only problem is, I've never experienced it cold enough that my hands don't overheat in them almost instantly.

Edit: What's wrong with slicks in the rain etc? I've never noticed a problem in mine, except occasionally on road markings which can get very slippery in the wet.

Edited by mal at 21:20:44 27-10-2012

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• elstoof 27 Oct 2012 21:26:06 6,674 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did all last winter with bib shorts, short sleeve merino base layer, long sleeve sportwool jersey and an ultra thin water and windproof shell, no overshoes, liner gloves under fingerless mitts.

It wasn't particularly pleasant though, for the first 10 minutes especially. Now my commute is so short I'll have to get myself some deeper winter stuff as I don't have time to work up any heat.
  • elstoof 27 Oct 2012 21:28:01 6,674 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Slicks on wet Tarmac are fine I find, when you have a grimy bit of road with mulched leaves and that it's a bit hairy. Wet metal and road markings are slippery on any tyre, treaded or slick.
  • urban 27 Oct 2012 22:06:33 10,926 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There definitely is a certain knack to sliding over drain coverings.

look straight forward and pray!
  • elstoof 28 Oct 2012 10:27:57 6,674 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yates leaves Team Sky, along with de Jongh. Next year will be tough. I don't see how Brailsford can expect to get coaching staff with good experience from the peloton over the past 10-20 years without any links to doping.
  • Vortex808 28 Oct 2012 12:23:03 6,980 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I read in today's sunday paper that it looks like Wiggins will aim for the Giro next year and may support Froome in the Tour since the route doesn't suit him.

Not too sure how I feel about that, despite it making sense. Last year's winner should surely try to defend their title as best they can, or at least until it's clear someone else from their team is in a better place for contention. I know it'd split or damage the teams chances, but still...

On the plus side, I was delighted to read that the Mcquaid and Verbruggen case against Kimmage has been put on hold, hopefully to be ditched as the farce it clearly was.
  • urban 28 Oct 2012 12:53:55 10,926 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    looking for a good single speed wheel set. recommendations?
  • Psychotext 28 Oct 2012 12:56:16 53,855 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I went out in my cold weather gear yesterday and pretty much melted after the first climb so took half of it off. Seems as long as my legs are covered and my jersey is windproof / resistant I'll be fine.

I'll try the full hog again when it goes sub zero (it was about 3 degrees yesterday).
  • elstoof 28 Oct 2012 13:00:46 6,674 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The whole team ethos is to have a team win year on year, it makes sense to have a climber attack the climb heavy tour. There's only 60 odd km of TT for wiggins to build a lead, and he'll struggle up those massive climbs compared to Contador and possibly Froome. I'd rather a Sky win than a Sky 2-3 because Froome blew up dragging Wiggins up d'Huez for the second time in a day.
  • Vortex808 28 Oct 2012 13:09:47 6,980 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know and understand that. I can even agree with the reasoning behind it.

It just seems a bit off really. I just can't imagine too many other tour winners not contesting their title.

Edited by Vortex808 at 13:10:16 28-10-2012
  • elstoof 28 Oct 2012 18:46:42 6,674 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MikeP How did the cyclocross at ally pally go?
  • elstoof 28 Oct 2012 18:46:56 6,674 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    urban wrote:
    looking for a good single speed wheel set. recommendations?
    Budget?
  • PeaceWalker 28 Oct 2012 18:56:44 63 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's the people dressed in reflective clothing, with their lights on...cycling ON THE PAVEMENT, that annoys me! When they tell you to move I usually just hit them!
  • Trafford 28 Oct 2012 19:08:26 5,644 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PeaceWalker wrote:
    It's the people dressed in reflective clothing, with their lights on...cycling ON THE PAVEMENT, that annoys me! When they tell you to move I usually just hit them!
    Yeah, we feel the same way about idiots blundering around the forum.
  • MikeP 28 Oct 2012 23:02:27 1,773 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    @MikeP How did the cyclocross at ally pally go?
    It was great fun, thanks. Did the fun category, so I got to ride through the wall of foam and use the tequila shortcut. I totally stacked it at one point too, but no meaningful damage to me or the bike. Not sure where I finished, but I think I did OK.

I also did Muddy Hell on Saturday night. Completely different style of course, in the dark, in fancy dress.

My legs are tired.
  • Psychotext 28 Oct 2012 23:37:22 53,855 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Talking of stacking it...

Was riding down a steep grassy trail with no obvious path on Saturday. Going fairly well, taking it cautious when I decide that I should probably start heading back up the hill (I'm riding downhill and slightly diagonal at this point). So I turn my wheel and get some reasonable momentum going before slowing down, bike angled upwards. I go to put my right foot down, except there obviously isn't anywhere to put it as it's just downslope on my right. Cue me rolling down the hill, bike still attached until I finally stop, laying on my back (still holding the bike) before throwing it off me.

Took so much bloody effort to push it back up the hill. :(

Edit - Also did some sort of bizarre slow motion endo where I was able to unclip and walk off the bike. Not entirely sure what happened there, I let go of the brakes but the wheel didn't unlock. I imagine it must have jammed up with mud (rim brakes).

Edited by Psychotext at 23:45:29 28-10-2012
  • Deleted user 30 October 2012 11:53:22
    Got my old gloves out today, but it was surprisingly mild.

Has anyone tried/got one of these mobile phone mounts/cradles? I'd like to keep a check on my endomodo app, but also considering using the camera to film my ride.

Whoop, just got all my cycling gear delivered! Weeee.

Edited by Apostle at 11:56:59 30-10-2012
  • Psychotext 30 Oct 2012 11:59:14 53,855 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I use one of these (not this exact model), pointless having something that isn't waterproof in the UK.
  • Deleted user 30 October 2012 12:05:49
    Yes you are right, thinking about it there's going to be mud and water spraying about even if it's not raining. Is there a clear plastic hole for the camera?
  • Psychotext 30 Oct 2012 12:38:29 53,855 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not on that one, it's basically just so you can use the apps and whatnot.
  • Bremenacht 30 Oct 2012 14:13:03 17,622 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Edit - Also did some sort of bizarre slow motion endo where I was able to unclip and walk off the bike. Not entirely sure what happened there, I let go of the brakes but the wheel didn't unlock. I imagine it must have jammed up with mud (rim brakes).
    I did something similar going uphill along a mucky path. I was off the saddle, puffing away making hard work of it when the front wheel just jammed and tipped me off. I'd collected so much crud on the tyres that it had jammed against the mudguard. Now I know why so many XC bikes don't have regular mudguards.
  • andytheadequate 30 Oct 2012 14:43:57 8,085 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Real men don't use mud guards :)
  • jellyhead 30 Oct 2012 15:03:03 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    True, they just wander around looking like they've shat themselves up their backs :)

/ hugs 3/4 wheel mud-guards - gets muddy

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Psychotext 30 Oct 2012 15:17:31 53,855 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll be sticking my crud catchers on the the first weekend I go out in the rain.
  • Page

of 343 First / Last