Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gamecat wrote:
    I tweaked last night after posting and went with:
  • mothercruncher 24 Sep 2017 14:58:00 13,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks gamecat, appreciated.
    Every step of getting set-up for this has been clunky and unclear. It's a good job riding is fun- despite a sometimes clunky and unclear fucking game, ugh!

Even selecting the correct settings in these menus is weird. I sat and let the game fully search and I was being offered multiple options in menus for the same trainer. You'd think that the cadence menu would just offer the cadencemeasuring data, but, no, it offers ELITE PWR, ELITE FE-C and ELITE Cadence options. Fine if that's in some way useful but none of it is bloody explained.

For you, is there any reason why you'd go for ELITE FE-C in the Power Source bit, instead of ELITE PWR?
  • Psychotext 24 Sep 2017 15:42:19 61,813 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finish was even more exciting on the Men's world championship road race with the screwed up motorbike cameras!

Sagan does it again!
  • grey_matters 24 Sep 2017 15:46:12 4,312 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Finish was even more exciting on the Men's world championship road race with the screwed up motorbike cameras!

Sagan does it again!
    It made following by text commentary worse though!
  • gamecat 24 Sep 2017 16:01:02 664 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure of the difference really, I paired it like that initially and it worked so I just left it, had a quick google and your setup might be better for having less resistance downhill. Must admit if I'm on a group ride it's sometimes tricky to keep up with people on dumb trainers downhill, so maybe I'll try the other option later.
    Zwift itself seems a bit of a mess menu wise, music is horrible, you have to completely exit the thing after a ride, and it lives in you sys tray without asking then crashing if you sleep your pc, good job it's fun.

There's also;

https://www.roadgrandtours.com
    http://bigringvr.com

if you fancy an alternative to Zwift, both free betas at the mo. The first one I tried but had a weird bug where I would just coast forever at 20kph, so gave up on that. The other I've not had a go on yet.
  • mothercruncher 24 Sep 2017 17:02:48 13,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool, ta. I'll look into those. I think they're probably a really good thing- Zwift is miles ahead of others but a little competition might spur them on a bit. A couple of years in and you need to quit the software to do a new ride- this is Alpha level poor.
    But, have done a couple of races Fri/Sat (at the back with another bloke) and then optimistically decided I'd measure my FTP earlier today. It was comical, had no idea how hard I should be pushing.
    I like it, a touch rough around then edges but with a good solid core- fun, motivating and a reasonable training tool t'boot.
  • gamecat 24 Sep 2017 19:40:31 664 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Races are mad, everybody goes flat out for the first 10 mins till a leading bunch forms, then it's just trying to stay with them till you get dropped. My best effort was a full lap with a B race before dropping off to join the stragglers because I thought I might die. I did an FTP test too early as well, it was way off what I could actually push myself to, took another couple of goes before I found that limit.

Edit: changed it to PWR, couldn't tell any difference. Also did a B race and stayed in the peleton till the final sprint, OK came 13th in the end, but was chuffed with that.

Edited by gamecat at 21:14:50 24-09-2017
  • Chug666 24 Sep 2017 21:17:18 328 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished fitting my first ever set of full mudguards in preparation for wintery commutes. Now there is a fiddly & frustrating job for a Sunday! Thought it would take an hour tops but it was at least double that, with much muttering, swearing and searching for the bits I dropped as I wrestled them into place. Is there an easy technique I'm missing or are they generally a huge pain in the arse to set up?
  • mal 24 Sep 2017 22:24:55 28,308 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Full mudguards that go into eyelets in your frame and things I assume? Something more than a bit of velcro onto your seat post at least. I've never taken mine off, but I can imagine they'd be a bit of a faff given some of the filigree'd accoutrements that attach it to the frame.
  • Immaterial 26 Sep 2017 23:10:45 2,209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just spent £150 getting my £600 Bizango serviced after 1000 miles. New chain (3rd one) , cassette, outer chain ring, buckle to rear wheel.

Well, at least I've got my money's worth out of it.
  • mothercruncher 2 Oct 2017 20:21:13 13,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Turns out carbon wheels can take a fair bit of abuse:

• Psychotext 2 Oct 2017 22:31:40 61,813 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, that's legit impressive. They might not be lighter than aluminium, but they can clearly take some shit.
  • papalazarou 7 Oct 2017 08:17:47 117 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looking at some winter training. can't stand the monotony of the gym and am looking at rollers vs turbo...from what I can see rollers look to keep you more alert due to the risk of falling off etc, however lots of opinion that turbo is better for intervals etc. would mainly be using to get stronger over winter.

Any thoughts?
  • elstoof 7 Oct 2017 08:41:31 18,493 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rollers wonít make you strong, you can happily push your hardest gear unless you get an expensive resistance unit. Itís a bit more like riding a bike than a turbo, but as youíll need to do incredibly long sessions to get any benefit itíll be even more boring. Once youíve got the balancing sussed youíre kept no more alert than you would otherwise be. Turbo is a much better bet for gaining strength, as you can do proper intervals and structured training, use zwift or whatever. Kinetic turbos are good fluid units with reliable resistance, if you havenít got a power meter then you can add their InRide dongle for cheap power training, essential with a turbo really.

Or put the money towards a good jacket and tights
  • JoelStinty 7 Oct 2017 09:00:09 5,694 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I might pick up a turbo for my birthday next week. But to be honest it is pretty mild in the uk all year round and I now got bib tights and 1x long sleeve and 1x wind/water resistance jersey so Iím all set really for winter. And wondering if it is just a waste of money . Actually worked a little bit on my defy yesterday to get it ready for the coming months. Luckily we had some bone dry days so still using my tcr.

