Ah, sore arse. I'd forgotten about that bit
  • quadfather 22 Oct 2017 18:46:50 29,637 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    New page zing
  • Immaterial 22 Oct 2017 19:05:01 2,213 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Something something something hotel room.

Glad you're loving the Bizango.
  • quadfather 22 Oct 2017 19:19:53 29,637 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fucking hell does everyone know about that?!

Yeah it's great. Gave it a wash down afterwards and we're on the tissington trail next Sunday, whatever that's going to be like!
  • quadfather 31 Oct 2017 12:32:41 29,637 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did 20 miles on the tissington trail on Sunday. Wasn't as interesting as the monsul one though, mainly because it was so damn busy and the trail is really thin so you're all in single file and can't have banter and constantly slowing down for other people.

Plus 2 of us (me included) had 2 punctures in the first half hour, and we'd started off late. One of those days.

Decided this Sunday we'll do the Derwent run near the reservoirs in a circular route. It's more hilly, but we're also putting a pub into the equation too to break it up a bit more.

Still got saddlesore but not as bad as last week.

And my appetite has shot through the roof recently. Seem to be waking my body up which is good
  • Psychotext 31 Oct 2017 22:54:44 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    First training session, working back into it.

Went ok, but is a significantly reduced FTP.
  • mal 1 Nov 2017 01:05:00 28,634 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nice. I don't work with trainers and power meters and all the lark. I did buy into it a few years ago, getting ANT+ stuff to convert my running watch into a bike watch, but in practice when I'd learned what going over my specified max heart rate I can spot it even without a HRM and back off the heat. I just switched to the slightly shorter route up the hill that doesn't go quite up to the same elevations although it's about as steep just shorter and joins the home route at it's lowest point along the tops, after I had a cold recently and didn't want to push it by going out and getting physically hot and cold at the same time. I'm still not quite up to getting up the shorter route, and have been forced to walk up the steeper bits a couple of times, but I'm having to get off closer to the top each time, so I'll be back.
  • Psychotext 1 Nov 2017 02:12:40 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've sort of lost the will to really hurt myself, so I'll have to change my training accordingly, but hopefully I can get some fitness back.
  • Dougs 1 Nov 2017 07:04:53 83,923 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You can be fit without punishing yourself!
  • elstoof 1 Nov 2017 10:09:31 18,841 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lies
  • Psychotext 1 Nov 2017 11:20:13 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can probably be fit, but I very much doubt I can be as fast as I was.
  • MikeP 2 Nov 2017 22:45:16 2,821 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've been upping the training recently. form is coming back OK. First time I did a session was horrible, but sticking at it I'm definitely coming along.

It's uncomfortable, but I'm going for some intensity over the next two weeks to get a bit of form ahead of a cycling break in Spain.
  • Psychotext 2 Nov 2017 23:03:39 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll be working at 10% off where I was previously so as to stave off burnout for a while. Forcing myself into the garage was taking a legendary amount of willpower when I was at my peak.
  • Psychotext 3 Nov 2017 16:11:10 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks like the old Boris bikes have had some tweaks.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/pashley-s-sadiq-cycle-is-streets-ahead-of-the-existing-boris-bike/022089
  • caligari 9 Nov 2017 23:33:50 17,737 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sheesh, be careful on those pretty carpets of autumnal leaves, guys. I managed to slide off spectacularly yesterday - in front of an appreciative audience, natch.

Edited by caligari at 23:34:28 09-11-2017
  • mal 10 Nov 2017 01:45:02 28,634 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    How fat are your tyres? I did manage to lose my back wheel as I was chugging uphill on a layer of builder's sand left after some roadworks/wall building, but I've not yet come off on leaves, I guess because my half square inch of contact patch basically shreds puny leaves under wheel as I squelch through them.
  • Psychotext 10 Nov 2017 01:59:01 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've lost it on leaves a few times, and that's on a MTB. Sometimes it's just your time to break something.
  • caligari 10 Nov 2017 02:37:47 17,737 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Jah, 700x25 Conti Season tyres. I think it was just a particularly dodgy patch - a fairly new & shiny cycle path directly underneath a row of massive load-shedding trees, combined with a delivery van deciding to pull out in front of me.
  • Psychotext 10 Nov 2017 12:18:31 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2017/nov/10/pump-up-velo-palermo-teenagers-bikes-stereos-in-pictures