I guess it would be a good to have a back up plan for those wet days when I donít want to go out or just smash out 30 minutes on those busy days.

Most gyms do pay as you go options as well now so there is always that option too!

Edited by JoelStinty at 09:01:16 07-10-2017
  • mothercruncher 7 Oct 2017 09:13:14 13,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Get a ďsmartĒ Bluetooth/Ant+ one if youíve the funds, then youíve got access to the world of them being controlled by software- variable resistance, simulating hills etc- and it becomes significantly less boring.
  • JoelStinty 7 Oct 2017 09:15:36 5,694 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah i been looking at picking up the Taxc vortex. Would love to try out zwift/trainer road etc.
  • papalazarou 7 Oct 2017 09:17:30 117 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    thanks for the replies...anyone got experience of the tacx smart flow trainer?† a trainer is looking a v good option as with three unde 5's, one of which is a new born, rides out are a rare pleasure at present!
  • elstoof 7 Oct 2017 10:37:35 18,493 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rides on a trainer are similarly rare with kids, the loud noise either wakes the kids or pisses off the wife
  • papalazarou 7 Oct 2017 11:28:35 117 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    garage for me
  • Psychotext 7 Oct 2017 13:59:02 61,813 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are trainers that are fairly quiet, but fucking expensive.

But that's largely irrelevant given the need to use a huge fan to keep you cool.

Oh, and as always with this sort of stuff. DC Rainmaker is the place to go.

Edited by Psychotext at 13:59:37 07-10-2017
  • gamecat 7 Oct 2017 15:16:47 664 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just remembered I have some 30% off codes for Rapha expiring 8th October, so if you like overpriced poncy clothing knock yourself out (I don't get anything back from these, they sent them to me cos I bought a top about 2 years ago, in a sale).

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en

Pass these on to friends:
    LCB-W8WH-GK3W-8HYY
    LCB-WY1B-1BHB-MK7Y
    LCB-WXZX-GY18-XGW1
  • mothercruncher 7 Oct 2017 15:54:51 13,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vortex slightly better than the Flow if you can push to it- offers a little higher watts, but for general training I wouldnít sweat it.
    Yes, youíll want a fan and, at least, a yoga mat under you as you sweat biblically. If you've an iPad, Android tablet or a PC then Zwift offer a 7 day free trial and itís seven days of use, not consecutive, which is nice.
    If youíre trying Zwift then youíll need an Ant+ USB dongle and USB 2 xtension lead to place it next to your trainer.

My Elite Rampa is really very quiet... at the moment.
  • JoelStinty 7 Oct 2017 15:59:44 5,694 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Annoyingly i think i have an iPad mini 1 which isn't compatible with zwift, and my MPB is 7 years old so probably wouldn't run it either. I wonder if my parents laptop as smart bluetooth or i try air playing my phone or something.
  • Psychotext 7 Oct 2017 16:00:31 61,813 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can get an ANT+ dongle for fuck all.
  • mothercruncher 7 Oct 2017 16:17:53 13,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some use a lightning to HDMI adaptor to go from phone/pad to TV, works but with just a bit of extra lag apparently.
  • JoelStinty 13 Oct 2017 11:46:45 5,694 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I bit the bullet and brought a vortex, should be arriving within the hour \o/

Come at a handy time really as i burnt my hand during the week quite badly, and lost a fair of skin on my index finger, my hand is a petroleum jelly mess at the moment so didn't fancy going out on the bike with it, a)getting my handlebars all sticky, and b) just the risk of knocking it and being too cautious with using my hand and hence getting into an accident.(over worrying ;) ).

Also my iPad is actually a iPad mini 2 not a 1 like i thought it was, so , barring the thing not working, all good to go!
  • quadfather 13 Oct 2017 12:01:25 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, I'm going to buy a bike, as I a) want one, and b) need more exercise.

So I live in a valley near the peak district, so while there's plenty of places to go, the majority of the terrain can be hard going. Shit, it's hard enough getting out of the village on a bike as it is, never mind actually riding places.

Anyway, couple of mates have got some and the plan is to ride around each weekend locally (road, off-road, mud, cobbles will be encountered), and sometimes we'll put them in the van and drive somewhere where we'll probably encounter the same type of surfaces.

So the way I see it, I need -

1) A mountain bike
    2) Something made of a light metal as I'm tall and will need a 22-23" frame and we will have to be lugging them a bit over style's etc.
    3) A comfy seat

Apart from the above, I have no idea what's on offer nowadays, what the prices are, or what I should generally be going for.

Is there a sort of top-ten list of things I need to look at before I go looking at some bikes?

Budget is around 200-400 to start with, and finance will probably help.

Any ideas?

Edit - I guess I need some lights and a helmet too. Anything else?

Edited by quadfather at 12:02:31 13-10-2017
  • Chug666 13 Oct 2017 13:52:13 328 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @quadfather I got myself a Voodoo Bizango over the summer for hardtail mountain biking fun (https://www.cyclerepublic.com/voodoo-bizango-29er-mountain-bike-2016.html)- after some recommendations from other on here. It gets good reviews and I've been enjoying it lots! Think it ticks all of your boxes apart from the price, but if you can get it on a cycle to work scheme it would just squeak under...
  • Page

of 517 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.