Edited by Psychotext at 12:18:43 10-11-2017
  • Mfolf 10 Nov 2017 12:27:12 1,551 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Loving my new bike but I canít get used to gears. Itís a cx bike so road bike gear shofters which Iím not used to. Also worried Iím buggered it as Iím definitely feeling a bit more resistance cycling than I did the first week... any obvious things I should check first? (Total noob to cycling).
  • MikeP 11 Nov 2017 11:45:16 2,821 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Does it have disc brakes? If so sossibly a rotor is rubbing. Lift each wheel off the ground and then spin the wheel - it should rotate freely

Other things are to see if a tyre is rubbing the frame, although that's normally very noisy, and unlikely on a CX bike as the clearances are big.
  • caligari 11 Nov 2017 12:22:45 17,737 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mfolf wrote:
    Loving my new bike but I canít get used to gears. Itís a cx bike so road bike gear shofters which Iím not used to. Also worried Iím buggered it as Iím definitely feeling a bit more resistance cycling than I did the first week... any obvious things I should check first? (Total noob to cycling).
    Also, possibly a dumb question, but what tyres do you have on it? When I am running larger knobbly MTB-style tyres on my CX bike then things can feel rather slow and sludgy when on tarmac. Those tyres can also be run at a very low pressure - it might be worth checking that both are fully inflated (I sometimes go a good few miles before even noticing a puncture).

If in doubt, I'd definitely recommend taking it to your nearest bike shop - they'll hopefully give it a quick check over to make sure that nothing needs replacing/adjusting.

PS - don't worry about the shifters - you will get used to them after a week or so. I remember being too embarrassed to ask about how to change gears after buying my first road bike. It took much poking and prodding until things started to make sense.

Edited by caligari at 12:25:35 11-11-2017
  • mothercruncher 11 Nov 2017 21:13:49 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Track Cycling World Cup has been fab today. On tomorrow too- red button on the BBC.
  • Psychotext 11 Nov 2017 22:10:00 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Goddamn, I hate Saturday sessions on TrainerRoad.
  • caligari 14 Nov 2017 17:09:24 17,737 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I dropped my beloved road bike off at a friendly local bike shop, complete with new goodies to be fitted - chainrings, stem, headset cap - all things that I should REALLY be able to attach myself.

They've now contacted me to say that the bearings in my Fulcrum Quattro wheels need replacing. These were last replaced in April 2016 - is it normal to burn through wheel bearings in that amount of time? The bike is used pretty much every day of the year (excluding our terrifying snow days) but I'm not exactly cycling 'sportive' distances.

Apparently the headset is making lots of strange noises (I have to admit that I thought that the cracks and groans were coming from me) and ALSO needs to be replaced. Part of me gets a little excited when I have to buy sparkly new bicycle bits/accessories, but I've never had to buy anything headset related (err, excluding the aforementioned cap) - any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Edited by caligari at 17:15:08 14-11-2017
  • mal 14 Nov 2017 17:46:58 28,634 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hmm, unless your geometry is very strange indeed, in my experience headsets almost never need replacing. How winding are your roads?

Likewise, I tend to break the rims on my wheels before I go through their bearings. That seems odd to me too. But new bearings and a bit of grease shouldn't really break the bank, and is a pretty quick job, so I wouldn't expect them to charge much for those.

I've never replaced my chainrings yet either, although I've rebuilt by front forks after a crash, and changed my cassette and chain a few times now. As far as I know it would mean I need to get my bottom bracket open, and I've not quite braved that yet.
  • elstoof 14 Nov 2017 19:11:08 18,841 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bike shops love replacing bearings. Itís easy to do, so as long as they arenít charging excessive labour or parts costs let them do it. 5 minutes job. Itís hard to say for definite if your bearings are actually shot, Iíd say they probably arenít, but as I say if they want to do it for a few quid let them carry on. Unless youíre a filthy fecker, headsets just donít wear out and any creaking comes from incorrect preload tension
  • MikeP 14 Nov 2017 19:45:33 2,821 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Headsets do wear out, or more accurately, the bearings do. A lot of road bikes have incredibly poor sealing on the lower race, especially carbon frames with integrated (internal) headsets.

If you ride them in the wet with no mudguards, water gets forced in there and does plenty of corrosion damage. I've often had to replace them. The upper one lasts way longer, unless you sweat into it.

As for bearings, make sure they're using a quality brand like SKF - better service life.

And headsets, this depends on what style you have. If it's one with external cups then Cane Creek & Hope are both very solid headset choices.
  • Psychotext 14 Nov 2017 19:52:09 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've destroyed more than a few. I suspect that's mostly because I go over the top with the cleaning though.
  • mothercruncher 14 Nov 2017 20:50:44 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Incredible video of an incredible rider:

• Page

of 520 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.